• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Developers and Analysts Sound Off: Does the Next-Gen Nintendo Switch Need to Happen in 2024?

Don’t really think that matters in the grand scheme of things. Even if Nintendo was prepared for HD dev the WiiU was a conceptually awful product made with literally no one in mind.
It absolutely matters, they have admitted on multiple occasions that the reason the Wii U's lineup suffered as it did (both in terms of release cadence, and also in terms of the kinds of games released) was because Nintendo had not accounted for how difficult HD development would be, and that, on top of 3DS development finally bringing handheld development to a more resource intensive place as well, broke the camel's back.

Without those problems, it would still be a bad product, but it would be a bad product with some great games released at a more steady pace that would have salvaged it at least to Gamecube levels if nothing more.

It absolutely matters, they have admitted on multiple occasions that the reason the Wii U's lineup suffered as it did (both in terms of release cadence, and also in terms of the kinds of games released) was because Nintendo had not accounted for how difficult HD development would be, and that, on top of 3DS development finally bringing handheld development to a more resource intensive place as well, broke the camel's back.

Without those problems, it would still be a bad product, but it would be a bad product with some great games released at a more steady pace that would have salvaged it at least to Gamecube levels if nothing more.
If your admitting the product would still be bad even with fixing this one problem than not being prepared for HD dev doesn’t frankly matter to an overall discussion about why the device utterly failed. Not being prepared was a cherry on top of multiple other cherries dealt from an already atrocious hand. This device was poison from conceptual standpoint that selling a couple million more does little to nothing for Nintendo nor does it really change how that gen likely plays out.

If your admitting the product would still be bad even with fixing this one problem than not being prepared for HD dev doesn’t frankly matter to an overall discussion about why the device utterly failed. Not being prepared was a cherry on top of multiple other cherries dealt from an already atrocious hand. This device was poison from conceptual standpoint that selling a couple million more does little to nothing for Nintendo nor does it really change how that gen likely plays out.
It's an important point to consider in context of the current discussion though. Nintendo has since consolidated their development pipeline, and are better prepared for the development pipelines used in the rest of the industry. The Switch 2 transition will never be like the Wii U transition simply because of how the logistics play out. The HD transition therefore is an integral part of the discussion when comparing to the Wii U (and again, in the original post, the point being made was that Nintendo would not go into the next generation underprepared like they have before, where again the HD transition point is a valid one to bring).

It's an important point to consider in context of the current discussion though. Nintendo has since consolidated their development pipeline, and are better prepared for the development pipelines used in the rest of the industry. The Switch 2 transition will never be like the Wii U transition simply because of how the logistics play out. The HD transition therefore is an integral part of the discussion when comparing to the Wii U (and again, in the original post, the point being made was that Nintendo would not go into the next generation underprepared like they have before, where again the HD transition point is a valid one to bring).
No it really isn’t that important to consider even within the current discussion. If would be more relevant if WiiU was a somewhat successful console where they missed out on sales due to being slow on HD dev. This would imply that they cleared the hurdle of making an attractive device in the first place. I mean Redacted won’t ever be like WiiU because Nintendo would literally have to go completely out of their way to make a DOA product. The HD transition may be more relevant to missed sales opportunities but I’m not really seeing anything relevant when we are comparing it to WiiU.

also Nintendo didnt expected HD TV would become popular by the time Wii U would launch, they trough HD TV would take longer to be popular

I feel like one thing people forget ALOT about both the Wii U and 3ds launches is that they had really bad timing with real world events. They were both being developed when the massive earthquake and tsunami hit Japan. That affected Nintendo’s pipeline quite a bit in their own worlds.
Yeah that to, but its the least of the problems... PS5 had the GLOBAL Covid Pandemic, and still worked out great for them. Its not just the pipeline, the WII U was a desaster on all fronts:
the tech was chosen badly with them trying to stick to Wii, the tabled was made during a time when mobile development was making huge jumps every year, making it feel low end by the time it was out, and a console that is out for years cant keep up with new developments. Kinda has the "DS -> DS Lite" feel, where advancements in production where taken into account to make a waaay more atractive product. They never had that with consoles.

Are we far along enough to finally accept that there was a “fad” component to the Wii’s success, and the switch just, isn’t a fad. We were in a really different time. The Switch is an actually compelling product that just fits into how a huge portion of people play games.
Oh, for sure, that was the "casual" crowd that mostly had 2-4 games for the console.
By the time, they lost interest in buying more games, a new console was even less interesting to them.

also Nintendo didnt expected HD TV would become popular by the time Wii U would launch, they trough HD TV would take longer to be popular
...you are talking about Wii, right? by the time Wii U was out, HDTV was the default, and 4K was already on the horizon...
HD came into play during the Wiis time, and people where complaining how bad the wii looked on HD TVs. The Wii U WAS HD.
yeah, that.

I think many people here need to stay objective. Cause why would Nintendo rush out a new console when the switch is still going strong and gets support from Nintendo with first party titles? Nintendo also doesn't really care about Microsoft or Sony, they just do their own thing and that's the way it's been since Wii came out.

There wasn't even a price drop with the switch and the games are still full price. It's also completely different from the Wii back then cause the Wii's popularity and sales declined very much after 2010 and Nintendo was also kinda forced because of the hardware.

The games on switch are looking totally fine, TOK and Pikmin 4 are looking fantastic and if Nintendo gives us more of that, I don't see them releasing a new console next year.

Also I want Metroid prime 4 and DK to be the last big titles for switch next year then they can do whatever they want

I think many people here need to stay objective. Cause why would Nintendo rush out a new console when the switch is still going strong and gets support from Nintendo with first party titles? Nintendo also doesn't really care about Microsoft or Sony, they just do their own thing and that's the way it's been since Wii came out.

There wasn't even a price drop with the switch and the games are still full price. It's also completely different from the Wii back then cause the Wii's popularity and sales declined very much after 2010 and Nintendo was also kinda forced because of the hardware.

The games on switch are looking totally fine, TOK and Pikmin 4 are looking fantastic and if Nintendo gives us more of that, I don't see them releasing a new console next year.

Also I want Metroid prime 4 and DK to be the last big titles for switch next year then they can do whatever they want
The last thing I was expecting to read here today, July 31th, especially with the recent VGC report is "rush out a new console" when we're just reasonable talking about... I mean... A release earler than H2 2024 and a reveal earlier than summer 2024, so not having to wait for a whole year only for a proper reveal... 😞

7 years is enough for a successor to Switch to be launched, unless Nintendo want to repeat the same mistakes they did with Wii to Wii U.

You're not the only one to say this, but I don't understand why releasing a new console over seven years after the release of the previous one is "rushing"? That's longer than pretty much every Nintendo console sans the Game Boy, and that console had the fortune of an unnatural second wind courtesy of Pokémon and having no meaningful competition in its market sector.

7 years is enough for a successor to Switch to be launched, unless Nintendo want to repeat the same mistakes they did with Wii to Wii U.
The Problem with the transition from wii to wiiu was that no one knew this was a new console, it was so funny when they showed the wiiu at e3 cause it just seemed like a upgrade for the wii. They only showed the new controller not even the console itself. Everyone was just confused. Also they only had third party ports for the launch which wasn't convincing either. The marketing was a big mess.

You're not the only one to say this, but I don't understand why releasing a new console over seven years after the release of the previous one is "rushing"? That's longer than pretty much every Nintendo console sans the Game Boy, and that console had the fortune of an unnatural second wind courtesy of Pokémon and having no meaningful competition in its market sector.
I'm just saying that from an economic point of view it doesn't make any sense to release a new console when the other one is still successful, I mean why kill the other system for another system that might not be that successful? They will probably wait until the switch is really not selling anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I'd also love a new console but as I mentioned earlier, Nintendo is doing their own thing with their own pacing and they haven't been really participating in the "console wars" since Wii.

Only time will tell , maybe I'm completely wrong, I don't know.

I'm just saying that from an economic point of view it doesn't make any sense to release a new console when the other one is still successful, I mean why kill the other system for another system that might not be that successful? They will probably wait until the switch is really not selling anymore.
That is, uh, not true at all. Actually, consoles that release when the prior system stops selling historically have usually had bad launches and bad momentum.

I think Nintendo's biggest weakness is their marketing. No one understood that the WiiU was a new console, they literally only talked about the controller and everyone thought it was a upgrade for the wii. The Nintendo 3ds had massive problems at launch because there were not any game utilizing the new mechanics and no big first party games.

With the switch they did everything right, Zelda was a huge and very excellent launch title and the marketing was also so much better, when they showed the first look trailer for the switch, everyone thought that this was really cool and that Nintendo had grown up (they always had that kiddie image).

Sony with the original playstation and it's successor had big marketing campaigns and were able to show everyone why their console was better and "cooler" than Nintendo's

I think Nintendo's biggest weakness is their marketing. No one understood that the WiiU was a new console, they literally only talked about the controller and everyone thought it was a upgrade for the wii. The Nintendo 3ds had massive problems at launch because there were not any game utilizing the new mechanics and no big first party games.

With the switch they did everything right, Zelda was a huge and very excellent launch title and the marketing was also so much better, when they showed the first look trailer for the switch, everyone thought that this was really cool and that Nintendo had grown up (they always had that kiddie image).

Sony with the original playstation and it's successor had big marketing campaigns and were able to show everyone why their console was better and "cooler" than Nintendo's
Sony also has the presence of mind to make the improvements be easily communicable to the uninformed with their simple naming. "PS2"'s relation to PS1 and PS3 is easily understood just by the name. You don't even have to know what these names are referring to, just those three characters for each name instantly tells you that PS2 is an improvement on PS1, PS3 is an improvement on 1 and 2, and so on. It's simple and straightforward, and this is what Nintendo needs to do. Swallow you fucking pride and use numbers. No more being cute with the branding. Switch 2. Simple.

They don't even have the Xbox excuse for not using numbers.

WiiU was a poison pill that no one wanted because it was so divorced from what the market wanted that only a complete formula redo would have fixed it.

3DS in contrast was an overpriced device for a gimmick people largely moved on from. They eventually recovered this one.

Nintendo’s marketing is fine when they have a product people actually like. See their entire handheld line, the Wii, & Switch. Nintendo’s problems lay in making bad products aimed at no one; for which marketing just kinda has to deal with whatever hand they are dealt with.

Sony also has the presence of mind to make the improvements be easily communicable to the uninformed with their simple naming. "PS2"'s relation to PS1 and PS3 is easily understood just by the name. You don't even have to know what these names are referring to, just those three characters for each name instantly tells you that PS2 is an improvement on PS1, PS3 is an improvement on 1 and 2, and so on. It's simple and straightforward, and this is what Nintendo needs to do. Swallow you fucking pride and use numbers. No more being cute with the branding. Switch 2. Simple.

They don't even have the Xbox excuse for not using numbers.
If they really make a genuine successor to the switch, I think something simple like switch 2 would really be the best.
But we don't know what "innovations" Nintendo has this time....

You're still using an astronomically unique Covid data point to make that comparison though. That's the problem. I'm not saying a new Switch absolutely shouldn't come, but I think all the talk of momentum is exhausting when Switch is still doing this well.

I also just don't really get the momentum point... Like genuinely who is buying Nintendo consoles and deciding NOT to buy them on the basis of Nintendo having a less successful year.
It's not that "momentum" is a reason people won't buy. It's that fewer people are buying, and that is being referred to as a change in momentum.

I don't accept the 28m year as an astronomically unique COVID thing, either. DS had three years better than 27m without a pandemic, Wii had a 26m year, and a proper followup to Switch can get there again. The longer they take to release the new thing, the longer that doesn't happen.

Back
Top Bottom