• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Bone-Chilling, Haunted Games for October

• Thread starter Deleted member 2258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2258

Every day is Halloween, of course, but I like to make a point to play some spooky stuff around October. Maybe you do too?

This year, I'm going to try three playthroughs on three different consoles: Paranormasight on Switch, Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition on my laptop and something on Analogue Pocket. Haven't made a final decision yet.

This thread can be a hub to discuss games that just hit right when experienced in the creepy season. Or you can talk about what devilish deeds you've been up to.

Every day is Halloween, and every game has a dark side... Discuss!

Im currently replaying alien isolation on pc. Nearly a decade later and I still think it’s one of the most nerve wracking experiences out there. On the lighter side of things I started the Luigi’s mansion 3ds remake. Still a great fun game

I bought Alan Wake on Switch last year day one when it came out...and it's still in my backlog 🙃 I'm gonna reinstall and start it this coming weekend ahead of October if I finish the Pokemon DLC before then haha

I bought the Outlast bundle I think either in 2021 or 2022, but yeah after playing five minutes of the first game I noped out so hard. I might try giving it another go, but I think I'll at least aim to clear out Bayonetta 3 from my backlog and get a couple rounds in on Dead By Daylight for the first time in about six months

Spooky stuff!
Jordan King tend to have an excellent finger on the trashy slasher pulse, and I think that Bloodwash is probably my favorite representation of that. I need to play his latest stuff so I'll probably be doing it soon for october!
Maybe I'll finally go through Corpse Party's sequel-ish story. Maybe I'll go through the PSP game again!
And if I'm willing to really hope, perhaps scary frog cult game Loveland can release in October! But I don't rush indie devs.
I'm excited to do spooky things though!

Early this year I bought Paranormasight and due to life I had to put it down. I am going through it now for spooky season and its been superb. I wanted to replay Spirit Hunter NG (since the sequel, third game) is releasing in Feb but idk. So my other 2 games I had in mine are Raincode, still have not gone far (and I did the ST lol) or House of Fata Morgana.

I really should get back to TotK but I think for October I'm going to try and finish off Bloodstained and maybe finally give Majora's Mask or Luigi's Mansion a go

Oh yeah, I just remembered that I have Blade for GBC so that'll be my Analogue Pocket game choice!

Started replaying Twilight Princess, first playthrough since its original release! Not scary per say, but the atmosphere aligns nicely with fall.

Want to play Aria of Sorrow, Costume Quest 2, and/or Eternal Darkness in October, but I doubt I’ll have time.

I really want to play RE4R this October. I have RE3R on the backlog as well, but I think that can wait. I played RE2R last year, and that was a great experience that scared me to death.

Although October is so jammed packed full of games, I’m not sure if I’ll have the time to get around to a game that’s gonna scare my socks off.

My Halloween tradition is Super Castlevania. I like to play all the Castlevanias around October, but that one is my favorite.

I also like to play through eternal darkness on the day before Halloween. Halloween itself I dedicate to movies.

I’d like to vouch for Happy Game by Amanita Design! A creepy game but not too creepy. On Switch, PC, iOS and Android. Playing with a controller is totally fine but the way you manipulate objects is great on a touch screen. Beautiful art, not too long, not too expensive.

TdWmjAR.gif

Last edited:
Plan is the Silent Hill quadrilogy but I doubt I'll play all four in one month.

I've tried Fatal Frame a few times and I've wimped out consistently. I'd love to actually finish them but they're too good at their job and I get too agitated to keep playing without a guide, at which point I'm not really immersing myself anymore.

Early this year I bought Paranormasight and due to life I had to put it down. I am going through it now for spooky season and its been superb. I wanted to replay Spirit Hunter NG (since the sequel, third game) is releasing in Feb but idk. So my other 2 games I had in mine are Raincode, still have not gone far (and I did the ST lol) or House of Fata Morgana.
Is the House in Fata Morgana scary? It doesn't sound like a horror vn from what I have heard, but if it does contain some dark and spooky stuff I may dig it out of my backlog for spooky season and finally give it a read.

Paranormasight, Spirit Hunter, Raging Loop, Higurashi... Japanese horror vns are so good. I wish I could forget about them all so I could experience them for the first time again.

Is the House in Fata Morgana scary? It doesn't sound like a horror vn from what I have heard, but if it does contain some dark and spooky stuff I may dig it out of my backlog for spooky season and finally give it a read.

Paranormasight, Spirit Hunter, Raging Loop, Higurashi... Japanese horror vns are so good. I wish I could forget about them all so I could experience them for the first time again.
I've only played about 2 hours, and its more creepy and suspenseful than horror, so far. But I havent gone back cause apparently its a long vn so I would want to go in without anything else on the plate.

Raging loops is on my short list to try.

I’ve been thinking about this for a couple months. This is a perfect opportunity to actually play through the Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes I bought forever ago.

There are a couple homebrew Game Boy games like Deadeus I can buy digitally and throw on the ol’ Everdrive.

If I’m feeling nostalgic, there’s always Ocarina of Time up to the Shadow Temple Adult Link to get screamed at by ReDeads in the ruins of Hyrule Castle Town.

This year I'm planning to play through Signalis and Paranormasight during October, I think there's no better time than this

Think my spooky game this October is gonna be Pumpkin Jack. I've always preferred the goofier/kitschier side of Halloween to the outright scary/gory stuff, and I've also been on a 3D platformer kick, so running around and jumping as some guy with a pumpkin for a head sounds right up my alley.

Also might try to fit in a Julius mode playthrough of Aria of Sorrow. I first played through the whole Advance Collection last October, so I was a little burned out at the end and didn't feel up to another run in that game, but it's been long enough now that I'm getting the Castlevania itch again.

Paranormasight is my planned “spooky” game this year, it’s been in my backlog a while. I played Immortality last year (on PC), and while it’s more… subtle horror (mostly), it’s one of the most unnerving, unsettling things I’ve ever experienced. The first time you really notice it (and you’ll know what I mean if you’ve played it) it freaked me right the hell out. Recommended if you want a more unusual, different sort of horror experience.

For a classic, my all-time favorite horror game is REmake. It’s perfect, and the mansion is one of the best settings in gaming history IMO.

I don't really have anything lined up in the backlog for Halloween, but I might play Bayonetta which I guess counts. Now would be a great time for some surprise Shadow Hearts ports though!

I really wish I could experience Raging Loop for the first time again, it's such a trip! Higurashi is on my to-read list, I think I'll bite next time it goes on sale.

Main priority is Separate Ways, I started it but I haven't gotten far yet.

Thinking about replaying Alan Wake in preparation for the sequel but I think I might just watch a summary to get me up to speed.

I don't have many spooky games BUT I will probably replay RE4 and play the DLC. Maybe get REVIIIage (?)

I really wish I could experience Raging Loop for the first time again, it's such a trip! Higurashi is on my to-read list, I think I'll bite next time it goes on sale.

If you loved Raging Loop then you will probably love Higurashi. It has a similar "small Japanese village with dark secrets" vibe going on. A bit slower to start, but don't get turned off by the abundant lighthearted slice of life stuff in the first half - it's there to give you a false sense of comfort before the story starts pulling its punches.

Hm, what a great question! I will need something that's not Tears of the Kingdom to play, and we are so close to the holidays... I will ponder this.

Edit:

Also, forgot to respond to this-

Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition on my laptop

What the Enhanced Edition has made possible for this game is nothing short of sublime- 60fps with PS2 fog parity on the PC port is like, the stuff of dreams.

Last edited:
Back with a few more recommendations!

Onimusha is a great pick for this time of year. Again, nice and short! The recent port of the game to everything is straightforward but solid. I never get tired of this game's way over the top cackling demonic samurai. And you can play it all again in a panda suit, if you want!

It's not a horror game exactly, but Hotline Miami is definitely a nightmare. If you dabble in the bloodier side of horror, you may have a great time. I personally love the sequel too, and the collection of both games is often cheap.

Finally...Doom 3. Lots of people seem to not like it! Although I feel like that reputation has softened over time. Take it from your pal big lantern ghost: Doom 3 is terrific. I love the game's intro and the hilariously evil Dr. Bertruger. I love the game's datapads; I normally gloss over this kind of collectible in a game at best, but the audiologs etc in this game are maybe the best I've ever experienced. The trips to hell are SICK. And like all of Bethesda's recent ports, it looks and plays great anywhere you can get it. The jump scares still work playing handheld on the Switch...they do for me, at least 😂

Im currently replaying alien isolation on pc. Nearly a decade later and I still think it’s one of the most nerve wracking experiences out there.
I agree 100%, Alien: Isolation is tied with Resident Evil 7 VR as the scariest game I've managed to finish lol

Silent Hill 2
Not having played this (or 3) yet is one of my biggest video game gaps I feel like...buuuuut I only have the HD Collection, and the Xbox version at that! I feel like I keep holding out despite the fact that I won't have a PC to play the Enhanced Edition mod any time soon. What do you think? Is the weakest version of the games better than no SH at all?

Not having played this (or 3) yet is one of my biggest video game gaps I feel like...buuuuut I only have the HD Collection, and the Xbox version at that! I feel like I keep holding out despite the fact that I won't have a PC to play the Enhanced Edition mod any time soon. What do you think? Is the weakest version of the games better than no SH at all?

I'll be playing the Enhanced Edition on a laptop. It feels weird to not use a controller, but It takes some luck and resources to get the ideal Silent Hill 2 experience, I suppose. The immersion of the fog and the soundtrack are two of my favorite things about the game, but I would think if you go into the Xbox version with the right mindset, it'll still be a pretty great time.

I'll be playing the Enhanced Edition on a laptop. It feels weird to not use a controller, but It takes some luck and resources to get the ideal Silent Hill 2 experience, I suppose. The immersion of the fog and the soundtrack are two of my favorite things about the game, but I would think if you go into the Xbox version with the right mindset, it'll still be a pretty great time.
I think maybe I’ll give it a shot! Although I thought it was mostly the graphics that were a letdown, it’s a bummer the audio has been messed with too D:

EDIT: I feel like we may have talked about this looooong ago @afternoon delight, seeing your post above gave me the strongest déjà vu

There are sections and elements of the game that are entirely absent- like fog and literally key imagery is totally gone, in a terrible way. I wouldn't even bother playing, as it just looks straight up bad.

Silent-Hill-HD-Collection-Silent-Hill-2-HD-Comparison.jpg

MwAvM.jpeg

Oh, I just meant that the Enhanced Edition does some really cool things with the soundtrack, and it sounds great and is extremely immersive in headphones.

There are sections and elements of the game that are entirely absent- like fog and literally key imagery is totally gone, in a terrible way. I wouldn't even bother playing, as it just looks straight up bad.

Silent-Hill-HD-Collection-Silent-Hill-2-HD-Comparison.jpg

MwAvM.jpeg
I was like “OK, I see what they mean but maybe it’s not the worst!” That last comparison in particular looks pretty nasty though lol. I see what you mean, the atmosphere is palpably different. Hmm.
Oh, I just meant that the Enhanced Edition does some really cool things with the soundtrack, and it sounds great and is extremely immersive in headphones.
Oh! OK, I gotcha. I’m glad it wasn’t actively ruined in HD, at least.

It's still a fantastic game, and you can use the original voices. I'd still play it if you can stomach the weird errors, the story and light adventure / ultra heavy horror is just sooooo addictive and incredible.

I already own it, and it is the Spooky Times, and I’ve been putting it off forever! It seems like a good time to give it a real shot. Is SH3 equally as messed up, or does 2 get the worse of it?

I already own it, and it is the Spooky Times, and I’ve been putting it off forever! It seems like a good time to give it a real shot. Is SH3 equally as messed up, or does 2 get the worse of it?
Silent Hill 3 is so dark literally all the time, I think it's spared the brunt of visual inconsistencies. 😂

For me, they are the two best horror games ever made- nothing else even comes close, except perhaps REmake and OG RE2.

I enjoyed the early access builds very much, but your mileage may vary depending on how much you like pen-and-paper game design, it's a very text heavy game with ooooooodles of atmosphere and cool interactions.
Sounds great to me, I love atmosphere and interactions. And reading.

I don't love games that have me taking notes to use later if that's what you mean by pen-and-paper though.

Nah, it's more like- click a text prompt that says "ATTACK" and then read "Skittzo deals 6 damage to CRAWLING CHAOS with a hammer". Do not expect to see anyone actually swing a hammer. :LOL:
Oh yeah that's 100% my bag. I'm very much into old-school design sensibilities like that which may be heavily reflected in my own game.

I was like “OK, I see what they mean but maybe it’s not the worst!” That last comparison in particular looks pretty nasty though lol. I see what you mean, the atmosphere is palpably different. Hmm.

Another glaring example is they're inside a bowling alley, and with the limited lighting, you can barely see in front of them. But on the HD Collection, you can see the back of the wall where the bowling pins would be, and it destroys the atmosphere.

John Linneman from DF has a great video detailing a lot of the glaring issues with the HD Collection.

Relevant part with the alley is 19min in

This Halloween season I'm gonna be playing REmake and Castlevania III. Will be my first time playing both. Despite loving horror movies, I've played very few horror games.

I wish there was a definitive way to play the Silent Hill series, always wanted to give them a try. The movie is a fun time.

Junji Ito and procedural text based RPGs both changed my life for the better, so be warned of my unshakable bias. 😂

( It helps that it's been in early access for almost two years, totally watch a Let's Play for further impressions. )
I watched a bit, and I absolutely love the look of the combat system. I had no idea it was so involved, with the whole time system.

The game is semi-roguelike, right? Like, somewhat procedurally generated scenarios or something to that effect? I'm finding it hard to get a clear answer on how game progression works.

God I really hope this doesn't suck

Been waiting so long for this that I imagine I will simply lie to myself if I don't enjoy it. Great concept, and although I'm not entirely sure how it all shakes out, the gameplay I've seen looks promising.

I watched a bit, and I absolutely love the look of the combat system. I had no idea it was so involved, with the whole time system.

The game is semi-roguelike, right? Like, somewhat procedurally generated scenarios or something to that effect? I'm finding it hard to get a clear answer on how game progression works.
From when I played it last year, you unlock additional characters (and items? events?) as you played, but characters and runs have no interaction with each other- kind of like FTL but with unlocks flowing into persistent runs.

I think. It's been awhile and the save/not save thing was questioned feature when I was playing.

Knowledge of how events worked and how to move around town is the true progression system, I think. 😂

I know one (short) game I'm going to play:

• Explore an atmospheric and detailed environment, carefully crafted in the style of PS1 horror titles.
  • Solve puzzles, find clues and uncover Eleanor's story.
  • Step into a surreal, gruesome, yet beautiful world.
I'm in! If your keywords are X-Files, Twin Peaks, Silent Hill, and PS1 survival horror, I'm there. So happy the indie set has found the low poly groove as of late.

ss_8b87c38185e66e2d116230dc6abd1adc5d16fa06.600x338.jpg

This Halloween season I'm gonna be playing REmake
iu

Damn fine game- on some days it's my favorite? I hope you like inventory management and optimizing paths through a hellish maze of straight up iconic creeeeepy crawliiiieeessss 😂

Back
Top Bottom