• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Dbrand announces "Clone of the Kingdom" Switch skin, taunts Nintendo to sue them (as marketing)

totofogo

thinkin bt pkmn 4
Pronouns
he/him šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

The Power of Plagiarism​

Contrary to popular belief, you need to spend money to save money. Specifically, by giving it to us. You see, when one of the world's most litigious companies announces a $359.99 price tag to replace your Switch with a limited edition variant, only dbrand is up to the challenge of charging you slightly less for a "creative reinterpretation" of their overpriced novelty console. If a dollar saved is a dollar earned, Clone of the Kingdom is the easiest $310.04 you've ever made.

uh, black version of the joycon skin looks sick. I don't have too much else to say lol.

Block-03-6289ad0412b0556e891922c4a83a29c5.jpg
Block-04-ece4f81cac0e6c3de83e06c83c761efc.jpg

Block-02-8440c95cdf4ff055f49cadcb1b1f4bcc.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure this is quite as "Ah, I dare you to sue us!" as their copywriter made it sound

All the imagery on there is very much easily distinguishableā€”pyramids with eyes, block mazes, etc.

I feel like the "We dare you to sue us!" is just more marketing guff for a deeply safe product

I'm not sure this is quite as "Ah, I dare you to sue us!" as their copywriter made it sound

All the imagery on there is very much easily distinguishableā€”pyramids with eyes, block mazes, etc.

I feel like the "We dare you to sue us!" is just more marketing guff for a deeply safe product
Yeah it's safe similar to a parody / no trademark infringement, just a smart marketing move especially given how silly Ninty is with their LE switches lol

Yeah, that's all marketing bluster when custom/knock-off console/controller decals and the like have been around for ages without repercussion.

If a dollar saved is a dollar earned, Clone of the Kingdom is the easiest $310.04 you've ever made.
Thanks but I actually know a way to save the full $359.99, I'm not spending $50 for some limited time only stickers no matter who's pocketing it. Worra swizz!

Kudos to them for that marketing.

I would get a dock only sticker if it wasn't that expensive.

wow, so edgy

As I grow older companies pretending to be punk rock actually irks me more than companies being corporate and boring about everything. Itā€™s like, both of these two companies are for-profit enterprises; only one of them is acting like theyā€™re not. theyā€™re the cool brand, fighting the power, being snarky about an ā€œoverpriced novelty consoleā€ while selling aā€¦$50ā€¦novelty console skin.

being all ā€œfuck the lawyers!ā€ feels kind of artificial when you have lawyers, in other words.

wow, so edgy

As I grow older companies pretending to be punk rock actually irks me more than companies being corporate and boring about everything. Itā€™s like, both of these two companies are for-profit enterprises; only one of them is acting like theyā€™re not. theyā€™re the cool brand, fighting the power, being snarky about an ā€œoverpriced novelty consoleā€ while selling aā€¦$50ā€¦novelty console skin.

being all ā€œfuck the lawyers!ā€ feels kind of artificial when you have lawyers, in other words.
It's the same energy as Devolver saying "Fuck the corpos!" while putting a ton of money into an Adult Swim wannabe E3 showcase.

wow, so edgy

I mean...
Contrary to popular belief, you need to spend money to save money. Specifically, by giving it to us.

lol, but yes I agree. This would be a fine thing to do for those that want it, the spin that marketing took on it is cringey and unnecessary

Nintendo: Here's a limited edition console for $360!
Me: Jesus, I don't even want it, but fuck off with that price!

Dbrand: Here's a limited edition console skin for $50!
Me: Jesus, I don't even want it, but fuck off with that price!

Huh... what do you know? They were right. To me, they ARE pretty much the same thing.

Didnā€™t they do the whole ā€œcome sue us lolā€ thing before, and actually had to change/remove a product because lawyers came knocking. Seems pretty dumb to do it again, but Iā€™m not a sticker seller so what do I know.

Didnā€™t they do the whole ā€œcome sue us lolā€ thing before, and actually had to change/remove a product because lawyers came knocking. Seems pretty dumb to do it again, but Iā€™m not a sticker seller so what do I know.
Now that you mention it, yep, that happened:

Well, if it happens again, they can always keep things on-brand by reacting to it with a (legally distinct) surprised Pikachu face.

wow, so edgy

adbusters and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race

A bit funny they make a point of it being cheaper than getting the ZOLED normally, but assuming you're going from OLED to OLED you can just... sell it normally and make back $300+, or gift it and save someone else $350. The difference on the former in particular would make the custom decal barely cheaper or actually more expensive in practice. That and the cringe aside though, I don't really see a reason to get hung up on this

EDIT: and yes, I understand the overall meaning is not giving money to Nintendo, but it still stuck out to me

A bit funny they make a point of it being cheaper than getting the ZOLED normally, but assuming you're going from OLED to OLED you can just... sell it normally and make back $300+, or gift it and save someone else $350. The difference on the former in particular would make the custom decal barely cheaper or actually more expensive in practice. That and the cringe aside though, I don't really see a reason to get hung up on this

EDIT: and yes, I understand the overall meaning is not giving money to Nintendo, but it still stuck out to me
Yeah it seems well done, if I had a steam deck Iā€™m pretty sure I would have ordered that one lol. Marketing aside itā€™s a very normal product, as are DIY replacement shells. The price is pretty normal for a protective decal, though itā€™s a stretch to say the extra joycon set is ā€œfreeā€.

It is silly of Nintendo to not offer things piece meal on a modular system. I loved the new 3DS faceplates but sadly never got around to getting one. Well, itā€™s smart of them business wise. Silly to me as a fan who wants to collect things lol.

Last edited:
Kinda meh on DBrands marketing, but Companies like Apple, Sony, Nintendo etc. that throw their weight around to monopolise the accessory market to charge insane markups uncontested, need to fuck off into the sun like yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom