• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Do you think Amiibo will continue for the Switch successor?

Yep! They continue to sell pretty well, no reason to stop. Slow down maybe (they kinda already have) but not stop.

Do I think they'll keep tricking suckers like me in to dropping £15+ on minimal effort figures which can't cost that much to create?

Yeah, obviously. They'd be silly not to.

They won't return to the days where they went a bit mad and we're doing many dozens a year, but big franchises like Zelda and Smash and Splatoon will continue to get figures for as long as the market doesn't completely go to 0.

They'll continue, but I wouldn't expect to see a return of the days where everything had amiibo compatibility.

I believe NFC readers is a very cheap technology these days, so there's no reason to not have it built in going forward; Not going to make any manufacturing too costly;

Amiibo are here to stay. I don't care for the functionality. The designs have been great after the initial weak line ups.

I just hope they do them again for Smash in case the characters I want an Amiibo of get added to the game.

I'm still salty there was no RE character in Smash lol.

I feel that they'll be around for quite a while. Clearly, they're popular, and there's a place for the collector, BUT it would be nice if the content tied to some of them was easily accessible in-game, or through the eShop. Also, If they had "digital amiibo", or easily accessible amiibo card packs, more people can access that content without taking up lots of space in their homes. I don't like the idea of content being locked behind limited edition phyical figurines, and you can get the cards online in some cases, anyway.

Quoted by: Law
They will still be around, but I don't expect them to release more than say half a dozen a year. After overloading us with Animal Crossing amiibos, Nintendo figured out the sweet spot with amiibo releases.

There is no way they will restart the line when they make a new Smash game.

I think support will continue but the creation of new amiibo will never be what it was during the boom era of the toys-to-life trend.

I feel that they'll be around for quite a while. Clearly, they're popular, and there's a place for the collector, BUT it would be nice if the content tied to some of them was easily accessible in-game, or through the eShop. Also, If they had "digital amiibo", or easily accessible amiibo card packs, more people can access that content without taking up lots of space in their homes. I don't like the idea of content being locked behind limited edition phyical figurines, and you can get the cards online in some cases, anyway.

A pack of 100 NFC 215 tags or cards are quite cheap these days to make your own.

Yes, I believe they will. I currently have nearly 150 right now and want to continue seeing my collection grow!

They’re an easy and profitable tie in for any major release, or really even anything they want to make an event out of. Think about the Link amiibo for TotK, many fans probably picked it up without a second thought along with the game (hello, it is me, “many fans”.) If they sold 500,000 of those things along with the 10 million games from the first week and whatever they’ve sold since, that’s a cool 7.5 million in added revenue.

They already exist in a much more mitigated form compared to their peak in the Wii U gen; I think they can stand to continue existing as they are currently, especially as they play a huge role in Super Nintendo World. Some major releases will get one or a few (Mario, Zelda, Splatoon; cards for Animal Crossing; occasionally other games), while many will not. Capcom and Konami seem to like them so we’ll probably keep getting figures for Monster Hunter and limited edition card sets for miscellaneous Konami games.

Remember that we'll be getting random Xenoblade 3 amiibo over a year after the game launched

I assume they'll still sporadically release a couple here and there for big releases, or if the devs really want it. Also for Smash.

I don't see why they wouldn't. They're a product line that still always manages to drum up enthusiasm. I own all of the Metroid amiibo (I'm not proud of what I had to pay for the Samus Returns ones), plus Squirtle, Celeste, Kapp'n, and a whole bunch of the Animal Crossing cards. I don't consider myself a super collector or anything, but Nintendo successfully got me to consoom, regardless. If they produce more Metroid amiibo in the future, I will be buying.

Probably will. They can also keep reprinting old ones for new entries in franchises like Zelda, AC, Mario. Seems like the easiest money for them.

If it's backwards compatible some games would have missing functionality if the system didn't support amiibo. I imagine it will return. Though new amiibo will probably continue to be scarce.

But honestly I'm surprised they still make them at all.

No sign of them disregarding the product line, imho (look at the recently announced Noa and Mia amiibo)

Pretty sure 90% of amiibo that are bought now a days are done as figurines, not for any kind of amiibo unlockable content. No reason for Nintendo to give up the money merch train.

If it will, I'm gonna need a size reduction. They're too big and I'm running out of space to store them. I don't even get them ALL, only some of them. Can't take make miniature amiibos, in a size similar to Warhammer minis? Maybe even sold as full sets, I'd love some Fire Emblem 10 piece miniature set instead of just two characters.

Do I think they'll keep tricking suckers like me in to dropping £15+ on minimal effort figures which can't cost that much to create?
I'm not sure I'd call them minimal effort - most of them are pretty nice for the cost. Very profitable for them? For sure.

Hopefully my dream of having 2B, a RE character and Alucard in the left side comes true one day lol.

Fx3rpLCaEAESz03

I still need Richter, Mario, Charizard and Pikachu.

99.9% positive Switch's successor will be compatible with amiibo. They're not removing features from OG Switch games, since I'm 100% convinced the successor will have Switch BC, and Nintendo is not giving up the extra cash they make with amiibo.

Back
Top Bottom