• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Bone-Chilling, Haunted Games for October

• Thread starter Deleted member 2258
  • Start date
Alright, it's beginning.

I've had a chance to play at least a little bit of each of my three games...

Blade (Game Boy Color/Analogue Pocket)

There are three modes of play in the first level. The third mode - fighting a vampire monster boss with your sword - is a huge difficulty spike, and I'm still making sense of how to survive it. But that's given me plenty of attempts to get familiar with the other two parts. In the first part, Blade shoots vampires across the screen, using a different button to get the close foes. Then, the second part is a pretty well done side-scrolling beat-em-up with a surprisingly robust set of moves for its limited control scheme.

I think it looks beautiful, like many Game Boy Color games. HAL was one of the developers who worked on this. And they were granted the ability to use the likenesses of Wesley Snipes and Kris Kristofferson, unlike the other console Blade game. The vampires disappear into ash just like the movie. A nice touch. I dig it. I'll keep plugging away at it every once in a while and see if I can get past this first boss...

Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition (PC)

I was running around and going pretty quick through the start of the game til you get your first weapon, and one thing that struck me is that it doesn't matter if you go fast or slow. You will get that heavy feeling from the dense atmosphere of this game either way. It's an intense game, I may have to do it in about half hour chunks or so because it can be wonderfully draining.

The music, fog and voice acting are still highlights - especially with headphones. I have gotten more used to using my laptop's keyboard controls too.

Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo (Switch)

I am investigating different locations and people right now, and this game holds such a unique space between visual novel, folklore, horror and detective mystery. The whole package is leaving a strong impression so far. I love the way the settings are composed, mixing real-life photography with what feels like a cartoonish, supernatural shadow filter. One of my favorite little details is that characters will slowly blink every once in a while when they are holding a static pose.

Really great stuff, this is exactly the kind of small, unique game I want Square Enix to be making.

So this demo/prototype Lake Haven Chrysalis -

- really, really rocked. I hope they do release a larger realization of this game, because I'll be there day one. PS1 style survival horror with Dreamcast/PS2 level design and sensibilities, a wild ride.

Next up, a game I now have the time to comprehend- Aliens Dark Descent. So far it's absolutely chilling and intense maneuvering a squad of Marines from one encounter to the next- they FINALLY seem to have adapted the property properly, and I find it very addicting! I almost spent an hour just modifying my group of Marines, true XCOM style hahaha. šŸ˜‚

52918341955_7b5e52f901_h.jpg

Friday the 13th The Game
Castlevania Anniversary Collecrion
Castlevania Requiem
Absolute bangers- even if I always sucked at F13 due to wild tactic exploits running amok, it remains an extremely fun time. Those Castelvania slices are of course legendary.

Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition (PC)

I was running around and going pretty quick through the start of the game til you get your first weapon, and one thing that struck me is that it doesn't matter if you go fast or slow. You will get that heavy feeling from the dense atmosphere of this game either way. It's an intense game, I may have to do it in about half hour chunks or so because it can be wonderfully draining.

The music, fog and voice acting are still highlights - especially with headphones. I have gotten more used to using my laptop's keyboard controls too.
Yeah, you can speed through it technically- but why rush such a weird, strange ride? I'll be interested to hear what you think about it by its conclusion.

Yeah, you can speed through it technically- but why rush such a weird, strange ride? I'll be interested to hear what you think about it by its conclusion.

So the first time I played up through most of the apartment and was going very slowly because I was terrified lol. Even now, when I was walking in the forest and those extreme noises pop up in the soundtrack, I can't help but stop and look around. It's cool that the mood is so potent whether you bask in it or not.

So the first time I played up through most of the apartment and was going very slowly because I was terrified lol. Even now, when I was walking in the forest and those extreme noises pop up in the soundtrack, I can't help but stop and look around. It's cool that the mood is so potent whether you bask in it or not.
Not only that, but I'll simply say that even your endings depend on how you literally interact with the game- a very interesting and fantastic concept for such a personal story.

I also just ran around to fill out the map because I wanted to know every aspect of the town as its presented- eventually.

Still making my way through SH2. The soundtrack is indeed incredible. I want to wait until I have something real to say since the game is such a classic but...yeah. It's been a trip so far

Quite honestly still one of the best game soundtracks I've ever heard. Yamaoka was truly in another realm. Still listen to it today outside of the game on occasion, especially Wintertime. So atmospheric.

Still making my way through SH2. The soundtrack is indeed incredible. I want to wait until I have something real to say since the game is such a classic but...yeah. It's been a trip so far
The sound and the fog are like, transcendent melancholia, how did they tap into something so natural and display it so well?

Combine that with a wicked David Lynch mood and you have yourself a supremely tasty treat (imo).

Still listen to it today outside of the game on occasion, especially Wintertime. So atmospheric.
Likewise!

signalis-game.gif

Aliens Dark Descent just wasn't spooky enough- it's trying to be an action-based entry, and that's okay. So I'm going to play SIGNALIS instead for the first time, since playing Lake Haven Chrysalis gave me a strong hunger for tank controls and puzzle solving with crimson scares.

It's incredible! SIGNALIS is everything everyone said it was: grim, smart, and extremely fun to play. So many horror games fail to have a basic, fun loop tied to their exploration- and I've always really enjoyed the haunted fun house aspect of Resident Evil kind of setups in video games- find the optimal path, bring the right items, try not to die a gruesome death...

I gotta beat this before the end of October to earn myself my first forum badge!

iu

Last edited:
Alien isolation, Luigiā€™s mansion, and phasmaphobia with a friend for me. Very surprised at how scary phasmaphobia is. That team managed to do a lot with a little

Vanishing of Ethan Carter is not particularly scary but this game has stayed with me.

And Sagebrush

Both are also on Switch.

Back
Top Bottom