• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Chris Dring deleted his twitter after harassment campaign (Update: Back on Twitter, see threadmark)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggyrivers

thunder
Pronouns
He/him/his
There’s no oficial statement (or I haven’t seen one), but his account isn’t displaying and Twitter is basically parroting he deleted due to alleged harassment from Xbox fans (and Nintendo fans as well).

No matter what straw broke the camel's back, it's so fucking embarassing how Nintendo fans acted about that. I said here multiple times people needed to let it go, but people are so butthurt.
Dude made dumb comments before but he doesn't seem like a bad guy, and his data was useful. Wtf to all these fanbases is all I have to say.

I assume that the "C Team" jokes became far too malicious, but what prompted overreactive hate from the Sony and Xbox camps?

It was all fanboys/twitter in general. Maybe some PS fanboy recent activity broke the camels back, but I have seen pathetic behavior from all walks directed at sales analyst that post on Twitter.

No matter what straw broke the camel's back, it's so fucking embarassing how Nintendo fans acted about that. I said here multiple times people needed to let it go, but people are so butthurt.
Dude made dumb comments before but he doesn't seem like a bad guy, and his data was useful. Wtf to all these fanbases is all I have to say.
No one was butthurt. He made a ridiculous comment and everyone memed it to oblivion but he wasn't harassed or bullied over it.

You are right though, he wasn't ill-intentioned. He mentioned in a couple of tweets how he pretty much only plays Nintendo stuff.

It’s all alleged, but after that Mario C Team comment, his own take would sparkle memes in his replies

Alleged by who? Not saying he wasn't targeted by Nintendo fans or Xbox fans (there's a high chance that he was) but I think people should provide more than just saying it was alleged and then providing no proof, source, context, or whatever.

No one was butthurt. He made a ridiculous comment and everyone memed it to oblivion but he wasn't harassed or bullied over it.

You are right though, he wasn't ill-intentioned. He mentioned in a couple of tweets how he pretty much only plays Nintendo stuff.
The toxic stuff was msotly on twitter

Anyway speculation over this is pointless.

This type of behaviour is so incredibly sad and disgusting to witness from fans. If you disagree with the mans takes ignore him. I was never a fan of some of his takes but harassing someone over something as insignificant as video game sales is just disgusting.

Just from browsing, I take he's got access to market data regarding Xbox and pissed off some enthusiasts when he shared some of it? OP should share some small background at least.

"I am still reeling from the time I revealed to the world Metroid isn't a big seller."

It seems like that was his last tweet, alongside a bunch of replies.

No one should get upset over that but it's still a weirdly inflammatory comment.

"I am still reeling from the time I revealed to the world Metroid isn't a big seller."

No one should get upset over that but it's still a weirdly inflammatory comment.
Which part is inflammatory? The Metroid stuff?

idk idk i really don't think the harassment or final straw is people making fun of him over his mario comments, the xbox/ps sales stuff is way uglier and gets the fanboys really heated.

idk idk i really don't think the harassment or final straw is people making fun of him over his mario comments, the xbox/ps sales stuff is way uglier and gets the fanboys really heated.
Hey man knowing which box is getting more sales will always get ugly, like look at the FF7 rebirth debacle.

If I were even remotely famous I would never look at my comments and just ask a few friends to check my tweets to make sure I didn't say something incendiary. Engaging with randoms on social media is a mistake.

If I were even remotely famous I would never look at my comments and just ask a few friends to check my tweets to make sure I didn't say something incendiary. Engaging with randoms on social media is a mistake.
And nowadays you can select tweets to not have anyone reply

I‘m so glad that I can spill out my uninformed opinions on this forum. On Twitter I would have been already canceled 5 times by the Gamers, the Nintendo Fanbase and people who like Trains and I‘m only half joking that I would have that much attention as some random dude in the internet.

…why should I care? Some guy threw meat to hungry sharks, and the sharks bit back. Are we going to get mad that sharks like to bite?

It’s modern day Twitter (or i’m sorry… X) combined with incessant Nintendo fanbases. It’s a toxic cesspool of sludge no matter what. And it’s controlled by a real life supervillian megalomaniac who encourages this kind of behavior, because muh engagement.

Deleting your account over it isn’t worth it (unless you’re deleting it to get some healthy time away from Twitter, which actually IS worth it)

it is twitter. The toxicity is 10 fold whatever forums like this push. I am definitely guilty of being harsh over the c-team nonsense and see it as a meme now, kinda like the "too much water" joke BUT I couldn't be fucked to take that to twitter directly to him.

I'm not sure there really is a point in having a twitter account, especially in gaming unless you completely detach from it once you post a story.

I don't think it is either but either way the way a lot of people acted wasn't acceptable

You're leaving out context which makes it seem worse than it is
He was replying to Daniel Ahmad commenting about Final Fantasy weirdos being mad at him for simply stating facts and Chris responded with that
He's saying that he's reeling from the fact people attacked him for making common observations about the series, not that he tried to bait people into being mad because it wasn't a big seller
Screenshot_20240415-112050.png

Again I don't think this is why he left twitter, but it's very selective reading to just act like he's always being purposely inflammatory

I'm having a hard time seeing this as inflammatory. I'd say it's like... mildly passive-aggressive, if that.

I can understand the argument that X's algorithm heavily predisposes users to content contrary to what they consume and also promote negativity, but that doesn't excuse people for being nasty, whether or not Dring made inflammatory or passive aggressive comments

Why is there some kind of weird victim blaming going on here?
Sales data stuff and stuff adjacent to brings out the shitty people and weird takes (see the PS2 and FFVII were never popular takes from the most famitsu data charts for example)

Yeah the tone of this thread is strange. As far as I can tell this dude just posted about sales on Twitter and apparently that makes it open season on him?
Hiding most of this because it turned into a wall, but:

There's a little bit more to it than that, at least as far as the Nintendo stuff goes. Last year he and another reporter made statements on Twitter that Nintendo had no Switch games left after TotK, which was taken as being a bit odd because saying you've heard about games that are coming is one thing, but saying you know no games are coming sorta insinuates a deep knowledge of Nintendo's pipeline that nobody really should have. It seemed a bit arrogant to some that he would make statements that'd require that he knows every single game Nintendo is planning on releasing that year, six months in advance. Again, a bit odd, but not a biggie.

Then it started getting worse when other people, independent of him or his statements, would express excitement on twitter about what Nintendo might have coming in H2 2023 and he'd tweet them back insisting there's nothing. People would tweet about how maybe Nintendo has some stuff coming that we haven't heard about and he'd tweet at them with stuff like "Nope." He was literally going out of his way to quote tweet random people and say no, they're wrong, Nintendo has nothing, like he said.

Then Mario Wonder was unveiled. He almost immediately jumped up and moved the goalposts saying that what his statements actually meant was Nintendo had no "big" games coming (understandable), and that Mario Wonder wasn't a big game and that's why his statement was still correct. As though he knew about Wonder all along but knew it was not worth mentioning when he made the statement that Nintendo was done after TotK.

When people pointed out that Mario games tend to be pretty huge and that he was, again, being a bit arrogant in how he was speaking like he already knew the scope of the game and how it would sell, he then made the statement that he knew Mario Wonder was being made by "Nintendo's C-Team", and that it therefore was going to be a smaller, lesser quality game because of it.

Then Wonder came out and it was fantastic, extremely high quality, sold great, and in response to that he started tweeting insisting what he actually meant by that statement was that even Nintendo's lesser teams can make fantastic games that move units, and started reframing the "C-Team" term as a compliment, as though he always meant it that way.

Then it was made known that literally the people who made the original Super Mario Bros games were on the Wonder staff, and the insinuation at all that it was made by "the C-Team" became ridiculous in hindsight, and got meme'd to hell and back.

So

I do not, do not, think harassment campaigns are cool. I do not think people should be attacked or bullied or harassed. I think that sucks. But if the question is why it seems like some people here are viewing this from a less-than-charitable angle, it's because he actively sought out tweets where people were saying things that didn't line up with his predictions (that he was framing as facts that he knew) to "correct" them, and when his predictions kept being proven wrong he moved goalposts and doubled- and tripled- down in order to continue being "right," and continued framing himself as the guy who knew all along what Nintendo had cooking for that year. Which is pretty dang close to the types of actions that people really don't like about "insider culture," and doesn't exactly foster goodwill.

There's a little bit more to it than that, at least as far as the Nintendo stuff goes. Last year he and another reporter made statements on Twitter that Nintendo had no Switch games left after TotK, which was taken as being a bit odd because saying you've heard about games that are coming is one thing, but saying you know no games are coming sorta insinuates a deep knowledge of Nintendo's pipeline that nobody really should have. It seemed a bit arrogant to some that he would make statements that'd require that he knows every single game Nintendo is planning on releasing that year, six months in advance. Again, a bit odd, but not a biggie.

Then it started getting worse when other people, independent of him or his statements, would express excitement on twitter about what Nintendo might have coming in H2 2023 and he'd tweet them back insisting there's nothing. People would tweet about how maybe Nintendo has some stuff coming that we haven't heard about and he'd tweet at them with stuff like "Nope." He was literally going out of his way to quote tweet random people and say no, they're wrong, Nintendo has nothing, like he said.

Then Mario Wonder was unveiled. He almost immediately jumped up and moved the goalposts saying that what his statements actually meant was Nintendo had no "big" games coming (understandable), and that Mario Wonder wasn't a big game and that's why his statement was still correct. As though he knew about Wonder all along but knew it was not worth mentioning when he made the statement that Nintendo was done after TotK.

When people pointed out that Mario games tend to be pretty huge and that he was, again, being a bit arrogant in how he was speaking like he already knew the scope of the game and how it would sell, he then made the statement that he knew Mario Wonder was being made by "Nintendo's C-Team", and that it therefore was going to be a smaller, lesser quality game because of it.

Then Wonder came out and it was fantastic, extremely high quality, sold great, and in response to that he started tweeting insisting what he actually meant by that statement was that even Nintendo's lesser teams can make fantastic games that move units, and started reframing the "C-Team" term as a compliment, as though he always meant it that way.

Then it was made known that literally the people who made the original Super Mario Bros games were on the Wonder staff, and the insinuation at all that it was made by "the C-Team" became ridiculous in hindsight, and got meme'd to hell and back.

So

I do not, do not, think harassment campaigns are cool. I do not think people should be attacked or bullied or harassed. I think that sucks. But if the question is why it seems like some people here are viewing this from a less-than-charitable angle, it's because he actively sought out tweets where people were saying things that didn't line up with his predictions (that he was framing as facts that he knew) to "correct" them, and when his predictions kept being proven wrong he moved goalposts and doubled- and tripled- down in order to continue being "right," and continued framing himself as the guy who knew all along what Nintendo had cooking for that year. Which is pretty dang close to the types of actions that people really don't like about "insider culture," and doesn't exactly foster goodwill.
I have always viewed Dring as the average game journalist who doesn't care about non-AAA Nintendo games. The kind of journalist who gets excited about TGA stuff. I think he genuinely believed that Nintendo had nothing after TotK, but that opinion came from his biased lens.

Though he claims to be a Nintendo fan... And of course, the whole "C Team" saga is hard to rationalize.

Obviously nothing against him as a person, and outside of this debacle I enjoyed the little I read from him.

So

Yeah, where I'm at with this is, given all of that, Dring definitely had a certain amount of getting dunked on/taking his lumps coming to him (didn't deserve to get vitriolic harassment thrown at him because of it, obviously; but like, a certain level of razzing for just how confidently incorrect and off-base he was seems fair). But it's the kind of thing people should have gotten over after, I dunno, a week or two

It's kinda weird to me how much "C-team" is still a running gag around here, for instance. So long as he wasn't still making an ass out of himself, the meme should've died months ago

It's kinda weird to me how much "C-team" is still a running gag around here, for instance. So long as he wasn't still making an ass out of himself, the meme should've died months ago
idk someone calling tezuka the c-team should be unforgettably hilarious to any nintendo fan

kinda ironic talking about how the "c-team" meme should have died but no one bats an eye at "trust the process" that's been going on for about a year now which equally stopped being funny a long time ago

I have always viewed Dring as the average game journalist who doesn't care about non-AAA Nintendo games. The kind of journalist who gets excited about TGA stuff. I think he genuinely believed that Nintendo had nothing after TotK, but that opinion came from his biased lens.
The thing that always tilted my head about it was that even if he's only concerned about the big AAA Ninty stuff, which I get, his comments woulda meant he'd have to know everything Nintendo had been making and when it was all releasing, including Mario Wonder, but didn't include it in his prediction. And then after it was unveiled he had to explain why he didn't include it, and the answer was not "because I hadn't heard about it because Nintendo is secretive as hell" but was instead "this is gonna be a really small game by some new inexperienced devs so it wasn't worth mentioning."

It was just so weird. That's not normal journalist stuff, it's.. like, twitter stuff. Clout-chaser stuff. 😅

But I'm not trying to drag this out, I'll quit, just.. it's weird. And it sucks.

kinda ironic talking about how the "c-team" meme should have died but no one bats an eye at "trust the process" that's been going on for about a year now which equally stopped being funny a long time ago
That's because The Process was never meant to be funny, it was meant to be a path to enlightenment. 🙌

When people are calling statements like “Metroid isn’t a big seller” inflammatory, it doesn’t really do much to dispel the notion that Nintendo fans are insecure and looking to pick fights.

When people are calling statements like “Metroid isn’t a big seller” inflammatory, it doesn’t really do much to dispel the notion that Nintendo fans are insecure and looking to pick fights.
"Metroid isn't a big seller" = easily provable, understandable, not a big deal

"I revealed to the world Metroid isn't a big seller" = a bit arrogant, a bit self-aggrandizing, will likely draw ire due to tone

Again, I'm not trying to suggest the dude should be harassed, but the way he spoke on social media really seemed to me like he was trying to put himself on a pedestal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom