• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Digital Foundry || DF Retro EX: Nintendo Switch Sports Review - Is The Wii Sports Magic Back?

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight

Nintendo Switch Sports sees the Mario makers attempt to rekindle the old Wii Sports magic for the latest generation - but does it pay off? John Linneman revisits the entire 'Sports' saga and puts the new game into context, while delivering all of the DF info you need about the new game. Also: can a game so reliant on motion controls work on the Switch Lite? Find out in this video.
  • Wii Sports rand at 480p/60fps
  • Wii Sports Tennis used clever tricks to bypass the inaccuracies of the wii remote
  • whereas Wii Sports Resort Table Tennis was more a realization of the concept with proper 3D tracking of the wii remote
  • Wii Sports Resort had some visual improvements over Wii Sports
  • Wii Sports Club had a washed out colors and lots of aliasing
  • Nintendo Switch Sports is made with separate joycons in mind
  • multiplayer seems like it might not run in handheld spec
  • potential interference with joycons if you have a lot of electronics in the room
  • bowling seems to be lacking nuanced than Wii Sports
  • NSS is 900p with DRS, 576p to 720p in handheld
  • locked 60fps even in split screen, menus might drop frames though
  • sports mates lack the customization of miis
  • Wii Sports had fast loading times (3 secs), Switch Sports has a much longer loading (7 secs)
  • single player isn't as expansive as Wii Sports Resort

Last edited:
  • sports mates lack the customization of miis
  • single player isn't as expansive as Wii Sports Resort
people have really overlooked these points. the online play is great, the sports themselves are pretty good across the board, but there are significant downgrades from previous games

Is it the video or the OG Wii Sports had that much massive input lag?

No mention of fsr?
I wondered about this as well when I was playing the game. IIRC that story was mostly based around speculation and, to be honest, the game has some pretty chunky edges I imagine a more thorough upscaler would address so I feel like it’s probably not being used.

Surprised that they don't report about the 30FPS in 3/4 player splitscreen. Disappointing that DF would miss something as obvious as that,

Speaking of which, pretty poor technical performance all around here. ARMS was a launch title of similar scope and not only looks far better, but runs in a higher resolution to boot. Shocking that Nintendo couldn't manage 1080p/60FPS docked here; and the lack of 60 FPS in 3/4 player splitscreen is really emblematic of how local multiplayer was really treated as a complete afterthought here (and that is really shocking considering that this is supposed to be a sequel to the Wii Sports series; a series renowned for its local multiplayer).

Is Sportsmates having less customizability than Miis really a drawback of the game if Miis are also entirely available

Is Sportsmates having less customizability than Miis really a drawback of the game if Miis are also entirely available
It is when the Miis can't use any of the accessories that you unlock outside of clothes (making around 70% of the game's unlockable items completely useless for anyone who prefers to use Miis).

It is when the Miis can't use any of the accessories that you unlock outside of clothes (making around 70% of the game's unlocks completely useless for anyone who prefers to use Miis).
Good point!

I wondered about this as well when I was playing the game. IIRC that story was mostly based around speculation and, to be honest, the game has some pretty chunky edges I imagine a more thorough upscaler would address so I feel like it’s probably not being used.
It's not speculation. The game has FSR listed on its license page. The question is if it's actually in use, which this video didn't really touch on at all.

Surprised that they don't report about the 30FPS in 3/4 player splitscreen. Disappointing that DF would miss something as obvious as that,

Speaking of which, pretty poor technical performance all around here. ARMS was a launch title of similar scope and not only looks far better, but runs in a higher resolution to boot. Shocking that Nintendo couldn't manage 1080p/60FPS docked here; and the lack of 60 FPS in 3/4 player splitscreen is really emblematic of how local multiplayer was really treated as a complete afterthought here (and that is really shocking considering that this is supposed to be a sequel to the Wii Sports series; a series renowned for its local multiplayer).
Most likely had a way smaller team than Arms. Also you know different devs, MK team vs ???.
Btw could anyone tell us what's the team behind this game?

I don't know if it's so much "rushed" but them not giving the game these games deserve. it's been a running trend of their sports games for the last several years now, from the Camelot games to, seemingly, Mario Strikers, and now Switch Sports
What makes you say that about Strikers?

Back
Top Bottom