• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Current Ranking of Mario Party 1 to 10 according to Mario Party Superstars Players (Vote for your own in the poll!)

What is YOUR favourite Mario Party from 1 to 10?

• Total voters

Skipper93653

Paratroopa
Hi, I decided to check the online rankings for Mario Party 1 to 10 in Mario Party Superstars which is gathered from what players have said is their favourite Mario Party and I'd thought to share it with the members of Famiboards and hear your thoughts on what the players have picked. I will be periodically updating this OP with new data as time goes on if anything changes the next time I play.

As of December 20th 2022:​

1. Mario Party (N64)
  2. Mario Party 2 (N64)
  3. Mario Party 8 (Wii)
  4. Mario Party 10 (Wii U)
  5. Mario Party 3 (N64)
  6. Mario Party 9 (Wii)
  7. Mario Party 5 (GC)
  8. Mario Party 4 (GC)
  9. Mario Party 6 (GC)
  10. Mario Party 7 (GC)

I think Mario Party 4 is highly underrated. I also wouldn't place 8 so high but I understand why it's there.

The main mode in 10 is garbage, but Bowser Party makes up for that in spades. That shit's hilarious!

A shame that the rather great Mario Party 6 is so low. But I imagine the later entries on GameCube faced franchise fatigue and diminishing sales, explaining their lower ranks. I have a lot of nostalgia for Mario Party 1 but I don't know if I can call it the best in good faith.

I wonder how a poll like this would do on Famiboards...

Are people warming up to 9 and 10? There was a time where 9 was basically thought of as the Sticker Star of its series.

9 was my first Mario Party so I’d be glad if it’s getting less hate.

I don't agree with a lot of those picks. I mean, the original Mario Party is cool, but 2 and 3 are massive improvements over it.

8, 9, and 10 being above 5 and 6 is also absurd to me. 8 was pretty bland, the blandest of them all alongside 4 as far as I am concerned. And I was not a big fan of the mechanics of 9 and 10.

My personal order would be something like:

Last edited:
Ok, I've decided to also add a poll to this thread to see how closely (or not) it matches with how players of Mario Party Superstars have picked.

i actually love 9 and 10's party mode, so i'm glad to see them getting their due after getting unreasonably bashed for so long. they're a lot of fun still and with the set tracks never get as long in the tooth as the other games do

super and superstars did a lot to improve the classic formula in that way, but honestly still turn into a slog with a bunch of humans taking their time every turn

I've only played... four of these, I think? 1, 2, 4, and 8, I think. MP4 is the one I remember enjoying the most, followed by MP2. MP1 was a lot of fun but is on my shitlist for causing me bodily harm as a child.

I'mma be honest in that Mario Party 5 is the one I return to the least simply from the idea of having to spend coins to use items on yourself. Felt so dumb. It's only redeeming factor was that 1v1 tank warfare game but DK as the final boss was horrendously broken and actively made me angry.

I have the most nostalgia for Mario Party 3, but Mario Party 4 I definitely spent the most time with day in and day out at its peak

1 is the default people mashing through will pick; 8 was the main Wii one and previous best-seller before the Switch gen; and 10 is the meme choice, so you shouldn't be too surprised by any of those being near the top regardless of their (poor) quality.

Let a Mario Party Professional seperate the weak from the strong with my official rankings.

luYNOZXyfc6gY53ZTroCpExh99CWhej3g9f4td0v8mBAQAkJACAgBISAEhIAQEAJCQAgIgf9fIJ8v8X8AyblKk2u9Oj8AAAAASUVORK5CYII.png

The best two being at the bottom of the Superstars rankings is very tragic.

2 > 3 > 1 > The Rest

4 is a little bland, in my opinion. 5 clutters up the board with those capsules. It’s a nightmare!

I was burned by 5 and put the series on ignore until Super. I’m glad it’s good again!

1 is the default people mashing through will pick; 8 was the main Wii one and previous best-seller before the Switch gen; and 10 is the meme choice, so you shouldn't be too surprised by any of those being near the top regardless of their (poor) quality.

Let a Mario Party Professional seperate the weak from the strong with my official rankings.

luYNOZXyfc6gY53ZTroCpExh99CWhej3g9f4td0v8mBAQAkJACAgBISAEhIAQEAJCQAgIgf9fIJ8v8X8AyblKk2u9Oj8AAAAASUVORK5CYII.png

The best two being at the bottom of the Superstars rankings is very tragic.
I love the fact "Car" and "Car but Worse" are low-tier categories. That stuff was terrible.

@MondoMega inspired me to do this
Mario Party 1, 2 and 3 I've not played yet, but due to having played Superstars and them being a basis for what I consider to be one of the best Mario spin-off series ever, I put them AT LEAST in B tier. Super Mario Party was in that tier as well but it wouldn't be fair against the N64 games to be placed in the same tier as SMP.
And yes, Mario Party 5 is in my opinion the best of them all. It's the one I've made the most memories with, I love the minigames, the boards and modes the most. It's just such a great game imo
my-image_4.png

if they ever return to the car stuff I'm selling every single Nintendo product I have

I’m guessing a significant chunk of the “favorite” picks for MP10 are ironic. I know I had mine set to that for a while.

I’ve only put serious time into 1-4 and 8, and 3 was easily my favorite out of those. Have yet to get into 5-7, although I’ve heard very good things.

Mario Party 10 is legitimately my favorite by default because it’s the only Mario Party game to actually allow more than just four players. Seriously, that’s my biggest gripe with the series—is it really much of a Mario Party when it’s limited to just four players?! Especially when we have other Nintendo games like Super Smash Bros. and fucking Luigi’s Mansion of all games that support up to eight players!!

I do like Mario Party 10 best (of the numbered Mario Party games, at least) for other reasons, too, but number of players is always gonna be a big deal for me when it comes to party games. It’s honestly shocking to me that Mario Party hasn’t made eight players the standard yet. Even if you have to use multiple systems to make it work, it should at least be an option by now…

Mario party 1 is good but it’s a really unfair game. I think 2 did a much better job of being a bit more fun but not as punishing, so that’s my favourite.

Mario Party 10 is legitimately my favorite by default because it’s the only Mario Party game to actually allow more than just four players.
Not true! Mario Party 7 has an 8 player mode; albeit in teams of 2 but it’s still there, with a few unique mechanics and some minigames adjusted for 8 players.

Bowser Party is a good concept in theory (before Super Mario Party I was in support of it returning as a side mode; in that case the car and only three boards would’ve been reasonable) but in practice it is terribly unbalanced towards the Bowser player; get certain Bowser minigames and the team is done for. The guessing game at the end makes an already rough experience all the more painful too.

Quoted by: Tye
Not true! Mario Party 7 has an 8 player mode; albeit in teams of 2 but it’s still there, with a few unique mechanics and some minigames adjusted for 8 players.

Bowser Party is a good concept in theory (before Super Mario Party I was in support of it returning as a side mode; in that case the car and only three boards would’ve been reasonable) but in practice it is terribly unbalanced towards the Bowser player; get certain Bowser minigames and the team is done for. The guessing game at the end makes an already rough experience all the more painful too.

Huh, I wasn’t aware of that! I still haven’t played any of the GameCube Mario Party games ‘cause I never owned them as a kid. Somehow, I never played a Mario Party game until 8 (to be fair I didn’t have many friends to play party games with as a kid, and the series didn’t interest me much back then either) and didn’t actually own one until 9.

But that just makes the fact that the newer Mario Party games don’t support eight players—even on Switch, which supports eight controllers at a time!!—even more bizarre to me!! YOU’VE DONE IT BEFORE, WHY NOT DO IT AGAIN, BUT BETTER?! I just don’t understand… If there’s any Nintendo franchise that really should be prioritizing more players per game, it’s Mario Party.

Regardless, 7 has the Koopa Kids, so that’s an automatic disqualification from me, unfortunately! =p lol

If I had to make a tier list, it’d probably be something like this:

S: 10
A: Star Rush, Super
B: 9, Superstars
C: -e (mainly because I fucking love the e-Reader and the fact that this game even exists, lol)
D: DS, 8, Island Tour
E: Top 100
Has Koopa Kids: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Advance, 7

That’s not entirely serious, of course, lol, and I haven’t even played all of them yet, but I liked a lot about 10 and Star Rush. I’ve already mentioned the support for 5 players, and amiibo support was neat, plus the simultaneous movement in Star Rush was a game changer! I’d have put Superstars up with Super if it weren’t for the fact that Superstars doesn’t make full use of the Joy-Con’s features like Super does, plus its roster is so much worse than Super’s.

EDIT: Forgot to list 8 and 9, oops, lol.

Last edited:
the original Mario Party is overrated. Boards are bland and the overall game is vanilla. Mario Party 2 takes everything from the first game and makes it better. The boards are better and it has, I would say, most of the best minigames from the 1st one too lol.

8 has fun boards imo, but the minigames can be dull. 7 to me has some of the best minigames with 6 right behind. 3 has Waluigi's Island.

So I would go 2, 3, 7, 6, 1, 8, and then the rest.

Not ordered in tiers

Top tier: 3, 6, 7
Great: 2, 8, DS, Superstars
Good: 4, 5, Super
Meh: 1, Island Tour, Star Rush
Car: 9, 10
Why?: Advance, E-Reader, Top 100

Honestly 4 is saved from the meh tier mostly because it has some of the best minigames in the entire series. Everything else that goes into 4's main gameplay modes is poor. The mini/mega gimmick doesn't work well and 4 has some of the worst boards in the series. Hopefully you're not the sucker on Toad's Midway Madness or Bowser's Gnarly Party who gets stuck looping the starting area for 1/3 of the game, or that you don't get awful banana rng on Koopa's Seaside Soiree, or get stuck in the bottom left quadrant of Goomba's Greedy Gala due to bad mini dice rolls and "good" goomba challenge rolls.

A lot of long-term fans put Mario Party 10 as a troll BTW, so don't worry too much about it.

As for my rankings: Mario Party 3 is the GOAT. Good boards, added Daisy and Waluigi, great minigames, the first attempt at a full single player mode, the duel mode with the partners, and getting kids addicted to gambling with Game Guy.

2 and 6 would be my next favourites. 4 and 1 have things to love about them, but 1 has some irritating mechanics and 4 has a few awful boards where you can get stuck in a loop for a long time due to board events. 5 is whatever apart from the good parts of Pirate Dream, the fun side mode where you build machines and the return of the stars from Paper Mario. 8 has mostly lackluster minigames but good boards. DS has fun minigames but the maps are mostly lame. Haven't played the rest aside from the mentioned Superstars which is pretty great but needs an extra board or two.

Mario Party 10 at 4 and Mario Party 6 at 9...

This depresses me so much even if it is a troll. All the GameCube Mario Parties are better than 1, 9, and 10 and all the spin-offs except Mario Party DS. Mario Party 1 mostly is at the bottom for being an unbalanced and literally painful mess lol. The rest just don't work.

I do lowkey adore Mario Party 8 though, don't really understand why it isn't as beloved. It's literally the most fun I've had with Mario Party and friends at times with its dumb waggle controls and insane boards. The last time Mario Party was really special until Superstars got close.

Mario Party 8 being so high is an absolute crime. It's the worst game in the series by a good clean mile. It was so bad in fact, that the series got mothballed for 5 years because of it.

As others have said, I wouldn't use MPS in game metrics to rank jack. I've played tons of online games with friends who've put 100+ hours into Superstars and never touched their player card.

I don't understand the hate against 8, it's a great entry with many memorable boards. The monopoly board is so unique and might be my favorite in the whole franchise.

Mario Party 10 is legitimately my favorite by default because it’s the only Mario Party game to actually allow more than just four players. Seriously, that’s my biggest gripe with the series—is it really much of a Mario Party when it’s limited to just four players?! Especially when we have other Nintendo games like Super Smash Bros. and fucking Luigi’s Mansion of all games that support up to eight players!!

I do like Mario Party 10 best (of the numbered Mario Party games, at least) for other reasons, too, but number of players is always gonna be a big deal for me when it comes to party games. It’s honestly shocking to me that Mario Party hasn’t made eight players the standard yet. Even if you have to use multiple systems to make it work, it should at least be an option by now…

Sometimes you just don't have enough knowledge to make an informed decision and that's ok... I started reading your post with interest because it was well written and long and you said 10 is legitimately your favourite, then it turns out you haven't played the GameCube ones, the ones that people who have played them all actually typically rate the highest.

Anyway, I'll add to the general rule which seems to be agreed amongst most people that have played them all.

3 and 6 are the best overall for classic and (at the time) modern Mario party.

2 typically comes next for being like 3 but not as good, but having plenty of reasons to play it, and 7 is up there for being 6 but not as good, though unfortunately it's knocked by some people as fatigue has set in and they probably haven't played it as much.

Then comes 4 in a weird sort of own tier. The OG will know the boards and items are bland, and the mini game selection has gone down in quantity. But my god the beautiful presentation and music and the good mini games are GOOD . Still the best looking Mario Party game today in a weird way?

Then come the weird trio of 1,5 and 8 interchangeably. The broken OG, the brave 5 which does things differently, and the weird 8 which has parts to love (though not the candies). On some days, any of these games may surpass 4, or even 7 as they are more unique. Though in a vacuum where 6 does not exist, 7 is great.

Then comes SMP. It.. works. Great mechanic. I think this needs more time to brew to be rated accurately.

And finally we have 9 and 10. Unlike 7 which doesn't bring down 6 because those games are great, the existence of 10 actually brings down 9. Had the car mechanic only been done once, it may have actually made the weird trio group. But alas, we will never know. Shame, such a beautiful and well polished game. And 10 is 9 but worse. Of course worth a go for its unique modes, but if you've played all MP games you would know this applies to all MP.

And yes, MPS is king.

Sometimes you just don't have enough knowledge to make an informed decision and that's ok... I started reading your post with interest because it was well written and long and you said 10 is legitimately your favourite, then it turns out you haven't played the GameCube ones, the ones that people who have played them all actually typically rate the highest.
I mean, just because I haven’t played all the games yet doesn’t mean my opinion of 10 being the best to me is invalid. And given my personal interests and priorities when it comes to Mario Party, I highly doubt the GameCube games would surpass it for me, maybe with the exception of 7 since it apparently does have an 8-player mode (though locked to teams, unfortunately). Number of players is absolutely huge to me when to comes to party games like this, and the fact that nearly all Mario Party games only support up to four players is a big disappointment. It’s never fun when you have a group of, like, 5 or 6, maybe even 7 or 8 people and some are forced to sit out because your party game doesn’t support enough players for an actual party.

Also, I like how much speedier 9, 10, and Star Rush are compared to the other games. I hate how much of a drag most Mario Party games can be, and I think that’s probably one of the biggest reasons why I didn’t really get into the series until Wii.

Honestly, though, I’ll take Wii Party over Mario Party any day. Wish we could get a Nintendo Switch Party or Mii Party or whatever they’d call it on Switch, preferably with support for 8 players.

Nintendo Land is still the best party game above all else, though.

Mario Party 5 is my favorite.

Superstars could seriously be #1 if it would get some DLC (including GameCube era boards)

I don't understand the hate people have for Mario Party 8 other than "motion control bad". Honestly my favorite entry, and glad to hear it's still at #3.
the menus bring the pace to a crawl and the minigames are pretty mid with a few exceptions. the boards aren't that great either, aside from koopa's tycoon town which might still be the GOAT

also it has the fucking waggle taunt

I don't understand the hate people have for Mario Party 8 other than "motion control bad". Honestly my favorite entry, and glad to hear it's still at #3.

It’s ridiculously unpolished and blatantly unfinished. It was obviously a quickie port of a cancelled GCN game (as even a cursory glance at TCRF would show), with the motion controls hastily mapped to button presses.

The game runs at 30FPS on the boards, despite looking worse than every other GCN Mario Party, the game doesn’t support 16:9 and the board designs themselves are crap; devoid of interesting gimmicks or strategic opportunity. The game is ridiculously slow paced, the candy system is terrible and the minigames are utterly vile. It is the worst game in the entire series by a long shot and was so bad that it put the console series on ice for 5 years and facilitated a series gameplay reboot.

It’s ridiculously unpolished and blatantly unfinished. It was obviously a quickie port of a cancelled GCN game (as even a cursory glance at TCRF would show), with the motion controls hastily mapped to button presses.

The game runs at 30FPS on the boards, despite looking worse than every other GCN Mario Party, the game doesn’t support 16:9 and the board designs themselves are crap; devoid of interesting gimmicks or strategic opportunity. The game is ridiculously slow paced, the candy system is terrible and the minigames are utterly vile. It is the worst game in the entire series by a long shot and was so bad that it put the console series on ice for 5 years and facilitated a series gameplay reboot.
.....okay

Personally I never really noticed it being all that unpolished. It always felt fine to me (then again I was younger when I originally played it so maybe I just wasn't paying attention). I liked most of the mini-games, the boards were cool in my opinion (especially Koopa's Tycoon Town), and I thought candy was perfectly fine (in some ways I think I prefer them to the other items in the rest of the series).

Also 8 putting the series on ice because it was "bad" definitely isn't true lmao. It was the best selling main entry in the series at the time (and remained that way until the Switch entries). If anything they didn't need to make a new game because it was selling so well. Plus the series also had to switch devs in that timeframe because of completely unrelated issues.

The reason why the series went on a 5 year hiatus was because Hudson got dissolved into Konami at the time so there was no developer for the series but since many Hudson devs migrated to NDcube, that studio became the Mario Party devs since 2012.

Decided to check again and the rankings are still the same.
Which just further confirms it's not a reliable ranking. When 90% of votes are likely people who haven't updated their player cards and are "voting" for the default MP1, it completely warps the poll.

Hi, I decided to check the online rankings for Mario Party 1 to 10 in Mario Party Superstars which is gathered from what players have said is their favourite Mario Party and I'd thought to share it with the members of Famiboards and hear your thoughts on what the players have picked. I will be periodically updating this OP with new data as time goes on if anything changes the next time I play.

As of December 20th 2022:​

1. Mario Party (N64)
  2. Mario Party 2 (N64)
  3. Mario Party 8 (Wii)
  4. Mario Party 10 (Wii U)
  5. Mario Party 3 (N64)
  6. Mario Party 9 (Wii)
  7. Mario Party 5 (GC)
  8. Mario Party 4 (GC)
  9. Mario Party 6 (GC)
  10. Mario Party 7 (GC)
The fact that Mario Party 7 is last is kind of redonkulous. This poll is weighted because Gamecube Mario Parties sold less copies. Least bad minigames in the series in standard play: Mario Party 7. Best boards in the series: Mario Party 7 (better than 6 lol). Last place: Mario Party 7. Makes sense guys!

I don't agree with a lot of those picks. I mean, the original Mario Party is cool, but 2 and 3 are massive improvements over it.

8, 9, and 10 being above 5 and 6 is also absurd to me. 8 was pretty bland, the blandest of them all alongside 4 as far as I am concerned. And I was not a big fan of the mechanics of 9 and 10.

My personal order would be something like:

I like your list, but to me people who think that Mario Party 5 and 1 are better than 7 are off their rocker.

Interesting this thread got bumped tonight since I just played Mario Party for the first time in I think 15 years? Last one I played was Mario Party 8 and tonight I played Super Stars online with family. I still got it since I won with 7 stars in a 20 round game lol.

I think if I had to rank them I’d do 7 > 6 > 3 > 5 > 1 > 2 > 4 > 8 > GBA. The orb mechanic was definitely my favorite for Mario Party.

Gamecube ones are obviously the lowest because it sold the least. 4 and 5 are my favourites by far.

I'd say 4 > 5 > 7 > 3 > DS > 8 > 6 > 2 > 9 > Super Mario Party > GBA > 10

Back
Top Bottom