• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Camelot seems to be maybe the only one of Nintendo's ususal partners that it's been MIA for over 3 years now. What are they cooking?

Hasn’t stopped them putting out another Mario Party game. Nevermind three RPGs near back-to-back-to-back. Don’t think GS is doing much in terms of representation nor diversity.
This is true, as much as I'd like a golden sun 4, I do not see what it would have to separate it from a gameplay or tone perspective from other switch games, nor what it would bring from a real world diversity stand point. I do think a puzzle rpg could offer much but I feel maybe it would be best as a new IP with a fresh setting

It's always fun to me that people say "why arent they allowed to make anything else?"
Maybe they dont want to? I'm sure a small company like this are pretty pleased to basically have a lifelong contract of being the go to studio for making sports games with very iconic characters.

Not saying they dont want to return to Golden Sun or any other IP, but assuming they arent allowed to venture outside of Mario Sport series is a bit silly.

They aren't working on golden sun, that's for sure. They'd never be able to get it out with the scale of the studio

If, and this is a massive if, they've had the urge to work on an RPG again, perhaps they're the ones who pitched the new mario and Luigi

This

People really think Nintendo is willing to bring back Another Code and Endless Ocean but not Golden Sun?

If you want a golden sun made with the budget of Endless Ocean/Another code/Famicom detective club, you go right ahead and ask Nintendo for that. I suspect nobody wants anything of the sort though.

Aces is the best-selling entry in the series by a decent margin and afaik their most successful game period so a new Tennis game is probably highest on their list of priorities. I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on a new one for the Switch successor.

Hasn’t stopped them putting out another Mario Party game. Nevermind three RPGs near back-to-back-to-back. Don’t think GS is doing much in terms of representation nor diversity.

Tell you what, you come up with a pitch that'll make golden sun sell twenty million copies like super mario party did, and I guarantee you Nintendo will find a way to make 3 entries of it on that platform too.

I don't get it. Goodfeel was able to work on something new. Grezzo got the keys to a brand new 2D Zelda. Why can't Camelot try something new?

Also, if Mario Tennis or Golf releases next year it'll get crushed by Mario Kart. Releasing both in the same year is a horrible idea. So the team has some time.
Nintendo are releasing three Mario RPG titles in 12 months alongside another five Mario brand titles in the same period. Cross-gen Mario sports can co-exist with bigger next-gen Mario titles, so long as they're spread out a little.

Plus, Grezzo co-developed Triforce Heroes back in 2015, so them presumably co-developing a new Zelda isn't a new development. Goodfeel also already had a track record for working on different Nintendo characters; they'd worked on Wario Land and Kirby as well as Yoshi previously. Both studios are larger than Camelot, too.

Compared to those other developers, Camelot are very small and simply don't have the same variety of experience under their belt any more. It'd be great to see something different from them, but they lost a lot of their past RPG talent. It wouldn't surprise me if they're working on Mario Tennis for next year, given Aces sold so well and given development demands are only increasing.

Probably Mario Sports. I do hope it is Golden Sun tho, or at least a co-development with another studio.

I think it would be nice for Nintendo to have one more conventional RPG IP under its belt, probably not another Golden Sun sequel, but a successor in the vein that GS was to their "Shining" games that somewhat reinvents its identity.

It's always fun to me that people say "why arent they allowed to make anything else?"
Maybe they dont want to? I'm sure a small company like this are pretty pleased to basically have a lifelong contract of being the go to studio for making sports games with very iconic characters.

Not saying they dont want to return to Golden Sun or any other IP, but assuming they arent allowed to venture outside of Mario Sport series is a bit silly.
Sometimes we miss the bigger picture Camelot must be upset that they aren't on the niche RPG game their ancestors developed 200 billion years ago that sold 600k, instead of making the Mario Sports games your current team has developed 100% of their efforts to perfecting the formula of that families love, lol

Love to everybody who want that Golden Sun though. I got lucky and quit as a kid to play Pokemon instead 😂 so i never developed that connection. I'll pray to arceus for y'all

Last edited:
This forum need to quit sleeping on Mario Baseball though!! God i got so many damn great memories playing, one my favorite Nintendo multiplayers for sure

Camelot could surely fill Now and Bandai's shoes, all they need is to get their butts together for this roster on launch for once lmao. The motion controls on switch with a joystick on deck such a cook for this franchise

One of my solemn hopes for the Switch Successor Era is that the Mario Sports finally find their way again.

The bones of the games have been pretty great, but there just hasn't been enough meat to supplement it.

I don't get it. Goodfeel was able to work on something new. Grezzo got the keys to a brand new 2D Zelda. Why can't Camelot try something new?

Also, if Mario Tennis or Golf releases next year it'll get crushed by Mario Kart. Releasing both in the same year is a horrible idea. So the team has some time.
You surely right nice work thinking ahead got to consider chess or some i never thought about the Mario Kart and 3D Mario cross sell. What the new they would be on now though you thinking?

The issue though i feel is how many more mario spin off ideas until Nintendo game directors out? 😂

If it's truly none new to do, Camelot stacking Mario Baseball and continuing on to develop a new Mario Basketball to release 2-3 years past would still be fun to me

Camelot may very well be developing something Golden Sun, Mario sports something, or both: actively supervising an outsider remaking GS, while developing the next Mario sports game.

When Nintendo didn’t see a need for Mario Golf back on the Wii, Camelot literally went to Capcom to make “We have Mario Golf at home” for the system. They are obviously very comfortable in their niche!

When Nintendo didn’t see a need for Mario Golf back on the Wii, Camelot literally went to Capcom to make “We have Mario Golf at home” for the system. They are obviously very comfortable in their niche!

They even said themselves - We Love Golf! :>

they should do something actually interesting, but I'd take one them baseball games if we must continue our endless march towards mediocrity

Just put them on rotation for various sports games. That way when we reach the next gen we can start over with Tennis. Hell I would even take something like this:
iu

They didn’t make it but give me more. They had hoops before yet it’s been forever since I’ve performed the Slam Jam on people.

Here's hoping they've been using that time to deliver a Mario Sports game with a volume of content that is actually decent.

Never not going to be frustrated that this keeps getting repeated when super rush matched the most holes any other game in the series had at launch, and made them all compatible with a mini platforming mode, and then added a ton more in free updates. 🤷‍♂️

There's still potentially more games to be announced in September for Winter, or Camelot has a Switch 2/Switch cross-gen game launching with Switch 2.

if Golden Sun comes back I doubt it'll be by Camelot besides in a supervising role for some of the team members while the rest of the studio plugs away at another Mario Sport entry.

This forum need to quit sleeping on Mario Baseball though!! God i got so many damn great memories playing, one my favorite Nintendo multiplayers for sure

Camelot could surely fill Now and Bandai's shoes, all they need is to get their butts together for this roster on launch for once lmao. The motion controls on switch with a joystick on deck such a cook for this franchise
I'm just surprised Nintendo doesn't give baseball a priority considering how popular baseball is in Japan.
Some day…
supermariofootball2.png
....please I need it.

Here's the thing. I've loved Mario Golf since the N64 version. Golf is the most evil, wasteful sport on the planet, but Mario Golf? That business is perfect

I just need it to play like a golf game and I'm happy as a clam

Now someone might ask, "But what appeal is there without some new gameplay or setting wrinkle?" but this is a foolish question

The appeal of Mario Golf is Bowser teeing up. I sincerely hope that whatever we get next, it doesn't involve a system where everyone playing online is incentivzed to go last and drop a grenade on their opponent's lie as soon as they hit the green

I hope they're spending the extra time contemplating how they ruined Mario Golf.

And I don't just mean the modern Mario sports game issues of being light on content and relying on free updates to get to where it should have been at launch... Mario Golf Super Rush was just a disaster from core game mechanics to the half-baked single player to the pathetic course designs that were ruined by the need to work with Super Rush. Everything here was done vastly better in Everybody's Golf PS4 years ago (and even that game had its issues.)

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo took the negative feedback to heart from Aces and Super Rush by giving Camelot as much time as they need to polish up their next entry. Listening to fans has been one of Nintendo’s biggest strengths this generation, and the complaints towards their sports games has been loud and clear.

A good sports entry in the launch year of their new console would go a long way in re-establishing trust in that branch of Nintendo’s output. Just a matter of timing, so that they don’t step on the toes of other Mario titles likely releasing in 2025.

Here's the thing. I've loved Mario Golf since the N64 version. Golf is the most evil, wasteful sport on the planet, but Mario Golf? That business is perfect

I just need it to play like a golf game and I'm happy as a clam

Now someone might ask, "But what appeal is there without some new gameplay or setting wrinkle?" but this is a foolish question

The appeal of Mario Golf is Bowser teeing up. I sincerely hope that whatever we get next, it doesn't involve a system where everyone playing online is incentivzed to go last and drop a grenade on their opponent's lie as soon as they hit the green
I don't mind there being a way to have that hectic fun but I do just want normal play. I felt the same way with Mario Tennis Aces. I found the gimmick there to ruin the game. It was just shitty and the gimmick occurred too often. I only played online without that gimmick.

Golf was just a mess. That gimmick was just bad.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo took the negative feedback to heart from Aces and Super Rush by giving Camelot as much time as they need to polish up their next entry. Listening to fans has been one of Nintendo’s biggest strengths this generation, and the complaints towards their sports games has been loud and clear.

A good sports entry in the launch year of their new console would go a long way in re-establishing trust in that branch of Nintendo’s output. Just a matter of timing, so that they don’t step on the toes of other Mario titles likely releasing in 2025.
That'll be tough with 3D Mario and presumably Mario Kart. If anything they would step on the toes of the sports game.

I'm down for more Mario sports games, but I really hope that the next title isn't another Tennis game. Do we really need 3 HD Mario Tennis games in a ~10 year period? Try a new sport.

I have noticed that in the last couple of years we have seen titles from pretty much every one of Nintendo's third party partners or even internal companies, not counting some of EPD's teams, with a few cases going back to 2022 like Next Level games or the musou devs, but we have seen pretty much everything from the devs that the latest time they made a game for Nintendo was in 2021. Recently we have at least seen the most recent games from Retro, Nd Cube, Creatures, Inteligent Systems, NST, Good Feel, Tantalus and likely Grezzo and Indieszero if they are making Echoes of Wisdom and Nintendo World Championship respectively, but there is currently one big exception that hasn't revealed a new game since mid 2021, so there has been 3 years since we last saw a title from them and we probably won't see them until next year, and those are Camelot. For the record, I will give some information:

-They already made their usual Mario Tennis and Mario Golf games for the Switch, so it's unlikely they will make another one for the system, since the only console that got more than one entry was the GBC (with Mario Golf and Mobile Golf).

-They could be making a Mario Tennis or Golf exclusively for Switch 2, but since they have been making something since 2021, is unlikely they and only them have had a Switch 2 dev kid since that long ago while all the other external devs just kept working on the regular Switch, so their next game will probably be for Switch or cross gen.

-Their develompent times for their previous Switch games were not particularily lenghty, with Mario Tennis Aces coming 2 and a half years after Ultra Smash (and also while making the Golf and Tennis part of Mario Sports Super Stars for the 3DS) , although taking in consideration that Aces re used a lot of assets from the Wii U title; they also took 3 years for Mario Golf Super Rush and that was with covid happening and slowing down the development, so it's fair to say their HD games have been of no more than 2.5 years, making it more interesting that there has been 3 years without us seeing their next project. It could be that their next project will be way bigger than their usual Mario Sports game or maybe the game is done and Nintendo is just waiting for it to be released in an ideal point.

-For the obvious Golden Sun idea, one could think that like with Another Code or Advance Wars, Nintendo would do a remake of the original 2 for it's return, however they already released them on NSO, and Nintendo so far has not released games on the service if they are making a remake, as it was seen with Mario RPG or how neither of their GBA games have been added to the Expansion Pass. Considering a new game would have to continue from the often forgotten Golden Sun Dark Dawn, is difficult to think that they would make a sequel to it without more people having played it. Maybe a reboot or an interquel?
is obvious Camelot is working on the next Mario Tennis/Golf for Switch sucessor.

People have been complaining about the state of Mario Sports since late Wii/early Wii U days. They made a whopping 3 entries on Switch and each one got progressively worse.

They've course corrected on other Mario spinoffs, but there's nothing pointing to that happening for the Sports games. This is especially evident if you consider that their internally developed Sports game on Switch came out with the same issues

The announcement of Mario & Luigi: Brothership gave me hope that Golden Sun could one day come back and that Camelot could be behind it.

The announcement of the third Switch Mario Party gave me despair that Camelot are back in the Mario sports mines.

Even if a new Mario Sports game is super incredibly obvious, I am personally always curious to see which new Mario series enemies/characters Camelot recruit to be playable in their games

They tend to get very little credit for having made a wide swath of the recurring Mario cast playable for the first time. mostly folks just remember that they created Waluigi, but Camelot also introduced all of these characters to playability status within the Mario series:

Daisy
Birdo
Boo
Paratroopa
Shyguy
Metal Mario
Bowser Jr
Diddy Kong
Petey Piranha
Wiggler
Luma
Chain Chomp
Pauline
Chargin' Chuck
Ninji

that's like most the good ones right?! someone on the staff there has exquisite taste.

and hopefully like with Aces the game itself is actually fun to play too, always nice when that happens

Back
Top Bottom