• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Compile Heart is collaborating with SEGA to do a proper revival of Madou Monogatari (the precursor to Puyo Puyo)

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
Compile-Heart-Games_10-05-23_Madou-Monogatari-4_001.jpg

Compile-Heart-Games_10-05-23_Madou-Monogatari-4_003.jpg

buried in a restructuring announcement alongside several other upcoming titles.
Madou Monogatari 4 is the first new numbered entry in the RPG series Madou Monogatari after several decades, developed by Sting in cooperation with intellectual property holder D4 Enterprise. It will launch for unannounced platforms in summer 2024 in Japan.

Many former Compile staff are involved in the game’s development, including Sting’s president. SEGA is also cooperating, allowing the use of familiar characters such as those from its Puyo Puyo series.

to briefly recap the legal situation. Madou Monogatari was an RPG released in 1990 by Compile, the team of which would create a puzzle game spin-off called "Puyo Puyo" in 1991.
Puyo quickly eclipsed the RPG in popularity. to the point that when Compile was having financial issues (and eventually went bankrupt) they were able to sell it to SEGA.
the remnants of Compile, however. kept everything relating to Madou Monogatari that wasn't added to Puyo Puyo. such as the title.
while D4 (currently the owners of Compile's back catalog) and SEGA were able to work out deals ensuring the previous titles could get re-released, their last attempt at making a "new" Madou Monogatari game used a drastically different setting & characters unrelated to the ones that ended up becoming the faces of Puyo Puyo.

this proper installment marks the first time those characters have appeared in their original series since 1998.

The fact that Sega is letting them play ball with the IP to get a true sequel to the classic games is extremely cool. I'm not a big dungeon crawler person, and I'm bad at Puyo, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out for the sake of the legacy alone.

My expectations for this are at absolute rock bottom.

Yeah, consider me skeptical at best. Sorry, I want to believe, and I love this series, but the last release (Sei Madou Monogatari) doesn't inspire any confidence in me whatsoever.

The art style is obviously not going to be like SEGA's Puyo Puyo series, which might be a good thing for those fans who dislike it. Also since this is the main Compile cast, that would likely go over well to those who view Compile's handling of Puyo Puyo as the superior one.

If I would personally ask of something for this new game? That would be for the Primp Town characters from Puyo Puyo Fever to appear in some form, as a form of unification between the different worlds. So like it would be fun to see what Amitie or Sig are like in the original series. After all, the Primp Town characters have their own monsters or demons so it's not totally out there for them to appear in this sort of game (I hope).

Thank you for reading.

yeah count me under the 'not a lot of faith' column lol

tho to be somewhat fair to compile heart i guess, i have heard relatively ok things about mary skelter, and that is a DPRG so maybe they have SOME chops? prolly just wishful thinking lol. the bulk of their out put (neptunia) inspires exactly zero confidence and thats not even counting the weird madou monogatari spin off roguelike curry game they put on the vita.

Uhh what? Puyo Puyo is much older than that.

There are Puyo Puyo games on the MSX and Famicom Disk System and they were released on 19...OH MY GOD!!

I thought Puyo Puyo games were created in the 80s.

I have faith considering it's being developed by Sting and not Compile Heart or Fellistela (and even son CH has gotten really better with the dungeon crawling in Mary Skelter)

Curry God was not good (and I like Compile Hearts's games), but this may be fine. Waiting for more information though.

Back
Top Bottom