• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Do you think that Nintendo's partners and subsidiaries have management issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I… the Switch output is similar to WiiU? How? There’s about a hundred first party games on Switch, and plenty of series never turned up at all on WiiU.
In terms of quantity of new first party games. The Switch has more by virtue of all the Wii U ports and having more years on the Wii U. Like yeah if the Wii U was a successful console it would've been supported longer with more first party games.

If you compare the amount of new first party releases it's a similar output year-to-year. The Wii U's active years of 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 are comparable to the Switch's 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020.

In terms of quantity of new first party games. The Switch has more by virtue of all the Wii U ports and having more years on the Wii U. Like yeah if the Wii U was a successful console it would've been supported longer with more first party games.

If you compare the amount of new first party releases it's a similar output year-to-year. The Wii U's active years of 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 are comparable to the Switch's 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020.
You didn't answer the question.

How many Wii U games did Nintendo publish?

How many Switch games has Nintendo published to date?

I think people vastly overstate how much of the Switch is built on Wii U ports.

You are going based off your feelings "I feel like the Switch output is exactly the same as the Wii U" is differnt from "The Switch's output is exactly the same as the Wii U." I get it, when there are games I don't want to play, the number of games Switch puts out will mean nothing as "games I want to play" is still zero...but that is still different to actual reality. Others play vasts amounts of games you won't touch, it isn't fair nor sensible to discount them for what you want.

Decided to fact check this.

Its hard to establish specific number here, given that some Nintendo published games are essentially just 3rd party games (I.E. Octopath Traveler) and some are pretty small in scope (Jump Rope Challenge) but across both consoles lifespans, there are roughly ~80 Switch games and ~40 Wii U games that are 1st party (No ports, only remakes and/or high end remasters). Given that the Switch has been out for roughly 7.167 years, and the Wii U’s lifespan ran for roughly 4.25 years, that gives us an average of 11 Switch games per year vs. 9.5 Wii U games per year. So the Switch is already outpacing the Wii U on its own, across a pandemic no less.

Additionally, that’s only counting standalone releases. The Switch has had significantly better post-launch support for its games, while the Wii U had fairly little. The Wii U also had a much more uneven library; both have their stinkers, but the Wii U’s are much more notable. The Wii U library has more games smaller in scope as well.

Add in the multitude of remasters and ports (which do take time, they can’t be ignored), more 3rd party publishing deals, and the lengthening of game development time across the board, and it’s pretty clear that the Switch’s yearly output vastly outpaces the Wii U’s.

Last edited:
# of Wii U vs Switch games in the same time frame (over 4 years and 3 Months, the lifecycle of the Wii U).
No ports/remasters/remakes. Original, exclusive, Nintendo-published games only.
"Nintendo Developed" = Nintendo + close partners (Intelligent Systems, HAL Labs, etc). No Platinum, Sega, Omega Force, etc. It's just the definition I came up with, I'm open to disagreements.
I'm sure I missed a few but hopefully this helps.
Source: Wikipedia

Wii U: 48 Exclusives, 35 Nintendo Developed
New Super Mario Bros U
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Wii Karaoke U
Wii Street U
Game & Wario

Pokemon Rumble U
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U

The Wonderful 101
Wii Party U
Wii Fit U

Mario & Sonic 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Super Mario 3D World
NES Remix
Dr. Luigi
DKC: Tropical Freeze

Just Dance Wii U
NES Remix 2
Mario Kart 8
Pushmo World

Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 2
Fatal Frame 5
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Super Smash Bros. 4

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Kirby and The Rainbow Curse
Mario Party 10
Mario vs DK: Tipping Stars
amiibo tap
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Yoshi's Woolly World

Art Academy: Home Studio
Devil's Third
Super Mario Maker
Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Yo-kai Watch Dance: Just Dance Special Version (I have been cursed with the knowledge of this game's existence)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge
Pokken Tournament
Star Fox Zero
Star Fox Guard

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Paper Mario: Color Splash
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Switch: 50 Exclusives, 31 Nintendo Developed
1-2-Switch
Arms
Splatoon 2

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Fire Emblem Warriors (Simultaneous 3DS release)
Super Mario Odyssey
Snipperclips
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kirby Star Allies
Labo Variety Kit
Labo Robot Kit

Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido (Simultaneous 3DS release)
Mario Tennis Aces
Go Vacation
Labo Vehicle Kit
Super Mario Party
Pokemon Let's Go
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Yoshi's Crafted World
Labo VR
Super Mario Maker 2

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Tetris 99
Astral Chain
Ring Fit Adventure
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
Paper Mario: The Origami King

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Buddy Mission Bond
New Pokemon Snap
Flip Wars
Karaoke Joysound for Nintendo Switch
Pokemon Quest
BoxBoy! + BoxGirl!

Cadence of Hyrule
Super Kirby Clash
The Stretchers
Good Job!
Jump Rope Challenge
Pokemon Cafe Mix (Simultaneous Mobile Release)
Kirby Fighters 2

Super Mario Bros. 35
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
Mario & Sonic 2020 Olympic Games

# of Wii U vs Switch games in the same time frame (over 4 years and 3 Months, the lifecycle of the Wii U).
No ports/remasters/remakes. Original, exclusive, Nintendo-published games only.
"Nintendo Developed" = Nintendo + close partners (Intelligent Systems, HAL Labs, etc). No Platinum, Sega, Omega Force, etc. It's just the definition I came up with, I'm open to disagreements.
I'm sure I missed a few but hopefully this helps.
Source: Wikipedia

Wii U: 48 Exclusives, 35 Nintendo Developed
New Super Mario Bros U
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Wii Karaoke U
Wii Street U
Game & Wario

Pokemon Rumble U
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U

The Wonderful 101
Wii Party U
Wii Fit U

Mario & Sonic 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Super Mario 3D World
NES Remix
Dr. Luigi
DKC: Tropical Freeze

Just Dance Wii U
NES Remix 2
Mario Kart 8
Pushmo World

Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 2
Fatal Frame 5
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Super Smash Bros. 4

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Kirby and The Rainbow Curse
Mario Party 10
Mario vs DK: Tipping Stars
amiibo tap
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Yoshi's Woolly World

Art Academy: Home Studio
Devil's Third
Super Mario Maker
Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Yo-kai Watch Dance: Just Dance Special Version (I have been cursed with the knowledge of this game's existence)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge
Pokken Tournament
Star Fox Zero
Star Fox Guard

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Paper Mario: Color Splash

Switch: 50 Exclusives, 31 Nintendo Developed
1-2-Switch
Arms
Splatoon 2

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Fire Emblem Warriors (Simultaneous 3DS release)
Super Mario Odyssey
Snipperclips
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kirby Star Allies
Labo Variety Kit
Labo Robot Kit

Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido (Simultaneous 3DS release)
Mario Tennis Aces
Go Vacation
Labo Vehicle Kit
Super Mario Party
Pokemon Let's Go
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Yoshi's Crafted World
Labo VR
Super Mario Maker 2

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Tetris 99
Astral Chain
Ring Fit Adventure
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
Paper Mario: The Origami King

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Buddy Mission Bond
New Pokemon Snap
Flip Wars
Karaoke Joysound for Nintendo Switch
Pokemon Quest
BoxBoy! + BoxGirl!

Cadence of Hyrule
Super Kirby Clash
The Stretchers
Good Job!
Jump Rope Challenge
Pokemon Cafe Mix (Simultaneous Mobile Release)
Kirby Fighters 2

Super Mario Bros. 35
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
Mario & Sonic 2020 Olympic Games
@Thunder84's post is a more appropriate statistical analysis. Doing an average over an entire console's lifespan is more fair than comparing the output over an arbitrary amount of time which for one console is its entire lifespan but for the other is only half. Plus, one of those years for the Switch is the pandemic, which is unfair for obvious reasons. Please number responsibly.

This is the kind of ridiculous thinking that has led Sony down its current path where strict critical and commercial targets are enforced top down and those not meeting their standards are literally chopped.

It has killed their output. It has killed off their variety. They are worse off for it.

I prefer engage to Three Houses. Scarlett and Voilet are the most fun I've had with Pokemon since I was a kid. To present these as failures of management when they are great games with commercial success is the most try hard concern trolling I've seen at this place. What nonsense

@Thunder84's post is a more appropriate statistical analysis. Doing an average over an entire console's lifespan is more fair than comparing the output over an arbitrary amount of time which for one console is its entire lifespan but for the other is only half. Plus, one of those years for the Switch is the pandemic, which is unfair for obvious reasons. Please number responsibly.
Fair enough, I only formatted it that way because that's what the above people were comparing and asking for (or at least that's how I read it).

48 Wii U exclusives over 51 months (11.3 per year) vs 81 Switch exclusives over 86 months (11.3 per year)
First party only: 35 Wii U first-party exclusives over 51 months (8.2 per year) vs 53 Switch first-party exclusives over 86 months (7.3 per year)

Not including ports/remasters/remakes because this was originally about "new first-party games". And to be clear, I've been very happy with Nintendo's output this generation. I certainly don't think they've mismanaged anything. Just trying to provide some numbers.

You didn't answer the question.

How many Wii U games did Nintendo publish?

How many Switch games has Nintendo published to date?

You are going based off your feelings "I feel like the Switch output is exactly the same as the Wii U" is differnt from "The Switch's output is exactly the same as the Wii U." I get it, when there are games I don't want to play, the number of games Switch puts out will mean nothing as "games I want to play" is still zero...but that is still different to actual reality. Others play vasts amounts of games you won't touch, it isn't fair nor sensible to discount them for what you want.

Decided to fact check this.

Its hard to establish specific number here, given that some Nintendo published games are essentially just 3rd party games (I.E. Octopath Traveler) and some are pretty small in scope (Jump Rope Challenge) but across both consoles lifespans, there are roughly ~80 Switch games and ~40 Wii U games that are 1st party (No ports, only remakes and/or high end remasters). Given that the Switch has been out for roughly 7.167 years, and the Wii U’s lifespan ran for roughly 4.25 years, that gives us an average of 11 Switch games per year vs. 9.5 Wii U games per year. So the Switch is already outpacing the Wii U on its own, across a pandemic no less.

Additionally, that’s only counting standalone releases. The Switch has had significantly better post-launch support for its games, while the Wii U had fairly little. The Wii U also had a much more uneven library; both have their stinkers, but the Wii U’s are much more notable. The Wii U library has more games smaller in scope as well.

Add in the multitude of remasters and ports (which do take time, they can’t be ignored), more 3rd party publishing deals, and the lengthening of game development time across the board, and it’s pretty clear that the Switch’s yearly output vastly outpaces the Wii U’s.

Sure thing! I can provide the Lists Wars(TM) and Charts.

For this list, I'm going to be counting retail titles published and funded by Nintendo. For example, games like Bayonetta 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 are counted as First Party titles, as they were funded by Nintendo and published by them everywhere. I'll be excluding titles Nintendo didn't fund and only published in certain regions. For example, Rayman Legends and Octopath Traveler are excluded. This is the same criteria used in Nintendo Life's article about this subject from 2020, and I believe it's fair. I am basing this data off the list of Nintendo Products from Wikipedia.

I'm going to be comparing the first 50 months of the Wii U and Switch. I think this is a fair comparison, 50 months captures almost the entirety of the Wii U's lifespan (November 2012-March 2017), only excluding 3 months in 2017 with no releases besides BOTW. Accordingly, we'll be judging the Switch's output from March 2017-to-May 2021. Obviously COVID's impact to Nintendo's lineup in 2020/2021 is part of this comparison. There's no way to slice a 50 month interval of the Switch's lifespan without including this timeframe unfortunately. I think with Nintendo heavily deprioritizing the Wii U in 2016, shifting internal games/development resources to the Switch and thus making 2016 a weaker year, evens out the impact. Regardless, crunching the numbers and doing a comparison of a 36 month interval to exclude COVID's impact (March 2017-March 2020) produces similar results, and I'd rather capture all of the Wii U's lifespan in this data.

I've categorized every game into 4 subcategories:
  • Major new games
  • Minor new games
  • Ports
  • Remakes
The difference between "Major new games" and "Minor new games" is fairly self explanatory. If a game was considered a major new release at the time, I listed it as such. Likewise for minor releases. This is subjective and I know there will be some disagreement. But I considered how the game was positioned and marketed at the time, the scope of the game, and how well Nintendo expected it to sell.

The line between Port and Remake is fuzzy at times. Essentially, if a game got a total graphical overhaul with new assets I counted it as a remake (e.g. Wind Waker HD, SMRPG HD, LA HD). If it game had the same assets as the original release, I counted it as a port (e.g. Bayonetta 1, Twilight Princess HD, MK8DX). I also recognize that remakes can be considered Major releases, for example Wind Waker HD and Link's Awakening HD were heavily marketed and tentpole releases of their respective years. I've included combined averages at the end as a result.

I hope you guys find these classifications generally agreeable.

Anyway, here are the results:
2012 Releases:
  • November:
    • New Super Mario Bros U - Major new game
    • Nintendo Land - Major new game
    • Sing Party - Minor new game
  • December: Nothing
2012 Totals:
-2 Major new games
-1 Minor new game

2013 Releases:
  • January: Nothing
  • February: Nothing
  • March:
    • Lego City Undercover - Major new game
    • Game & Wario - Minor new game
  • April: Nothing
  • May: Nothing
  • July:
    • Pikmin 3 - Major new game
    • New Super Luigi U - Minor new game
  • August: The Wonderful 101 - Major new game
  • September: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Remake
  • October: Wii Party U - Minor new game
  • November:
    • Wii Fit U - Minor new Game
    • Mario & Sonic 2014 - Minor new game
    • Super Mario 3D World - Major new game
2013 Totals:
-4 Major new games
-5 Minor new games
-1 Remake

2014 Releases:
  • February: DKC Tropical Freeze - Major new game
  • March: Nothing
  • May: Mario Kart 8 - Major new Game
  • June: Nothing
  • July: Wii Sports Club - Major new game
  • August: Nothing
  • September: Hyrule Warriors - Major new game
  • October:
    • Bayonetta 1 - Port
    • Bayonetta 2 - Major new Game
  • November: Super Smash Bros 4 - Major new game
  • December: Captain Toad Treasure Tracker - Minor new game
  • NES Remix Pack - Minor new game
2014 totals:
-6 Major new games
-2 Minor new games
-1 Port

2015 Releases:
  • February: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Minor new game
  • March: Mario Party 10 - Major new game
  • May: Splatoon - Major new game
  • June: Art Academy: Home Studio - Minor new game
  • July: Nothing
  • September: Super Mario Maker - Major new game
  • October:
    • Yoshi's Woolly World - Major new game
    • Fatal Frame: Maiden of the Black Water - Major new game
  • November:
    • Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival - Minor new game
    • Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash - Major new game
  • December:
    • Xenoblade Chronicles X - Major new game
    • Devil's Third - Minor new game
2015 Totals:
-7 major new games
-4 minor new games

2016 Releases:
  • March:
    • Twilight Princess HD - Port
    • Pokken Tournament - Major new game
  • April:
    • Star Fox Zero - Major new game
    • Star Fox Guard - Minor new game
  • June:
    • Tokyo Mirage Sessions#FE - Major new game
    • Mario & Sonic 2016 - Minor new game
  • September: Paper Mario Color Splash - Major new game
  • October: Nothing
  • November: Nothing
2016 Totals:
-4 Major new games
-2 Minor new games
-1 Port

2017 Releases:
  • March:
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Major new game
    • 1-2-Switch Minor new game
  • April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Port
  • June: Arms - Major new game
  • July: Splatoon 2 - Major new Game
  • August: Mario + Rabbids - Major new game
  • September: Pokken Tournament DX - Port
  • October: Fire Emblem Warriors - Major new game
  • November: Super Mario Odyssey - Major new game
  • December: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Major new game
2017 Totals:
-7 Major new games
-2 Minor new game
-2 Ports

2018 Releases:
  • February: Bayonetta 1/2 - Port
  • March:
    • Kirby Star Allies - Major new game.
    • Hyrule Warriors DE - Port.
  • April: Labo Kits 1/2 - Minor new games
  • May: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - Port
  • June:
    • Sushi Striker - Minor new game.
    • Mario Tennis Aces - Major new game
  • July: Captain Toad - Port
  • September: Labo Kit 3 - Minor new game.
  • October: Super Mario Party - Major new game
  • November: Pokemon Let's Go - Remake
  • December: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Major new game
2018 Totals:
-4 Major new games
-2-4 Minor new games (depending on how you count Labo kits)
-4 Ports
-1 Remake

2019 Releases:
  • January: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - Port
  • March: Yoshi's Crafted World - Major new game
  • April: Labo Kit 4 - Minor new game
  • June: Super Mario Maker 2 - Major new game
  • July:
    • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - Minor new game
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Major new game
  • August: Astral Chain - Major new game
  • September: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Remake
  • October:
    • Ring Fit Adventure - Minor new game
    • Luigi's Mansion 3 - Major new game
  • November: Pokemon Sword/Sword - Major new game
2019 Totals:
-6 Major new games
-3 Minor new games
-1 Port
-1 Remake

2020 Releases:
  • January: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore - Port
  • March: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - Remake.
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons - Major new game.
  • May: Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - Remake
  • June: Clubhouse Games - 51 Worldwide Classics - Minor new game
  • July: Paper Mario: The Origami King - Major new game
  • September: Super Mario 3D All-Stars - Port
  • October: Pikmin 3 Deluxe - Port
  • November: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - Major new game
2020 Totals:
-3 Major new games
-1 Minor new game
-3 Ports
-2 Remakes

2021 Releases:
  • February: Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - Port + Half a major new game
  • April: New Pokemon Snap - Major new game
  • May: Miitopia - Port
  • June:
    • Game Builder Garage - Minor new game.
    • Mario Golf Super Rush - Major new game
  • July: Skyward Sword HD - Port
  • September: WarioWare: Get it Together - Minor new game
  • October: Metroid Dread - Major new game.
  • Mario Party Superstars - Major new game
  • November: Pokemon BDSP - Remake
  • December: Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain - Minor new game
2021 Totals:
-4.5 Major new games
-3 Minor new games
-3 Ports
-1 Remake

firefox-jt-X8-Ow-I4-WN.png

firefox-mp89e-DUOyb.png
firefox-ocsn-HHm-AYa.png

firefox-E6-ZDz-Aw-R9a.png

Data:
[Wii U - First 50 months]Major new gamesMinor new gamesPortsRemakes
Nov-Dec 20122100
Average (# of games every 10 months): 4.8 2.80.40.2
Combined Averages:Major games + Remakes:
Major + Minor games:
Major + Minor + Remakes:
Major/Minor/Remakes/Ports:

[Switch - First 50 months]Major new gamesMinor new gamesPortsRemakes
Jan-May 20211.5020
Average (# of games every 10 months): 4.322.40.8
Major + Minor games:
Major + Minor + Remakes:

In conclusion:
  • Switch's output of 'Major Games' Is slightly less than the Wii U's
  • Major games + Remakes is nearly equal between the Switch and Wii U.
  • Major games + Minor games + Remakes is nearly equal between the Switch and Wii U.
  • Including ports, the total average favors the Switch over the Wii U.
  • Excluding ports, the Switch's output of 1st Party Games is roughly on par with the Wii U's.
If you guys notice any errors with this data please let me know.

Sure thing! I can provide the Lists Wars(TM) and Charts.

For this list, I'm going to be counting retail titles published and funded by Nintendo. For example, games like Bayonetta 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 are counted as First Party titles, as they were funded by Nintendo and published by them everywhere. I'll be excluding titles Nintendo didn't fund and only published in certain regions. For example, Rayman Legends and Octopath Traveler are excluded. This is the same criteria used in Nintendo Life's article about this subject from 2020, and I believe it's fair. I am basing this data off the list of Nintendo Products from Wikipedia.

I'm going to be comparing the first 50 months of the Wii U and Switch. I think this is a fair comparison, 50 months captures almost the entirety of the Wii U's lifespan (November 2012-March 2017), only excluding 3 months in 2017 with no releases besides BOTW. Accordingly, we'll be judging the Switch's output from March 2017-to-May 2021. Obviously COVID's impact to Nintendo's lineup in 2020/2021 is part of this comparison. There's no way to slice a 50 month interval of the Switch's lifespan without including this timeframe unfortunately. I think with Nintendo heavily deprioritizing the Wii U in 2016, shifting internal games/development resources to the Switch and thus making 2016 a weaker year, evens out the impact. Regardless, crunching the numbers and doing a comparison of a 36 month interval to exclude COVID's impact (March 2017-March 2020) produces similar results, and I'd rather capture all of the Wii U's lifespan in this data.

I've categorized every game into 4 subcategories:
  • Major new games
  • Minor new games
  • Ports
  • Remakes
The difference between "Major new games" and "Minor new games" is fairly self explanatory. If a game was considered a major new release at the time, I listed it as such. Likewise for minor releases. This is subjective and I know there will be some disagreement. But I considered how the game was positioned and marketed at the time, the scope of the game, and how well Nintendo expected it to sell.

The line between Port and Remake is fuzzy at times. Essentially, if a game got a total graphical overhaul with new assets I counted it as a remake (e.g. Wind Waker HD, SMRPG HD, LA HD). If it game had the same assets as the original release, I counted it as a port (e.g. Bayonetta 1, Twilight Princess HD, MK8DX). I also recognize that remakes can be considered Major releases, for example Wind Waker HD and Link's Awakening HD were heavily marketed and tentpole releases of their respective years. I've included combined averages at the end as a result.

I hope you guys find these classifications generally agreeable.

Anyway, here are the results:
2012 Releases:
  • November:
    • New Super Mario Bros U - Major new game
    • Nintendo Land - Major new game
    • Sing Party - Minor new game
2012 Totals:
-2 Major new games
-1 Minor new game

2013 Releases:
  • March:
    • Lego City Undercover - Major new game
    • Game & Wario - Minor new game
  • July:
    • Pikmin 3 - Major new game
    • New Super Luigi U - Minor new game
  • August: The Wonderful 101 - Major new game
  • September: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Remake
  • October: Wii Party U - Minor new game
  • November:
    • Wii Fit U - Minor new Game
    • Mario & Sonic 2014 - Minor new game
    • Super Mario 3D World - Major new game
2013 Totals:
-4 Major new games
-5 Minor new games
-1 Remake

2014 Releases:
  • February: DKC Tropical Freeze - Major new game
  • May: Mario Kart 8 - Major new Game
  • June: Nothing
  • July: Wii Sports Club - Major new game
  • September: Hyrule Warriors - Major new game
  • October:
    • Bayonetta 1 - Port
    • Bayonetta 2 - Major new Game
  • November: Super Smash Bros 4 - Major new game
  • December: Captain Toad Treasure Tracker - Minor new game
  • NES Remix Pack - Minor new game
2014 totals:
-6 Major new games
-2 Minor new games
-1 Port

2015 Releases:
  • February: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Minor new game
  • March: Mario Party 10 - Major new game
  • May: Splatoon - Major new game
  • June: Art Academy: Home Studio - Minor new game
  • September: Super Mario Maker - Major new game
  • October:
    • Yoshi's Woolly World - Major new game
    • Fatal Frame: Maiden of the Black Water - Major new game
  • November:
    • Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival - Minor new game
    • Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash - Major new game
  • December:
    • Xenoblade Chronicles X - Major new game
    • Devil's Third - Minor new game
2015 Totals:
-7 major new games
-4 minor new games

2016 Releases:
  • March:
    • Twilight Princess HD - Port
    • Pokken Tournament - Major new game
  • April:
    • Star Fox Zero - Major new game
    • Star Fox Guard - Minor new game
  • June:
    • Tokyo Mirage Sessions#FE - Major new game
    • Mario & Sonic 2016 - Minor new game
  • September: Paper Mario Color Splash - Major new game
  • October: Nothing
  • November: Nothing
2016 Totals:
-4 Major new games
-2 Minor new games
-1 Port

2017 Releases:
  • March:
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Major new game
    • 1-2-Switch Minor new game
  • April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Port
  • June: Arms - Major new game
  • July: Splatoon 2 - Major new Game
  • August: Mario + Rabbids - Major new game
  • September: Pokken Tournament DX - Port
  • October: Fire Emblem Warriors - Major new game
  • November: Super Mario Odyssey - Major new game
  • December: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Major new game
2017 Totals:
-7 Major new games
-2 Minor new game
-2 Ports

2018 Releases:
  • February: Bayonetta 1/2 - Port
  • March:
    • Kirby Star Allies - Major new game.
    • Hyrule Warriors DE - Port.
  • April: Labo Kits 1/2 - Minor new games
  • May: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - Port
  • June:
    • Sushi Striker - Minor new game.
    • Mario Tennis Aces - Major new game
  • July: Captain Toad - Port
  • September: Labo Kit 3 - Minor new game.
  • October: Super Mario Party - Major new game
  • November: Pokemon Let's Go - Remake
  • December: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Major new game
2018 Totals:
-4 Major new games
-2-4 Minor new games (depending on how you count Labo kits)
-4 Ports
-1 Remake

2019 Releases:
  • January: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - Port
  • March: Yoshi's Crafted World - Major new game
  • April: Labo Kit 4 - Minor new game
  • June: Super Mario Maker 2 - Major new game
  • July:
    • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - Minor new game
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Major new game
  • August: Astral Chain - Major new game
  • September: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Remake
  • October:
    • Ring Fit Adventure - Minor new game
    • Luigi's Mansion 3 - Major new game
  • November: Pokemon Sword/Sword - Major new game
2019 Totals:
-6 Major new games
-3 Minor new games
-1 Port
-1 Remake

2020 Releases:
  • January: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore - Port
  • March: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - Remake.
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons - Major new game.
  • May: Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - Remake
  • June: Clubhouse Games - 51 Worldwide Classics - Minor new game
  • July: Paper Mario: The Origami King - Major new game
  • September: Super Mario 3D All-Stars - Port
  • October: Pikmin 3 Deluxe - Port
  • November: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - Major new game
2020 Totals:
-3 Major new games
-1 Minor new game
-3 Ports
-2 Remakes

2021 Releases:
  • February: Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - Port + Half a major new game
  • April: New Pokemon Snap - Major new game
  • May: Miitopia - Port
  • June:
    • Game Builder Garage - Minor new game.
    • Mario Golf Super Rush - Major new game
  • July: Skyward Sword HD - Port
  • September: WarioWare: Get it Together - Minor new game
  • October: Metroid Dread - Major new game.
  • Mario Party Superstars - Major new game
  • November: Pokemon BDSP - Remake
  • December: Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain - Minor new game
2021 Totals:
-4.5 Major new games
-3 Minor new games
-3 Ports
-1 Remake

firefox-jt-X8-Ow-I4-WN.png

firefox-mp89e-DUOyb.png
firefox-ocsn-HHm-AYa.png

firefox-E6-ZDz-Aw-R9a.png

Data:
[Wii U - First 50 months]Major new gamesMinor new gamesPortsRemakes
Nov-Dec 20122100
Average (# of games every 10 months): 4.8 2.80.40.2
Major + Minor games:
Major + Minor + Remakes:

[Switch - First 50 months]Major new gamesMinor new gamesPortsRemakes
Jan-May 20211.5020
Average (# of games every 10 months): 4.322.40.8
Major + Minor games:
Major + Minor + Remakes:

In conclusion:
  • Switch's output of 'Major Games' Is slightly less than the Wii U's
  • Major games + Remakes is nearly equal between the Switch and Wii U.
  • Major games + Minor games + Remakes is nearly equal between the Switch and Wii U.
  • Including ports, the total average favors the Switch over the Wii U.
  • Excluding ports, the Switch's output of 1st Party Games is roughly on par with the Wii U's.
If you guys notice any errors with this data please let me know.
You're making the same mistake as FiniteInfinites.

You're making the same mistake as FiniteInfinites.
Okay. He crunched the numbers for the average across the Switch's entire lifespan:
Fair enough, I only formatted it that way because that's what the above people were comparing and asking for (or at least that's how I read it).

48 Wii U exclusives over 51 months (11.3 per year) vs 81 Switch exclusives over 86 months (11.3 per year)
First party only: 35 Wii U first-party exclusives over 51 months (8.2 per year) vs 53 Switch first-party exclusives over 86 months (7.3 per year)

Not including ports/remasters/remakes because this was originally about "new first-party games". And to be clear, I've been very happy with Nintendo's output this generation. I certainly don't think they've mismanaged anything. Just trying to provide some numbers.
It still shows the Wii U and Switch have roughly equal first party outputs. This just vindicates my original point further, that the Switch has the output of a solo Nintendo system when it's the successor to 2.

Fatal Frame at major but WarioWare, Marvel Ultimate Alliance Ring Fit at minor... mkay
WarioWare is positioned as a $50 retail game, I consider that a minor release. Game & Wario and WW Get it Together have the same classification. Ring Fit I consider on-par with Wii Fit U. Neither were positioned as major titles when they came out. Ring Fit just sold way better since it was on successful hardware, it was a sleeper hit.

You're right that Ultimate Alliance 3 and Fatal Frame should probably have the same classification. I'll go edit it later and rerun the numbers. It's still not going to change the averages.

WarioWare is positioned as a $50 retail game, I consider that a minor release. Game & Wario and WW Get it Together have the same classification. Ring Fit I consider on-par with Wii Fit U. Neither were positioned as major titles when they came out. Ring Fit just sold way better since it was on successful hardware, it was a sleeper hit.

You're right that Ultimate Alliance 3 and Fatal Frame should probably have the same classification. I'll go edit it later and rerun the numbers. It's still not going to change the averages.
You're using selective data to come to the conclusion you want.

You're using selective data to come to the conclusion you want.
What data is selective? Feel free to point it out specifically. I agree that Fatal Frame and Ultimate Alliance 3 should have the same classification in hindsight here. Putting both as minor games is -1 major release on the Wii U side for 2015. 1 game doesn't change the averages significantly.

I tried to be neutral with the game classifications. I also included combined averages that combine all the major/minor/remake categories entirely, essentially ignoring all my subjective classifications and just looking at the totals. For those averages, it still shows the same result: The Switch has a roughly equal 1st party output to that of the Wii U. FiniteInfinites came to the same conclusion when looking at the data. The only combined average that favors the Switch heavily is the one including ports.

What data is selective? Feel free to point it out specifically. I agree that Fatal Frame and Ultimate Alliance 3 should have the same classification in hindsight here. Putting both as minor games is -1 major release on the Wii U side for 2015. 1 game doesn't change the averages significantly.

I tried to be neutral with the game classifications. I also included combined averages that combine all the major/minor/remake categories entirely, essentially ignoring all my subjective classifications and just looking at the totals. For those averages, it still shows the same result: The Switch has a roughly equal 1st party output to that of the Wii U. FiniteInfinites came to the same conclusion when looking at the data. The only combined average that favors the Switch heavily is the one including ports.
The first fifty months of the Switch's lifespan includes the pandemic year of 2020 and the fallout year of 2021.

Anyone who owned a Wii U would know that the pacing of software releases was not the same at all. 2014, maybe 2013 were the only good years supported, and that's a big maybe. Meanwhile Switch has 2023, 2022, and 2019, and 2017 if you want to include a year with slightly slower third party support. I bought that thing in 2014 and it was collecting dust by the next year. I'm as critical as anyone but cmon.

Okay. He crunched the numbers for the average across the Switch's entire lifespan:

It still shows the Wii U and Switch have roughly equal first party outputs. This just vindicates my original point further, that the Switch has the output of a solo Nintendo system when it's the successor to 2.
Putting aside even the subjective features of the breakdown and how you want to handwave away the impact of the pandemic year (which you shouldn’t!), this release calendar breakdown only serves to highlight the original issue here that Wii U had many big gaps between software while Switch has not outside of one time in the pandemic year, December 2020 and January 2021, which is the only time we went two back to back months skipping software. By comparison, it happens seven(!) times on Wii U including three months off after launch and five months off between Paper Mario and Zelda! This is the only reason we are having this two day conversation to begin with! By your own charts and what counts, we can safely say the first six months of 2024 absolutely is not a drought!

For the record though, I’m guessing you are including Luigi U since it got a physical release, if so Torna needs to be on the Switch calendar. Excluding major expansions still like Octo Expansion and Animal Crossing Happy Home would miss the point I feel, but whatever.

Did you even read my post? I wrote a whole paragraph addressing this...

If you acknowledge there is a rock wall that you can't drive through, and you proceed to crash into it anyway, how fast you were going before you hit the rock wall doesn't matter. It's impossible to compare the Switch to any other Nintendo consoles because of how reality warping Covid was on everything. Your heart and argument is in the right place Ricimer, but you should have made your sample size smaller to not include the Covid period, in this case less is actually more.

That said I think any argument that tries to approximate what is a major or minor release is always going to be subjective. Is a game major based upon its retail price? Its production budget? How many copies it sold? It's net income based upon total sales less cost to make/market? How many copies Nintendo projected it to sell vs how much it did? You can make a solid argument for any of those metrics and get a very different lists for what is considered "major".

Edit: Also total games is also a flawed metric as games take longer to make every generation.

WarioWare is positioned as a $50 retail game, I consider that a minor release. Game & Wario and WW Get it Together have the same classification.
Ok, I'll admit that's fair

NSLU, but no Torna
Wii Sports Club as major new game instead of remake

Leaving that aside, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and Mario Tennis Aces both adding a "point" when the difference in content and quality between both is immense highlights one of the major problems with your methodology.

You can't just look at all these games as numbers while stripping away all the context.

Putting aside even the subjective features of the breakdown and how you want to handwave away the impact of the pandemic year (which you shouldn’t!), this release calendar breakdown only serves to highlight the original issue here that Wii U had many big gaps between software while Switch has not outside of one time in the pandemic year, December 2020 and January 2021, which is the only time we went two back to back months skipping software. By comparison, it happens seven(!) times on Wii U including three months off after launch and five months off between Paper Mario and Zelda! This is the only reason we are having this two day conversation to begin with! By your own charts and what counts, we can safely say the first six months of 2024 absolutely is not a drought!

For the record though, I’m guessing you are including Luigi U since it got a physical release, if so Torna needs to be on the Switch calendar. Excluding major expansions still like Octo Expansion and Animal Crossing Happy Home would miss the point I feel, but whatever.
I wrote about why I included the COVID year, I'm not handwaving it it's explicitly accounted for. I crunched the numbers for a 36 month interval that excludes any possible COVID impact and it's largely the same. I felt including the full 50 month Wii U lifespan was more important. That's also ignoring the fact Nintendo started to abandon the Wii U ship in 2016 resulting in a similarly negative year.

I can redo the comparison for the first 36 months of the Wii U vs. Switch if you want. It's going to look similar to the numbers FiniteInfinites did for the entire lifespans thus far.

The Switch has less gaps because it has far more ports, mainly Wii U ports. Again, my original point was the fact that the Switch has a similar output to that of a solo Nintendo system, like the Wii U. The data here indisputably proves this. The only metric where the Switch outdoes the Wii U significantly is... including ports.

You're right about Torna, I forgot that got a physical release! I'll add that as a minor title for 2018 when I edit the post.

Ok, I'll admit that's fair

NSLU, but no Torna
Wii Sports Club as major new game instead of remake

Leaving that aside, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and Mario Tennis Aces both adding a "point" when the difference in content and quality between both is immense highlights one of the major problems with your methodology.

You can't just look at all these games as numbers while stripping away all the context.
I listed all the Mario Sports/Party spinoffs as major titles, I thought that was universally fair. I know Mario Golf Super Rush had similar complaints levied against like Ultra Tennis (lack of content, etc) and I still listed that as a major title. I haven't played any of them honestly so I don't have first hand experience.

Is Wii Sports Club a remake? I know it has all the same games but it seemed like a spiritual successor with new features/online focus when I saw it.

Either way you can look at the averages which combine major + minor titles, which ignores any of my subjective classifications. The result still support my point that the Switch has the output of a solo Nintendo system, like the Wii U.

Either way you can look at the averages which combine major + minor titles, which ignores any of my subjective classifications. The result still support my point that the Switch has the output of a solo Nintendo system, like the Wii U.
Your major/minor classification is entirely subjective.

I wonder why the Wii U didn’t have as many ports…
I also wonder why Nintendo didn't train their/prepare employees with HD development... God, the Wii U really was a string incompetence, bad management, people whose job was to market the damn thing failed miserably to so. Also the lack of third party support, those really were the dark ages weren't they.

It's a miracle that after the Wii U Nintendo has made the third best selling system, with good output, fantastic looking games and better management, despite Covid happening.

Your major/minor classification is entirely subjective.
Yes, I said it was ultimately subjective at the very start. That's why I included combined averages that lump anything listed as major/minor together. I did major + remakes, major + minor, and major+minor+remakes.

All that data, whih ignores the subjective labels, still points to the fact that the Switch has an output on par with the Wii U. The only average that favored the Switch's output was the one which included ports. And I don't think I made any controversial choices with what I labeled as a port.

That's because the Switch is a solo Nintendo system; just because it's the successor to both the home and handheld consoles doesn't mean it'll get the combined total output that would come to both. You seem to be blatantly ignoring the various reasons many of us are giving you as to why in favor of trying to push this narrative of yours.

The truth of the matter is that the further advanced Nintendos systems became the more time-extensive game development became. There's a reason droughts were cyclical back in the day; supporting the handheld would mean taking personnel off their home console titles and vice-versa. Once Nintendo reached HD development it was obvious they wouldn't be able to support a two-platform ecosystem so they consolidated their development teams in order to support one system.

I wrote about why I included the COVID year, I'm not handwaving it it's explicitly accounted for. I crunched the numbers for a 36 month interval that excludes any possible COVID impact and it's largely the same. I felt including the full 50 month Wii U lifespan was more important. That's also ignoring the fact Nintendo started to abandon the Wii U ship in 2016 resulting in a similarly negative year.

I can redo the comparison for the first 36 months of the Wii U vs. Switch if you want. It's going to look similar to the numbers FiniteInfinites did for the entire lifespans thus far.

The Switch has less gaps because it has far more ports, mainly Wii U ports. Again, my original point was the fact that the Switch has a similar output to that of a solo Nintendo system, like the Wii U. The data here indisputably proves this. The only metric where the Switch outdoes the Wii U significantly is... including ports.

You're right about Torna, I forgot that got a physical release! I'll add that as a minor title for 2018 when I edit the post.
You keep trying to drag people into other conversations you want to have, but the reason you started arguing about this and all of the other elements you have dragged into this two days ago in the Direct Speculation thread was all to support your claim that the first six months of 2024 had games that didn’t count and that we were in a drought from a lack of releases. Your own breakdown of what counts and what doesn’t disproves this.

You just have to divorce these separate conversations you want to have from the drought conversation and people will be right there with you. I’m sure you’d have a ton of people, myself included, who would love to talk with you about the lack of a 2D Zelda game, how Nintendo should make games similar to older classics, how maybe Nintendo should try to aim for more experimental smaller scope games etc., but we are going in circles given these conversation aren’t related. It’s ok to just say you aren’t happy with the games coming out right now. It doesn’t need to be dressed up further than that.

Yes, I said it was ultimately subjective at the very start. That's why I included combined averages that lump anything listed as major/minor together. I did major + remakes, major + minor, and major+minor+remakes.

All that data, whih ignores the subjective labels, still points to the fact that the Switch has an output on par with the Wii U. The only average that favored the Switch's output was the one which included ports. And I don't think I made any controversial choices with what I labeled as a port.
Ports are still releases, and they do require dev effort and time.

That's because the Switch is a solo Nintendo system; just because it's the successor to both the home and handheld consoles doesn't mean it'll get the combined total output that would come to both. You seem to be blatantly ignoring the various reasons many of us are giving you as to why in favor of trying to push this narrative of yours.

The truth of the matter is that the further advanced Nintendos systems became the more time-extensive game development became. There's a reason droughts were cyclical back in the day; supporting the handheld would mean taking personnel off their home console titles and vice-versa. Once Nintendo reached HD development it was obvious they wouldn't be able to support a two-platform ecosystem so they consolidated their development teams in order to support one system.
The Switch is a solo Nintendo system that absorbed the development manpower which drove 2. Like I said before, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a pure doubling for the reasons you listed. But I expected more than the output that's literally on par with the Wii U. Like I expected a 1.3x or a 1.5x increase in games since the Switch absorbed the handheld line, instead we got a 1.0.

I listed all the Mario Sports/Party spinoffs as major titles, I thought that was universally fair. I know Mario Golf Super Rush had similar complaints levied against like Ultra Tennis (lack of content, etc) and I still listed that as a major title. I haven't played any of them honestly so I don't have first hand experience.

Is Wii Sports Club a remake? I know it has all the same games but it seemed like a spiritual successor with new features/online focus when I saw it.

Ultimately I think this pursuit is flawed and not really worth pursuing. I appreciate your determination to apply math to your theory to prove it true but as many of the responses indicate it is far too subjective and/or complicated for the kind quantitative analysis one might perform on a message board.

I think you should just accept that this is an unpopular opinion you have that isn’t necessarily true for everyone. There’s no need to apply hard sciences to a gut feeling you have when that gut feeling is not inherently scientific. And that’s fine! We don‘t always need to prove that our feelings are objective fact.

The Switch is a solo Nintendo system that absorbed the development manpower which drove 2. Like I said before, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a pure doubling for the reasons you listed. But I expected more than the output that's literally on par with the Wii U. Like I expected a 1.3x or a 1.5x increase in games since the Switch absorbed the handheld line, instead we got a 1.0.
Your math was never realistic or reasonable to begin with. You keep making the same flawed arguments over and over and over again, at the same time acknowledging 2020 without actually taking it into account.

Your math was never realistic or reasonable to begin with. You keep making the same flawed arguments over and over and over again, at the same time acknowledging 2020 without actually taking it into account.
And you keep making totally vague counterarguments that completely ignore the conversation and don't actually address any points I've made in response to you. It's not worth engaging in this conversation with you any longer.
You keep trying to drag people into other conversations you want to have, but the reason you started arguing about this and all of the other elements you have dragged into this two days ago in the Direct Speculation thread was all to support your claim that the first six months of 2024 had games that didn’t count and that we were in a drought from a lack of releases. Your own breakdown of what counts and what doesn’t disproves this.

You just have to divorce these separate conversations you want to have from the drought conversation and people will be right there with you. I’m sure you’d have a ton of people, myself included, who would love to talk with you about the lack of a 2D Zelda game, how Nintendo should make games similar to older classics, how maybe Nintendo should try to aim for more experimental smaller scope games etc., but we are going in circles given these conversation aren’t related. It’s ok to just say you aren’t happy with the games coming out right now. It doesn’t need to be dressed up further than that.
The discussion here is largely separate from discussion in the Speculation thread from two days ago. I'm specifically arguing the point that the Switch's output wasn't beefed up by absorbing the handheld line, and it has an output on par with the Wii U. The list was a direct respone to everyone doubting that point. I'm not dragging anyone into having any conversation, I'm just defending my points.

Like ngpdrew said above I realize this is an unpopular opinion and that I'm getting dogpiled here. I think my points and the data speaks for itself and ultimately vindicate my point. Ignoring all the arguments about labels, nobody has been able to provide an actual counterargumens to the raw major/minor/remake numbers between the Wii U and Switch I listed, and the numbers InfiniteFinites listed. I think that speaks volumes. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Yet you're glossing over the fact that it got progressively more difficult for Nintendo to support two systems simultaneously, hence the frequent droughts the Wii U and 3DS would experience. Your expectations have no basis in reality outside of the simplistic logic of 1+1=2. You are not taking any of the reasons we are providing into consideration outside of whatever you can twist to try to fit your narrative.

And you keep making totally vague counterarguments that completely ignore the conversation and don't actually address any points I've made in response to you. It's not worth engaging in this conversation with you any longer.
Vague counterarguments to arguments that are neither focused, well-reasoned, or demonstrate proper statistical analysis. Multiple people have brought these issues with your arguments up to you and you keep ignoring them.

Vague counterarguments to arguments that are neither focused, well-reasoned, or demonstrate proper statistical analysis. Multiple people have brought these issues with your arguments up to you and you keep ignoring them.
You nor anbody else nobody has provided any actual counterarguments to the label-agonsitic "major games + minor games + remakes" average between the Wii U and Switch I listed, or the numbers InfiniteFinites listed. It's all been semantic debates about the labels and categories, despite those specific averages being explicitly included to avoid any arguments about the categories. You're explicitly avoiding specifics and are just making general jabs. That speaks volumes.

Last post in this thread, I'll leave at that. As famous Mathematician and poet Scott Steiner once said, the numbers don't lie.

I also wonder why Nintendo didn't train their/prepare employees with HD development
HD development doesn't requiere a fundamentally different skillset from SD development. Higher fidelity assets just take longer to make.

I think people just kinda forget that in 2010 and beyond, there was a period of time where Nintendo was making games for four systems: DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii U. This caused insane late-system droughts for the DS and Wii, a lackluster first year for 3DS, and a miserable Wii U launch period when all hands were on deck to pull the 3DS out of the ditch. Droughts were everywhere and even the 3DS started to noticeably slow down after 2015.

The Switch has never seen any drought in comparison. Even in slower periods like 2020 (because of the pandemic) and 2018, stuff was still coming out no problem. And even now in this presumably quieter year, we have software releasing at a steady pace.

I'm going to be comparing the first 50 months of the Wii U and Switch. I think this is a fair comparison
No, it isn't. You can't just cut out half of the Switch's lifespan for an arbitrary reason when the discussion centers around the consoles as a whole. Especially when the justification for including COVID is due to the Wii U being a complete and utter flop and Nintendo cutting development early. One of those was in Nintendo's control, the other was not.

Setting aside the subjectivity of what constitutes a major vs. minor release, this doesn't really prove anything regardless. xghost already pointed out the multi-month gaps within the Wii U's library that simply have not been present under the Switch. And, as mentioned by other users, the quality of games needs to factor in as well; doesn't matter how many games you got if you're releasing junk. The barometers here are entirely arbitrary, I will admit, but let's divide each set of games into "70 or under" and "80 or over" using Meta scores, with the former being "bad", the latter being "great", and everything in-between being "good". Again, I know that's arbitrary (as are review scores in general), so feel free to retrofit the terminology or scores as you see fit, as I don't think it would ultimately change my point. I'm also going to discount Bayonetta 1 on both sides, given that it has always been multiplatform and can't be classified as 1st party like Bayonetta 2 theoretically can. Adding in Torna too, given that Luigi U is here.

• 12/39 Wii U games scored out as "bad" games:
    • Sing Party - 60
    • Game & Wario - 61
    • Wii Party U - 65
    • Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games - 55
    • Wii Sports Club - 68
    • Mario Party 10 - 66
    • Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - 67
    • Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival - 46
    • Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash - 58
    • Devil's Third - 43
    • Star Fox Zero - 69
    • Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games - 65
  • 4/47 Switch games scored out as "bad" games:
    • 1-2-Switch - 58
    • Nintendo Labo: Toycon 02 Robot Kit - 68
    • Nintendo Labo: Toycon 03 Vehicle Kit - 69
    • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - 69
The differenc here should be fairly apparent. Especially when the average "bad" Wii U game was worse than every single Switch game besides 1-2-Switch released in the timespan you set. Not to mention that half of the "bad" Switch games are Labo kits.
  • 16/39 Wii U games scored out as "great":
    • New Super Mario Bros. U - 84
    • LEGO City Undercover - 80
    • Pikmin 3 - 87
    • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 90
    • Super Mario 3D World - 93
    • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 83
    • Mario Kart 8 - 88
    • Bayonetta 2 - 91
    • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 92
    • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 81
    • Splatoon - 81
    • Art Academy: Home Studio - 82
    • Super Mario Maker - 88
    • Xenoblade Chronicles X - 84
    • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - 86
    • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - 80
  • 28/47 Switch games scored out as "great"
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 97
    • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 92
    • Splatoon 2 - 83
    • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - 85
    • Super Mario Odyssey - 97
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 83
    • Bayonetta 2 - 92
    • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 86
    • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 82
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 ~ Torna, the Golden Country: 80
    • Pokemon: Let's Go! - 80/79 (adding it in since its on the border, and the Open score is an 81)
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 93
    • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 80
    • Super Mario Maker 2 - 88
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 89
    • Astral Chain - 87
    • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - 87
    • Ring Fit Adventure - 83
    • Luigi's Mansion 3 - 86
    • Pokemon Sword & Shield - 80
    • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore - 81
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 90
    • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - 89
    • Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 82
    • Paper Mario: The Origami King - 80
    • Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 82
    • Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 85
    • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 89
Once again, immediate disparity. Even if you wanna take out all of the ports and remakes, you get 16 games compared to the Wii U's 14. So you can strip away everything else, and the Switch was still putting out more substantial games than the Wii U was. And then you add the ports, remakes, and DLC on top of that, and then add in the following three years of support, and the Wii U gets blown out of the water entirely.

The timing also plays a factor. Generally, the opinion I've seen online is that the support for the Wii U was excellent from the middle of 2013 through the end of 2014. The data here backs that up: only three "bad" games and 8 "great" games released in that timeframe. Conversely, from 2015 to the end of the Wii U's life, across 18 different games, 7 were "bad" and only 6 were "great", one of which was a port. The quality drop is noticeable here too: the "great" games, on average, scored nearly 5 full points lower after 2014 than during the heyday of mid 2013 through 2014.

And, just for references, here's the 71-79 games:
  • 11/39 Wii U games scored out as "good"
    • Nintendo Land - 77
    • New Super Luigi U - 77
    • The Wonderful 101 - 78
    • Wii Fit U - 72
    • Hyrule Warriors - 76
    • NES Remix Pack - ~72 (no exact score, averaged the two)
    • Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - 73
    • Yoshi's Woolly World - 78
    • Pokken Tournament - 76
    • Star Fox Guard - 74
    • Paper Mario: Color Splash - 76
  • 15/47 Switch games scored out as "good:
    • ARMS - 77
    • Pokken Tournament DX - 79
    • Fire Emblem Warriors - 74
    • Kirby Star Allies - 73
    • Nintendo Labo: Toycon 01 Variety Kit - 77
    • Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition - 78
    • Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - 76
    • Mario Tennis Aces - 75
    • Super Mario Party - 76
    • Yoshi's Crafted World - 79
    • Nintendo Labo: Toycon 04 VR Kit - 71
    • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order - 73
    • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - 78
    • New Pokemon Snap - 79
    • Miitopia - 71
The averages for both of these datasets is ~75, so the Switch averaging slightly higher (75.3 vs. 75.7). Switch also has 5 games on the border of the cutoffs (71 or 79) while the Wii U has none, so if anything the current cutoffs are favoring the Wii U library slightly.

When people say the Wii U had a drought, it isn't strictly due to the quantity of games, which was already low. Roughly a third of the library you presented as data reviewed poorly at best and terribly at worst. That's a factor that has to be accounted for, especially when the Switch has a significantly lower proportion of those games. Even if the total quantity of new content you presented is similar (which itself is a disservice, given the dev time needed for ports, remasters, DLC, etc.), the difference in quality, along with the concentration of quality, can't be ignored.

You say we should've gotten a more robust lineup with portable/console development merging. I'd argue we did: dev time dedicated to ports filled out the release schedule, and software quality generally improved over the previous generation, with significantly fewer games deemed bad by consumers.

This was your own fault. They moved to a single platform because there was no feasible way they could support 2 with software and there would be no feasible way third parties would provide enough software to make 2 platforms successful going forward. Assuming that you would get significantly improved single system output ignores the realities of game development. Each generation the average amount of time it takes to make a game increases. Even smaller games take longer to make because expectations for software are higher. It isn't just about the scope of the game. A similarly content complete game now will take longer to make than during the gamecube era as you have way more assets, model complexity and general complexity to deal with.

Cutting Nintendo's software support off to while the WiiU was alive to make your comparison is pointless. Nintendo planned and scoped all their software for the Switch knowing that they would need to support it longer than the WiiU. And then we had a pandemic that set back release dates across the whole industry. This hasn't been an easy generation for developers.

And then you ignore that this generation has seen Nintendo games get notable DLC to make better use of assets, experience and extend the life of games. The games are on average longer than previous generations too. On the WiiU we got just Xenoblade X. On Switch we got Xenoblade 2, Torna The Golden Country, Xenoblade 1 Definitive Edition (which had future connected), Xenoblade 3 and Future Redeemed. The Golden Country and Future Redeemed are both long enough to be standalone games (and Torna got a stand alone release). Splatoon 2 got a sizeable expansion. Mario + Rabbids got a sizeable expansion. Why are games like Snipperclips, Cadence of Hyrule or Boxboy+Boygirl missing?

I generally don't like list wars but the Switch's output obviously trumps the WiiU. It's been longer and more consistent and naturally in this era where games take longer to make, big DLCs are used as plugs for smaller games.

Also we aren't seriously looking at bullshit like Ultra Smash, Amiibo Festival and Devil's Third and leaning on that as proof of WiiU output against Switch are we?

Last edited:
The funny thing is that "output" would actually be the last thing that determines whether or not a 2D Zelda got made. It's which team WANTS to do it. Putting aside we DID get two 2D Zelda games (no matter how badly some want to pretend otherwise), what determines a 2D Zelda getting made is if a team wants to do it and usually it's a third party team at that.

Ruling out Cadence of Hyrule when talking about 2D Zelda is silly. You might as well rule out Minish Cap and the Oracles when discussing 2D Zelda, or Metroid Dread and Advance Wars when discussing switch releases.

You nor anbody else nobody has provided any actual counterarguments to the label-agonsitic "major games + minor games + remakes" average between the Wii U and Switch I listed, or the numbers InfiniteFinites listed. It's all been semantic debates about the labels and categories, despite those specific averages being explicitly included to avoid any arguments about the categories. You're explicitly avoiding specifics and are just making general jabs. That speaks volumes.

Last post in this thread, I'll leave at that. As famous Mathematician and poet Scott Steiner once said, the numbers don't lie.
Numbers don’t lie, but their combined form of statistics and data can do, when they are massaged, misrepresented or distorted through the choice of what is included and excluded, especially when pushing to reach a pre-determined conclusion to support an argument. ‘Garbage in, garbage out’, something becoming more and more frightening when AI works on flawed or biased data sets.

Numbers don’t lie, but their combined form of statistics and data can do, when they are massaged, misrepresented or distorted through the choice of what is included and excluded, especially when pushing to reach a pre-determined conclusion to support an argument. ‘Garbage in, garbage out’, something becoming more and more frightening when AI works on flawed or biased data sets.
What particular stats are massaged, misrepresented, and distorted if you don't mind me asking? Please be specific. I tried to be as objective and neutral as possible, there's some stuff I missed (I forgot games like Torna and Cadence of Hyrule got retail releases for instance), but I was pretty open in the post asking people to correct any errors they saw. Also, like I said in the post, a range excluding any COVID impact (a 36 month interval) produces the the same averages, I just wanted to include the entire Wii U's lifespan. More importantly, FiniteInfinite's number crunching reaches the exact same conclusion I did, and they're seemingly free from any biases in this conversation. Everybody keeps ignoring this last point for some reason.

Perhaps reading an argument with a pre-determined conclusion to the contrary is going to lead one to dismiss it.

What particular stats are massaged, misrepresented, and distorted if you don't mind me asking? Please be specific. I tried to be as objective and neutral as possible, there's some stuff I missed (I forgot games like Torna and Cadence of Hyrule got retail releases for instance), but I was pretty open in the post asking people to correct any errors they saw. Also, like I said in the post, a range excluding any COVID impact (a 36 month interval) produces the the same averages, I just wanted to include the entire Wii U's lifespan. More importantly, FiniteInfinite's number crunching reaches the exact same conclusion I did, and they're seemingly free from any biases in this conversation. Everybody keeps ignoring this last point for some reason.

Perhaps reading an argument with a pre-determined conclusion to the contrary is going to lead one to dismiss it.
My point was that you left the conversation quoting ‘numbers don’t lie’, as if that’s a final, definitive statement proving your argument correct, when clearly there were mistakes in your dataset. I’m also not convinced by this argument reducing everything down to numbers when it ignores that Switch development takes a lot longer, ignores ports, and ignores major pieces of DLC, in order to reach your conclusion that the Switch is only comparable to the WiiU (as long as you ignore enough pieces of software). For the first two years of Switch’s lifespan, Nintendo was also supporting the 3DS, then we were straight into Covid. There are now shedloads more smaller titles on the eshop from third parties than there ever were on WiiU, which means Nintendo tentpole releases tend to be bigger affairs to stand out, and even the releases in their traditionally portable series now take much longer to develop.

Ports aren’t insignificant work either, the Zelda ports on WiiU certainly weren’t. But somehow you’ve ignored all of this context to frame a comparison of portions of the release list in a set period of time in order to stand up a point that Nintendo’s support for the Switch is comparable to the WiiU. And the only reason you seem to be trying to reach this conclusion of the Switch first party support somehow being the same as the WiiU is because you want more 2D Zelda and have spent the last two days arguing this point at length across multiple threads. It’s clearly a set conclusion you are trying to reach, hence you picking and choosing what to discount to get there while appealing to ‘numbers don’t lie’. Hence, ‘garbage in, garbage out’, if we’re using mathematical sayings about data to summarise a position.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom