• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Bloomberg is reporting that iOS 17 will be the first iOS version to support sideloading (downloading apps outside the app store)

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
And iOS 17 will cause some noise beyond WWDC itself. Apple is working to overhaul the software to open up the iPhone to sideloading — the downloading of apps outside of its official store — to comply with new European regulations by next year.
(source)

this is a massive deal in pretty much every sector.
apps that Apple doesn't allow on their store, such as emulators and Fortnite. will work properly without needing to hack the system.
preserving iOS apps will become a lot easier since they're no longer locked to the store by default, Android has already had instances where unreleased titles have been rescued thanks to one of the devs releasing the .apk to sideload. so more situations like that are possible.

currently the big issue here is how Apple could handle the regulations, there's concerns that they could potentially lock the feature to devices sold on the EU. meaning more legal wrangling would need to be done to get them to comply worldwide. but it seems unlikely (and extremely difficult) for them to lock support like that.

I'm going to be honest, I wasn't expecting them to actually allow this like this. I was assuming they'd find some weird loophole to both meet whatever legal requirements while stifling sideloading.

Very curious if this will lead to the same thing on consoles in the future.

It's unlikely to apply to consoles at the moment. The EU digital law specifically requires at least 45 million monthly users within the EU. None of the current consoles are likely to reach that number, so it won't be applied. (The switch is at ~30m units sold in Europe but that includes non EU markets like sigh the UK, it's unlikely to get all the way up to 45m)

While this seems like a big deal to a lot of people, I will likely not sideload any apps. I primarily use browsers, YouTube, gmail, and Google Maps in that order. I frequently have to tell websites like Reddit that I don’t want to download the app.

Due to my use case, I actually kind of like the closed nature of iOS. Still, remaining within the confines of the AppStore is a choice I can and will make in the future to make so it’s coolio that the EU is forcing Apple’s hand here for others who want the other options.

I probably won’t use the feature a lot myself either, but the EU deserves massive credit for all the cases recently of stricter European consumer regulations breaking up frustrating monopolisation moves of private international juggernauts.

While this seems like a big deal to a lot of people, I will likely not sideload any apps. I primarily use browsers, YouTube, gmail, and Google Maps in that order. I frequently have to tell websites like Reddit that I don’t want to download the app.

Due to my use case, I actually kind of like the closed nature of iOS. Still, remaining within the confines of the AppStore is a choice I can and will make in the future to make so it’s coolio that the EU is forcing Apple’s hand here for others who want the other options.
A load of people on android use modified or alternate YouTube clients like revanced or newpipe to block ads and allow background playback and downloads without premium. Maybe you'd be interested in that?

And yeah Reddit is annoyingly aggressive about its trash level app these days.

Funny, considering Android is going to severly limit it, which actually sucks:

Never really liked the iOS ecosystem, but one of the reasons was the rigidity of it. This is a great move, without a doubt.
Do not like the sound of that crap. Going to seriously look at stuff like lineage OS if it ends up bad.

Probably wont use it on my phone, but could be a lot of fun uses on iPad.

Emulation, code compiling, using the screen as separate monitor for another device will hopefully be possible.

Back
Top Bottom