• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Being a Donkey Kong fan is suffering

gotta admit, never thought I'd see the day somebody argued yoshi's Island was better than story. you should try story, it's on nso.
Did you reverse these? I don't feel strongly about it, but Yoshi's Island is definitely more highly regarded than Story.

Really excited to see where Donkey Kong as a franchise goes next! Or I guess in a more meme-worthy case, where the dong expands next? :X
Oh dear...

Nope. From what I've seen most consider Yoshi's Island to be pretty but boring, while Story is a hidden gem.
I've tried multiple times to play through Yoshi's Island and I always give up early on. It just felt like I had no idea what was going on a lot of the time. I really enjoyed Crafted World and especially Woolly World, though. Always wanted to try Story, since it's a divisive entry and that makes it intriguing.

Don't want to continue derailing this topic, but I also never liked Yoshi's Island. It's gorgeous, but I've tried it multiple times and always get bored within a few worlds. Not sure exactly why but it just feels like a chore to go through each level. Collecting things doesn't add anything for me either.

I did beat Yoshi's Story back in the day. All I remember is that it was so short I beat it within a rental and thought it was pretty unmemorable. Guess I'm just not a Yoshi fan, although I like Yoshi as a character.

Nope. From what I've seen most consider Yoshi's Island to be pretty but boring, while Story is a hidden gem.

It's not an opinion I share, but I've also seen more and more people saying this. It's especially common among the real "N64heads". The sad thing for me is, with N64 NSO introducing Yoshi's Story to a new generation, their numbers only continue to grow. I'm one of the last holdouts...

It's not an opinion I share, but I've also seen more and more people saying this. It's especially common among the real "N64heads". The sad thing for me is, with N64 NSO introducing Yoshi's Story to a new generation, their numbers only continue to grow. I'm one of the last holdouts...
I gotta say Clov, I admire your ability to stay strong in what you believe in. If any N64heads give you trouble I've got your back.

Yoshi’s Island is a masterpiece. Yoshi’s Story is kinda bad and easily my least favorite Yoshi (only haven’t played the 3DS one), though I agree opinion is slowly shifting to more positive. When I get NSO EP, I’m somewhat looking forward to replaying and reevaluating it.

I feel it's irresponsible of Nintendo to let people have the option to play Yoshi's Story. But of course, the Almighty Dollar outweighs common morality and decency once again 🙄

Yeah that seems like a very, very loose definition of the word ‘most’.

Even as someone who played Yoshi’s Story as one of their first ever video games and loved it at the time, going back to it after playing Island is... not flattering to it, to put it kindly.

On topic: I really hope this rumoured DK games is real. Tropical Freeze is incredible and I’d love to see how people from the 3D Mario team would try to follow it up.

Star Fox is Nintendo's prodigal son. No matter how many times it fails it gets a second chance.

If anything Star Fox fans should be kissing Nintendo's feet for the series being given so many chances.

Harumph.
Star Fox being Miyamoto's child is part of the problem. He just won't accept what Star Fox is when it's actually good, a multi-path rail shooter with occasional free roam battles. Imagine if we actually got a true sequel to 64 for once instead of yet another remake with bad control gimmicks added or on-foot BS that literally no one likes.

I think Wario Land was done the dirtiest of all. No good new games since the turn of the century and an existing series that is seemingly its replacement.
If you're putting disrespect on Shake It's name, I have to object. It may not be as good as Wario Land 4, but how many games truly are? It's still an awesome game and I love it as much as the other entries in the series.

Even then, it's been 13 years... we're due. Wario Land is one of my favorite series of all, and it sucks to see it dormant.

I'm just tired. Ever since the Rare buyout almost two decades ago now the franchise is in a constant state of uncertainty. Even with all the rumors swirling around and the theme park opening, I really dislike being unsure what the future will hold. This is a damn good series that almost always sells well. I just hate that I never know when or if we'll get another game. It's one of my favorites and has been with me for as long as I've played video games. It should be front and center as a pillar IP.

...this is an ironic complaint I suppose given that since the SNES every Nintendo platformer thus far has gotten a brand new DK platformer before the end of its lifespan, and the Switch's lifespan is far from over.

But I'm still gonna complain.

At least K. Rool got into Smash.

E38xT_eWEAA_aWw

Share your woes, fellow Kongs. This is a safe space.
I’m replaying DKC3 right now haven’t played since 96

If you're putting disrespect on Shake It's name, I have to object. It may not be as good as Wario Land 4, but how many games truly are? It's still an awesome game and I love it as much as the other entries in the series.

Even then, it's been 13 years... we're due. Wario Land is one of my favorite series of all, and it sucks to see it dormant.
I would give it 2/5. Some of the most misguided art direction I've seen in a game.

I adore Yoshi's Woolly World. It is the absolute perfect chill out platformer, and I love it way more than I do any other Yoshi game. Sorry not sorry.

Back to DK though, I think part of the reason I'm so optimistic about DK's future is because I became a fan during the dark "Battle for the DK Series Soul" era. I witnessed firsthand the series being pulled in every which direction with no idea where it'd ultimately end up. But through it all, the Rare branch was still there. It was the GBA port of DKC1 that properly introduced me to the series (and gaming as a whole), and the further GBA ports helped the series maintain some sort of stability and help my love of the series grow. And in the end, the Rare style did win out. And if the rumors about that younger team being inspired by the OG DKC are true, it'll win out again just like it did last time. We just gotta be patient.

So yeah, not worried at all.

gotta admit, never thought I'd see the day somebody argued yoshi's Island was better than story. you should try story, it's on nso.
I had to read that about three times. I have literally never heard anyone say that before today.

1995 was a great year to play games, Yoshi's Island and Diddy's Kong Quest in the same year.

Try being a Wario fan!

I didn't really put it in perspective until this topic how so few DK games there are despite how wildly successful the games are. Didn't Returns on Wii do like, 6+million in sales?

Here's hoping that the rumoured in-house DK platformer is true. Tropical Freeze and DKC2 are by far the best platformers ever made, and the rest of the series isn't too far off from that. Hell I feel like Jungle Beat is really underrated, that game really scratched the DK platforming itch for me between 64 and Returns.

the best game in the franchise came out over the last ten years I'd say that's not so bad

This thread became a competition of which fanbase suffers more? lol

Well, regardless, Donkey Kong is (or used to) be a Nintendo pillar, and it getting less and less attention is not just depressing but also odd. But again, I have faith in the rumors of the EPD game and the expansion on Super Nintendo World, completely separated from the Mario side is great news.

I'm just tired. Ever since the Rare buyout almost two decades ago now the franchise is in a constant state of uncertainty. Even with all the rumors swirling around and the theme park opening, I really dislike being unsure what the future will hold. This is a damn good series that almost always sells well. I just hate that I never know when or if we'll get another game. It's one of my favorites and has been with me for as long as I've played video games. It should be front and center as a pillar IP.

...this is an ironic complaint I suppose given that since the SNES every Nintendo platformer thus far has gotten a brand new DK platformer before the end of its lifespan, and the Switch's lifespan is far from over.

E38xT_eWEAA_aWw

Stop whining

To be fair metroid is more relevant 4 games in the last ten years where as technically only one DK game was released unless you count the eshop game.
Two of them are loathed, and Samus Returns is OK. The last numbered Metroid was twenty years ago, and the last Prime was 2007.

If you ignore Federation Force (which has none of the characteristics of a Metroid game) I'll ignore Mini-Land Mayhem, Minis On The Move, and Tipping Stars

I mean the last one came out in 2013 and was a series/genre highlight, that's not too bad especially with rumors of another one coming.

I'd like to see another attempt at a 3D Donkey Kong made. Jungle Beat, Returns and Tropical Freeze we're excellent, but it seems like Nintendo is skittish about 3D Kong after one bad experience.

I think the big issue is making a 3D game that couldn't just be a 3D Mario game instead. Rare added the Coconut Gun and a bunch of subgames to differentiate, I think the likes of EPD wouldn't settle for that.

I think adding the feeling of DKC into a 3D space would already feel distinct to 3D Mario. I was thinking DK could have a "Cappy" friend but it was his tie and he could use that to swing around the environment and lasso his enemies. Call it Tai or something.

As Silent Hill fan, all i can say is "Awww look they think they are suffering, so cute"

Just kidding, i just got Tropical Freeze for the Switch (Never played the Wii U version) and i´m having a blast to be honest.

E38xT_eWEAA_aWw

Dear OP, have you heard of Turrican, The Lord of Cancelled Comebacks ? ^^

Anyway, let's hope Nintendo have something for the 40th anniversary of our good monke friend.

Y'know, as a huge fan of both DKC and Metroid, I'm much more satisfied as a Metroid fan than I am a DKC fan currently. When I count up the games I care about from each franchise, Metroid has the leg up.

Metroid has: 5 excellent 2D mainline games, 3 3D titles that took the series to new heights, 2 wonderful remakes that are even better than the originals, and one game I personally enjoyed despite its problems (Other M)

DKC has: 5 excellent 2D mainline games, 2 great spin-offs (Jungle Beat and Diddy Kong Racing), and one 3D game that, while I enjoy it, it isn't exactly what I and many others envision a 3D DKC to be.

It's only slightly over DK but yeah. Sure, DK and sometimes Diddy and crew get to be in Mario spinoffs but I personally don't care about those games. It's cool they are there but they don't make up for the lack of DKC games.

With the theme park ride and the rumors about DK moving in house, I'm hopeful of course. I do worry about the fact Emily hasn't heard a single thing about the rumors though.

I had a vivid dream recently where nintendo put out a remake of dk 64 that looked really sharp, but the kongs all controlled like chunky kong and the frame rate was even worse

This thread became a competition of which fanbase suffers more? lol

Well, regardless, Donkey Kong is (or used to) be a Nintendo pillar, and it getting less and less attention is not just depressing but also odd. But again, I have faith in the rumors of the EPD game and the expansion on Super Nintendo World, completely separated from the Mario side is great news.
Who ever wins…we lose.

Back
Top Bottom