• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Details/Plot of Super Mario Bros. Movie has leaked via Jeff Grubb (SPOILERS)

I dig it! My fears were that it was going to either:

A. Be like the Sonic movie. Only saw the first one but it was just so mediocre in every way in that it could have starred any mascot else beside Sonic and it would still be the same.

B. They would try to make it slightly edgy to appeal to adults and teens and throw in gross out humor or adult innuendos or BOTH.

C. Try to re-invent the wheel too much. Save anything elaborate for a sequel.

I dig this leak of true. I want a Mario movie like I like my games. Whimsical. A little weird. But a little weird in the good way AKA the Marioverse and it’s world design is what I define the right kind of weird. Never off putting.

Also, count me in being glad Marinet is not voicing Mario. I love his work, but Mario was always a silent protagonist and his Italian accent quips worked well enough for a second here and there. Would not stand a whole movie spoken like that.

Now, if they ever feature Wario, then Marinet would be perfect because he absolutely nails Wario and WarioWare has proven he can carry his voice and never be grating in full dialogue.

Also, I like some of Illumination’s movies. Yeah they hear more towards kids than other studios which gear towards everyone equally, but so what? Nothing wrong with that.
I think anything but A was probably not the answer since Miyamoto is working on this too. I didn’t expect something like B to happen, especially with his distancing from the live action film. C could’ve been a possibility but again with Miyamoto he was probably gonna play it straight.

Also I’m not sure why people thought it was gonna be live action or an isekai. We got that with the ‘93 film.

I don't know what i was expecting......but i'm not feeling it fam.

Even just skimming I think I’ll have to see and hear it from a video before making any form of judgement. Reporting it and then seeing written words don’t really do it justice. Same way Mario+Rabbids sounded worse from the leaks then it actually looked when revealed.

Calling it a musical is a bit stretched. It can be like Disney animated movies where there is 1 or 2 song moments. Hey, even Shrek movies have their musical moments, its a staple of most animated movies.

But the rest sound cool, I mean we are getting Mario fighting Donkey Kong and Bowser, their 2 greatest archenemies (its like getting a film about Spiderman fighting Doc Ock and Green Goblin, well that happened a few months ago…). Probably Miyamoto and his crew got a little strict and we aren’t getting any really new characters or locations, they all based on past mario games (from what I read, heavily influenced by nes/snes titles, the ones miyamoto work directly…). We are even getting a Kamek vs Yoshi, that wouldn’t surprise me they have in planification a Yoshi’s Island movie to tell the origin of their rivalry.

Oh no, not a musical. I hate musical movies. I already avoid Disney movies like a plague and Nintendo does that........................................Why, just why.

Finally Pratt gets to flex his singing chops again.

Oh, the pipe
I fell in it, the pipe
You fell in it, the pipe
We all fell in it, the pipe

I love musicals.

I’m excited if it’s lots of songs.

And let it be Nintendo composing the music, please 🤗
Right? When has Nintendo ever let us down in regards to a soundtrack, c’mon folks!

Please don’t send me a link to Yoshi’s New Island music lmao

Hey speaking of music, do we have confirmation of a composer yet? 👀

Not sure why Grubb needs to be credited for this when the rumor has been out there for awhile now; i’m more surprised it hadn’t been talked about here already if anything.

The main part really giving me pause is the idea that whoever wrote this can name drop Banzai Bill but fails to identify Fuzzy; feels weird. Otherwise, sure, this’d probably turn out better than what I expect; a musical could be fun if the music is good.

They need to make a Donkey Kong musical after and get whoever the fuck made the music for that CG Donkey Kong Country show

donkey-kong-gaming.gif

Not sure why Grubb needs to be credited for this when the rumor has been out there for awhile now; i’m more surprised it hadn’t been talked about here already if anything.

The main part really giving me pause is the idea that whoever wrote this can name drop Banzai Bill but fails to identify Fuzzy; feels weird. Otherwise, sure, this’d probably turn out better than what I expect; a musical could be fun if the music is good.
Lol, I failed to identify Fuzzy as well. What if I'm the leaker, hmm? ;)

Here are my thoughts:
  • Sounds watchable, at least
  • Dry Bowser feels like a third movie villain. What about Wart? King Boo? King Bob Omb? Wario?
Actually, those are all my thoughts. I made the list thinking more would trickle out, but then I blanked and got tired.

This seems like a "greatest hit" of Mario's iconic moments - early games with Mario battling Donkey Kong or working as part of the Wrecking Crew or cleaning pipes, Mario meeting Bowser and Peach, Kamek vs. Yoshi, with cameos of some iconic characters like Captain Toad, Toadsworth, Cranky Kong.

And... It really "fits" with Miyamoto getting the idea of making a Mario movie from the Virtual Console, of all things. The movie will be a way to relive these classic moments.

Yeah, this leak isn't new, but it's very interesting to see. I think them playing it straight and earnest is a good call, and the musical elements have potential to be good. I also like all the nods to different points in the series, which is a big treat for someone like me.

Of course, it all comes down to execution in the end.

Wow... This is going to suck in non-english speaking and non-japanese speaking territories

Last edited:
@the_marmolade forgive me, my brain is slow today... Is Jack Black being Bowser and the fact that he gets a song the reason that you posted a gif of The D in the OP? 😅

TLDW from r/GamingLeaksAndRumours:
The movie is a musical, there's a song about plumbing. Mario and later Luigi use a pipe to go to the Mushroom kingdom and defeat Bowser. Kamek and Yoshi have some sort of beef and fight. The movie ends with Bowser being tricked into piping to his own lava pool and burning alive. Mario and Luigi decide to stay in the Mushroom Kingdom and build their own Plumbing business. Post credit scene is Dry Bowser.

Jack-Black-Rocking-In-Tenacious-D.-The-Pick-Of-Destiny-Gif.gif

It's not a musical, it's like a disney movie.

Lol, I failed to identify Fuzzy as well. What if I'm the leaker, hmm? ;)
Then maybe you should play more Mario games, starting with Super Mario World ™️ for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, playable via a Nintendo Switch Online:tm: membership. Spoilers though; that’s also the game Banzai Bill is introduced in; hence why being able to name one and not the other is bizarre!

Apparently getting people to play those older tiles is what Miyamoto wants this movie to do going by the above interview, just helping him out a little 😎

It's not a musical, it's like a disney movie.
Like a Disney movie?

So a musical then. We can ignore the semantic differences in format.

Then maybe you should play more Mario games, starting with Super Mario World ™️ for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, playable via a Nintendo Switch Online:tm: membership. Spoilers though; that’s also the game Banzai Bill is introduced in; hence why being able to name one and not the other is bizarre!

Apparently getting people to play those older tiles is what Miyamoto wants this movie to do going by the above interview, just helping him out a little 😎

Like a Disney movie?

So a musical then. We can ignore the semantic differences in format.
Edit: wrong example.

Musical is where almost everything is done with a song. Disney movie have a song here and there. Not a semantic difference, i think

Last edited:
Edit: wrong example.

Musical is where almost everything is done with a song. Disney movie have a song here and there. Not a semantic difference, i think
The obvious differences they have from musical theater make them more of a sub-genre, but they're still classified as musicals; hence why I consider it more a semantic thing in this case.

Musical? If this doesn't include Mario dancing with Big Bertha to the Divinyls and Charles & Eddie I'll consider it a travesty and a flop.

Calling it a musical is a bit stretched. It can be like Disney animated movies where there is 1 or 2 song moments. Hey, even Shrek movies have their musical moments, its a staple of most animated movies.
Yeah, 3 songs does not a musical make.

To me anyway. But I mean, I don't think of Disney movies as musicals, just movies with songs. It is semantic and arbitrary, but even though they've been promoted as having hit songs, they were never marketed as "musicals" per say. I could be in the minority though.

As far as I understand it (from friends who are colossal theatre nerds who have performed in and directed shows), a "musical" is where the characters don't "know" that they're singing. So like, Bohemian Rhapsody is not a musical because they were singing in the world of the story while writing and recording songs, but Beauty and the Beast is a musical because characters will be singing out around in town, the townsfolk will join in, and afterwards everything will continue like normal as though the entire square full of strangers didn't just burst into a spontaneously coordinated number. They "don't know" they were singing in the world of the movie, only the audience knows. There's also a rule about whether the song and its lyrics are either about the plot or move the plot forward.

I don't know if I explained it very well, but for those reasons I'm pretty sure most Disney movies are musicals. And if the Mario movie has characters spontaneously bursting into songs about what they're doing in the plot, I think that counts.

As far as I understand it (from friends who are colossal theatre nerds who have performed in and directed shows), a "musical" is where the characters don't "know" that they're singing. So like, Bohemian Rhapsody is not a musical because they were singing in the world of the story while writing and recording songs, but Beauty and the Beast is a musical because characters will be singing out around in town, the townsfolk will join in, and afterwards everything will continue like normal as though the entire square full of strangers didn't just burst into a spontaneously coordinated number. They "don't know" they were singing in the world of the movie, only the audience knows. There's also a rule about whether the song and its lyrics are either about the plot or move the plot forward.

I don't know if I explained it very well, but for those reasons I'm pretty sure most Disney movies are musicals. And if the Mario movie has characters spontaneously bursting into songs about what they're doing in the plot, I think that counts.
Having theater nerd friends, you are absolutely correct. Also will add, not just moving the plot, but can also be for moving the character development forward.

Musicals have various sub genres, which many animated films fall under.

Lego Music... not a musical but it is a good example. Everything is Awesome. The song is used to establish the world and where the story is starting, and its a banger, but it is really used once. Does not carry the plot forward. It is a set piece.

The scope of the singing also determines whether it’s a musical, operetta or full opera

My biggest takeaway from this movie is that I foresee - no matter how good or how bad it is - many 30 - 40 year olds on Twitter shocked that it turned out to be a kids movie :p

Rocketman: musical (good)
Bohemian Rhapsody: not a musical (bad)

Actually in a musical dialog takes lead in plot significance. If the songs carry most of the plot then it’s an operetta. If it’s all sung it’s an opera

Back
Top Bottom