• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Chris Dring deleted his twitter after harassment campaign (Update: Back on Twitter, see threadmark)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, all harassment is unacceptable. That said, he definitely didn't conduct himself in the best manner, from the "C-Team" comments to his interaction with people on Twitter, so perhaps some time away from the hellscape of social media might be best for him. I suspect this was caused by his comments on Xbox sales, which weren't particularly inflammatory, so of all the things to cause him to take a break, I'm surprised it was that.

"Metroid isn't a big seller" = easily provable, understandable, not a big deal

"I revealed to the world Metroid isn't a big seller" = a bit arrogant, a bit self-aggrandizing, will likely draw ire due to tone

Again, I'm not trying to suggest the dude should be harassed, but the way he spoke on social media really seemed to me like he was trying to put himself on a pedestal.

I read the sentence as clear irony, as in he only repeated something everyone already knew, so it's extra ridiculous people would get in their feelings about it.

Maybe he's just doing what everyone should and deleted Twitter for better mental health

I read the sentence as clear irony, as in he only repeated something everyone already knew, so it's extra ridiculous people would get in their feelings about it.
I can speak from experience that not everyone knows that Metroid isn't a big seller.

Of course, all harassment is unacceptable. That said, he definitely didn't conduct himself in the best manner, from the "C-Team" comments to his interaction with people on Twitter, so perhaps some time away from the hellscape of social media might be best for him. I suspect this was caused by his comments on Xbox sales, which weren't particularly inflammatory, so of all the things to cause him to take a break, I'm surprised it was that.
I feel like everyone reacting to the C team comments are so incredibly sensitive. They're STILL being brought up, in this thread. I'm a Nintendo fan, and when I heard them, I was like, whatever. But this is fucking embarrassing.

"I revealed to the world Metroid isn't a big seller" = a bit arrogant, a bit self-aggrandizing, will likely draw ire due to tone

Again, I'm not trying to suggest the dude should be harassed, but the way he spoke on social media really seemed to me like he was trying to put himself on a pedestal.
Can’t help but feel anyone who takes ire with the second statement is a dweeb who should log off than harass people on social media, but that would be too easy, I suppose.

I feel like everyone reacting to the C team comments are so incredibly sensitive. They're STILL being brought up, in this thread. I'm a Nintendo fan, and when I heard them, I was like, whatever. But this is fucking embarrassing.

I don't really care about the comments - I'm certainly not offeneded like some Nintendo fans were! - but of his recent controversies it remains the one a lot of people remember. It broadly sums up his attitude on social media; a little disingenous and not always engaging in good faith.

kinda ironic talking about how the "c-team" meme should have died but no one bats an eye at "trust the process" that's been going on for about a year now which equally stopped being funny a long time ago
Trust the process is about believing an unreleased game will be good and also not a joke even if people made largely positive jokes around it. C-Team jokes were continual dunking on one guy for a bad take.

There’s a night and day difference between the two with no element of irony in play if someone wanted to see less jokes made with a real person as a punchline.

kinda ironic talking about how the "c-team" meme should have died but no one bats an eye at "trust the process" that's been going on for about a year now which equally stopped being funny a long time ago
As one of the "figureheads" of the Trust The Process movement on Fami, I'm not seeing the equivalence here. The obsession with Dring's C-team comment ultimately comes down to people roasting one dude for a misguided social media comment, in (at times) a rent-free sort of way. By contrast, "Trust The Process" has nothing to do with bringing down one person, or anyone, for that matter. It's instead a generally positive mantra intended to keep things hopeful and lighthearted, particularly for Metroid fans. It's not funny in the same way phrases like "TGIF" or "This is the way" aren't funny: humor isn't the goal, a shared sense of community is. Trust The Process.

EDIT: @xghost777 beat me to it as I was typing this up! lol
When people are calling statements like “Metroid isn’t a big seller” inflammatory, it doesn’t really do much to dispel the notion that Nintendo fans are insecure and looking to pick fights.
I think those who'd find offense in such statements would benefit from having a sensory experience with my building's front lawn. Metroid is dope, few would deny that, but its sales have always fallen somewhere on a scale of "good by Metroid standards", to "mid", all the way down to "absolutely dire".

When people are calling statements like “Metroid isn’t a big seller” inflammatory, it doesn’t really do much to dispel the notion that Nintendo fans are insecure and looking to pick fights.
its not nintendo fans i would say most playstation , pc, nintendo , xbox and even that on playdate guy are all mostly nice.

but capital G gamer son the internet ruin it for everyone, doesn't matter which console they support, they'll always suck.

if you really stop and think about that whole "C team" thing yeah it's a clownish comment and rightfully got mocked for that but also it's kinda just a shitty thing in general to immedietely shift to shitting on a games devs just because you don't want to admit to being wrong about something

its not nintendo fans i would say most playstation , pc, nintendo , xbox and even that on playdate guy are all mostly nice.

but capital G gamer son the internet ruin it for everyone, doesn't matter which console they support, they'll always suck.
I don't think it's meaningful to make a differentiation here with "most Nintendo fans are nice." I'm a Nintendo fan. I wouldn't be posting on this forum if I wasn't. My point is moreso that the perception of the Nintendo fan exists for a reason.

I asked days ago, but where did the phrase Trust the Process come from?
The phrase itself is pretty old, but it was widely popularized as the official mantra of the Philadelphia 76ers basketball team. I don't keep up with sports, but I loved how it sounded, so I started incorporating it into my speech. It felt to me like the perfect thing to remind myself of and keep spirits high when it came to my favorite series, Metroid, and particularly Prime 4. I didn't consciously mean for it to become a widely adopted thing on Fami (sorry to all the folks who find it annoying!), but people seemed to like it, and now it's part of the culture.

That really just sounds more like him responding to another tweet mentioning the BS he got for bringing it up.

There are far too many people that seem eager to put words in his mouth even if he occasionally does say something harsh or not well-thought. Like mentioning that Metroid isn't a big seller isn't a controversial statement unless you're a Metroid fan that lives in a bubble.

The phrase itself is pretty old, but it was widely popularized as the official mantra of the Philadelphia 76ers basketball team. I don't keep up with sports, but I loved how it sounded, so I started incorporating it into my speech. It felt to me like the perfect thing to remind myself of and keep spirits high when it came to my favorite series, Metroid, and particularly Prime 4. I didn't consciously mean for it to become a widely adopted thing on Fami (sorry to all the folks who find it annoying!), but people seemed to like it, and now it's part of the culture.
Thanks! I honestly thought it had to do with Netflix’s Brasilian series: 3%

And the process led to the GM being hated by millions of fans and run out of town as ultimately unsuccessful…

I don't think it's meaningful to make a differentiation here with "most Nintendo fans are nice." I'm a Nintendo fan. I wouldn't be posting on this forum if I wasn't. My point is moreso that the perception of the Nintendo fan exists for a reason.
maybe it shard to understand what i mean because of how I write it
sorry. anyway

Big write up on how the internet by desings creates these kind of sitations, maybe more of a slightly anyaltic rant though.
grammer is a mess sorry it kinda starts abruptly becaus eijust cut a whole paragrapph out becaus eit was pointless fluff but it kinda ruined the flow but i didnt wanna rewrite it but hey this isnt work so who cares you'll figure it out anyway.
if one goes "eww stinky nintendo fan", they are the "eww stinky X fan" as to perceive one or the other as worse for looking a different sytem, means you equated the system with your own morality and lifestyle.

to anyone not on twitter not being a fan of X game should not also mean that, you are worse a person for not liking a game that i do.

thats the people which harbour his replies. twitter console warriors.

most video game fans, dont engage there, and the majoirty dont engage online at all, and these ideas dont exist to them becuase they dont see games as a way of life to the point where your box selling less is a valid reason to attack someone, they just dont even think about their box selling at all.

that perception only exists among people with the exact same perception by others, weird gamers who take everything way to seriosly for what is, just video games, one pretty unimportant aspect of life.

we talk about them because we like them, but most of us have a degree of seperation.

Chris saying metroid sells bad or xbox sells bad or X sells bad or hell anything selling bad they see it as a personal attack agasint them.

they dont just like X thing, their life revovles around X thing, and by saying an unpleasant truth about X thing, to them it appears that chris is trying to demean X thing, and thats why theres harrassment and such. Tribalism exasterbated by their own social circumstances.

in this circumstance, most people dont care for news of sales, ones that dont care much about it but still find it intersitng wil lsee the post and move on, the replies will just be full of toxicity becasue on a wide reaching platform that isnt a niche forum with memebr coutns below a million, on tiwtter the only people who would be intersted in what sells are console warrios, you often get sane replies mixed in, but the vast majority of people dont care about sales data to examine the market but rather care aboiut it as a metric to compare which is better.

add on top of that twitters mass unbanning of weirdos and you have a breeding ground for toxicity. and anyone who actually partakes in disussion will also be harassed, thus most people just wont. this is who a minority seems much louder and more relevant than it actually is.

in general thats the problem with the enitre internet communication, a discssion mad ein good faith with 10 people can be isntantly derailed by one bad actor. its why moderators exist (and on some sites more than others, mods do a good job here) but on platformers with basssically no moderation (twitter) plus anynimity they can go unchecked and everyone who actualy wants to partake in any sort of good faith discusiion will just leave becuase its futile.

look at the recent zhuge sales confirmation, what he directly eplied to was a person partaking in a internet culuture war, tifas boobs were so big so woke go broke whatever, thats the level of discssion around there. a games sales is just ammunition for "the west is falling, females bad grahhhh"

its what makes talking about video games outside of small reddit subs, forums and discords pretty awful, the people their are bots and fans who from the outset are only their to fight and argue.

from a sales perespecitve zhuge, matt piscella and chirs are inavlable, they make a lot of hard to get knwoeldge avialble publicly, and the best palce to get it out is on twitter generally, but the first people to greet them with whatveer they have to say come prepared to fight over it. its not 100% and soemtimes if its series that harcore fans dont get too hot and heavy about discussion on there can be pretty tolerable. But either way its defintly not great on the mind to keep on seeing that over and over.[SPOILER/]

On the bright side, based Joel Embiid is easily among the best players in the league right now.
Honestly it isn’t much different than what the thunder (fuck em btw) did. It’s just they couldn’t get over the jump and then ruined the roster construction after that.

The C-team comments was just another indicator to me that Dring didn't really have any credible information about Nintendo's lineup in 2023. Remember, around this time, multiple sites and people in the game press were saying that Nintendo was skipping E3 because it didn't have any "big" titles after Tears of the Kingdom. Dring was pretty adamant about that. However, E3 was eventually cancelled because multiple companies, not just Nintendo, didn't participate. He said Nintendo would have a Direct in June only for Nintendo announce a Direct for June. Then Mario Wonder was announced. Obviously, a 10+ million seller would be a considered a big title by most people. But Dring stuck do his guns by saying it wasn't a big title because it would sell millions over time and not at all at once and that it wouldn't sell Switch consoles. It was pretty obvious he was attempting to move the goal posts of what was considered a big game so he could be right and in that context is when his C-team comment came up. Of course, Mario Wonder ended up being one of the best games of the year. It gets memed upon because Dring spent months arguing with fans and insisting he was right to cover his tracks. Ultimately, it was pretty clear to me that his info about Nintendo's 2023 lineup was just flat out wrong and he couldn't bring himself to admit that.

Not that any of this justifies him getting harassed. No doubt many people took things way too far and sent him some nasty comments. I think it's perfectly healthy to be critical of people in the media when they get things wrong and especially when they double and triple down when the facts say otherwise. Dring was reporting wrong information and he most definitely writes articles in a manner that highlights specific narratives he's trying to push. At the very least, a conversation about that is absolutely permitted. There are ways to have a civil conversation about these things. But remember to not make things personal and of course absolutely do not harass anyone. It's just stupid toys after all.

Also, just stay off Twitter. That's good advice for anyone who doesn't want their brain to rot.

Inflammatory wasn't the right choice of words there, sorry about that. The tweet reads as him gloating, even if it's in a jokey, ironic sort of way, so I thought some people might have been offended by it even if there's nothing to be really offended about, that's all.

Inflammatory wasn't the right choice of words there, sorry about that. The tweet reads as him gloating, even if it's in a jokey, ironic sort of way, so I thought some people might have been offended by it even if there's nothing to be really offended about, that's all.
It's not even gloating. It's him saying in a colorful way that he had an experience similar to Ahmad for making a statement about Metroid sales.

Please, for the love of god. He is not bragging, gloating, or being inflammatory. If anything, he's being mildly sarcastic.

My favorite part of the lore is that you adopted this phrase without knowing fully how things went for Philadelphia!

I guess if someone really wanted to do a bad faith reading of the tweet, they can get that out it (and it's Twitter, so it's gonna happen), but in context, it's pretty clear that he's just going "Yeah, I can relate."

My favorite part of the lore is that you adopted this phrase without knowing fully how things went for Philadelphia!

Trust the Process on Famiboards also kind of ignores that Philly was tanking for better part of that process. That would be like Nintendo putting out Other M 2, Other M 3, Other M4...etc. in the hopes that Metroid Prime 4 will eventually come out and be fantastic.

Trust the Process on Famiboards also kind of ignores that Philly was tanking for better part of that process. That would be like Nintendo putting out Other M 2, Other M 3, Other M4...etc. in the hopes that Metroid Prime 4 will eventually come out and be fantastic.
I would give everything I have for this to happen.

It's not even gloating. It's him saying in a colorful way that he had an experience similar to Ahmad for making a statement about Metroid sales.

Please, for the love of god. He is not bragging, gloating, or being inflammatory. If anything, he's being mildly sarcastic.
I guess if someone really wanted to do a bad faith reading of the tweet, they can get that out it (and it's Twitter, so it's gonna happen), but in context, it's pretty clear that he's just going "Yeah, I can relate."
I reread it and yeah my bad, I thought reeling meant like "I'm still feeling that high of when I revealed Metroid isn't a big seller". English isn't my native language so please understand.

Philadelphia mentioned.

5c2e8cdedde867452c3c2fbb

C-team is a humorous joke, which actually reflects the discrimination and ignorance of certain game genres in the gaming media and has good universality. This meme is not actually aggressive, but rather makes Dring a legend.

I think the blame for Dring mainly comes from his selective reporting and opaque data. Look at Fami's weekly sales, no one will blame or harass Fami.

This behavior has created a thriving atmosphere in the gaming industry, where when a game performs poorly, most people can only shut up or be criticized. In my opinion, Dring is not harassed for pointing out poor game performance, but rather for always finding excuses for poor game performance.

Please let this be a reminder to all that behind every slightly spicy take you read online there's a real human being, and that sometimes it's best to learn to let silly comments go rather than use them as a continuous cudgel to beat someone with.

…why should I care? Some guy threw meat to hungry sharks, and the sharks bit back. Are we going to get mad that sharks like to bite?

It’s modern day Twitter (or i’m sorry… X) combined with incessant Nintendo fanbases. It’s a toxic cesspool of sludge no matter what. And it’s controlled by a real life supervillian megalomaniac who encourages this kind of behavior, because muh engagement.

Deleting your account over it isn’t worth it (unless you’re deleting it to get some healthy time away from Twitter, which actually IS worth it)
You should care because one of the few voices we had providing us with accurate sales data has been harrassed off their account because fanboys couldn't handle the objective truth his data was providing. That in turn makes the industry less transparent with us kept in the dark as to how games and consoles are performing. It also makes our job of correcting the rabid console warriors even harder, which adds to the toxic feedback loop.

We all know TwitterXtreme or whatever it ends up being called has become even more of a cess pit, but I don't believe the answer is to shrug our shoulders and victim blame those who decide to stay. We need people like Chris to provide us with information that educate us, and him having to leave for his own mental sake is something to genuinely lament, not go 'Well it's his fault for sticking with Elon.'

I trust Aurc, and Aurc trusts the Process.

Feels really weird to come into a thread about someone being harassed off twitter to air your grieavances about silly memes.

Either way, I trust the C-team.

Chris explains account deactivation New
new twitter thread

Hello there.

So I deactivated my Twitter account the other day. I didn't think anyone would notice for a while. I've been trying to wean myself off it and I've got a lot going on at the moment. So I thought closing it down for a bit would be a good idea/experiment

I do get some stick from fanboys. It comes with the territory of reporting sales. I know some of the industry's top analysts get it on here, too. I've had fans of all 3 consoles trawl through my tweets looking for confirmation of my bias (ignoring anything that contradicts it)

But I don't write for these people. I don't give them any thought when it comes to what I talk about or share. I don't read forum posts about me, I don't even see 99% of the tweets. So no, I didn't deactivate my account because of any perceived harrassment

I wanted to set that straight. I honestly didn't think you'd notice until it came to charts time. I've had some very lovely comments. It's super kind. I love this business, and I am sure I'll be back shortly to share some articles, some data and maybe some news

And, of course, to hate that console you think I hate

Since Chris Dring is back on Twitter and has explained the situation we are locking this thread. - Dardan Sandiego, Zellia, NabiscoFelt, BassForever, meatbag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom