• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Cooking & Baking — The Chaat Chat

Just found this thread, courtesy of one @chocolate_supra. Thanks, man.

So, this is my second time baking in the past few months and my 6th time in my life. Last night and today, I decided to bake some cookies. Yesterday at my job, there was this teen's program, where they made cookie dough and one the librarians in charge (I work in a library, btw) of the program handed me what was supposed to be 20 cookies' worth of dough with some instructions on baking them.

Attempt #1: Tld;dr: My first attempt last night ended in failure. I followed the instructions mostly until after the baking was finished, where I forgot to let them cool off. Oh, and I also baked them on aluminum foil with no non-stick cooking oil. I didn't take a picture when they were still on the pan and they fell apart, as I was trying to put them on the plate.

IMG_20240118_214013.jpg
IMG_20240118_214013.jpg

Those were supposed to be 4 cookies 🫤

Attempt #2: Tonight, I wanted to redeem myself, so I bought some parchment paper (which what I was apparently supposed to use) and tried again! These came out a lot better, albeit a tad lumpy and misshapen.

IMG_20240119_223652.jpg
IMG_20240119_223652.jpg

Mission was successful, so I wanted to make more.

Attempt #3: I....... got a little dangerous. I used the aluminum foil again, but this time with some vegetable oil to keep the cookies from sticking. I wound up using too much dough and a scooper (I used a spoon, earlier), the result was messier than what worked before...... One of the cookies got mixed in with the oil, probably should throw that out....... Baking took a bit longer, as they were bigger, but they came out alright. The monster cookies were a moderate success.

IMG_20240119_225504.jpg
IMG_20240119_225504.jpg

There was very little cookie dough left, but I had to make due for one more go.

Attempt #4: I used the last of the dough to make two more cookies. I defaulted back to the parchment paper and things were smooth sailing after that.

IMG_20240119_230836.jpg
IMG_20240119_230836.jpg

In Conclusion: I had a bit of fun with this. I've been wanting to cook more recently and this was definitely a learning experience I can add to my belt. I started with helping my mom with Thanksgiving dinner, baking macaroni and cheese and a velvet chocolate cake. I also made some pasta salad for my job's Christmas party and for my nephew's baby shower. I'm planning on sharing these cookies with my coworkers tomorrow (expect for the one mixed with cooking oil, of course). Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:
Any feedback is appreciated.
I don’t think you can improve much on this considering you’re using cookie dough you didn’t made, except maybe you could’ve cooked them a bit less (the second batch definitely seems 2/3 minutes overcooked for instance). Parchment paper is definitely the way to go to bake cookies! Also, based on the provided pictures, I think the cookie dough you used wasn’t perfect, so next time maybe try to make your own, it’s fairly easy!

Back in Middle School, there was a project for history class, where we needed to set up a funeral for a made up Ancient Egyptian royalty. We were assigned groups and we needed to embalm and bury a raw chicken (no salmonella, thankfully). One of us needed to bring in food for the service. I decided to bake an Egyptian Chocolate Pumpkin Cake. I made it again a year or so later, but I forgot what the occasion it was for, though it was definitely school related. I wanna make it again one of these days. I wanted to make on for the Christmas party, but there were already a bunch of desserts on the menu, so I went with pasta salad, instead.

I don’t think you can improve much on this considering you’re using cookie dough you didn’t made, except maybe you could’ve cooked them a bit less (the second batch definitely seems 2/3 minutes overcooked for instance). Parchment paper is definitely the way to go to bake cookies! Also, based on the provided pictures, I think the cookie dough you used wasn’t perfect, so next time maybe try to make your own, it’s fairly easy!
Yeah, I left the second batch in the oven for too long. I was busy with the third batch, that I lost track of time. Thanks for the dough recipe.

Easy Creamy Chorizo and Tortiglioni

PXL_20240121_234228108.MP.jpg

I absolutely misjudged how much more pasta 450g is over 300g like the recipe I had suggested, but now I know to dice up more chorizo and sun-dried tomatoes to make up for it
I'll be over in 10

Easy Creamy Chorizo and Tortiglioni

PXL_20240121_234228108.MP.jpg

I absolutely misjudged how much more pasta 450g is over 300g like the recipe I had suggested, but now I know to dice up more chorizo and sun-dried tomatoes to make up for it
If you have too much, I’ll take a to-go box, don’t worry

Hey so uh

👀

👀
Lmao oop, I have no idea where I found it but this is what I had copypasted into the notes in my phone:

INGREDIENTS
300g short pasta (mafalde, penne, macaroni, rigatoni, tortiglioni, etc.)
200g chorizo (roughly 2 chorizo), roughly diced
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 tsp garlic, freshly minced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped (optional)
1.5 cups thickened/heavy cream
Salt and pepper to season
1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, plus extra for garnish
Basil, for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS
1) Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, less 1-2 minutes. Reserve ½ cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain the pasta, rinse under cool running water and set aside.
2) Meanwhile, heat a large, deep, heavy based skillet on medium-high heat. Cook the chorizo for 3-4 minutes until crispy and golden.
3) Add the onion and garlic, cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes until softened.
4) Stir through the tomato paste and sun-dried tomatoes for 1 minute.
5) Add the cream, bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce has slightly thickened.
6) Stir through the Parmesan cheese and then season to taste with salt and pepper (I find I only need a very small amount of salt, ¼ of a teaspoon as the chorizo and parmesan are already very salty).
7) Add the cooked pasta and ½ cup of the reserved pasta water.
8) Sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese and basil leaves to serve.

I saw the title and thought this thread was about chaat. Disappointed it's just a pun. Has anybody here made chaat before?

I saw the title and thought this thread was about chaat. Disappointed it's just a pun. Has anybody here made chaat before?
I haven't, but I have made chaat masala and sprinkled it on all the veggie dishes.

Chaat itself seems reasonably straightforward. Maybe I will do this over the weekend.

I was always intimidated by the japanese cheesecake recipe but I finally did my first one today and not only it was easy, but also very good !

IMG-2598-copie.jpg
IMG-2599-copie.jpg

The recipe I used was in french so putting the link there if you wanna just Google translate it, but I found an english recipe who seem pretty similar, so you can use this one instead, I guess! Anyway don't be intimidated like me and try to do it, it's worth it!

I was always intimidated by the japanese cheesecake recipe but I finally did my first one today and not only it was easy, but also very good !

IMG-2598-copie.jpg
IMG-2599-copie.jpg

The recipe I used was in french so putting the link there if you wanna just Google translate it, but I found an english recipe who seem pretty similar, so you can use this one instead, I guess! Anyway don't be intimidated like me and try to do it, it's worth it!
YO

This looks fantastic! Nice work.

IMG-2598-copie.jpg
IMG-2599-copie.jpg

Oh I LOVE these, awesome work!

I'm beginning to thing chopped bellpeppers are magic.

I added them to my scrambled eggs, and they made my eggs amazing. I added them to my mac and cheese and they made my mac and cheese amazinger. I even went as far as to grab one of those boxes of Stouffer's microwavable mac and cheese (sorry cooks, but it is a childhood comfort for me) and skilleted up some of the chopped bellpeppers while zapping the mac, and just tossed them right in and stirred them up (then added the slap ya mama spice because it's me) and fucks sake it was the best thing I've had in a long time.

Magic, yall.

I'm beginning to thing chopped bellpeppers are magic.

I added them to my scrambled eggs, and they made my eggs amazing. I added them to my mac and cheese and they made my mac and cheese amazinger. I even went as far as to grab one of those boxes of Stouffer's microwavable mac and cheese (sorry cooks, but it is a childhood comfort for me) and skilleted up some of the chopped bellpeppers while zapping the mac, and just tossed them right in and stirred them up (then added the slap ya mama spice because it's me) and fucks sake it was the best thing I've had in a long time.

Magic, yall.
This is where I throw out literally all of my credibility and admit that I don't like bell peppers

That's fine! I don't like avocados! Pretty sure mine is more egregious than yours in many circles. 😅
I... don't like avocados either! high five (some guacamole is okay, oddly enough, although it's not my favorite)

On the Stouffer's Mac n' Cheese note: If you're in a rush and that's what you've got, I've found that adding some shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top adds a really nice extra bit of richness and depth to the flavor.

I... don't like avocados either! high five (some guacamole is okay, oddly enough, although it's not my favorite)

On the Stouffer's Mac n' Cheese note: If you're in a rush and that's what you've got, I've found that adding some shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top adds a really nice extra bit of richness and depth to the flavor.
Yessss I will sometimes do that but with white cheddar.

Boxed mac and cheese is just a canvas upon which I make my art.

I made some goulash today:
20240128_161421.jpg

20240128_161428.jpg

20240128_161432.jpg

20240128_162322.jpg

20240128_190138.jpg

Second time I made this since moving to the new place and it has turned out quite fine, though still a little too much liquid for my liking. Maybe somewhere down the line I'll try experimenting with more caramelized onions and skipping cayenne pepper for more smoked paprika. And since this is made in a dutch oven in the... oven, I think cutting down on extra water might be fine too.

I made a big ol cake to my 6 year old's exact specifications- three tiered, chocolate/red velvet/chocolate, vanilla frosting between layers, covered all around with fudge icing, an owl design on top sitting on a tree branch with the moon behind it.

I think I did alright (my wife helped with the design)

PXL_20240127_154302045.jpg

PXL_20240127_154832453.jpg

PXL_20240127_155417815.jpg

PXL_20240127_162325220.jpg

Don't be fooled, this is a thicc boy.

PXL_20240127_182325278.jpg

I call it my thicc owl cake.

I made a big ol cake to my 6 year old's exact specifications- three tiered, chocolate/red velvet/chocolate, vanilla frosting between layers, covered all around with fudge icing, an owl design on top sitting on a tree branch with the moon behind it.

Looks like yall had a hoot!

That is a slab, holy cow. Looks great!

Made an easy stir fry today:

20240204_192455.jpg

Recipe is as follows:

1 small pork cutlet (or any other protein of your choice, chicken breast or tenders are good here, maybe even diced tofu if you're not into meat)
vegetables of your choosing (the basic recipe used only a red pepper and a carrot, I cut the amount of these down to a third of a red pepper and half a small carrot and added some broccolini and baby corn)
1 Tbsp of rice vinegar (about 15ml)
1 Tbsp of soy sauce (about 15ml)
ginger - take a piece as thick as the upper part of your thumb - diced or grated
3 cloves garlic, diced or grated
sweet chilli sauce
some green from spring onions for garnish

Steps:
  1. Bring a pan with some cooking oil up to heat until it lightly starts smoking. Throw in the protein, cook for about 1-2 minutes from all sides. Set aside.
  2. Add some more cooking oil if necessary and start cooking your veggies until they're lightly caramelized (tip: throw some salt on top and just leave them covered for a minute or two), setting them aside
  3. Add in the diced garlic and ginger, cook until fragrant.
  4. Toss all the things you set aside back in and add the rice vinegar and soy sauce, simmer until it's about gone
  5. Throw the sweet chilli sauce on top until everything in the pan is about covered and heat through
  6. serve over rice and put the green parts of the spring onions on top for garnish

E85OCZ5.jpeg

Making fun of myself here
It's supposed to be self deprecating
add sesame oil, nori, and a green onion… then you’re set

also a little sriracha

you can add my method of fried brussels sprouts to it too and have a good time!

Used boneless, skinless chicken thighs
everytime I see someone or some recipe mentioning those I'm so jealous, it would save me so much time if stores here would sell boneless chicken thighs. Anyway, recipe looks good! I think I'll try it next week

everytime I see someone or some recipe mentioning those I'm so jealous, it would save me so much time if stores here would sell boneless chicken thighs. Anyway, recipe looks good! I think I'll try it next week
I mean, bone-in, skin-on do have better flavor! But it is convenient.

haven’t posted a ton in here but I just wanted to say that I’ve been trying new things!

love that this is still going!
  • vegetarian scallops via marinated King Oyster Mushrooms that came out tasty
  • homemade fettuccine to accompany the dish!
  • sublime mac & cheese by getting a grip on a roux — it made house brand mediocre shred mozzarella taste like GOOD cheese
  • and this weekend I’m going to try making approximation Jimmy John’s bread (don’t have them here) and a veggie sandwich with eggplant and zucchini!

I would love a little more info on this! Sounds fantastic.
loosely followed this recipe, with lots of room for adjustment and interpretation:

I let them marinate in the morning — but I think night before is a little better

8YrrmEs.jpeg

I gave them fork holes like steak. I don’t know why. Probably wasn’t necessary.

wish I had added a little bit of brown sugar to the marinade, tbh

also, it calls for olive oil, but I feel like there has to be a better oil out there…

(kind defeats the purpose, but fish oil would be very funny)

I frequently use sesame oil because it makes everything taste better — subbed in a little with the olive oil

I frequently use sesame oil because it makes everything taste better
Alright, well, now I trust you with anything culinary. Sesame flavour is the bomb in all forms. I should go buy some halvah for dessert...

I'm going to try this for suresie. I always fork things when I marinate too! 🙌🏻

I find that the biggest roadblock for people getting into cooking is essentially analysis paralysis. You look at a recipe and it might call for several ingredients you don't even own. And if you buy a whole container of something just to use a little for the recipe, now you're left with a whole bunch that you don't know what to do with.

So if you're interested in learning how to cook, I would actually say that there is absolutely no shame in starting with one of the delivery services such as Hello Fresh and their ilk! You'll get the exact amounts required so there's no food waste, you can keep the recipes you get from them, and once you've made enough you'll start seeing the overlap in ingredients and figuring out which dishes you're able to make with whatever you have on hand.

One of the biggest tips I can give though is that recipes are really just a guideline (except for baking lol, those you pretty much gotta follow to the letter). Beginners will look at complex instructions calling for like a dozen different ingredients, get intimidated and think they can't make it if they're missing even a couple. But most dishes have a main flavor component that's mostly comprised of a few key ingredients, and a lot of the extras can be subbed out or even fully omitted. Will you lose a tiny bit of background complexity? Maybe, but it's better than buying a ton of stuff you'll only use a tiny portion of, only for the rest to expire in the back of your fridge or pantry.

Bonus: pic of a seafood boil I did last weekend with the fam

Question for the Famikitchen!!

I volunteered to throw together some simple (boxed) mac and cheese for a birthday this weekend, and I have a thing I do where I tend to skillet up some diced bell peppers and green onions to add in. BUT I've done this for parties before and have had a problem with the final product cooling and congealing a little bit during the drive, so I asked if it'd be okay if I could reserve a spot on the stove at the host's house to boil the water and just make it there. I got the OK for that but then thought about the veggies and realized I don't wanna take up two burners if I can help it. Plus sauteing onions and peppers at someone else's house might not be, like, polite. 😅

SO

I was wondering, if I were to saute the veggies before I leave and transport them in a container (lined with paper towels and unsealed because of hot steam) would they be okay for, say, an hour or so while I drive out (15mins) and set up and boil the mac (maybe 30-40mins)?

Normally at home I just screw around with food but being at someone's house taking up kitchen space I wanna be better prepared and the more I can prep ahead of time the better, so.. what do yall think?

Back
Top Bottom