• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Details/Plot of Super Mario Bros. Movie has leaked via Jeff Grubb (SPOILERS)

Hm, all the technical definitions are pretty interesting. But there is no way Nintendo will market this as a Mario musical. So it's just a Mario movie.

Was listening to my fave podcast, Player One, and Greg Stewart had a very valid point.

This movie is not made for us at all. Or any 20 or 30 something on Twitter. We may appreciate it and have fun with it, but it is not being made for us in mind. It is going to kids, kids, kids first and foremost because they are the new fans or future fans. They don't need our engagement or business. We are over the hill. We already like Mario. We already buy the games and figures and comic books, etc.

They are making it for little kids to enjoy even if the adults do not.

Fortunately, I am a really a kid in adult clothing, I still pick up Boo Berry cereal every year, and I like musical movies..... so bring it on!

Hm, all the technical definitions are pretty interesting. But there is no way Nintendo will market this as a Mario musical. So it's just a Mario movie.
Oh for sure, just like Disney movies are not marketed as such. There are so many types of what we generally call a musical as has been mentioned with all the various sub genres).

Was listening to my fave podcast, Player One, and Greg Stewart had a very valid point.

This movie is not made for us at all. Or any 20 or 30 something on Twitter. We may appreciate it and have fun with it, but it is not being made for us in mind. It is going to kids, kids, kids first and foremost because they are the new fans or future fans. They don't need our engagement or business. We are over the hill. We already like Mario. We already buy the games and figures and comic books, etc.

Fortunately, I am a really a kid in adult clothing, I still pick up Boo Berry cereal every year, and I like musical movies..... so bring it on!
This might be kinda weird, but.. the person I want them to make this movie for is Miyamoto. I agree it'll probably be a made-for-kids movie and take a lot of market factors into consideration and such, but I want to see the Mario movie that Miyamoto wants. Like a weird, small indie film that is soaked with the director's vision and free from the constraints of the committees and focus groups, with all the ridiculousness that might entail.

We're not getting that, but I want it.

The leaks sound pretty good. I'm also very relieved that all that Isekai speculation has been shut down, that would have been awful
I mean, technically it is an isekai, according to the leaks. Mario and Luigi falling into a pipe that takes them to a strange new land is an isekai plot.

I mean, technically it is an isekai, according to the leaks. Mario and Luigi falling into a pipe that takes them to a strange new land is an isekai plot.
Yeah true but in the “real world” he has a golden hammer and fights Donkey Kong who talks lol soooo it’s already a bit off the normal road

When I say the Isekai speculation, I'm talking about how so many people were convinced that the story was going to be about how Chris Pratt, Charlie Day, and all the other actors weren't actually voicing the Mario characters, but instead would be people in the real world and that they get sucked into a video game and they become the Mario characters in the video game. That's what I was hoping we'd avoid

I'm not super sure if I buy the leak, because stating the characters having some kind of redesign is a big red flag (considering how Super Nintendo World sticks to 100% game designs for everything and everyone); --Otherwise, I could see the movie being a musical

Not only Nintendo themselves have been exploring the idea with Odyssey, but you can see how the pieces all fit together when you remember Illumination made Sing, they casted Jack Black and Charlie Day already sang before (and uuh.. I think Chris Pratt as well in the LEGO Movie? it's hazy for me);

Coincidentally, just other day I was chatting on Twitter about the Super Mario Bros. Super Show! pitch, which in the very first page they mention the importance of music for the Super Mario/Nintendo identity.. so at very least Illumination here hypothetically is going for the right angle;

FQ-UNbUXEAU1S0p

Still don't trust them tho

When I say the Isekai speculation, I'm talking about how so many people were convinced that the story was going to be about how Chris Pratt, Charlie Day, and all the other actors weren't actually voicing the Mario characters, but instead would be people in the real world and that they get sucked into a video game and they become the Mario characters in the video game. That's what I was hoping we'd avoid
Gotcha. The Jumanji angle. I agree.

I'm cool with a kid's movie. There are lots of quality kid's/all ages animated movies out there. If the Mario movie can be that, then we're in for a treat. All execution, of course.
I'm not super sure if I buy the leak, because stating the characters having some kind of redesign is a big red flag (considering how Super Nintendo World sticks to 100% game designs for everything and everyone);
It's hard to say what "slight redesign" means without context, I suppose. Could be a alight art style shift that makes them play better towards an animated film, for all we know, and that could apply to the whole cast. It could also be done to make the film more of its own thing - Super Nintendo World is aiming to be the game's Mario, but this might not necessarily be going for that. I would imagine that the characters are solidly recognizable even with a shift in design. But I guess we won't know for sure until we see a trailer or promo poster!

Not only Nintendo themselves have been exploring the idea with Odyssey, but you can see how the pieces all fit together when you remember Illumination made Sing, they casted Jack Black and Charlie Day already sang before (and uuh.. I think Chris Pratt as well in the LEGO Movie? it's hazy for me);
Chris Pratt sang on Parks and Rec

It's hard to say what "slight redesign" means without context, I suppose. Could be a alight art style shift that makes them play better towards an animated film, for all we know, and that could apply to the whole cast. It could also be done to make the film more of its own thing - Super Nintendo World is aiming to be the game's Mario, but this might not necessarily be going for that. I would imagine that the characters are solidly recognizable even with a shift in design. But I guess we won't know for sure until we see a trailer or promo poster!
People do often mistake portrayal of characters on different art styles for actual redesigns indeed; -- Like you'll see Sonic fans debating over Sonic's shorten quills and throwing hands on their preference on particular artist take, when the character only had like.. 3 or 4 major redesigns over the years (Classic, Modern, Boom and Movie);

Guess we'll see.. but I definetly don't think they'll stray too much from the game visuals, since they most certainly will promote the movie within Super Nintendo World somehow.

Chris Pratt sang on Parks and Rec

Ah, there you go.. I remember the LEGO Movie having some musical segment, but I guess Pratt is already familiar with singing from elsewhere.

Still wish he wasn't in the movie...

As a drybones description, entirely devoid of flesh as it is, this actually sounds potentially better than I would have expected. Nothing in here, on its own, is necessarily going to be great, but the possibility is there to hang something decent on it.

In any case,
apparently Toadsworth shows up at one point
they're working really hard to justify this movie here. And then it talks about Captain Toad in what could be a fairly major role. Distinctive toads are working to take over the world.

Now, I tend to hesitate with this sort of explanation because, so often, it tends to be used to excuse media that's just ... not very good. Something can be made for kids and still be good, even if it's firmly not for me, and I'm generally of the mind that kids should be given access to that, rather than being given a handwave of something that didn't need to be good anyway. That's not to say this movie will fall under that, just that the general sentiment is often abused.

I do find that the better this kids' media is, the more likely an adult can at least appreciate it, even if, again, it's clearly not for them.

Regardless, if this movie were to accurately reflect the source material, its greatest focus would be on the medium itself and the craft of what makes animation delightful and well-wrought; the plot and story would be snuck in behind Miyamoto's back.

There's also a rule about whether the song and its lyrics are either about the plot or move the plot forward.
Consider the Jane Austen rule: musical pieces should carry at least the same weight as the epistolary segments in Pride and Prejudice, linking elements of the story, pushing the plot forward, and providing insight into character (considering theme is also good) -- essentially, covering the same sort of ground one might expect in any well-told tale.

Sometimes a production will attempt to be a musical, but it'll fall flat, something about it -- and especially the musical pieces themselves-- just feeling off; chances are, the musical pieces didn't abide by this rule and, as such, come off as superfluous.

This is a rule of my creation, but it seems to hold true, and it's probably also floating about out there already because of that.

It's cool to see so many obscure Mario characters get brought up. We know of Foreman Spike, but if this leak is true then we will also see Toadsworth and DK Jr. return. I wonder if this would help build momentum for these characters to return in the video games.

Also it makes some of the voice roles different than what the voice cast announcement implied. Namely, it seems like Seth Rogen is actually voicing the arcade DK in the prologue, AKA younger Cranky Kong. Then Keegan-Michael Key seems to be the voice of Captain Toad since there doesn't seem to be a central "Toad" character in the plot description.

As a drybones description, entirely devoid of flesh as it is, this actually sounds potentially better than I would have expected. Nothing in here, on its own, is necessarily going to be great, but the possibility is there to hang something decent on it.

In any case,

they're working really hard to justify this movie here. And then it talks about Captain Toad in what could be a fairly major role. Distinctive toads are working to take over the world.

Now, I tend to hesitate with this sort of explanation because, so often, it tends to be used to excuse media that's just ... not very good. Something can be made for kids and still be good, even if it's firmly not for me, and I'm generally of the mind that kids should be given access to that, rather than being given a handwave of something that didn't need to be good anyway. That's not to say this movie will fall under that, just that the general sentiment is often abused.

I do find that the better this kids' media is, the more likely an adult can at least appreciate it, even if, again, it's clearly not for them.

Of course kids media can be good. But I think you’re missing the point here. It’s not whether kids media is done well, but there’s a bit more to that.

In the sense that this is being made for a new generation of Mario fans who will grow up into future adult Mario fans. Nintendo is trying to cater to new or soon to be new fans as a gateway to their world.

So the movie will not be overtly doing pandering to us. And that is perfectly okay. As long as the movie nails what they are going for.

But I also think it is unnecessary for a kids movie to have to include innuendo because the adults will get it and get a chuckle. It just has to be good on its own right.

So it might be fake after all?

I often wonder why major outlets like nintendo life dont do a better job of screening this stuff before they write or discuss it, is there just not that much to make contentn about right now for nintendo content creators, so any click is a good click?

wouldn't shock me in the slightest.

Some of the descriptions were already sounding way too 'outside of Nintendo norm' the more I read about it (Toadsworth, Modern DK/Seth Rogen being young Cranky and so forth); --still, being a musical is far from being unlikely.

Is there a particular reason why we should give that Twitter thread the time of day? What proof are they providing?

Not that it'd particularly shock me, mind.

I'm not seeing any tweets on that account's profile prior to April 29th?

Honestly the only thing about this whole saga that gave it legitimacy was the DMCA. So if it was all fake it wouldn't shock me.

Aside from the apparent DCMA, that's really the most likely outcome, regardless of whether these tweets are legitimate. Even Grubb's reasoning for having any belief in it amounts to its delay and the thought that some people have probably seen it.

The alleged leak itself does have just the right sort of feeling off that could lend to a belief in it, though: the mention of a slight redesign, which sounds like something Nintendo would absolutely not allow but which could also be misinterpreting a shift in artstyle; pointing to a muted clothing color scheme and describing Jumpman, without holding up a neon sign saying " hey, nerds, we've got Jumpman over here;" pulling in characters that either seem unlikely but are, perhaps, just believable enough (Toadsworth) or are, perhaps, unexpected but see enough of a push that they're entirely believable (Captain Toad); recalling barebones plot details but not relaying anything of particular substance (unfortunately how people seem often to talk about these things); "not knowing" some details (Fuzzy and Ninji, though this can also be read in some cases as being evidence of someone making it up, such as the juxtaposition of referring to Bonzai Bill instead of a, perhaps more believable term, Bullet Bill); even pulling in just enough old-gamer nostalgia to entice that base to buy in while making clear the movie, for the most part, focuses on the parts other than that.

It reads both like someone talking about a movie they maybe didn't completely understand or that didn't have particular substance to hang on to, and also like someone making it up.

Though Donkey Kong and Foreman Spike seem very much relegated here to lesser roles than would be implied by all the marketing for this so far.

But it doesn't particularly matter because this is a thread about musicals, anyway.

Of course kids media can be good. But I think you’re missing the point here. It’s not whether kids media is done well, but there’s a bit more to that.

In the sense that this is being made for a new generation of Mario fans who will grow up into future adult Mario fans. Nintendo is trying to cater to new or soon to be new fans as a gateway to their world.

So the movie will not be overtly doing pandering to us. And that is perfectly okay. As long as the movie nails what they are going for.

But I also think it is unnecessary for a kids movie to have to include innuendo because the adults will get it and get a chuckle. It just has to be good on its own right.
Sure, but, again, I tend to hear the refrain that "it's for kids" used almost exclusively to justify why something didn't have to be good; hence the hesitation toward it. It doesn't tend to be used to justify media that's good on its own merits, because such media doesn't usually need that defense.

Now, if it's meant to indicate that there won't be references to older Mario media for the older audiences to nod at and say "aye, I remember that," that's something different. That's just an expectation certain fans might have, which even something intended for all audiences, not just for kids, isn't necessarily obligated to fulfill (and which could even be just a crutch to get parents and such to tolerate the media). But older audiences shouldn't necessarily need those, nor require that the absence designates something as for kids.

(On that note, there's no reason to assume there won't be such references. We already have Donkey Kong and his history with Mario, and we have Foreman Spike; handled well, these shouldn't at all require the ability to say "aye, I remember that" in order to appreciate, but it likely is that same history which is why they're here. Likewise, the alleged leak references the existence of Toadsworth, who really would be a perfect character to include for kids but who, being tossed aside these last many years, would also be a callback for that older audience.)

I do expect kids are likely the primary target demographic, yes, perhaps even the sole target demographic, which is okay. It doesn't need to be targeted to me or be otherwise for me.

Back
Top Bottom