• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Digital Foundry || Pikmin 4 - DF Tech Review - An Unreal Graphics Boost For Nintendo?

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight

A tech overhaul is afoot at Nintendo with Pikmin 4 making the jump to Unreal Engine - doing away with its in-house engine. The results impress: it moves to a dynamic 900p, boosts lighting and material quality and adds a host of post-effects to the experience. All round, the result is one of the Switch's best looking releases.
summary forthcoming
  • moves to Unreal Engine 4
  • docked 1440x810 - 1600x900
  • handheld 1066x600 - 1280x720
  • uses TAA
  • bokeh DoF, but at a lower resolution
  • chromatic aberration
  • has some pixel shimmer despite the TAA
  • environmental detail is greatly improved
  • object materials make great use of UE4's physically based rendering
  • runs at a locked 30fps, has some single frame dips here and there
    • transparent elements can drop frame rate more
written article is up

Last edited:
It's a very pretty game. Need to work myself through the first three entries first as a newcomer who wants to start at the very beginning.

still wondering if this was mainly an EPD supervised project with a third party developer (Eighting and others supposedly) doing much of the bulk work rather than being purely internal.

This and Metroid Prime remastered at 900p make me realize my eyes aren't as good as I thought. Both look really good on my 4k monitor.

still wondering if this was mainly an EPD supervised project with a third party developer (Eighting and others supposedly) doing much of the bulk work rather than being purely internal.
it's both an internal and external co-production. the chief director is from Nintendo, and the director is from Eighting, etc

I wonder if the reason Pikmin 4 took so long to make was because of switching engines.

This is a pie in the sky theory, but what if they tried to enhance and build on 3's engine but ran into issues when they wanted to incorporate the more ambitious camera system and scope?

And eventually things came together when the team just switched to Unreal as that engine was more capable? Nintendo is still one of the hold outs of proprietary engines for a good deal of their games.

I wonder if the reason Pikmin 4 took so long to make was because of switching engines.

This is a pie in the sky theory, but what if they tried to enhance and build on 3's engine but ran into issues when they wanted to incorporate the more ambitious camera system and scope?

And eventually things came together when the team just switched to Unreal as that engine was more capable? Nintendo is still one of the hold outs of proprietary engines for a good deal of their games.
unreal has also the advantage of being pretty much an industry standard so it definitely helps if you work alongside third party studios for either co production or support.

don't think this means much for the rest of EPD but clearly it'd benefit a title for Pikmin for the photorealistic look they want to achieve as well as getting enough development staff from third party sources.

I think it has to do with the co-development with Eighting as they're very proficient with Unreal Engine

EPD had lead programmers working with Unreal on this game. They also have other programmers not working on Pikmin using Unreal -- not sure for what.

I do wonder if Nintendo will try to continue enhancing their proprietary stuff using the knowledge they learn from Unreal or if they will wean off them to completely utilize 3rd party tools?

Nintendo does like to prioritize control over their stuff, so its a bit uncertain.

I imagine there are some in the company who don't the idea of being completely beholden to Epic.

I do wonder if Nintendo will try to continue enhancing their proprietary stuff using the knowledge they learn from Unreal or if they will wean off them to completely utilize 3rd party tools?

Nintendo does like to prioritize control over their stuff, so its a bit uncertain.

I imagine there are some in the company who don't the idea of being completely beholden to Epic.
hopefully they keep iterating on their tech alongside getting proficient in unreal for works more suited for it. The advantage of proprietary engine is as you said more control over features added to also avoid unnecessary stuff in the engine that might drag down performance and response time (I think a direct example would be SFV to SF6 with Capcom using the RE Engine for the latter)

maxresdefault.jpg

At this point it's more than clear Nintendo has mastered the HD development after struggling a bit in the Wii U origins. If they have managed to make this running on switch, I can only dream with what they will able to do with a considerable more powerful successor.

My personal theory is that it was a very iterative sequel originally, that got shelved because of the Wii U, and they just decided to retool everything when they saw the Switch trajectory.

Would explain the discrepancy of Miyamoto saying it was "near completion" lol.

Last edited:
At this point it's more than clear Nintendo has mastered the HD development after struggling a bit in the Wii U origins. If they have managed to make this running on switch, I can only dream with what they will able to do with a considerable more powerful successor.
We are at a point of diminishing returns for graphics so I can totally see Nintendo really doing amazing things with the potential successor. Even if the graphics are only slightly better than PS4's they've shown they can really squeeze everything out of a machine.

My guess is Unreal becomes sorta they're go-to for collaborative projects (like how Pikmin 4 was co-developed with Eighting) since it's increasingly becoming an industry standard, but for the more in-house stuff EPD will keep using its own engine.

We are at a point of diminishing returns for graphics so I can totally see Nintendo really doing amazing things with the potential successor. Even if the graphics are only slightly better than PS4's they've shown they can really squeeze everything out of a machine.
I don't think we're at diminishing returns yet. especially now that there are new techniques out there that can more intelligently push real time visuals

nintendo has a crack engineering staff as well as Nvidia to help them along. just pulling from Nvidia's recent research would allow them to push their tools further. just look at some of the independent work that came out of Nvidia's restir paper

I don't think we're at diminishing returns yet. especially now that there are new techniques out there that can more intelligently push real time visuals
Does what came in the PS4 gen REALLY look ugly to you outside of fringe bits? (Not saying you said that, but follow my logic for a bit.) Bad anti-aliasing here, stuttering framrate there, low resolution textures here, but how badly do they impact the whole games graphical quality, especially when the game is really high quality or magnificently styled?

Like this, one is better than the other, but does it actually make the previous one really look worse?

Ratchet_Metropolis_PS4Pro.jpg

riftapart_05.jpg

Even if the modern tools are intelligent, do they make the old displays of graphics actually look bad? More efficient from a dev pov maybe, and definitely better from someone who gets really into the graphics arms race. But take a step back to someone casually looking at an image, is this anything like what we saw with the transition from the early 360 era to the PS4 era?

Without caveats of the old style "being charming" or "nice in an abstract way" like what we've seen in previous gens, does what's coming out now REALLY make that big of an impression that a stylish Nintendo game can't also make?

Last edited:
We absolutely are. Compare the graphical quality of the PS4 and PS5, it's a marginal improvement at best.

Does what came in the PS4 gen REALLY look ugly to you outside of fringe bits? (Not saying you said that, but follow my logic for a bit.) Bad anti-aliasing here, stuttering framrate there, low resolution textures here, but how badly do they impact the whole games graphical quality?

Even if the modern tools are intelligent, do they make the old displays of graphics actually look bad? More efficient from a dev pov maybe, and definitely better from someone who gets really into the graphics arms race. But take a step back to someone casually looking at an image, is this anything like what we saw with the transition from the early 360 era to the PS4 era?

Without caveats of the old style "being charming" or "nice in an abstract way" like what we've seen in previous gens, does what's coming out now REALLY make that big of an impression that a stylish Nintendo game can't also make?
I'd argue yes. especially when you look at things like Ratchet and Clank on Steam Deck or Minecraft Pathtracing on ROG Ally.

to nintendo's benefit, lagging behind allows them to reap visual rewards for lower cost thanks to these more intelligent methods. for example, Pikmin 4 would definitely benefit from UE5's lumen and nanite

The main difference we're seeing with graphical development is more and more stuff bring done in real time or dynamically that would previously needed to have been pre-baked. This is the sort of thing that doesn't perhaps look that different on the front end, but is a huge game changer for developers on the back end.

It's making use of new hardware to have the engine do stuff that normally you'd have to design/model/texture by hand, and that in and of itself is pretty overwhelming and impressive.

I'd argue yes. especially when you look at things like Ratchet and Clank on Steam Deck or Minecraft Pathtracing on ROG Ally.

to nintendo's benefit, lagging behind allows them to reap visual rewards for lower cost thanks to these more intelligent methods. for example, Pikmin 4 would definitely benefit from UE5's lumen and nanite

From a casual point of view someone who isn't you know, us on a game forum slavishly watching DF videos; who even know to look for this sort of thing, or doesn't have to be told what to look for?

Which can be argued is Nintendo's primary audience.

The main difference we're seeing with graphical development is more and more stuff bring done in real time or dynamically that would previously needed to have been pre-baked. This is the sort of thing that doesn't perhaps look that different on the front end, but is a huge game changer for developers on the back end.

It's making use of new hardware to have the engine do stuff that normally you'd have to design/model/texture by hand, and that in and of itself is pretty overwhelming and impressive.

Overwhelming is how I'd describe it a lot of the time. I know I can recognize what makes it impressive, but from the front end, sometimes it feels like the Devs just go overboard with their toys to make something really overstimulating.

True. What if Nintendo released a 4k version with an engine swap for UE5 on the Next Gen System. it would look incredible with DLSS and RTX support. Even 1440p will still be Awesome, i know Nintendo would never do that but i remember Miyamoto always thought Pikimin with 4K was always a dream.

its interesting that Yoshi and Pikimin are game that swapped in house engine from the Wii U to Switch generation. Maybe MP4 as well does why it taking long.

Last edited:
From a casual point of view someone who isn't you know, us on a game forum slavishly watching DF videos; who even know to look for this sort of thing, or doesn't have to be told what to look for?

Which can be argued is Nintendo's primary audience.
yes, that's what I'm arguing, it is noticeable to the lay person. they might not be able to properly explain why but games like Ratchet has "fuzzier fur", "metallier metals", and "more detailed rocks and leaves". sometimes "more" and "better" does do a lot without the viewer knowing the details behind them

yes, that's what I'm arguing, it is noticeable to the lay person. they might not be able to properly explain why but games like Ratchet has "fuzzier fur", "metallier metals", and "more detailed rocks and leaves". sometimes "more" and "better" does do a lot without the viewer knowing the details behind them
But you're not saying what makes the previous one ugly. Like, yeah one is arguably better, but is it better enough to make a lot of people really turn up their noses at the previous one and really go "yeech"?

Something a straightforward remaster couldn't fix?

That flies in the face of a lot of Nintendo's current titles and their success. Tears of the Kingdom clearly is graphically "worse" than Horizon, but is the impact of that more abstract, "worseness" enough to impact Nintendo?

Like, this isn't like the previous gen where Nintendo was still operating at Wii staff sizes, and Wii scope for an era that really evolved long past that and they could no longer provide ambitious titles that still wowed and impressed even on their own merits.

I know we're getting into more of a philosophical/ideological discussion, but I felt it was fun to explore.

Nintendo certainly arent on a point of diminishing returns, that only happens at the PS4 level. We are lucky to still get one more gen where there will be instantaneously visible improvements (against ps4>ps5's more subtle ones)

Does what came in the PS4 gen REALLY look ugly to you outside of fringe bits? (Not saying you said that, but follow my logic for a bit.) Bad anti-aliasing here, stuttering framrate there, low resolution textures here, but how badly do they impact the whole games graphical quality, especially when the game is really high quality or magnificently styled?

Like this, one is better than the other, but does it actually make the previous one really look worse?

Ratchet_Metropolis_PS4Pro.jpg

riftapart_05.jpg

I think ratchet was one of the worst examples that you could have gotten, btw. The ps4 certainly still looks very good, but the ps5 game looks like an animated film!

But you're not saying what makes the previous one ugly
because I never said they're ugly. if you're argument is that it makes old games ugly, then you're misunderstanding where I'm coming from. shit, I've had this tweet up because I was just looking for an excuse to post how pretty it was

do you think I'm saying this look ugly in the face of all these new ray tracing techniques? because I'm not and have never made such argument

I think ratchet was one of the worst examples that you could have gotten, btw. The ps4 certainly still looks very good, but the ps5 game looks like an animated film!
But even you couldn't say it looks bad. Like, if I showed a kid an N64 game (and I have) their immediate response is how weird it looks. Even PS2 games can illicite that.

because I never said they're ugly. if you're argument is that it makes old games ugly, then you're misunderstanding where I'm coming from. shit, I've had this tweet up because I was just looking for an excuse to post how pretty it was

do you think I'm saying this look ugly in the face of all these new ray tracing techniques? because I'm not and have never made such argument

Oh no, you're definitely not. I'm more getting into a more abstract navel gazey discussion into why Nintendo doesn't really need to be in a rush to get to PS5 levels. How even PS4 covers a lot of bases with help of more efficient tools.

I don't know, the more I play the game, the less impressive I find it visually. The noise in the game just seems really noticeable at times, combined with the chromatic aberration making the style look like a downgrade at points. It also has some very noticeable drawbacks when looking at far away distances, definitely have seen some pop in. It's one of the best looking Switch games for sure, but I'm finding that less impressive as towards the end of the Switch's life every Nintendo published game has looked good (except Pokemon). I think adapting the style of 3 but with the same quality of models as 4 would look more impressive.

Also I hated the streamlining comment.

True. What if Nintendo released a 4k version with an engine swap for UE5 on the Next Gen System. it would look incredible with DLSS and RTX support. Even 1440p will still be Awesome, i know Nintendo would never do that but i remember Miyamoto always thought Pikimin with 4K was always a dream.

its interesting that Yoshi and Pikimin are game that swapped in house engine from the Wii U to Switch generation. Maybe MP4 as well does why it taking long.
Metroid Prime 4 has it development rebooted in 2019, the game will still use Retro Studios own engine(RUDE, since Metroid Prime Remastered also use Rude)

It looks very good. I think the only element it's missing beyond the glaringly obvious Switch caveats is a better looking ground, but this entry made noticeable progress compared to 3

I really miss the transparency effects, and I don't think you can have cool sci-fi style without transparency. I've noticed this absence in most of the Switch-era games I've played.

But you're not saying what makes the previous one ugly. Like, yeah one is arguably better, but is it better enough to make a lot of people really turn up their noses at the previous one and really go "yeech"?

Something a straightforward remaster couldn't fix?

That flies in the face of a lot of Nintendo's current titles and their success. Tears of the Kingdom clearly is graphically "worse" than Horizon, but is the impact of that more abstract, "worseness" enough to impact Nintendo?

Like, this isn't like the previous gen where Nintendo was still operating at Wii staff sizes, and Wii scope for an era that really evolved long past that and they could no longer provide ambitious titles that still wowed and impressed even on their own merits.

I know we're getting into more of a philosophical/ideological discussion, but I felt it was fun to explore.
Except it really isn’t, unless by “graphics”, one means “Indistinguishable Imitations Of The Real World”. In one of those games, the flame of a fire arrow goes out in water, a normal arrow can be shot into the distance and picked up where it landed, NPCs change their stance and react when you throw something or swing a weapon at them, the horses are actual creatures with feelings, and the promise of an open world isn’t broken by invisible walls, which lead you down a linear path. In the other game, the flame of a fire arrow does its best impersonation of Jesus upon the water’s surface, a normal arrow disappears in the distance, the NPCs are oblivious to your actions, and there are invisible walls, but all of these are glossed over because of the photorealistic art direction - Strip that away, and it starts to feel like a super souped-up PS2/3 title. The environment you’re in looks like a trailer in real-time… except the “realism”they’re going for in their art direction isn’t really present in-game, in the world the player traverses. It’s the definition of keeping up an appearance, tbqh. So, I never saw it for Horizon because Breath (before Tears) already surpassed it graphically on multiple accounts. I don’t have my past post at hand, but I’ve said much of this elsewhere.

Developers don’t actually need more powerful hardware to achieve “great graphics”. That’s one of the biggest lies the gaming community has been sold, and I suspect that more people will have this awakening as diminishing returns continue to be a demonstrable fact. Nintendo certainly has reached that point. I would put it out there that they did so in the Wii U era, but perhaps that’s another topic.

The fact it's such a huge leap over Pikmin 3 speaks volumes. Granted that game originally was on Wii so perhaps some of the gains in 4 were baked in, so to speak. But I feel like UE 5 may be the target for a potential Pikmin 5 if Nintendo thinks their internal engine may not produce better results than UE.

Except it really isn’t, unless by “graphics”, one means “Indistinguishable Imitations Of The Real World”. In one of those games, the flame of a fire arrow goes out in water, a normal arrow can be shot into the distance and picked up where it landed, NPCs change their stance and react when you throw something or swing a weapon at them, the horses are actual creatures with feelings, and the promise of an open world isn’t broken by invisible walls, which lead you down a linear path. In the other game, the flame of a fire arrow does its best impersonation of Jesus upon the water’s surface, a normal arrow disappears in the distance, the NPCs are oblivious to your actions, and there are invisible walls, but all of these are glossed over because of the photorealistic art direction - Strip that away, and it starts to feel like a super souped-up PS2/3 title. The environment you’re in looks like a trailer in real-time… except the “realism”they’re going for in their art direction isn’t really present in-game, in the world the player traverses. It’s the definition of keeping up an appearance, tbqh. So, I never saw it for Horizon because Breath (before Tears) already surpassed it graphically on multiple accounts. I don’t have my past post at hand, but I’ve said much of this elsewhere.

Developers don’t actually need more powerful hardware to achieve “great graphics”. That’s one of the biggest lies the gaming community has been sold, and I suspect that more people will have this awakening as diminishing returns continue to be a demonstrable fact. Nintendo certainly has reached that point. I would put it out there that they did so in the Wii U era, but perhaps that’s another topic.
I don't really understand how better gameplay, physics makes BOTW graphically better than Horizon:FW despite being having far inferior image quality and fidelity of assets, lighting, draw distance etc.

I prefer the style of BOTW but technically it's not even close.

Zelda_E3_11am_SCRN013.0.jpg

32345284233_49de69c7e2_o.png

I don't really understand how better gameplay, physics makes BOTW graphically better than Horizon:FW despite being having far inferior image quality and fidelity of assets, lighting, draw distance etc.

only MY definition of graphics is valid smh

imagine a Legend of Zelda with a art style similar to Hi-Fi Rush or a Luigi Mansion that is equal in visual to Ratchet e Clank PS4

I think both of your points are valid.

It really is a great looking game and one of the very best examples of UE4 on Switch.
And far out is it nice to see a Nintendo game with anti-aliasing!

As cool as it is to see what Nintendo can do with Unreal, the nerd in me hopes they don't ditch their in-house engine(s) as in this age of nearly everything being Unreal, it's kinda cool to see what can be done with proprietary tech.

Anti-aliasing is huge for cartoon like art styles, jaggies are particularly out of place with smoother or rounder designs. So I am very happy to AA coming to nintendo games, hopefully this trend continues.

The Lay person will find the jump from PSX to PS2 easily but I doubt they will do the same between PS4 and PS5...

It really is a great looking game and one of the very best examples of UE4 on Switch.
And far out is it nice to see a Nintendo game with anti-aliasing!

As cool as it is to see what Nintendo can do with Unreal, the nerd in me hopes they don't ditch their in-house engine(s) as in this age of nearly everything being Unreal, it's kinda cool to see what can be done with proprietary tech.
Unless Nintendo’s internal engine(s) become a complete mess both for developers & engineers I doubt they will completely move over to middleware engines.

Back
Top Bottom