• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Do you really want those old Pokémon games or are you just nostalgic for them?

SeaBusCBus

Marth/Fox is 60/40
I bring this point up in specific regards to the clamoring for Pokémon Red Blue and Yellow and the want for them on NSO.

I cherished those games as a kid, so much so that I have red and pikachu tattoo'd on my arm. But when it comes to replaying those games, I find myself unable to finish them. They are slow and I find myself wishing I had those QoL updates (looking at you running shoes).

I recently played SoulSilver for the first time on the 3DS and it scratched that itch perfectly. I loved revisiting Johto and Kanto. The updated graphics, play mechanics, everything was perfect, and I feel like if I tried to go play Red, Blue or Yellow, I'd play it for like an hour and then be done with it.

Just curious, do you feel the same, or do you think you can recalibrate yourself to be able to dive back into those games and love them just as much?

The remakes are obviously more accessible and HGSS is the best Pokemon game ever, but I still find it easy enough to go back to the original games. They still hold up design wise, the main hurdle is navigating the PC boxes.

It is nostalgia but I also want to have them on Switch. Especially Red/Blue/Yellow can be really fun to do some challenge runs in because they're not bogged down by long-winded cutscenes and tutorials :D

Played through Red for the first time after it came to 3DS VC and enjoyed it, planning to play through Crystal sometime soon.

Running shoes are the only thing I miss.

I played Pokémon Blue earlier this year! It's overflowing with charm and is still one of the best if not the best RPG in the series and a timeless classic. I started with Gen 3 so I wouldn't call it nostalgia, they're just very well made. Finished a living dex on it and transferred them all to Home 😎

Wasn't a big fan of SoulSilver by comparison. The Gen 4 engine was very slow. The Poke Walker was cool though!

Last edited:
They still play fine, but yeah, if the DS games were on the table for NSO then I'd be more excited to jump into those for Gen 2... Mostly. Crystal is still the only mainline game in the series where you can play as the original heroine, since they dumped her for some stand-in in the remakes. Makes at least that one still important for the original gen 2 lineup. Still such a weird decision, since you don't see them dumping Red any time soon.

I would love a pixel remaster collection of Gen 1-5 that added QoL from the modern games.

1. Fix the bugs/soft locks in the earlier generations.
2. Add a fast-forward feature.
3. Add optional Exp-Share.
4. Add the option to remove HMs.
5. Add the option to turn off random encounters.
6. Add Pokemon Home support.
7. Add Mints/Bottle caps.
8. Make all legacy Mystery Gift / Events permanently available.
9. New difficulty options.
10. Remote access to PC.

Without at least some of that stuff I'd have a hard time going back to the older games. They have not aged well in a lot of ways.

Nah I'd rather play them on 3DS because at least you can transfer them forward to the latest games via Pokemon Bank to Home.

I also find them slow but I haven't played Gen 1 or 2 again in quite some time. I do need to finish my Emerald replay though.

I think it's mostly nostalgia. Every time I play a modern Pokemon game I marvel at the quality of life improvements. The game just moves along more quickly, you can access your boxes anywhere, you can see Pokemon in the overworld, no random trainer battles, no more forced HMs, etc. I even generally like XP Share, since I'm the type of person that rotates Pokemon in and out of my party frequently, and XP share lets me use a good variety without grinding a ton - and since I rotate a lot I'm not usually super over-leveled.

I would play Gold/Silver again if they dropped, but I feel like I would most likely not finish, if that makes sense. I'm not sure how well those original generations really hold up.

I will say if people want to revisit Gen 1 with better graphics and easier/more easy breezy gameplay, Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee are exactly what you're asking for. Two excellent and fun games on Switch for when you want to play a Pokémon game but your heart isn't really into playing a full Pokémon game. They're still arguably the best looking mainline games despite releasing in 2018.

I bring this point up in specific regards to the clamoring for Pokémon Red Blue and Yellow and the want for them on NSO
It would be cool but honestly I wouldn't play them. There's just too many QoL stuff that I would miss, and the limited dex won't be fun either.

But still, it would be cool. Could make my nephews/nieces play it and see how it holds up for them.

I think it's mostly nostalgia. Every time I play a modern Pokemon game I marvel at the quality of life improvements. The game just moves along more quickly, you can access your boxes anywhere, you can see Pokemon in the overworld, no random trainer battles, no more forced HMs, etc. I even generally like XP Share, since I'm the type of person that rotates Pokemon in and out of my party frequently, and XP share lets me use a good variety without grinding a ton - and since I rotate a lot I'm not usually super over-leveled.

I would play Gold/Silver again if they dropped, but I feel like I would most likely not finish, if that makes sense. I'm not sure how well those original generations really hold up.
RBY don't hold up super well. GSC absolutely do, though

Give them to me as they were on NSO or a separate app.

I know what I want! Love those original games and love going back to them. Would gladly play through Crystal again!

Only if they connect to Pokemon Home and the current gen of games. Give people the ability to catch all the missing Pokemon.

I haven't played them in a really long time, so I do want to play them again

BUT

I played all my OG Gameboy games on a Color, so that's what's nostalgic to me, and I don't want to play the games in boring monochrome or yucky green, which are the only options Nintendo ever gives for Gameboy games. Where is my "playing on a Color" option on NSO, Nintendo?

Pokémon is one of the franchises whose core gameplay has changed the least over time so yeah the old games still hold up perfectly fine lol

The main quality of life issues are needing to select HMs from the party menu, which is minor, and PC box switching, which you might not even run into if you're not trying to catch everything. I also don't need running shoes when the maps are much denser. Other than those couple things (and the graphics, which is a very large caveat that I could understand if some people can't get over), they are basically timeless imo. Classic turn based RPG design hasn't aged a day

Of course it's nostalgia. Those games are outdated as hell.

Even FRLG and HGSS are starting to show their age.

Nostalgia is a heck of a drug that spoils good, objective video game discourse imo.

I adored the early pokemon games in the late 90's, but I can't bring myself to play more than 5 minutes of them on retro handhelds.

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee are the perfect replacements to relive the old feels of G/R/B/Y.

I'd like them to be officially available and have Home support for the sake of "completeness"

but if I'm being honest with myself, I'm probably really only gonna go back to those older games on unofficial emulators where things like randomizers and 2x speed are an option

I had a much better time playing Pokémon red and currently playing Pokémon crystal on the 3ds than I did any of the switch Pokémon games, yeah.

I'd go as far as to say despite being Gameboy hardware limited, they're outright better games and that modern Pokémon games problems aren't actually entirely technical, since they're terrified of making the monster battling RPG actually expect even the slightest out of the player when it comes to battles any more.

Eh...without a speed up option unbearable. FR/LG are fine, HG and SS could benefit from one or some streamlining but hold up rather well...or not worse then more recent game (you can't pay me to revisit gen 7 and 8 with it's overly tutorialized introductions and cutscenes)

In general I mainly think that they should be made available from a preservation standpoint, but I personally am a lot more interested in GSC and later games.

Pokémon Red/Blue are amazing games in their own right. Not just for the time. Some speed-up options would be welcome, but I don’t need them. Definitely get them released.

They're fine, the gameplay hasn't fundamentally changed much, I've replayed any of the older games multiple times and could do so forever.

Also I don't even think a speed up button is that necessary (but it's nice obviously, especially for gen 4), at least the old games allow you to turn off animations and play on set. Scarlet/Violet are slower than some of the old games because you're forced to sit through moves, tera animations, constant prompts to switch etc etc.

I don't understand the "without a speed up they're unplayable" comments in this thread. Modern Pokemon games are slower paced than RBY, not faster!

I'm a zoomer and played Crystal for the first time last year - if not for the abominable level curve post-Blackthorn and bizarre Pokemon placements I honestly put it on par with HGSS. Being pre-special split is a big adjustment, but once you make that adjustment it's peak vibes. The only hold up I have with playing gen 1 is the sheer amount of bugs and unintended behaviors.

I don't understand the "without a speed up they're unplayable" comments in this thread. Modern Pokemon games are slower paced than RBY, not faster!
For real. Boxes and item management are the only things that stand out as slow as laborious, but even then there are less items and Pokémon to manage than modern games. Just a great pocket RPG.

These games have a distinct charm with their visuals and music, I'd gladly replay them any day.

c0b29a5dd96062f1bab619ab42db296a.gif
51-Kwaa.gif
tumblr_m8lo6vGyJ51qzbbtto1_500.gif
ConfuseRay.gif

I promise now that I'm not trying to pick on you specifically here, but my opinion can be summarised as pretty much exactly the opposite of this; modern pokemons biggest problem is it's shaved too many of the edges off.
You don't have to prepare at all for heading out in to the wilderness because you have literally everything at your fingertips at all times. You don't have to look forward on your town map, see there's a cave coming up and think "maybe I should bring a few tankier pokemon, there's a dungeon on the next route and I might have to get through a bunch of zubats" or see a long bit of ocean and think "I'll need a water pokemon, and a electric type might be a good idea to deal with the types I'll be attacked by" or when you're heading in to a desert, "A grass type would perhaps be a good thing to bring in to here", because you can always bring everything. My ideal pokemon campaign is one like they used to be designed, by which I mean it should be a list of challenges between major points of interest, to see whether you're adequately equipped in terms of a team in order to get through. And if not, you try again, already a little bit stronger because of your previous attempt. The approach and passing through Mt. Moon, a stage you face after your first gym in pokemon RBY is straight up harder on basically every level, than anything in any of the modern pokemon games, and that's a real problem.
On top of that, there are mechanics that the QOL stuff just outright broke. For example, you no longer have dead weight pokemon that if you struggle a bit through training, it'll pay off later like Magikarp, because you can just leave it in a ball and not require any more work than any other pokemon to train. Like, modern pokemon straight up makes Magikarps gimmick just not work at all.
You have to actively put a lot of effort in to not having a massive strength advantage over the AI, continuously shuffling out these same pokemon who originally, at least part of the idea was you're bonding with your pokemon through your journey.

Maybe these idea's didn't all work out in practice, and I'm certainly not going to claim that pokemon was ever particularly challenging, but they it seems to me like they gave up even the slightest of pretenses at some point.
Certainly in any case, it's hard to buy the pokemon world as dangerous as we were all lead to believe way back when that professor yelled at us to stay out of the tall grass because we'll literally die if we don't have proper partner pokemon with us ourselves.

I guess what I want is an actual journey with my pokemon, that we have to battle and explore through, and I just haven't been getting that from the modern games. Even what should have been an easy slam dunk with the Pokemon BDSP remakes, flubbed it because it had the modern exp curve

Last edited:
I promise now that I'm not trying to pick on you specifically here, but my opinion can be summarised as pretty much exactly the opposite of this; modern pokemons biggest problem is it's shaved too many of the edges off.
You don't have to prepare at all for heading out in to the wilderness because you have literally everything at your fingertips at all times. You don't have to look forward on your town map, see there's a cave coming up and think "maybe I should bring a few tankier pokemon, there's a dungeon on the next route and I might have to get through a bunch of zubats" or see a long bit of ocean and think "I'll need a water pokemon, and a electric type might be a good idea to deal with the types I'll be attacked by" or when you're heading in to a desert, "A grass type would perhaps be a good thing to bring in to here", because you can always bring everything. My ideal pokemon campaign is one like they used to be designed, by which I mean it should be a list of challenges between major points of interest, to see whether you're adequately equipped in terms of a team in order to get through. And if not, you try again, already a little bit stronger because of your previous attempt. The approach and passing through Mt. Moon, a stage you face after your first gym in pokemon RBY is straight up harder on basically every level, than anything in any of the modern pokemon games, and that's a real problem.
On top of that, there are mechanics that the QOL stuff just outright broke. For example, you no longer have dead weight pokemon that if you struggle a bit through training, it'll pay off later like Magikarp, because you can just leave it in a ball and not require any more work than any other pokemon to train. Like, modern pokemon straight up makes Magikarps gimmick just not work at all.
You have to actively put a lot of effort in to not having a massive strength advantage over the AI, continuously shuffling out these same pokemon who originally, at least part of the idea was you're bonding with your pokemon through your journey.

I guess what I want is an actual journey with my pokemon, that we have to battle and explore through, and I just haven't been getting that from the modern games.
Best way I can think to describe it is the older games feel like JRPGs that star creatures called Pokémon, while the newer ones feel like "Pokémon RPGs". Apologies if that's incoherent but there are definitely positives and negatives of Pokémon becoming one of the biggest if not the biggest brand in the world. And I say that as someone who loves Gen 7 and Gen 9.

I'd go as far as to say despite being Gameboy hardware limited, they're outright better games and that modern Pokémon games problems aren't actually entirely technical, since they're terrified of making the monster battling RPG actually expect even the slightest out of the player when it comes to battles any more.
Meh. Most if not all of the difficulty (or lack therof) of Gen 1 comes from the games being held together by ducktape and goodwill.

Yes, I do want the Legacy Video Game service I pay for to have as much as readily available content as possible.

Meh. Most if not all of the difficulty (or lack therof) of Gen 1 comes from the games being held together by ducktape and goodwill.

Definitely disagree. Obviously It's not going to feature on anyones hardest (or even moderately hard) RPG's ever list, but the level curves are deliberately way above where you'll be without grinding if you just follow the story and a reasonable number of wild battles on each route. They routinely put relatively long gauntlets of trainers between you and towns, and that's where the decision making comes in, how many do you want to battle before you risk returning to the pokemon centre to refresh. The modern games would basically never let the player end up in a position where they may have to go about making a decision to return rather than make the minor risk-reward decision of pushing on and risk losing a bit of money.

Best way I can think to describe it is the older games feel like JRPGs that star creatures called Pokémon, while the newer ones feel like "Pokémon RPGs". Apologies if that's incoherent but there are definitely positives and negatives of Pokémon becoming one of the biggest if not the biggest brand in the world. And I say that as someone who loves Gen 7 and Gen 9.
That's a much better way to put it with a fraction of the words

I never played them, so yeah.

Regardless, it’s not really a matter of “want”. They’re a significant part of Nintendo history, and there’s a modern platform they can be played on. That alone is reason enough to warrant them returning.

I mostly want them as they were fun to experience and replay. As well as the 'mons that I get won't have to be stuck on the cart or go through a whole bunch of transferring between gens of games if the game is remade/made available on NSO.

Personally, not really. I already have Yellow and Crystal on my 3DS, and working cartridge versions of the other games. I'm also rarely itching to replay a Pokemon game before gen 4 in general. But there's no good reason to not make them available.
Agreed. I think around Ruby/Sapphire the games sorta started to fit a specific mold for branding purposes, rather than just being monster RPGs. And while I enjoy pretty much every Pokemon gen to varying degrees, there is a certain charm to the earlier ones in that regard.

both. a record of games from a different time and all that implies. I don’t want them to be remade into something better or faster — I just want easier access to the old ones.

there’s a place for both remakes and records — I am currently craving records. it’s important to know how things were and how they changed.

especially when the game I’m working on is influenced by the impression those left — not necessarily the reality of them.

I’d like the option to compare.

however, my ceaseless quest for Hey You, Pikachu! is definitely more academic / nostalgic than sensible

I'm not interested in nor am particularly nostalgic for any of them, except for maybe gen 2. Even then, if I revisit gen 2 these days, it's likely to be through one of the many impressive romhacks that have sprung up over the years.

That said, I'm definitely not opposed to them going on NSO for those who want them.

I have no nostalgia for anything pre gen 5 but they’d be nice to have idk. I wish they’d be comparable with Pokemon Home or Pokemon Stadium but I don’t think that’s possible.

I have no nostalgia for anything pre gen 5 but they’d be nice to have idk. I wish they’d be comparable with Pokemon Home or Pokemon Stadium but I don’t think that’s possible.
Home compatibility is basically guaranteed, though likely not at launch. They went out of their way to connect the 3DS VC releases to Bank, it was just bundled into the following major update.

Stadium does seem unlikely, though, as they don't really seem to be doing anything about Transfer Pak support in general.

RBY is a fine game, if a little fucked up, unbalanced and glitchy due to punching way above the Game Boy with a small team.
GSC is better, but still have their fair share of problems, mainly due to level pacing and needing to cram things into that cartridge even more than before.
RSE is just great, even if it's not my favourite generation of Pokemon. FRLG bugfixing the hell out of Gen 1 and adding abilities, better movepools and such makes them the best way to go back to it unless you really want that Gen 1 jank. Wish it didn't lock post Gen 1-evos like Crobat behind postgame though.

All of these can be added to NSO, there's not really much reason why they shouldn't, even if it may take a bit cause they'd probably want Home support like they did with Pokemon Bank on 3DS.

I will say if people want to revisit Gen 1 with better graphics and easier/more easy breezy gameplay, Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee are exactly what you're asking for. Two excellent and fun games on Switch for when you want to play a Pokémon game but your heart isn't really into playing a full Pokémon game. They're still arguably the best looking mainline games despite releasing in 2018.
This. Let’s Go is amazing. Still wish it had pro controller support though.

Back
Top Bottom