• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Breaking news Akira Toriyama has passed away March 1st

So much of our current media is influenced by Dragon Ball, it’s one of the most influential series of all time and he was its creator. Without Toriyama, we don’t have so much of the most amazing and beautiful stories ever conceived, god rest his soul

That’s unexpected and super sad :/ His work has a big place in my life between Dragon Ball, Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Quest.

It's impossible to put into words Akira Toriyama's legacy. Without a doubt one of the most legendary and influential artists of the 20th century and responsible for my all time favorite series. 68 is just too damn young.

RIP to a legend. I never thought about him as an actual aging human being until now because of how consistent and profilic he was throughout his entire career. His absence will be impossible to ignore.

This is obviously not the most important thing right now, but I wonder what becomes of Dragon Quest now that both Sugiyama and Toriyama have passed away.

RIP.

RIP to a legend. I never thought about him as an actual aging human being until now because of how consistent and profilic he was throughout his entire career. His absence will be impossible to ignore.
Tragically, it doesn't seem to be because of old age. I had never heard of this medical term before, but from Google:

"A subdural hematoma is a type of bleeding near your brain that can happen after a head injury."

So it sounds like this was very sudden. Nobody should have to go out like that.

The influence of Arika Toriyama and his works cannot be overstated. Even as someone who never got into Dragon Ball or Dragon Quest, his style was instantly iconic and appealing, let alone the many works that took inspiration from said works. RIP to a legend. He will be sorely missed, taken from the world too soon, and I hope his family can find peace in this time.

Last edited:
This is obviously not the most important thing right now, but I wonder what becomes of Dragon Quest now that both Sugiyama and Toriyama have passed away.

RIP.
....as long as Horii is still around it will continue.

Heck it would continue even without him, it's too big to just stop. Plus there are many talented Dragon Ball artists who worked under him that can continue his legacy

One of the trailblazers of action shonen manga, who inspired millions upon millions of other creators. Akira Toriyama will be sorely missed.

Tragically, it doesn't seem to be because of old age. I had never heard of this medical term before, but from Google:

"A subdural hematoma is a type of bleeding near your brain that can happen after a head injury."

That is terrifying. My in-laws make me go to the ER every time I bang my head for this reason.

Sudden and shocking news. I'll always have fond memories of watching DBZ with my dad. The impact it made on me was tremendous. Rest in peace, Toriyama-san.

Damn, 68 years isn’t even that old all things considered. Japan’s life expectancy for men is ~82 years. Acute subdural hematoma also sounds like a terrible way to go.

I’ll finish that replay of Chrono Trigger. RIP to one of the most influential artists/creators ever.

....as long as Horii is still around it will continue.

Heck it would continue even without him, it's too big to just stop. Plus there are many talented Dragon Ball artists who worked under him that can continue his legacy
Horii ain’t a youngster in his stride either.

I'm still reeling from this. The extent of his impact on anime/manga cannot be put to words, such an unimaginable loss. RIP.

I still can't believe this. It's going to be a couple of days before I fully process this...

RIP Toriyama!

We all got to live at the same time as one of the greatest artists in history, and to enjoy his work during its own era. That, honestly, rules.

Rest in peace to the greatest to ever do it.

Please read Dr. Slump if you haven’t!

His impact in video games is obviously big, but his influence in manga is incomparable. Dragon ball is still a huge part of my life, and even more so if you count the series that followed in its trail

Oh no, if it was a subdural hematoma, then it was most likely caused by an accident. That somehow saddens me even more. Like with Kentaro Miura, it was way too soon.

One of my fave for Xbox 360 hell this game sold me to HD gaming

Oh damn that’s shocking news 😢 RIP to one of the greats and I hope his family and friends are well supported at this time.

An artist of immeasurable influence and impact in video games, manga, and anime. Big or small, his work has had a presence throughout my life. I am actually speechless...

Rest peacefully, legend.

I can't say I was ever a fan of his works but he was undeniably a legend. RIP.

I'm curious to see how my country, Mexico will react to this, as we are known for being massive DB diehards.

Dragon Quest XI is my favorite game ever, and he absolutely killed it with the character and creature designs there. He will be truly missed, what a legend,

Damn. The irony of me being interested in Dragon Ball's impact on me and the rest of Latin America for that matter before this announcement has not been lost on me.

There's no way in hell, heaven or earth to underestimate the cultural phenomenon this man created on this side of the continent, and I'm certain that he will at least be resting well knowing his creation will be an immortal part of life.

I can probably count on one hand people in anime & manga who I think helped shape the very foundation and mainstream identities of their industry. Toriyama was absolutely one of them.

Outside of watching Battle of Gods I haven't been good at keeping up with modern/post-Z Dragon Ball but both watching that movie and playing FighterZ a few years back was like catching up with old friends. The landscape of Western anime fandom would have gone along incredibly differently without his work. This is one of those losses you really have to step back and process because of how gargantuan an impact they truly had and will continue to have.

A true legend has passed, I wish nothing but love and peace to his family and for him to rest in peace!

Unbelievably heartbreaking. Discovering Dragon Ball in the 2nd grade was massive. He lives on in all the people whom he has and will touch with his artwork.

May the man rest in peace, very unfortunate and shocking news. Dragon Ball has such an immense presence in Latin American culture, the tributes are going to be endless.

I can probably count on one hand people in anime & manga who I think helped shape the very foundation and mainstream identities of their industry. Toriyama was absolutely one of them.

Outside of watching Battle of Gods I haven't been good at keeping up with modern/post-Z Dragon Ball but both watching that movie and playing FighterZ a few years back was like catching up with old friends. The landscape of Western anime fandom would have gone along incredibly differently without his work. This is one of those losses you really have to step back and process because of how gargantuan an impact they truly had and will continue to have.
I've always said the big 3 of manga are Tezuka, Nagai, and Toriyama. It honestly is weird to think Go Nagai is still with us but Toriyama isn't. It's going to be bittersweet seeing all the tributes to him from Japanese artists.

I’m speechless right now. I’m just crying and don’t know what to say. Watching Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z before going to Elementary School every morning was a staple of my childhood. My childhood schoolbag from first grade was DBZ and is still hanging up in my dad’s shed. I haven’t even interacted with DB much since then besides some of the games. That’s not to even mention DQ, Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, etc

RIP Toriyama.

Easily one of the most important parts of growing up for me was getting into comics, and Dragon Ball was a big part of that. Though I know he was semi-retired by now, it’s gonna be hard knowing we’re not going to see many more new things from him. Dragon Quest XII will likely be the last Dragon Quest game from the original lineup.

Fuck

I'm stunned, this is devastating

RIP to a man who changed the world. His worldwide impact on media as we know it cannot be understated, one of the most influential artists ever

god I loved the way he drew cars and cycles

dragonball_car1.png

64d3ebb139e0a148ecd137b1974de1e8f07e3c94.jpg

There was always so much joy in his "characters just chilling" drawings

Back
Top Bottom