• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Retro Disney has finally fixed Cinderella's dress after 17 years.

That's fine, we all have our opinions. If you think they should have "told the plan!!1!1" to a recently demoted X-wing pilot, then by all means.

For me, I'll chalk up yet another example of TLJ haters giving incoherent/nonsensical reasons for disliking it.

This TBH is way closer to chud behavior then Phos finding a Star Wars movie stupid.

The line between the Star Wars fan and the gamer is almost indistinguishable...

That's fine, we all have our opinions. If you think they should have "told the plan!!1!1" to a recently demoted X-wing pilot, then by all means.
For me, I'll chalk up yet another example of TLJ haters giving incoherent/nonsensical reasons for disliking it.
Oh come off it, is there really any reason for that last line. Following up ‘we all have opinions’ with ‘but yours are incoherent/nonsensical’ is unnecessary. So is badging any criticism as a ‘hater’.

For what it’s worth, I’ve given my reasons why I like Luke’s arc above, but I think the point on Poe is that there’s a huge difference between ‘we’re being tracked, the less people that know our plans the better, including you’ and ‘trust us’, it just felt a bit petty when at the brink of annihilation . It’s not like Poe is ‘just’ an x-wing pilot when he’s the former CAG (when air group pilots have been dying in droves since the very first film) and an operative they trusted enough in TFA to go looking for the map to skywalker.

I don’t that makes me a ‘hater’. I just think it s a two hour fantasy film with some great bits that made me cheer and smile and some clumsy writing that had me roll my eyes (just like Endgame). Which is my whole point about nuance, that we can’t discuss elements without being badged as an actor in some wider argument. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Probably shouldn't say what I wanna say.

Probably shouldn't say what I wanna say.

It's literally stuff like this that makes me hate Star Wars fans. One of the worst fanbases on the planet by far. So many fans completely unable to accept people not liking any given part of it. Someone can't just not like Last Jedi, they must be stupid, their opinion must be wrong, it must be corrected with Facts and Logic! Literally gamer behavior.

Now let's get back to invoking "marooning" on all Disney Cruise goers

Can we please implement a forum wide "do not under any circumstances randomly devolve into relitigating the logistics of the entire screenplay of that star wars sequel" rule please.

This is a thread about the color of Cinderalla's dress for fucks sake. How does this keep happening.

Now let's get back to invoking "marooning" on all Disney Cruise goers
I think it’s just Pixar I have some regard for these days, even if I think their more recent films aren’t their best. But I think they still have the talent to turn it around, even the weaker films still have elements that make me think ‘that’s clever’.

I think it’s just Pixar I have some regard for these days, even if I think their more recent films aren’t their best. But I think they still have the talent to turn it around, even the weaker films still have elements that make me think ‘that’s clever’.

I just don't like them either! I've never been a huge Pixar fan in the first place, I guess. But I can recommend watching the original Toy Story in 4K for some funny textures and one REALLY funny Buppy Dog

I just don't like them either! I've never been a huge Pixar fan in the first place, I guess. But I can recommend watching the original Toy Story in 4K for some funny textures and one REALLY funny Buppy Dog
Lol. Fair enough!

I was talking to some friends about cruises the other day and I have to say the whole concept of a cruise, regardless of Disney or not, sounds like something I’d go out of my way to avoid. Packed in with far too many other people on limited facilities with no escape. I enjoy travel with my wife anywhere, but it’s funny how something that’s been romanticised endlessly for over a century just sounds like our personal idea of hell, a gilded cage.

Lol. Fair enough!

I was talking to some friends about cruises the other day and I have to say the whole concept of a cruise, regardless of Disney or not, sounds like something I’d go out of my way to avoid. Packed in with far too many other people on limited facilities with no escape. I enjoy travel with my wife anywhere, but it’s funny how something that’s been romanticised endlessly for over a century just sounds like our personal idea of hell, a gilded cage.

It's really unpleasant sounding! I hate even the idea of cruises. There's something about it that reeks of excess, like golf or eating gold flakes on your food.

It's really unpleasant sounding! I hate even the idea of cruises. There's something about it that reeks of excess, like golf or eating gold flakes on your food.
Yeah. I remember my grandparents talking about a cruise they went on, which would have been in the 1950s. I guess to their generation there was an element of social status and adventure still attached to it- they spoke about the excitement of having dinner with the captain, but this was before the age of the modern travel industry. Today having dinner with the captain on a cruise liner is like having dinner with a generic senior hotel marketing executive/administrator, it just seems like ‘why do I care what this person thinks’, they seem a lot less interesting to me than a senior officer would have been to my grandparents.

My mother is absolutely obsessed with cruises. She lives and breathes travel vlogs and planning cruises, she is never in a state of not planning at least one cruise. So, unfortunately, I've been on some cruises.

It's not even excessive in a fun or convenient way, you just spend a fuckton of money to get trapped in a hotel for a week with thousands of other people. You can't leave and you have no real privacy anywhere, you can't even just stay in your room because the creepy stepford butlers get distressed if you don't let them in to clean every day, probably because they'll be thrown overboard if they displease you or something. I hate it.

I'm still absolutely baffled that the previous release was considered a restoration/remaster. They DNR'ed the living hell out of the film and literally repainted entire portions and didn't even manage to stay within the line work and left blotches throughout the entire presentation. We'll never get a complete classic range on 4k, never. But at least I'm happy knowing this disaster is put straight, now, this just leaves the others that were mistreated so badly...

And can you also please just bloody restore the original cut of The Black Cauldron while we're at it?!

My mother is absolutely obsessed with cruises. She lives and breathes travel vlogs and planning cruises, she is never in a state of not planning at least one cruise. So, unfortunately, I've been on some cruises.

It's not even excessive in a fun or convenient way, you just spend a fuckton of money to get trapped in a hotel for a week with thousands of other people. You can't leave and you have no real privacy anywhere, you can't even just stay in your room because the creepy stepford butlers get distressed if you don't let them in to clean every day, probably because they'll be thrown overboard if they displease you or something. I hate it.
Thanks for confirming all my fears of cruises. Sorry you had to go on them :)

I dislike TLJ because Finn and Rose's treatment is not good (neither is Poe's, for that matter), and their entire plotline ends up pointless. I think it's also very weird to wait until the end of the second movie in a trilogy for two of your leads (Rey and Poe) in a trio we're supposed to care about to actually meet. In the OT, you had Luke, Leia, and Han's dynamic building up from the very first film. It actually got us to care about them! My reasons for disliking TLJ have nothing to do with Luke being sad, or women being in the movie, or whatever.

I never got around to watching TRoS, since I didn't find TFA or TLJ to be all that compelling.

With the sizes cruise ships are growing to these days, it's not a hotel you're trapped in, it's a whole city. Cruises during the Titanic era were this "romantic" thing, now, hey, let's bring a mall and water park with us and lots of disease and hope the captain doesn't decide to do a sail by an Italian island too close and cause the ship to list to one side.

You made me doubt myself so I did some research (the image was sent to me a few days ago) ; I found the source and it's apparently not a dogwhistle, just someone who doesn't care about Marvel and Star Wars. Sorry for the confusion.

DCL is great (and also one of the only cruise lines that pay their employees actual living wage) and Pixar made excellent movies in the last few years (Luca, Turning Red, Elemental)

oh ew it's from some "animation is cinema11!!" dork

I dislike TLJ because Finn and Rose's treatment is not good (neither is Poe's, for that matter), and their entire plotline ends up pointless. I think it's also very weird to wait until the end of the second movie in a trilogy for two of your leads (Rey and Poe) in a trio we're supposed to care about to actually meet. In the OT, you had Luke, Leia, and Han's dynamic building up from the very first film. It actually got us to care about them! My reasons for disliking TLJ have nothing to do with Luke being sad, or women being in the movie, or whatever.

I never got around to watching TRoS, since I didn't find TFA or TLJ to be all that compelling.
TRoS is the mythical movie so bad it retroactively ruined all of Star Wars. And my childhood.

TRoS is the mythical movie so bad it retroactively ruined all of Star Wars. And my childhood.
Yeah, I heard it was poo poo. Doesn't seem as though I'm missing out on anything.

The colour grading in the original Cinderella:

johnboyegafinn-161087.png

The colour grading in the HD re release:

th

The colour grading in the new new restoration:

john-boyega-star-wars-movies-screenshot-finn.png

Last edited:
TLJ is a crap film with some decent themes that shits all over it's non-white characters.

TRoS is a piece of shit disaster that also happens to be the best animatronics showcase Hollywood has put out in a decade.

I dislike TLJ because Finn and Rose's treatment is not good (neither is Poe's, for that matter)

Genuinely curious, why do you think their treatment was not good? Especially Poe. His growth over the course of the film had Leia making him the defacto leader by the end of it.

and their entire plotline ends up pointless

Character development for Finn or anyone else is never pointless. Just because their plan didn't work, doesn't mean it was pointless. The OT is full of situations where plans don't work out as intended, that's just story-telling.

I think it's also very weird to wait until the end of the second movie in a trilogy for two of your leads (Rey and Poe) in a trio we're supposed to care about to actually meet. In the OT, you had Luke, Leia, and Han's dynamic building up from the very first film.

The sequels get dinged for copying the OT, now they get dinged for not copying the OT. Just because the OT did something, doesn't mean the ST has to do it too.

Genuinely curious, why do you think their treatment was not good? Especially Poe. His growth over the course of the film had Leia making him the defacto leader by the end of it.

Character development for Finn or anyone else is never pointless. Just because their plan didn't work, doesn't mean it was pointless. The OT is full of situations where plans don't work out as intended, that's just story-telling.

The sequels get dinged for copying the OT, now they get dinged for not copying the OT. Just because the OT did something, doesn't mean the ST has to do it too.
People can dislike a movie without having to rigorously defend their opinion to some random internet jabroni.

maz-the-rise-of-skywalker_2389eb4d.jpeg

Seriously, look at the level of detail there. JJ Abrams and Lucasfilm seriously thought "We may not have a script yet for this film, or a plot, or any identifiable story structure, but goddamn it we're going to build all the aliens as animatronic robots to film in camera rather than using CG in post."

I can only assume all the animatronics from TroS are now having a happy second lease of life over at the Star Wars park in Disney World.

Disney in general lost me. I think the only part of it ive consistently liked recently has been their tv animation. And thats not when theyre ending shows prematurely or giving grief to their creators.

Also, add another to the Nimona cheerleading squad, the film is amazing.

Alright, I’ll bite: What character development gained from that outing is worthwhile? Finn and Rose bond over, like, freeing some animals? They are dumb as rocks for trusting a guy who literally sounds like a snake? That they freed from captivity? If the goal is to make them into a goodhearted duo that can’t do anything whatsoever correct (while also being canonically stupid), then I guess mission accomplished?

Poe’s arc is ludicrous, too. Call it reductive all you want, but I think it is pretty hard to argue against the notion that Poe’s story boils down to blindly accepting authority (even though that ultimately leads to a fruitless suicide mission). Oscar Isaac was a highlight of TFA and by the end of this movie he is neutered to the point that I wish he would have volunteered to take Holdo’s place.

I think it is on you to provide the receipts for some of the alleged accomplishments of the movie. Many of us have brought arguments to the table, and all you’ve done is suggest that we are nonsensical, or whatever it is you called @Phosphorescent Skeleton.

Cinderella II is the best and boldest entry in the franchise.

Where the original Cinderella was just a rehash of the same old fairytale tropes, Cinderella II makes bold statements about moving on from traditions, and following your own path in life. Picking up directly after Cinderella, it's unafraid to re-evaluate franchise cliches and subvert your expectations as a viewer.

The Tall Tail section with Jaq may seem like a pointless diversion that adds nothing to the main plot, but careful viewers will note that it's actually a thematically rich sub plot that dovetails beautifully with the franchise themes.

The film ever manages to recontextualize one of the series villains, recasting the Stepsister Anastasia as a complex human looking for love while dealing with overbearing commands from franchise ubervillain Lady Tremaine. Rather than sticking to tired stereotypes about irredeemable villains, Cinderella II shows that even bad guys can have depths hitherto unseen and even come across as sympathetic.

Some may criticize Cinderella II for things such as "lacking basic story structure" , "incoherent framing of characters" or "being a loose collection of ideas with nothing to tie it together as a cohesive whole" but these are the criticisms of the culturally ignorant mob with no appreciation for the finer points of corporate driven mass market entertainment.

Anyone who doesn't like Cinderella II is an alt right fascist.

Cinderella II is the best and boldest entry in the franchise.

Where the original Cinderella was just a rehash of the same old fairytale tropes, Cinderella II makes bold statements about moving on from traditions, and following your own path in life. Picking up directly after Cinderella, it's unafraid to re-evaluate franchise cliches and subvert your expectations as a viewer.

The Tall Tail section with Jaq may seem like a pointless diversion that adds nothing to the main plot, but careful viewers will note that it's actually a thematically rich sub plot that dovetails beautifully with the franchise themes.

The film ever manages to recontextualize one of the series villains, recasting the Stepsister Anastasia as a complex human looking for love while dealing with overbearing commands from franchise ubervillain Lady Tremaine. Rather than sticking to tired stereotypes about irredeemable villains, Cinderella II shows that even bad guys can have depths hitherto unseen and even come across as sympathetic.

Some may criticize Cinderella II for things such as "lacking basic story structure" , "incoherent framing of characters" or "being a loose collection of ideas with nothing to tie it together as a cohesive whole" but these are the criticisms of the culturally ignorant mob with no appreciation for the finer points of corporate driven mass market entertainment.

Anyone who doesn't like Cinderella II is an alt right fascist.
The Anastasia story was my only favorite segment from that movie and one I recount all the time. Humanizing a "evil step sister" as just another victim of a terrible mother dictating whom she should love and only cares about chasing for riches, class and status. Being able to finally stand up to your mother and standing up for yourself, creating a boundary and chasing your chance & dream just like Cinderella.

The sequel A Twist in Time was a fun concept, I like the idea of the Evil Stepmother getting ahold of one of the most powerful objects in Disney stories. I just wish it went in different directions and become more of a Shrek Forever After in terms of a dystopia fairy tale Cinderella world. As oppose to the Stepmother just trying to rewrite history.

Back
Top Bottom