• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Details/Plot of Super Mario Bros. Movie has leaked via Jeff Grubb (SPOILERS)

the_marmolade

Quality Assurance Tester in Video Game Industry
Pronouns
He/Him

TLDW from r/GamingLeaksAndRumours:
The movie is a musical, there's a song about plumbing. Mario and later Luigi use a pipe to go to the Mushroom kingdom and defeat Bowser. Kamek and Yoshi have some sort of beef and fight. The movie ends with Bowser being tricked into piping to his own lava pool and burning alive. Mario and Luigi decide to stay in the Mushroom Kingdom and build their own Plumbing business. Post credit scene is Dry Bowser.

Jack-Black-Rocking-In-Tenacious-D.-The-Pick-Of-Destiny-Gif.gif

Yeah this has been reported by multiple people, apparently Toadsworth shows up at one point which is kinda shocking considering his status in the games these days lol
you got a link for the reports by multiple people?

More Details!
Oh that synopsis left out a lot, more details from the video…

• Mario + Luigi have re-designs at the start (color swaps)
  • No fart jokes
  • DJ Junior
  • Daisy is Name Dropped
  • Opens with narration from Charles M - reflects on wrecking crew
  • First there’s a fight between Mario and DK in the real world
    • Golden Hammer to take him down
  • Jumps to present - Mario is famous, heads to the sewers, falls in a pipe to Mushroom Kingdom
  • Bowser sings, we see his younger years, kidnaps peach
  • Mario + Captain Toad vs Bowser
  • Plumbing Song
  • Luigi later goes in Sewers bc he is concerned Mario has been gone
  • Mario goes to Forbidden Forest -> Yoshi
  • Meets up with Luigi, get their iconic costumes
  • Come across 3 Bowser clones
  • Final battle as described
  • Bowser and Peach argue in the final song
  • Big fight with Kamek shows off a bunch of environments, power-ups, so on

Sounds great! Really curious about the source and validity of this leak he’s reading off of though lol

Oh that synopsis left out a lot, more details from the video…

• Mario + Luigi have re-designs at the start (color swaps)
  • No fart jokes
  • DJ Junior
  • Daisy is Name Dropped
  • Opens with narration from Charles M - reflects on wrecking crew
  • First there’s a fight between Mario and DK in the real world
    • Golden Hammer to take him down
  • Jumps to present - Mario is famous, heads to the sewers, falls in a pipe to Mushroom Kingdom
  • Bowser sings, we see his younger years, kidnaps peach
  • Mario + Captain Toad vs Bowser
  • Plumbing Song
  • Luigi later goes in Sewers bc he is concerned Mario has been gone
  • Mario goes to Forbidden Forest -> Yoshi
  • Meets up with Luigi, get their iconic costumes
  • Come across 3 Bowser clones
  • Final battle as described
  • Bowser and Peach argue in the final song
  • Big fight with Kamek shows off a bunch of environments, power-ups, so on

Sounds great! Really curious about the source and validity of this leak he’s reading off of though lol
Made a thread mark thanks

I remember seeing this leak a while back. It being a musical is something I didn't expect. lol

This sounds so much better than Chris Pratt playing a high schooler who gets sucked into his TV after leaving Mario 64 on all night (Charles Martinet cameo) which would explain the Chris Pratt doing the "normal" voice.

Just do Mario and play it straight.

This sounds so much better than Chris Pratt playing a high schooler who gets sucked into his TV after leaving Mario 64 on all night (Charles Martinet cameo) which would explain the Chris Pratt doing the "normal" voice.

Just do Mario and play it straight.
They can get a little gay with it imo

Yeah, that sounds really good if real and actually true to the spirit Mario games have - light-hearted, fun, charming with some action and serious moments sprinkled in.

If any of this turns out to be real I am here for it!!

This is Miyamoto. Yes this is right, I hope you are looking forward to this movie. I promise it will be worth the wait. Please consider watching this movie while high.

If you don't smoke weed you'd better start before next April

Doesn't sound like there's enough Donkey Kong or Cranky in this film to keep me invested. I'll wait till it streams.

Mario will be talking a lot in the movie, please look forward to Mario as perfomed by very talented Chris-san. He is so cool.

I’m starting to think some of you would have preferred 2 hours of NSMB cutscenes

EDIT: or perhaps subspace emissary grit lmao, who knows

Honestly a bit weird to me that so many folks(read: gamers) don't think Mario is perfect for a musical.

"Do the Mario" and "Jump up Superstar" are genuinely iconic, plus the Mario cast has always been gaming's closest thing(imo anyway) to the Muppets.

And you don't make a Muppets movie without musical numbers.

All the gamer angst about this project is more and more feeling like a repeat of the Mario + Rabbids leak.

Could still be terrible I guess, but this all sounds fine enough to me.

Not a fan of that description, but it's likely real. Music will have to be quite good to sway me.

Mhm

(The songs were a Nintendo idea btw. Not sure if it cane directly from Miyamoto, but the idea came from Nintendo, not Illumination)

Last edited:
I dig it! My fears were that it was going to either:

A. Be like the Sonic movie. Only saw the first one but it was just so mediocre in every way in that it could have starred any mascot else beside Sonic and it would still be the same.

B. They would try to make it slightly edgy to appeal to adults and teens and throw in gross out humor or adult innuendos or BOTH.

C. Try to re-invent the wheel too much. Save anything elaborate for a sequel.

I dig this leak of true. I want a Mario movie like I like my games. Whimsical. A little weird. But a little weird in the good way AKA the Marioverse and it’s world design is what I define the right kind of weird. Never off putting.

Also, count me in being glad Marinet is not voicing Mario. I love his work, but Mario was always a silent protagonist and his Italian accent quips worked well enough for a second here and there. Would not stand a whole movie spoken like that.

Now, if they ever feature Wario, then Marinet would be perfect because he absolutely nails Wario and WarioWare has proven he can carry his voice and never be grating in full dialogue.

Also, I like some of Illumination’s movies. Yeah they hear more towards kids than other studios which gear towards everyone equally, but so what? Nothing wrong with that.

that 4chan post with Aziz Ansari and Owen Wilson didn't sound too bad now that I think about it

this is better than expected tbh although i expect people would have called it bad regardless of what it was

As a fan of Steven Universe (and the movie) I don't really have a problem with this having musical numbers.

I will say, I don't know why Jeff says the delay is probably because Universal isn't happy with it. That isn't how anything works in Hollywood, especially an animated movie. If there were big problems/changes, the delay would have been much larger.

I’m glad my Bowser sings prediction is happening since he will definitely have the best songs.

I thought it’d be an isekai where Chris Pratt wasn’t Mario, but I’m intrigued to see them play it straight.

This sounds like exactly the type of movie that you'd want to watch while high.

It being an insult this time.

Yea yea i know its a mario film they cant do much about that but still.

Back
Top Bottom