• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film Can we talk about the most surprising and unsettling scene from a film this year? [NOPE SPOILERS]

• Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2

Major spoilers for Nope, if you haven't seen it yet.

I'd recommend watching it before reading this post in order for this scene to have maximum effect.

The film delivers the reveal that the UFO is not an aircraft but in fact a living organism in the most shocking, unsettling way possible - by putting you there with the victims getting pulled up into its esophagus tract in preparation for digestion.

By showing the victims' abduction experience from their point of view — loud, cramped, disorienting, hard to ascertain what's happening — panicked, scared, muffled screaming — just a perfect scene all around.

Regardless of your thoughts on the rest of the movie (which I thought was fantastic), what are your thoughts on this scene in general?

I really loved this part. The realization of what it means plus the imagery was really effective.

I see that Jordan Peele has also watched The Borderlands...

Jokes aside, this plot twist was also in the Borderlands, and it's one of the most uncomfortable scenes I've ever watched. Two men go exploring the tunnels beneath an apparently cursed church, only to discover it's not caverns, and they're being eaten alive. Horrifying stuff

It's probably the most viscerally disturbing scene in a movie I've seen in a long time. The idea that all these people were out with their families on an outing, then suddenly sucked into a horrifying, dark, claustrophobic innards of a beast, screaming helplessly as they wait to die, stuck with me.

This movie actually release very late last year, but I saw it this year and it's not a year old yet. For me the most surprising scene of the year was in The King's Man when

what was up to that point the main character died in a war operation that seemed perfectly set up to be your standard hero action. It then went on to focus on his dad, who until that point seemed to be a secondary character. It really caught me and my wife off guard and we talked about it for weeks afterward. He had seemed well developed and well set to be a likeable protagonist.

Major spoilers for Nope, if you haven't seen it yet.

I'd recommend watching it before reading this post in order for this scene to have maximum effect.

The film delivers the reveal that the UFO is not an aircraft but in fact a living organism in the most shocking, unsettling way possible - by putting you there with the victims getting pulled up into its esophagus tract in preparation for digestion.

By showing the victims' abduction experience from their point of view - loud, cramped, disorienting, hard to ascertain what's happening - just a perfect scene all around.

Regardless of your thoughts on the rest of the movie (which I thought was fantastic), what are your thoughts on this scene in general?

I actually didn't catch it right away.
I still thought it was a ship, with the tunnel up into it being sorta weirdly ribbony and organic but I just chalked it up to "different technology." And you could still hear the people screaming as it flew by that night so I thought they were simply still trapped, imprisoned. My brain was just hooked into the common idea of UFOs being piloted contraptions, having never even considered a living flying saucer before.

What was unsettling for me was the scene in which I did realize it was alive and eating them: when it was hovering over the house and finally crunched down of everyone and the screams stopped, then their blood dumped out. That was the point I went "oh wait shit it ate them, the ship ate them," and I finally woke up from the assumption. That freaked me the hell out. Like the movie said "If you haven't gotten it by now, lemme spell this out for you: ᴄʀᴜɴᴄʜ."

This movie actually release very late last year, but I saw it this year and it's not a year old yet. For me the most surprising scene of the year was in The King's Man when

what was up to that point the main character died in a war operation that seemed perfectly set up to be your standard hero action. It then went on to focus on his dad, who until that point seemed to be a secondary character. It really caught me and my wife off guard and we talked about it for weeks afterward. He had seemed well developed and well set to be a likeable protagonist.
Yeah this one got me, too. Incredible twist.

Loved Nope - A lot more overall than I did Men. However, that scene towards the end of Men is a strong contender for the title in the OP

I think the digital copy (or else I saw it on youtube) has a making of that shows how they did this scene. It’s nothing groundbreaking but is mildly interesting.

The recurring flashback was also pretty unsettling in that ‘corruption of normal’ way. It definitely sent me down a rabbit hole to see if it was based on a real event.

Back
Top Bottom