• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Camelot seems to be maybe the only one of Nintendo's ususal partners that it's been MIA for over 3 years now. What are they cooking?

As I said in the main post, I feel is unlikely they have been working since 2021 on the Switch 2 for a Mario Tennis game, especially since by that point Nintendo made pretty much all their other partners develop more games for the regular Switch, games which we have been seeing now. It could be the case sure, but I'm not sure, it would be odd to make Camelot make something next gen while Nd Cube kept working on the regular Switch for Jamboree.
If they want games for release on both machines, can't be forcing all their partners onto the same path.

People have been complaining about the state of Mario Sports since late Wii/early Wii U days. They made a whopping 3 entries on Switch and each one got progressively worse.

They've course corrected on other Mario spinoffs, but there's nothing pointing to that happening for the Sports games. This is especially evident if you consider that their internally developed Sports game on Switch came out with the same issues
The complaints didn’t really start to pick up until the Switch, which is where this business model really started to take shape. Games like Ultra Smash and Sports Superstars were terrible, but the ire wasn’t really directed at the sports output as a whole, just those two games specifically.

Super Rush, Switch Sports, and Battle League was where the business model itself started to come under fire. And the fact that we’re gonna go 3+ years without a sports game of any kind makes me pretty confident that Nintendo is shaking things up.

I hope that Camelot makes a golden sun 4 but at the same time I have a feeling that Camelot is at a risk of getting shut down.
EDIT: There's also a chance that Camelot may be working with NDCube on Super Mario Party Jamboree but who knows until the credits show up.

Last edited:
It's always fun to me that people say "why arent they allowed to make anything else?"
Maybe they dont want to? I'm sure a small company like this are pretty pleased to basically have a lifelong contract of being the go to studio for making sports games with very iconic characters.

Not saying they dont want to return to Golden Sun or any other IP, but assuming they arent allowed to venture outside of Mario Sport series is a bit silly.
I'm one of those people who agrees with that. What I'm interested in, however, is seeing real creativity and quality of finish again in Mario Tennis and Mario Golf. That said, if we learn against all odds - which I absolutely don't believe we will - that they've developed the new Mario and Luigi, I'll be delighted. Shocked, but delighted.

I don't get folks claiming that Camelot lost much of the RPG team. I've looked at both the credits of various games, from GS to prior sport games and compared them to recent entries, and basically virtually all of them were still there. That and I just tried digging through Wayback to see what their numbers were throughout the years and really... not much more than now. If anything they peaked at possibly 45 a few years ago but now for whatever reason are at 38, but didn't someone claim a chunk moved to Nintendo internally?

On that note, we have actually a crazy example in support of all this; Yooka-Laylee. SOMEHOW, Playtonic managed to make a full 3D open platformer in the style of Banjo (literally) with I think at peak at around two dozen people, lowest in the beginning at only 6, and did it all including with it being Kickstarted in only two years. Like... Playtonic actually fucking did it and basically did what they did during the N64 era and put out a big-ish game with a small team and while sadly not a banger wasn't shit or unpolished either. Team17 had their own team do the PS4 and XBO ports while Playtonic after did the Switch port in-house (the game was built exclusively for PC on Unity).

So surely Camelot with 38 people, with Nintendo's own power, money, and resources at their disposal, are capable of making a proper 3D Golden Sun, especially if it's say a remake of the two GBA titles as one game as it was meant to be? I don't see how it's so unlikely. Xenoblade, it is not. Golden Sun doesn't NEED to be super big and complex. And who's to say another dev like 8ing or something can't join in to take some of the programming burden off of Camelot?

I don't get folks claiming that Camelot lost much of the RPG team. I've looked at both the credits of various games, from GS to prior sport games and compared them to recent entries, and basically virtually all of them were still there. That and I just tried digging through Wayback to see what their numbers were throughout the years and really... not much more than now. If anything they peaked at possibly 45 a few years ago but now for whatever reason are at 38, but didn't someone claim a chunk moved to Nintendo internally?

On that note, we have actually a crazy example in support of all this; Yooka-Laylee. SOMEHOW, Playtonic managed to make a full 3D open platformer in the style of Banjo (literally) with I think at peak at around two dozen people, lowest in the beginning at only 6, and did it all including with it being Kickstarted in only two years. Like... Playtonic actually fucking did it and basically did what they did during the N64 era and put out a big-ish game with a small team and while sadly not a banger wasn't shit or unpolished either. Team17 had their own team do the PS4 and XBO ports while Playtonic after did the Switch port in-house (the game was built exclusively for PC on Unity).

So surely Camelot with 38 people, with Nintendo's own power, money, and resources at their disposal, are capable of making a proper 3D Golden Sun, especially if it's say a remake of the two GBA titles as one game as it was meant to be? I don't see how it's so unlikely. Xenoblade, it is not. Golden Sun doesn't NEED to be super big and complex. And who's to say another dev like 8ing or something can't join in to take some of the programming burden off of Camelot?
And that isn't even considering the is Monolith with asset creation if that help is needed. Some insiders heard rumblings of Golden Sun being wanted from Nintendo.

I'd buy Amiibo of the 16 Player characters across the three games of so far and even amiibo of the Djinn. Nendoroids of the cast I think would sell well.

Hopefully a neat polished evolution of Mario Tennis Aces, I really enjoyed the way that game felt. It's a similar case to MK8 to me where I enjoy the weight and speed of the actions so much I have trouble playing older versions again.

Back
Top Bottom