• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Deep cuts.

MeowMix

Cappy
Banned
Pronouns
He/ him
Hi Fami!! Long time lurker, first time poster here. This thread is simple and straightforward. Basically, "If you liked X game, then you'll love Y game!" Try to recommend lesser well-known games, or hidden gems, as well. See if you can include a trailer or video for your game as well!

To start off then... If you liked Hollow Knight (or Metroidvanias in general), then you'll love Islets!! Feel free to ask for recommendations as well. Personally, I'm looking for games that resemble The Messenger (which I'm totally addicted to at the moment haha).

If you like Zelda 2 or Castlevania 2, check out La-Mulana and its sequels.

While more inspired by older PC titles, it's a Metroidvania that uses a lot of text to hint at what player needs to do, and pretty much recreates the feeling of finding out that you need to crouch in front of a cliff, except with better translation.

It's a great time with wonderful music and is one of my most cherished video game experiences.

No Metroidvania elements, but if you haven’t played Cyber Shadow you might like it OP.

I’ve hocked it before, and here I am again: if you like to puzzle, you should give Bonfire Peaks a spin. More people need to experience this one for sure.

I’ll take any opportunity to shoutout Tadpole Treble Ecore! It’s a delightful little rhythm-action game that carries a ton of charm in both the OST and the art style. It was designed and developed by the creator of Brawl in the Family (Nintendo webcomic that ended in 2014) and I feel like it never got any kind of spotlight outside of that niche circle… which is a shame because it really is something special imo.

I have the original release on my Wii U, but the Switch version is even better, and definitely worth the price at $8.99 (I know it sounds like I’m being paid to market but I really do just adore this game lol)

I’ll take any opportunity to shoutout Tadpole Treble Ecore! It’s a delightful little rhythm-action game that carries a ton of charm in both the OST and the art style. It was designed and developed by the creator of Brawl in the Family (Nintendo webcomic that ended in 2014) and I feel like it never got any kind of spotlight outside of that niche circle… which is a shame because it really is something special imo.

I have the original release on my Wii U, but the Switch version is even better, and definitely worth the price at $8.99 (I know it sounds like I’m being paid to market but I really do just adore this game lol)

I can't find this on euro eshop. Any idea why?

Is this even released in europe?

I can't find this on euro eshop. Any idea why?

Is this even released in europe?
Hmm! Yeah, I had no idea but after looking into it, seems like Tadpole Treble has only ever been available on the North American eShop, even going back to its original Wii U release, which is definitely a bummer. The developer is quite small, and as I mentioned the game never caught much attention outside the audience of a niche, long-defunct webcomic, so I would guess there might be some extra costs in releasing across multiple regions that they weren’t able to cover?

For what it’s worth, the game is available on Steam, but it’s not the definitive version with extra levels that released on Switch. I would still personally recommend it if you are interested though!

Hmm! Yeah, I had no idea but after looking into it, seems like Tadpole Treble has only ever been available on the North American eShop, even going back to its original Wii U release, which is definitely a bummer. The developer is quite small, and as I mentioned the game never caught much attention outside the audience of a niche, long-defunct webcomic, so I would guess there might be some extra costs in releasing across multiple regions that they weren’t able to cover?

For what it’s worth, the game is available on Steam, but it’s not the definitive version with extra levels that released on Switch. I would still personally recommend it if you are interested though!

This is weird. I don't think there's any other example of this? So why is this one only out in one region? If it would be cost, there would be multible other games like this.

can’t believe I came to this thread months late to post Islets and it’s already in the OP!!

I don't know if I'm looking for a deep cut, but I am looking for recommendations if this thread is the place for that!

Some genres I really like but tend to bounce off of are arcade shooters (like Ikaruga), tower defense games, and I suppose RTSs.

For arcade shooters, I'd like a game with some progression in the levels where upgrades stack. Years ago, I played a shooter in a web browser where your upgrades would level up as you collected more of the drops, and I think that defined my tastes. If there was some kind of global progression, potentially as an RPG leveling system or a roguelite structure, that'd be cool. I'm not very into punishing games, but if it's satisfying to keep trying again and again thanks to some kind of progression, that would work for me. Ideally, it'd have a futuristic or metallic aesthetic as opposed to anything organic. I own Ikaruga but didn't last very long.

For tower defense games, it's mostly the same. I'd like a sense of progression. If the game had an option for me to grind, that'd be fantastic, as I don't really enjoy thinking through the strategy too much and would like the option to brute force it via leveling and upgrades when I'm feeling intellectually lazy. I've mostly played the Kingdom Rush games.

RTSs...it's going to be the same again. Here, I think I'd want something way more casual and less frantic than the most famous in the genre. I'd also like it if the game emphasized or allowed for a turtling style, as that's my favorite. Ones I've played so far are StarCraft II, Stormgate, and a tiny bit of Halo Wars.

If any of these are on Switch (arcade shooters seem most likely between NSO and eShop options), I'll take the recommendations! I also have a slightly older gaming PC and a PS5, but I know this is a Nintendo forum.

For tower defense games, it's mostly the same. I'd like a sense of progression. If the game had an option for me to grind, that'd be fantastic, as I don't really enjoy thinking through the strategy too much and would like the option to brute force it via leveling and upgrades when I'm feeling intellectually lazy. I've mostly played the Kingdom Rush games.

RTSs...it's going to be the same again. Here, I think I'd want something way more casual and less frantic than the most famous in the genre. I'd also like it if the game emphasized or allowed for a turtling style, as that's my favorite. Ones I've played so far are StarCraft II, Stormgate, and a tiny bit of Halo Wars.
.....hm. Have you ever heard of AI War? It was an indie tower defense/RTS/grand strategy hybrid that got big on Steam during the early indie boom. It's an asymmetric game where the Terminator-style AI enemy straight up has infinite resources and doesn't squash you like a bug because it has other things it cares about. It dedicates as many resources to eliminating you as it thinks you're worth, which is your only advantage over it.

It's one of my favorite RTS games because it's actually a strategy game, so while tactics wins you battles but you need strategy to win the war. Every planet you take gets you more attention from the AI, so not only is a full conquest not advisable, sometimes you'll run into amazing planets with resources, facilities and derelicts that you'll pass over for a planet with absolutely nothing that secures you a backdoor to the AI core worlds.

There's also a sequel which modernized the UI and had more of a story focus, but that came out after I'd had my fill of the base game and its eight expansions.

The learning curve is real, but you can customize the game to not be stress-central. I'd recommend at least checking it out. Both games are on PC.

If you want something on Nintendo, Pikmin, obviously. :sneaky: And Unicorn Overlord if that seems up your alley. But AI War is my deep cut rec.

This is my favourite tower defence game on Switch.

Thanks for the recommendation! Do you think it plays well with a controller? I only play in docked mode.
.....hm. Have you ever heard of AI War? It was an indie tower defense/RTS/grand strategy hybrid that got big on Steam during the early indie boom. It's an asymmetric game where the Terminator-style AI enemy straight up has infinite resources and doesn't squash you like a bug because it has other things it cares about. It dedicates as many resources to eliminating you as it thinks you're worth, which is your only advantage over it.

It's one of my favorite RTS games because it's actually a strategy game, so while tactics wins you battles but you need strategy to win the war. Every planet you take gets you more attention from the AI, so not only is a full conquest not advisable, sometimes you'll run into amazing planets with resources, facilities and derelicts that you'll pass over for a planet with absolutely nothing that secures you a backdoor to the AI core worlds.

There's also a sequel which modernized the UI and had more of a story focus, but that came out after I'd had my fill of the base game and its eight expansions.

The learning curve is real, but you can customize the game to not be stress-central. I'd recommend at least checking it out. Both games are on PC.

If you want something on Nintendo, Pikmin, obviously. :sneaky: And Unicorn Overlord if that seems up your alley. But AI War is my deep cut rec.
I have not! I'll look into it. This being a strategy game intimidates me a little, as I ultimately just want a light challenge and a satisfying feeling of progression. I appreciate the recommendation and will see how I feel once I take a look. I've played Pikmin (Challenge Mode in Pikmin 3 and maybe the night missions in Pikmin 4 are my favorite from what I've played) and have my eye on Unicorn Overlord to eventually play. Thanks for the tip!

This is weird. I don't think there's any other example of this? So why is this one only out in one region? If it would be cost, there would be multible other games like this.
Mega Kaiju Rancher was also not released in Europe for some godforsaken reason and that was a game by BandaiNamco even! I really don't get it and it instantly made me lose all interest in the game I had

Thanks for the recommendation! Do you think it plays well with a controller? I only play in docked mode.

I have not! I'll look into it. This being a strategy game intimidates me a little, as I ultimately just want a light challenge and a satisfying feeling of progression. I appreciate the recommendation and will see how I feel once I take a look. I've played Pikmin (Challenge Mode in Pikmin 3 and maybe the night missions in Pikmin 4 are my favorite from what I've played) and have my eye on Unicorn Overlord to eventually play. Thanks for the tip!
I only play in handheld unfortunately, but it played well for me. I don't see anything in the reviews about poor controls, though.

Not sure if this cuts deep enough, but I'd like to put in a good word for Easy Come Easy Golf on Switch. It's by Clap Hanz, the team that made most of the Everybody's Golf games on various Playstation consoles and it supposedly is a port of the Apple Arcade game Clap Hanz Golf. For those that haven't played any of the Everbody's Golf games: think Mario Golf but without the random course elements that make the outcome of a stroke unpredictable. The slight twist here is that you're not sticking to a single character for 9 or 18 holes, but you're recruiting characters on a team and appointing them to one hole based on their strenghts and weaknesses, adding a touch of managment to the equasion.

I did not even remember I owned it, but while on a trip a couple of weeks ago, I was browsing through my installed library looking for something to play and this came up. I tried it and it has had its hooks in me ever since. There's tons of content; loads of (daily) challenges and stuff to unlock. And it has that thing I like about Switch games where it's just as fun for a couple of minutes as it is for two hours: great for someone who switched portable and couch gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom