• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Dementium The Ward is coming October 12 on Switch

Samus95

Like Like

Dementium, the og horror for DS by the former Renegade Kid is coming to Switch

With some luck maybe we can see Dementium II and Moon next

I finished all their games on DS.
Dementium 1, 2 and also Moon.
They were really ambitious for running on a handheld.
I mean FPS games running at 60 fps on the DS.

That is something.
The environments are a bit repetitive, which was fine on DS cause it still had that wow effect.
Dunno if that still works out on Switch.

The only thing I remember about the original is that it had the weirdest boss theme known to man.
It was a technical marvel on the DS, but I don't remember it being particularly good in any other way.

I’m confused, I thought Dementium went to the other Renegade Kid founder, not Jools?
the other Renegade Kid founder, Gregg Hargrove, passed away in 2018. before his new studio (Infitizmo) released any projects.

it's likely Jools decided to rescue the rights to the 3D titles as a result of that, i don't think there was any employees at Infitizmo aside from Gregg himself.

Given his known associations with Colin Moriarty and Josh Thomas (TheBitBlock), this is a pretty easy skip for me. Though, I wish I knew about them sooner before I backed his horrible Kickstarter 6 years ago.

I’m confused, I thought Dementium went to the other Renegade Kid founder, not Jools?
It did, but Jools received the rights this year. As I believe the other founder passed away last year.

The environments are a bit repetitive, which was fine on DS cause it still had that wow effect.
Dunno if that still works out on Switch.
It was a technical marvel on the DS, but I don't remember it being particularly good in any other way.
Pretty much these. Game was notable on DS for what it accomplished on the tiny handheld, it’s nothing special on Switch which can run Doom, Metro, Crysis, etc.

the other Renegade Kid founder, Gregg Hargrove, passed away in 2018. before his new studio (Infitizmo) released any projects.

it's likely Jools decided to rescue the rights to the 3D titles as a result of that, i don't think there was any employees at Infitizmo aside from Gregg himself.

It did, but Jools received the rights this year. As I believe the other founder passed away last year.
Oh wow, I had not heard of his passing ☹️

Pretty much these. Game was notable on DS for what it accomplished on the tiny handheld, it’s nothing special on Switch which can run Doom, Metro, Crysis, etc.
I’d argue that it still does its own thing by being closer to the original version of DOOM 3 than any of those. It’s a fun horror game.

oh wow. I guess there was a kickstarter? I am super curious to try this; I never played it on DS

Been hearing mixed reactions about this announcement. Hearing people say it's great and others saying the game is terrible. I'll check it out.

I'd argue it's trying to be more like Resident Evil and Silent Hill, but the older Resident Evils are on Switch also.

Yeah only see people having nostalgia for the DS release buying this.
I am not sure I really want to replay them right now, I think Dementium 2 is the better game anyway.

They will miss out on the selling point of being a technical marvel now.
I mean looking at the trailer this seems to be a port of the 3DS version at that consoles screen res?
So maybe they're trying to ride that retro FPS wave now, with all these new boomer shooters like Ultrakill or Dusk having a more low poly, low texture res artstyle?

Last edited:
This was a Renegade Kid game, right? I just can't give up on these guys, i have a soft spot for them.

I'm ready to buy this again.

Been hearing mixed reactions about this announcement. Hearing people say it's great and others saying the game is terrible. I'll check it out.
The original was a short, 5/10 horror fps that was the definition of functional and average. What elevated it to a 7/10 for many was bringing that basic, horror fps experience to the Nintendo DS in 2007. The novelty of the game punching well above the weight of the hardware it was on is why it got buzz and sold well enough to fund a sequel and port. Of course if you played the later 3ds port (a console that had Resident Evil Revelaitons), or tried it on an emulator a lot of the novelty is lost, and you're left with a bog standard, unremarkable, horror fps.

If I rember well Dementium 2 is considered the the true good game of the series

Also Jools is puttinh likes on tweet asking for Dementium 2 and Moon on Switch

Talking about Moon I never understood the episodic nature of the remake, or why was only released in America

A big bummer that this looks like a DS port of the game with barely anything touched aside for resolution.

good news for those of you who wanted to see those low-res models and textures upscaled to 1080p for some reason.

the sequel was already HDified back on PC in 2013. with disastrous results.

now no longer locked to Nintendo platforms.

the second game got an “HD” version on PC as previously noted, but again. not a particularly good port.

Back
Top Bottom