• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Blast Corps/Jet Force Gemini Director Martin Wakeley joins Playtonic Games

Call me a hopeless romantic, but seeing the so many of the old Rare crew back together and free from Microsoft warms my heart.
Impossible Lair was a terrific little game and I can't wait to see what they cook up next.

Wonderful pickup. The more Nintendo era folks flock to Playtonic, the better.

Now if they could, you know, RELEASE a new game of their own, we'd be cookin'!

The more the merrier! Really happy how the team is shaping up.

Playtonic has been silent for quite a while now, takes me back to simpler times, times where Rareware was secretive and no one knew anything.

I have a lot of trust in this studio especially seeing how fast they grew as a company and now that they are not bound by the shackles of Kickstarter.

Oh the gang is getting back together. I hope they hire much of Free Radical's crew too, Doak and Ellis included.

Wonder what they're cooking there, it's been 5 years since the launch of Impossible Lair...

Fantastic news! JFG in particular is one of Rare’s greatest gems, despite its difficulty. Definitely amongst my favorite sci-fi games.

Oh the gang is getting back together. I hope they hire much of Free Radical's crew too, Doak and Ellis included.

Wonder what they're cooking there, it's been 5 years since the launch of Impossible Lair...

This video interview from a couple of months ago gives some really good insight into the company

I really do hope for the best for Playtonic. Yooka Laylee was rough, but Impossible Lair was a great time. So I have faith in this team to make smaller scale games. As long as they take things one step at a time hopefully they'll make solid games.

not only him,but also two programmers from diddy kong racing/jet force gemini

not only him,but also two programmers from diddy kong racing/jet force gemini

This is so awesome! More and more of the old Rareware guard joining the teams! I can’t wait to see what all they’ve been cooking up over there!

I'm more waiting for them to poach George Andreas (director of DK64 and Kameo) from wherever he's been. He was at Sony's London Studio working on VR stuff but already left but yeah. Lee Schuneman (director of Diddy Kong Racing and Star Fox Adventures) would also be a huge get. Think he ironically was at MS's Soho team on Holo Lens stuff years ago.

Actually, the fuck has Chris Seavor and Gory Detail been up to since Rusty Pup? Crying shame he gave up on porting that. Surely a Switch port is feasible, at least only portable if touch is required. Wii U was perfect for it. Alas. :(

So all we need now are Chris Seavor, Gregg Mayles and the Stamper Bros and most of the old crew is as good as complete.

So all we need now are Chris Seavor, Gregg Mayles and the Stamper Bros and most of the old crew is as good as complete.
Don't forget the Goldeneye team. Martin Hollis, David Doak, Steve Ellis and Duncan Botwood. And the composer Greame Norgate. I'm not sure if Hollis and Botwood are active anymore, but Doak and Ellis just got their newly formed Free Radical shut down. Maybe they can create a Perfect Dark/Timesplitters spiritual successor at Playtonic?

Gosh, I am so psyched to see what PlayTonic comes up with next. I was so absurdly psyched for Yooka-Laylee and though I didn't care for the game much the follow-up was one of my all-time favorite platformers. The state changes to the levels made an absolutely brilliant game even more engaging and clever.

Gosh, I am so psyched to see what PlayTonic comes up with next. I was so absurdly psyched for Yooka-Laylee and though I didn't care for the game much the follow-up was one of my all-time favorite platformers. The state changes to the levels made an absolutely brilliant game even more engaging and clever.
Yeah and it's been so long, hopefully they are giving us something big.

Impossible Lair must be one of the most improved sequels of all time. I would take both a Blast Corps and a JFG spiritual successor. I love both games.

I love these guys as much as anyone else, but I'm still waiting for an amazing game from them. Impossible Lair was okay, I think the Zelda overworld worked better than the main game itself. Hopefully we will hear what they're doing next soon.

First time I've heard about it, but after watching some videos this looks nothing like JFG. I mean can you call it JFG-like if it has no shooting?

It does have shooting! The worlds in the game have two different segments going on. You have your segments that are there exclusively for action-based third person shooting where you’re fighting the ant looking drones and other enemies that look like they were lifted right out of JFG, down to the very sounds they make and their obvious appearance. Even the weapons you use are similar! Outside of those segments, you’re basically exploring the world and collecting things in what is essentially a 3D platformer.

It’s actually a pretty cool way to divide the gameplay tbh. Neither segment is as good as Rare’s top platformers nor JFG, but it’s good still imo and worth giving a shot.

Also, David Wise handled the soundtrack and it has some of his best work! I personally put this song from the game amongst his best

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom