• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Do you like your job?

Christo750

Source of the Right Arm
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Good afternoon Fami, I'm having a bit of a crisis admittedly. I am a photographer/videographer and the bulk of my time is in editing. I don't mind the shooting and I actually like meeting people and working with new people constantly. But I actively hate the post-production work; it is my least favorite part and it is unfortunately the bulk of my working time.

My profession is the way I can make the most amount of money as quickly as I can, and with the freeform schedule I have, I think I'd find it tough to go to some type of desk job or a more rigorously scheduled thing.

So my question as I try to balance my life is this: do you like your job? I'm not really asking if it fulfills you or not (though feel free to sound off if it does), I'm asking if you like it enough to be worth the tradeoff. The time spent doing it, the money made, etc.

Sound off below.

For the most part yes, but I’m developing more and more friction with my direct supervisor, who is more tenured but less knowledgeable and frankly competent than I am. I’m concerned that with a move planned later in the year, they are planning to throw me under the boss to secure their own position, to the point where I myself am preemptively meeting with the org heads of where we are going to make my own case directly to them. It’s needlessly frustrating, so I’m looking at internal opportunities elsewhere to sidestep it all since I generally enjoy state government work otherwise.

I like it well enough, but it's hard to for anything to be done 40 hours a week and not feel overwhelming

not at all. I work in Human Resources, my boss despises me, my ADHD makes me really struggle with attention to detail. I want to do something I like doing, but I can’t think of anything I’d like to do that will provide me with job satisfaction AND pay the bills. I am dying to work in the games industry, but I’ve never coded anything in my life, and I’ve never written good creative fiction. I know there are other admin things I could do at a game dev/publisher, but not sure I’ll be satisfied from that either.

I started working at McDonald's straight out of high school. After two years I had enough to buy my first car and immediately started looking for a different job. I got hired by Dollar General and worked there for two months. Currently I work a desk job at a trucking company.

I haven't enjoyed any of the jobs I've had. I am however grateful to have had them so I can buy food and pay bills. I'm two years into completing a four year accounting degree. I don't really like accounting either, I'm just doing the safe route that will give me enough money to live.

My love is for video games but I feel like it's too late for me to get into that industry. I'm pretty sure video game companies hire accountants too though so who knows.

No, not particularly, but I have cats to raise and a mortgage to pay. I’m skeptical that another job would offer a better situation. Unless I colossally fuck up, my job is probably safe even if I straight up imposter syndrome through most work days.

Pros:
  • I like most of the people I directly work with;
  • I’m paid pretty well despite not keeping up with inflation;
  • Management in IT isn’t especially strict about logging PTO for miscellaneous appointments. For example, if I have a doctor’s appointment, I don’t have to report it. I can just be away for a few hours;
  • Work from home (for now);
  • Decent health insurance.
Cons
  • Not passionate about the work literally at all;
  • PTO is limited to one pool of 14 days that is slowly earned per pay period throughout the year;
  • Yearly merit raises are capped at 4% and it’s usually less;
  • A former supervisor still acts like one and micromanages;
  • People keep asking me to “advise” on things when I’m like at the bottom of the IT totem pole. Like dude, I’m not a decision maker and I’ve explained this 47272637 times already.

People keep asking me to “advise” on things when I’m like at the bottom of the IT totem pole. Like dude, I’m not a decision maker and I’ve explained this 47272637 times already.
Please advise, per my last email, as you stated on the attached, with priority…

I do.

I have some freedom in my work schedule, training, great coworkers, a manager who I get along with quite well, another one who is more strict, but fair. Plus I can crack jokes about her and we’ll laugh about it.

I won’t delve too much into it, it’s middle management what I do. Yeah it has its tough moments, but when the team gets something done or a member is showing growth because you worked together on it… is really cool.

There are things I dislike. But the good outweighs the bad easily.

Not particularly, no.

I originally studied in IT and went for my master in the field, but due to circumstances within the family, I dropped out after half a year and then covid hit and I've been kind of meandering ever since. Have done voluntary work at a second hand store for almost two years with everything going in and out of lock downs, and have been working in the retail since late 2021. At first in the entertainment sales department (which I genuinely loved) and was transferred against my will to service. And if there's one thing I've learned since I've been moved to my current section of the store, it's a renewed hatred for people and that people genuinely have not a single cell in their body to reflect on their own shit before returning to the store to try and have us fix it... I do gel wonderfully with my colleagues though and we have hang together after work and on our days off occasionally, so it's not the worst thing thankfully.

Will transfer to another location soon though, and after that's been arranged I'll see if I can somehow make my way back into the IT world. Sure, I lack the master I was aiming for, but hopefully my regular diploma will allow me to arrange some things.

It's fine. I work at a massive golf resort. The pay and benefits are pretty good for the job and it's a very laid back work environment. Only issue is the kids on salary trying to change things to make a name for themselves.

I don't want to go into details because it's an exhausting story but no, absolutely not.

It's an absolutely stellar example on how incredibly important a good and healthy job is for your life to feel satisfactory and fulfilling. You're often in there for 40 hours a week in most cases, after all. If you don't like your job, it's enough to make your whole life feel like it's falling apart.

I need a way out of here.

I like my job, though I've been on my current team for over five years now and am seriously thinking about a change, since I haven't been able to get promotion on my team. It's my one complaint about the team which is honestly pretty good going.

That said, I'm a civil servant and it's safe to say my views don't align with that of the UK government, so sometimes I struggle a bit with that and try to take solace in the people I can help. One option I've considered is moving to a less contentious department than my current one.

I do not enjoy my current job and frankly haven't enjoyed most of the ones I've had in the past either. This has generally been the biggest struggle of my adult life.

Last edited:
I'm a journalist and I love the craft and see great value in it which is what makes me stick with it. But I hate how we live in a world where it's been greatly devalued, defanged and twisted by the forces that be. At the same time I recognize that I'm fairly comfortable in my position, at least compared to other publications.

I do, but I hate working.
I still do my job as best as possibly can, especially as I'm working in the educational field, people (and kids) rely on me, I'm not producing any value, so it's important that I constantly do my best. If I wanted to do the strict minimum at work I would do another job.
I don't think I could have a job that would fit me better than this field I'm in, and when I'm at work I feel comfortable, because I'm more than competent at it, I know what I do, and almost each day I have good time with my coworkers and the kids.
The pay is utter shit. It's literally a passion job.

And yet whenever I'm home, man I just don't want to go back to work. I'm soon to be 30 years old, and I just don't see myself doing that for 30 (or even more) more years. I just hate the concept of working. It's stressful.

I like working with patients, and figuring out complex situations. I just feel like I would prefer to do it less and spend more time at home. lol. But it pays really well, and I get to help people out. I like my job, but I don't always like the work that comes along with it.

Ehhhh

I like it okay. I’m a plumber. There were times when I hated it, and wanted nothing more than to do something else. The hours are long, the work is sometimes hard, and I can feel my body starting to break down. I’m only 32, but my knees hurt, my fingers ache, my back is sore a lot. It’s not an easy job.

A few years ago I had an opportunity to move out of the field and into a sales counter position. I liked that a lot better. I was able to use my knowledge from ten years in the field, I had regular hours, and I didn’t hurt at the end of the day. The only issue is the pay wasn’t as good as when I was a service technician.

When my wife got pregnant with our second child, we decided that she would leave her job and be a stay-at-home mom. Since our income was going to be taking a big hit, I needed to leave the sales counter and return to the field. I dreaded this. I wanted nothing more than to stay on the counter and never work in the field again. But financially, I had no choice.

I’m now almost a full year into my return to the field. It’s not quite so bad as I remember it being. The hours are still long, and I still hurt. But the pay is a lot better. And the work can be very rewarding at times; it’s nice to be able to make someone’s day by unclogging their bathtub or replacing their water heater. Another benefit of being in the field is that you’re never in the same place every day. You’re always going somewhere new and meeting new people. That keeps it interesting.

I still don’t want to be a plumber for the rest of my life. But for now, it’s not the worst job in the world.

whoops didn't mean to abandon my thread lol.

thanks for all your input everyone. seems like the general consensus is whatever doesn't make you immediately wretch and is able to keep you fed and housed is typically enough. which does sound ideal for me. my life is consistently inconsistent and i'm tired of stressing about the lack of security.

i also write a lot of music and want to write a lot more about video games, but that requires a certain level of creativity that is also eaten up by my job. 2023 in particular was dry with work. it was maybe the worst financial year relative to my needs in my entire "career", so i had to take a lot more editing work to try to accommodate for the gaps that didn't come close to getting filled completely. so my creative endeavors took a major hit this year (for this among other reasons). i joke with my friends about having a USPS application open on my computer for the day i finally had enough (not to discredit the job, i know it's great but it's something so radically different to what i do now), but when my therapist and i talk about it, she said it actually might be healthier for me long-term to work in an environment that lets me turn my brain off. and when i end work for the day, i don't have to think about it again.

my wife is also in the middle of a career shift. very very very abridged version of the story, she's been waiting to hear back from a job for a few weeks now, and she got laid off from her last job like a week and a half before christmas. she basically has this new job, but the corporate structure she's trying to get into has a lot of checks and balances so she needs approval from another person. when that offer comes through it's going to be life-changing. but in the meantime, she's left waiting with unemployment.

I feel blessed to be able to say that yes, I absolutely love it.

I work in an autistic-led advocacy group, run by autistics for autistics, where we do mentoring programs for young neurodivergent people.
When I was a kid, I didn't have a diagnosis, much less any actual support. Being able to make sure the next generation get a better start is immensely fulfilling.

Yeah, I like them a lot, both of them, I work in a smelter and help out in my mother's restaurant. The only part I don't like is customer service, it seriously astounds me how obnoxious, insolent, picky, impatient and rude customers can be, and on a very consistent basis at that; so I'll be very clear here and sorry for the language: don't be assholes to restaurant staff if the situation doesn't warrant it, people, they've it very bad as it is.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I've been a medical scribe for a little while now. I love my job, although it's dependent on the doctors and systems I'm working with, but it pays peanuts.

Overall I'm happy with my job. I don't want to be here long-term, or at least not this exact position. But there are days where I genuinely want to be here and don't feel like I'm actually doing work as much as I am doing something enjoyable. Some days I just feel imposter syndrome sludging through projects I don't particularly care about, it all kinda depends. But I never hate the fact that I have to go to work even on the worst days, and I'm rarely counting down the hours until I get to leave, which is a step up from earlier jobs. I think the fact that I can largely set my own pace of work helps with that.

The fact that it's paying more nicely than anything else I'm officially qualified for (I dropped out of college after three semesters) doesn't hurt either, of course. And I can probably go back to school part-time while I'm here, and potentially get a position I'm genuinely passionate about. But at present, I'm content to get my savings back in order.

Finding a balance that works for you is key. It's great that your profession allows for a flexible schedule, which can be a huge plus. It might be worth exploring ways to streamline or outsource some of the post-production work so you can focus more on the aspects you enjoy.
As for liking my job, I've had my ups and downs, but overall, I do find it fulfilling. It's a tradeoff, for sure, but for me, the positives outweigh the negatives.
When I was job hunting, I had a good experience with Adkins and Cheurfi recruitment agency. They provided me with plenty of options and helped me land a couple of interviews. If you're still searching, they might be able to assist you too.

Last edited:
Finding a balance that works for you is key. It's great that your profession allows for a flexible schedule, which can be a huge plus. It might be worth exploring ways to streamline or outsource some of the post-production work so you can focus more on the aspects you enjoy.
What are your opinions on how AI or bots will challenge the workforce in the near future?

I've never had a job, but I'm only 20. I already know I won't like whatever I end up getting into though haha.

The good part of my job, is that it's flexible (Im not forced to go to the office. Encouraged to, but ultimately it's my choice). And I probably (definitely) work less hours than Im supposed to, but as long as I do what asked of me, no-one complaints. And its not stressful.

The bad part, is that its not fulfilling.

I work in data. Good work life balance and enough money to pay for my hobbies so I'm pretty happy. Some days I do things I like at work and some days I dont.

I like it in the sense that it pays very well and gives me a lot of freedom and flexibility. It involves traveling around which I enjoy most of the time when it's not overwhelming.

I dislike that I need to stay on my employers' good side to keep my current life style and pay my mortgage. They aren't exactly bad people, it's kind of a chill company, but I'm just not used to feeling like a dog on a leash. I've been feeling like this since I was promoted to this position since I applied for it internally several time and finally got it and it's a lot of responsibility, I feel the pressure of having to perform all the time and I don't like that (even if I'm performing well).

Also, due to particular circumstances (it's a representative job in the countryside and a conservative area), I've had to lie about my sexuality a few times which I never did in my life since I came out, and had to stop wearing earrings, dressing casual etc and I simply hate that. At the moment, I'm focused on paying for my first house and when that's done, I'll think about self employment possibilities with the connections I'm making here.

Work as a tax accountant for a public firm; it’s good, but busy season is killing me right now. Should die down in about a week though, although I have to study for the CPA exams so I’ll still have no free time…

I have 3 Jobs, out of necessity, having said that, enjoy all of them to some degree (pro and cons).

My main job is at a school district as a benefits manager, I get along with my employees, and it pays well (for south texas), I do really like what I do, but sometimes I feel that I mastered everything in my department. Another plus, is that I have enough free time to run my second job.

I'm a US licensed customs broker, and freight forwarder, do a lot of small imports, I like the consulting, the operation itself, but I do not like all the red tape that you have go through to run the business and the accounting part. Yuck

Finally, I am a part time professor, at a community College, fairly new to this position and I do enjoy teaching to students about import and export, is like consulting for a client.

I feel blessed and overwhelmed at the same time. I do not complain a lot, because I have seen a lot of people struggling to get a job, to run a business or to bring food to the table.

Work as a paraeducator. It's alright, I like that I'm out more and it pays well enough for me. I have enough freetime still even if I'm tired more often.

Its a bit much sometimes, but its mostly unrelated to the job and more so to being around more people post transition.

I didn't. But it's moot because I quit two days ago and have something lined up that hopefully pans out and isn't a soul sucking nightmare.

I'm not super optimistic with the current climate... Gotta pay the bills though :/

I'm a data scientist, and I love it.

Well, love may be too strong of a word for something I'm forced to do 8 hours per day, but I do like it.

Work as a paraeducator. It's alright, I like that I'm out more and it pays well enough for me. I have enough freetime still even if I'm tired more often.

Its a bit much sometimes, but its mostly unrelated to the job and more so to being around more people post transition.
I'm also a paraeducator and although there are perks of the job, I might have to quit after my contract is up due to both health issues and general lack of upward mobility. We'll see how it goes.

I do like my job. Both for what I do and for the great work life balance. They really pissed me off recently though so I'm interviewing at another place right now. The reason is purely emotional, and I wonder if it's even worth the risk of screwing up what I got, but the fact that employees have like zero leverage aggravates me to no end. We'll see what happens

My jobs have all ruled from a status and ease perspective but they've all been shit in terms of having to take orders from people I'm better than. Luckily, I will simply start my own business, and not listen to people when I don't want to. The effective monarchy of business is so tempting!

Back
Top Bottom