• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Digimon Survive |ST| - DigiSee? DigiHear? DigiKnow? It's (Finally) Time To DigiSurvive!

Reviews are in

aus89

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
195250191446375.png

Release Date: July 28th, 2022 (Japan), July 29th, 2022 (Worldwide)
Developer: Hyde
Publisher: Bandai Namco
Platforms: NSW, PS4, PC (Steam), Xbox One
Price: $59.99/£49.99 RRP (Regional & Physical pricing may vary)

digimon-survive-new-header-mobile.jpg

Digimon Survive is a visual novel with elements of tactical battles where you follow
and guide Takuma and Agumon through a perilous journey in the digital world.

pEdQNm5.png

Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the Digimon Anime, Digimon Survive presents a brand-new adventure
set in a mysterious world with characters designed by Uichi Ukumo, and music by Tomoki Miyoshi.

Digimon Survive sees a brand-new group of teenagers, led by Takuma Momozuka, get lost on a school camping trip,
finding them transported to a strange new world of monsters and danger.

As they fight their way back home through an animated world of difficult decisions and deadly battles,
players’ choices throughout the game will impact the evolution of their monster allies, and the final ending.
Battles in the game are fought in 2D, in a more classic SRPG style.

SfUofNP.png

In Digimon Survive, Takuma will be faced with many decisions and it will be up to you as the player to make them.

These decisions could be as simple as what you decide to do in the morning or a choice of fight or flight
in a dire situation. Several of these decisions you make will affect your Karma score.

While every choice is valid, your Karma score will directly affect certain aspects of the game.
Your highest Karma score will also affect the growth of Takuma’s Digimon, Agumon.

CcEQ1OM.png

There are three types of Karma: Moral, Harmony, and Wrathful.
Each score is represented by a color, and will always be in the same position when you’re prompted.

Moral choices increase affinity with Digimon of the Vaccine attribute.
Harmony choices meld best with the Data attribute.
Wrathful choices will attract the Virus attribute.

Oac7zj3.png

Along your adventure, you’ll have several opportunities to recruit other Digimon.

In Free Battle mode, you’ll have a chance to “talk” to other Digimon,
like Biyomon, to have a chance at recruiting them in your party.

You’ll be quizzed on a few questions that relate to their personality.
If successful, you can either try to recruit them or request an item.
Having a high Karma score to their corresponding attribute will increase your chances at recruitment.

52232088154_0cab5b77ff_k.jpg

rf4nduC.png

The attribute of Digimon also plays a significant role in combat.

207154406963375.jpg

Digimon Survive employs a rock-paper-scissors combat mechanic where Vaccine > Virus > Data > Vaccine.
Keep in mind that these will not be direct counters but a rule of thumb when determining efficacy of attacks.

G9g6Qh4.png

Additionally, Takuma’s highest Karma score will dictate the Digivolution path that Agumon can unlock.
For example, if Takuma’s score in Harmony is highest, Agumon will unlock its Data branch of Digivolutions.

52231814986_4537c503b7_k.jpg

With all these decisions being recorded and measured, there is no wrong or right answer to these choices.

Like life, you’ll simply need to make your decisions based on your own personal compass
and find your own unique stories and endings.

207154405569750.jpg

EOdztfu.png

Unfold a dark tale about friendship and survival that is jam-packed with exciting drama,
a unique cast of characters, and potentially grim choices.

206848042661625.jpg

• Explore otherworldly areas filled with hidden secrets and Digimon to recruit.
  • Your choices affect gameplay: bond with NPCs, your Digimon's evolution, and the outcome of your adventure.
  • Persuade your opponents to join your team and evolve them to fight alongside you.
  • Gorgeous Anime Visuals.
  • Tactical RPG Combat with over 100 Digimon

KHBJfxJ.png

Launch Trailer

Gameplay Trailer

Teaser Trailer

3 years ago... Teaser Trailer

cR6IHaI.png

Guilmon & HP Support Item are available for a limited time as a free launch bonus

Note: The launch bonus is only available with digital purchase in EU/AUS regions

206930050607750.png

For the first two months after release, Bandai Namco have requested no spoilers beyond Chapter 5 to keep the
twists and turns of the story a surprise for players. If you do post, they request you clearly mark spoilers.

FYsDNcqXgAAfxPK

TAM1ffG.png

Metacritic_M.png
https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/digimon-survive

strong-man.png

PlayStation Universe 9 / 10
We Got This Covered 3.5 / 5
PlayStation LifeStyle 7 / 10
Atomix 78 / 100
Nintendo Life 8 / 10
TechRaptor 8.5 / 10
INVEN 7.8 / 10
Dexerto. 8 / 10

Last edited:
Reserved for further info/Reviews etc...
Up a little early to fit in with work schedule

Hard to believe it's almost here after all this time. Excited for it, XB3, and Live A Live to devour all of my free time!

I'm excited for it, but given past price performance for Digimon games, I look forward to picking it up for $20 during the holidays.

Looking forward to seeing impressions. Would've taken a chance day 1 if it didn't release the same day as Xenoblade.

Waiting for impressions but so far I like what I’ve seen. Definitely excited.

I dont know how true it is, but I heard Bandai did not send early copies for review. They might send them on Friday so at the very least next week we will get reviews. My brother is getting it so Ill get his impresion.

P.S Amazon ran out of Switch copies lol. So even if I wanted to play I still have to wait since I like physical copies.

I'm very, very intrigued by this game, but I have no idea whether to anticipate a gem that will fly under the radar or something that was in development hell for good reason

I'll just have to stick with Xenoblade for now and wait for impressions

Pretty weird they're not sending review copies before release. Hope that doesn't mean the game is going to be terrible.
They also didn't open pre-orders, Bandai Namco is horrible at marketing anything that isn't from BNS, FromSoft or Dragon Ball titles/CC2 arena fighters

I'm so hyped for this game but thanks to Amazon my copy won't arrive till the 2nd...
I'm thinking about canceling my preorder and buy the game digitally tomorrow, but since I didn't like Cyber Sleuth I have fear that I won't like this game either (even if this seems way more my cup of tea. And there is also my FAVORITE DIGIMON: Kunemon❤️)
I have a lot of games in the backlog so it's not that big of a deal but... this kinda sucks tbh

At the end I decided to cancel my Amazon preorder (also because a friend of mine had his preorder canceled by Amazon so I didn't want to wait and then not obtain the game lol)
I'm downloading it rn! It's already available on the European eshop

It is only the morning of the 29th in Japan/Australia right now, it is still the 28th in the US
Ups yeah you are right, somehow I forgot this actually released on the 29th, for some reason I though it was on the 28th

I understand it releases on the 29th but every other game that releases tomorrow is on the eshop "Coming Soon" section

Watching NVC podcast today, they said that the IGN reviewer for this game has not received the code (and they recorded today).

P.S: It seems the PC version freezes at the beginning.

Uh amazon US is showing the Switch version as unavailable. Is it really sold out or did it not go on pre-order yet?

Its a bit baffling (maybe not) that, probably the system is gonna sell the most, has the least physical copies. Unless they shipped the same amount across platforms.

it seems that not only there won't be any day-one review, but maybe not even day-one review code
my (small, of course...) site for example will know if a code is avaibale only early next week, because ur subsidiary of Bandai-Namco doesn't have code yet today, day of release

Its a bit baffling (maybe not) that, probably the system is gonna sell the most, has the least physical copies. Unless they shipped the same amount across platforms.
Bandai Namco is awful when it comes to physical Switch releases outside of Japan, is even worse in Europe.

So how does the game run on Switch? I’ve heard “not great, not terrible” but I’m not sure exactly what that means.

It's surprisingly bad for a game that looks as technically simple as this.

Wait, it drops all the way down to 17fps during combat? That seems… awful, but then again I don’t know how much that matters with the combat being turn based. Shame it’s not well optimized, though. Think I’m just going to wait on it for the time being. Maybe it’ll get patched eventually.

Wait, it drops all the way down to 17fps during combat? That seems… awful, but then again I don’t know how much that matters with the combat being turn based. Shame it’s not well optimized, though. Think I’m just going to wait on it for the time being. Maybe it’ll get patched eventually.
Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do as well. If it doesn't change dramatically (or if there aren't any improvements) I might just get it on a different platform eventually.

It's surprisingly bad for a game that looks as technically simple as this.

This shit just pisses me off. NOTHING about this game is fucking taxing. Shit like this is just taking advantage of Switch owners simply because publishers think that we'll accept and gobble up anything. I'm so tired of this man. Stuff like this just creates false narratives about the Switch.

Edit: And don't get me wrong, there are games that are simply too taxing for this system and you can tell simply by looking at and I totally understand some(possibly many) of the sacrifices that has to be made to port certain games(should they choose to so in the future or if it's possible at all), so I understand. However, this obviously does not fall into this category.

Edit 2: And don't worry people, I'm not blaming the devs or making a lazy devs rhetoric, I'm blasting the publisher for not letting the devs take the time to polish said game and taking advantage of Switch owners like myself.😔

Last edited:
The game is awful in all platforms not only Switch, it crashes on PC. There is a reason why Bamco didn’t give out review codes for any platform.

Are there any first impressions from people that are playing this on a Ps4/5, Xbox One, or Xbox Series X/S? Mostly talking about the state of the game, not the quality of the game itself.

I’m playing the game and I’m liking it (currently at part 2) but tbh I think there are a lot of negative points so far.
1. There aren’t CGs… like, why? I think that a lot of scenes would have been better with a CG tbh.
2. There are scenes with no voice acting. And that would be okay but some of them are really important tbh.
3. The translation (in Italian) is not so well done… a lot of phrases seem to have been translated without the context in mind. How is the english one? Because I’m thinking about switching to that.
4. The choices are SO obvious lmao. Like if you stay still on one of them, it will change color to show which stat it will raise.
5. The battle are really easy even in hard.

Are there any first impressions from people that are playing this on a Ps4/5, Xbox One, or Xbox Series X/S? Mostly talking about the state of the game, not the quality of the game itself.
Still waiting on my physical PS4 copy (playing on PS5) but will give a vague idea when i get a chance

This was $40 on sale at Walmart so I picked it up.

This was previously one of my most anticipated games, but it came out in such a crowded time for me.

Still crowded lol, I probably won't play this until 2023.

Back
Top Bottom