• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Corn Kidz 64, an acclaimed throwback 3D platformer, is out now on Nintendo Switch

Decoyman

Bob-omb

Corn Kidz 64 released six months ago on Steam, developed by BogoSoft, Among notable throwback 3D indie platformers to release last year, this one was comparatively more under the radar compared to something like Pseudoregalia, but the user reception when it released was just as glowing. As of writing it sits at Overwhelmingly Positive reviews on Steam from 800 reviews. YouTuber Nitro Rad also called the game his GOTY of 2023.

The Switch version is out now courtesy of Diplodocus Games. Notably, this version of the game includes a unique controller layout for people who want to play with the Switch N64 controller.

The game isn't long but at $6.99 it's pretty cheap, and should be a good time if you're into these platformers.

I was just about to ask if it supports the N64 NSO controller, and it sounds like it does! That's awesome.

Whooo! Played a good chunk of this on PC when it came out, plan to finish it this time on Switch. Great aesthetics and character feel. A little obtuse in what you’re supposed to do to progress though. Still, the easiest recommend in the world for 7 bucks!

The PC version ran at 30FPS as well so it's at least not a hardware limitation, most likely just a developer decision to maintain the style of N64 platformers

For what its worth this game is made for 30fps, 240p. The last few years have broken gamers into thinking this is bad, when it comes to porting games to Switch fps and res cuts often are bad, but Corn Kidz 64 isn’t that type of thing. The game is entirely readable and aesthetically distinct, even at its low res. Its controls are responsive and camera movement is incredibly smooth, even at its framerate.

So embrace the blur filter, turn on scan lines, pick up your n64 controller with button camera controls. You’ll have a great time!

For what its worth this game is made for 30fps, 240p. The last few years have broken gamers into thinking this is bad, when it comes to porting games to Switch fps and res cuts often are bad, but Corn Kidz 64 isn’t that type of thing. The game is entirely readable and aesthetically distinct, even at its low res. Its controls are responsive and camera movement is incredibly smooth, even at its framerate.

So embrace the blur filter, turn on scan lines, pick up your n64 controller with button camera controls. You’ll have a great time!
If they "made the game for 30FPS" they sure seem to have some effed up priorities for a platformer!

N64 aesthetics are great, the framerates and slowdowns not so much. At some point there's a line in what should be emulated lol, Definitely agree with the poster that it isn't the best idea to target 30fps.
Well I genuinely like the look of 30fps soooo agree to disagree on where that line is 🤷

The priority was emulating the look and feel of an N64 game, which is not effed up if you're a fan of N64 aesthetics.
And why can't 60FPS be an option then, like (after looking it up) it is on the PC port? It's a terrible excuse for making an intentionally worse-feeling platformer than it could be otherwise.

N64 aesthetics are great, the framerates and slowdowns not so much. At some point there's a line in what should be emulated lol, Definitely agree with the poster that it isn't the best idea to target 30fps.

Yeah i’m not nearly as bothered by this as Ninty’s laughable batch of recent 30fps games with dips since the framerate here seems locked and the N64 pad support is cool, but not having the 60fps option from the pc ver is a bit silly. I’d probably go 30 when using the n64 controller though so I give huge props for that

Been getting into N64 collecting a lot lately and on my CRT TV most of my games dont bother me with how they look and feel, but there are games you pop in every now and then and you just know the framerate dips aren’t something they accounted for when designing it, usually multiplat games thrown hastily on the console

Wow the trailer looks like something actually released in 1997. And the music had some perfect dark vibes. Will put it on my wishlist for now

Did a full completion of the game!

QAHFgQc.png

15 hours altogether which is some pretty crazy bang for the buck (beat the main campaign at around 7 or 8), although I ran into the Banjo-Kazooie problem where I had to retrace a lot of steps because individual cubes and screws are often hid out of sight in some devious places. The Void Screws especially feel like they were hidden by someone who had a chip on their shoulder since childhood about how old 3D games would feature things like a texture looking like something you can enter, walls you feel like you should cross, or some objects out of the distance you should be able to reach. I don't blame anyone for using a guide to get to them, they are almost laughably devious and you need to be pretty inquisitive to check everything off the list.

Overall I greatly enjoyed the game and it's probably the first game I've played this year where I completely binged it from beginning to end. It's probably the closest a game has ever gotten to emulate both the feel and ambiance of a N64 game. The best way I can describe it design-wise is "Conker's Bad Fur Day but if it was actually designed around good platforming mechanics". The way the world works feels like it draws so much in particular from that game that it ends up feeling appropriately large despite being scant on world quantity. Like a poster above mentioned (and true to the game I compare it to), it can occasionally get obtuse on how to progress; an Any% run can likely be knocked out in two or three hours but on a blind run the game trusts you to be particularly attentive of hints given by Alexis and other characters. There's a nice sense of foreboding to accessing new areas which I quite like. There's a particular gauntlet level that's up there with the hardest that post-game 3D Mario has to offer, though since the controls have a bit of a learning curve to them and some unique conditional gimmicks (for example I'd forgotten that -- unlike wall jumping -- you don't need to wall cling on the rare Multijump Pads in order to jump off of it) it asks a lot from your mechanical mastery.

For the asking price I found this to be a steal and well worth the time of anyone who wants a game so evocative of the fifth gen era that it feels like lost media -- even if it's only to see the game through to its standard end credits.

Also, didn't expect to spot this cameo.

ZZICmJ8.png

Back
Top Bottom