• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Croc is the next 90s mascot platformer to get a remaster

I still can't believe Nintendo rejected Argonaut's pitch of 3D Yoshi went on with the worst Yoshi game ever, Yoshi's Story. Rejected pitch had become Croc The Legend of Gobbos and skipped N64 release out of spite. Croc was one of the best 3D platformers in the heyday of the genre and deserves more than just a remaster. A Remake and a full sequel are needed!

i love the implication that Jez started work solely because of this article about if documenting gaming history is far too focused on Nintendo. (it is somewhat, but they immediately torpedo their example in seconds.)
Amazingly, both Croc and Banjo-Kazooie sold around the same number of copies, yet there are few people talking about Argonaut's character these days (which, ironically, started as a Nintendo-related project starring Yoshi).

This could be for several reasons, of course; Croc, despite being an old-school favourite with Sony fans, arguably isn't as good as Rare's title. It's also worth noting that selling three million copies on the PlayStation (total hardware sales: 102.49 million) isn't quite as grand an achievement as shifting the same number of units on the N64 (32.93 million consoles sold). Finally, it's worth remembering that Croc 2 only managed to sell half a million units, while Banjo-Tooie shifted 3 million – which might suggest that Argonaut's series ran out of steam much faster, while Rare's retained its audience.

I still can't believe Nintendo rejected Argonaut's pitch of 3D Yoshi went on with the worst Yoshi game ever, Yoshi's Story. Rejected pitch had become Croc The Legend of Gobbos and skipped N64 release out of spite. Croc was one of the best 3D platformers in the heyday of the genre and deserves more than just a remaster. A Remake and a full sequel are needed!
3D Yoshi with tank controls like Croc 1 has would have been something, that’s for sure.

Loved that game on my PC growing up. Never could beat the secret final boss.

Both Croc games are worse then Yoshi's Story, and Yoshi's story isn't even in the bottom half of Yoshi games.

Yoshi's Story is an amazingly cute little Game. Its only faults are not following a normative structure and straying from Yoshi's Island ethos.

Croc is a 3D platformer with tank controls.

Back
Top Bottom