• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Breaking news Akira Toriyama has passed away March 1st

I am devastated. Y'all have no idea how much this man's work inspired me as a creative person. I'm crying and shaking right now.

Man, this is one of those deaths that affects you on a personal level, I grew up watching Dragon Ball Z and still enjoy it to this day. RIP

When I was in Japan, I was wearing a shirt with Piccolo's logo on it, walking around Tokyo. A stranger came up behind me and poked my back, playfully shouting Piccolo's attack name. I turned around and gave him a Kamehameha and he responded to that with another attack. I was in a country where I didn't even speak the language but we were able to communicate through our love of Dragon Ball. How many artists have an impact like that around the world?

GIHhxEAXAAA3UIW

How the iconic Slime was created.

RIP

my tastes radically changed as I got older but there was a time when I was like 10 that I was obsessed with Dragon Ball Z
DragonBall is still great as motivation.are there plot holes? Yes, could they have done things differently? Yes! One thing that always stick is that You always achieve the best version of you. Kaio Ken isn't a technique it is a mentality, it is a guide on how you live your life.
Imagine yourself at your best.

I don't typically get too emotional when celebrities pass away, but this one is actually making me cry.

I don't typically get too emotional when celebrities pass away, but this one is actually making me cry.
Me too. I've been crying on and off. Just a titan of an artist, who was always humble about creating one of the biggest pieces of art in the 20th century.

I genuinely can't picture my life without Dragon Ball.

Rip to an absolute legend.
My childhood wouldn't have been the same without Dragonball.
Manga and anime wouldn't have been the same without him.

Dragon ball my be the first ever anime I ever watched and
I actually don't know what to say I just woke up to this news
May he never be forgotten
RIP

Me too. I've been crying on and off. Just a titan of an artist, who was always humble about creating one of the biggest pieces of art in the 20th century.

I genuinely can't picture my life without Dragon Ball.
Not even just Dragon Ball, but Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger too. The man changed the world and many many lives with his works. It's hard to imagine anything being the same without him

It's still hard to process, I mean I knew it would happen one day....I just figured we still had a good 20-30 years with him and then he would retire, and we would have conversations about who would take over his work on current projects and continue to reminisce about his early work and maybe 20 years after that he would finally pass peacefully having led a long fulfilling successful life, but it just didn't go that way.

I mean damn.

Few people get to leave the profound cultural footprint Toriyama has. What a legend.

Haven't been hit this hard by a famous death since Terry Pratchett.

It's like he totally coulda drawn for Gundam or something but he was like "nah, I wanna be cute"
I think one of my favourite things about Toriyama is that he always wanted to draw something cool and detailed. But he also never really wanted to draw those often. It's why so many of his covers have a cool machine, and yet it will never show up in the actual thing, he realized they would be a pain to draw forever.

Super Saiyan existing because he got tired of colouring Goku's hair every single panel, and becoming one of the single most iconic things in all of media, worldwide, is some absolutely inspiring levels of genius born from cutting corners. Nobody does it like him, and no one will do it like him ever again. Rest in peace.

Absolutely shocking news to wake up to, the thought of him passing this soon never even crossed my mind. One of the rare artists whose work touched millions and transcended language and culture. RIP

Jesus Christ.

68 ... the same age as my mother. That's way too young.

The man was prolly one of the most important contributors to modern popculture, not only for Manga and Anime, but video games, music and films too.
At least on the same level as George Lucas and the likes.

My condolences to his family.

Real sad news. Loved DB as a middle school kid, it more or less introduced my country to manga on its own, purely through word of mouth. That’s how incredible and impactful that story is.

RIP.

I feel empty inside. Toriyama defined my childhood and now he is gone. I haven't been this broken up by a celebrity death since Kevin Conroy.

I never care when a famous person dies, but this hit me hard. My favourite artist and manga creator of all time.
All of his designs are legendary, his Dragon Quest designs are one of a kind. His work has been highly influential in both the gaming and manga world. His work is what made me love anime and manga.

Tragically, it doesn't seem to be because of old age. I had never heard of this medical term before, but from Google:

"A subdural hematoma is a type of bleeding near your brain that can happen after a head injury."

So it sounds like this was very sudden. Nobody should have to go out like that.
I've read people saying the injury could also be from a long time ago, doesn't need to be recent. And Toriyama was very into motorcycling when he was younger. Maybe he had an accident back in the day that has now caused the bleeding?

Either way, he's gone...
tenor.gif

Like a ton of people, I grew up with Dragon Ball Z when it was aired in France, thanks to "Le Club Dorothée".
But before this, my brother bought the game "Dragon Ball Z 2: La Légende Saien" (aka the second budokai game on SNES) which came with the very first volume of the manga.

Back then, we had to travel to Paris and go to "La FNAC" at "Les Halles" to get a copy of the game. We read the manga in a parc while waiting for our parents and when we came back home, my brother urged me to watch Dragon Ball on TV.

I got hooked instantly. Well, maybe not instantly because the first episode I watched was Cell voring C-17 so as a very young Koren, I was scared quite a lot ^^;. I kept reading the manga and watched the TV series as much as I could.

I never stop loving Dragon Ball Z and I still can't believe how lucky we were to have the series in France in the late 80s to the mid 90s.
It changed my life. The Kakarot ad is so on point with this. Everyone did it.

EDIT :
Man I've been in tears for two hours and it's not stopping.

Did you know ? Brigitte Lecordier, the french voice of Goku in Dragon Ball and then Gohan in Dragon Ball Z, met with Masako Nozawa in Japan and did voiced together Goku & Gohan for a bit :

This is how popular the french dub of Dragon Ball was. They even did a little documentary to meet the other french voice actors.

Last edited:
An absolute legend. It's hard to imagine what anime, manga and even video games would've looked like without him.

Dragon Ball was obviously his most famous work (and Toriyama absolutely deserves all the credit for making the shonen genre a thing), but his work for Dragon Quest is almost as popular within Japan and that's the games that more or less defined what JRPGs are to begin with. He was also a part of Chrono Triggers "dream team" alongside Sakaguchi and Horii and that game is still an ageless masterpiece.

Heck it just goes further than that; it's hard to say if anime would've gotten as popular outside of Japan without Dragon Ball. That show more than anything was what introduced so many people to anime. It's also just... so worldwide? idk, that one is hard to put into words, but Dragon Ball is just kinda everywhere; I've seen pictures with drawings of Goku and other Dragon Ball characters on random walls, restaurants and such everywhere from Latin America to India to Mexico to USA and Europe.

It feels weird to see him pass away at what I'd consider a relatively young age. Would've hoped he had ~10-20 years in him still.

Rest in peace... you will be deeply missed Toriyama.

This is harsh news to wake up to. Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon were basically culturally how everyone got into anime around here. Toriyama was one of those people that just felt like he would live forever creating during my lifetime. It's too soon.

this is just...so shocking. "gone way too soon" would be an understatement to say the least.

you don't even have to be a huge mega fan of his creations to recognize toriyama was probably the most influential modern japanese artist, like, period. DB's sole staying power, as well as the iconic status of many other properties that he has worked on (Dragon Quest being my personal favourite) has been a testament to that. it's even more gutting knowing that toriyama had evidently so much more enthusiasm and ideas left to give.

rest in peace. a monumental loss to the world.

Woke up to this, I’m at a loss for words. Dragon ball was a big part of me growing up.

Rip to a legend who has shaped many lives.

Back
Top Bottom