• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware Do you think there is still a market for a dedicated handheld ?

Would you like to see a new handheld system by Nintendo ?

• Yes

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 62.5%

• Total voters
if you dont reduce the display size (and you cant, because even the lite has problem displaying all information of modern games)
I don't think it's any more a problem now than with products like the Game Boy Micro. As long as it didn't go under 4.3", it would be less scaled down than that. If there were a small $150 model without even real analog sticks, I wouldn't go in expecting it to be the ideal way to play all games, just a very convenient way to play enough of them.

It entirely depends on what you classify a dedicated handheld to be. Most devices these days have the ability to output a signal to a TV/Monitor through some form of HDMI or USB-C. So if a dedicated handheld means no video out then yeah, probably in the long run the dedicated handheld won't have much of a future.

If however, you ignore video out as a qualification and just stick to performance and form factor then dedicated handhelds still have a future.

Really the only difference between the Switch and other handhelds these days is that Nintendo lock performance profiles whereas you can modify them on other devices as you want (and obvs OS stuff).

So for my money, you can either refer to most handhelds on the market now as hybrids or handhelds, and I personally choose the latter. So I think they have a future.

Also, I just realized the thread title and the poll ask two different questions. No! Leave that habit behind on ResetERA.

Made a very rough edit of N3DSXL. Added necessary width to screen (resulting in 5.1" diagonal), spread things out a bit down below and put the speakers there since there's a lot of room no longer being taken up by that screen.
15CZaXh.jpg
gpd-xd-64-gb-red.jpeg

should look at the Powkiddy X18 series rather than the XD. It's a 5.5" screen like the Lite and results in a handheld that is only slightly bigger than the 3DSXL.
screenshot_2022-09-08hqivp.jpg

EDIT: Actually screw the X18. The Win 1 is a 5.5" screen and smaller than the 3DSXL and the Win 2 is barely bigger and fits a 6" screen. There is no reason for a 5.1" screen in something the size of the 3DSXL.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom