• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Being a Donkey Kong fan is suffering

Someone brought up Metroid but you gotta realize Metroid is a smaller IP compared to how big DK is. Yet, DK gets jack shit in terms of how big it is. I mean the series has not gotten a 3D game since the N64 while Metroid has gotten both 3D games and 2Ds and it's not as popular (It's getting a goddamn Prime Remake and a new Prime game).
But .... that's the point.

Why would you be scared for a larger series when we all know it's going to return anyways? Donkey Kong not getting consistent releases is a developer problem, Nintendo needs someone to develop the games (possibly even EPD themselves), not an issue with a lack of success. Frankly that's a much less worrying reason than having a developer problem AND a lack of big success, which is what most of Nintendo's smaller IP suffer from.

I don't know ... isn't it also possible that Nintendo just thinks Tropical Freeze is enough for the Switch, too?

Again, the lack of consistent releases given how big the series is can be aggravating. But the point is that the series is safe because it's so much bigger than all of their other dead franchises, not that it's equivalent to them.

yes, which would be bad
Yeah, I definitely agree. That's a behavior I feel like we've seen from Nintendo a lot on the Switch honestly, but the system might end up having such a big life that I'm trying to hold judgment till then. No original 2D Zelda on Switch also hurts, even if Zelda has been catered to much more on the Switch than Donkey Kong, obviously.

I got into DKC1 around the time the rumors of an EPD made game were coming out, and just before the Direct. Worst time to get into that game, knowing there might not be a new DK soon :(

People keep mentioning "imagine being an X fan," but like... most of those series were not successful enough to get a continuation, lol.

Only Donkey Kong is Suffering From Success
The Fire Emblem games did middling to poorly until they didn't, now it's considered a major IP. Xenoblade took three entries (and several ports) to finally break a million sales per game, now we've gotten 3 releases (soon to be 4) on Switch.

Nintendo doesn't retire their poorer-selling franchises like most publishers do, especially if the series show promise or were once massively popular. This is what gives fans who grew up with those franchises hope. I mean, they even resurrected Pilotwings, and people weren't exactly clamoring for it. These smaller franchises are more niche, but they fill in diversity gaps in their portfolio to bring in a wider range of people.

They can use some of their billions in profit from Mario Kart 8, BOTW, Smash Ultimate and Splatoon 2 to fund their more niche IPs and see if they'll have another franchise breakthrough again.

Donkey Kong is probably ones of the most recognizable gaming characters in the world. We got sayings like "it's on like Donkey Kong" and memes like Expand Dong. He's tied to the hip to the biggest video game characters in Mario. At the very least even if we gotta wait a while I don't think there is ever any doubt that a new game will be coming.

Star Fox is Nintendo's prodigal son. No matter how many times it fails it gets a second chance.

If anything Star Fox fans should be kissing Nintendo's feet for the series being given so many chances.

Harumph.

And that's why I keep telling people to stop being DK fans. It's futile.
It's not futile, it's only futile if you believe it is. Metroid fans waited 19 years for an original 2D game, but eventually, it did happen.

DK is seemingly gearing up for a huge return with a dedicated team, the theme park expansion, his own merch line, and his own film. 100% he already has a substantial role in Mario’s film next year given how many DK characters are coming alongside him and he did get an awesome, short adventure on Switch already as he headlined the Mario and Rabbids DLC. We’ll probably start hearing about all things Donkey Kong by E3 next year. Given all of that, I’m not worried he’s being neglected anymore. The only major DK snub lately was not getting Dixie Kong in Smash Ultimate alongside K. Rool.

Try being a Yakuza fan. New game or spinoff every year. You will never go hungry, I promise.
Lol.

Means they get budget binned in no time. Already saw Lost Judgement for € 30 or less.

Star Fox is Nintendo's prodigal son. No matter how many times it fails it gets a second chance.

If anything Star Fox fans should be kissing Nintendo's feet for the series being given so many chances.

Harumph.
Eh. More like they roll out a Star Fox 64 remake every 5 years. The series sadly hasn’t truly moved forward since 2006. It’d be like, if instead of Skyward Sword and BOTW, we got remakes of Ocarina of Time over and over for mainline releases. Sure it’s a great game, but Zelda fans would be hungry for something truly new instead of retreading a well-worn path repeatedly.

Star Fox, IMO, is in the same boat 2D Metroid was in before Dread.

I can't remeber the last Donkey Kong game that wasn't at least very good.
So although I think Nintendo should invest more in the series, every time they do, the results are amazing.

I don't know.. I'm as anxious for some new content as any other DK fan.. it's been so long since Tropical Freeze, I appreciate any crumbs of DK content in spinoffs and cameos (K. Rool in Smash for sure isn't "just" crumbs, but you can get my drift); And all the reassurance that DK is coming back in a big way, possibly even in a bigger way than it was back in the 90's on the SNES/N64 era, it's getting me excited for the short term future!

Maybe I'm just too blindly convinced by what DK Vine says, but I don't think there's much reason to believe they'd lie to their audience, so I'm here waiting but excited! Hang in there, Mekanos! 🐺 ✨

DK part in Nintendo theme park is not rumor its fact, we saw pictures, and we have solid rumors that Nintendo is working on new DK game,
so yeah, it still important for Nintendo.

I'm glad they abandoned most of the Rare stuff but I'm ready for a new arcade game. It's time to give Diddy the boot and get Jr and Stanley back in there.
I think this post may mean we're now mortal enemies (not for realsies though, I'm joking). I actually want to see a lot of Rare stuff come back. Yes, even Candy Kong (with the caveat that they give her a redesign. Girl needs it).

It’d be like, if instead of Skyward Sword and BOTW, we got remakes of Ocarina of Time over and over for mainline releases. Sure it’s a great game, but Zelda fans would be hungry for something truly new instead of retreading a well-worn path repeatedly.

Would it be too snarky to say that was exactly what 3d Zelda was doing essentially until BOTW happened.

I think this post may mean we're now mortal enemies (not for realsies though, I'm joking). I actually want to see a lot of Rare stuff come back. Yes, even Candy Kong (with the caveat that they give her a redesign. Girl needs it).
hey we can agree there, I'd rather see Candy than Diddy or Funky

Nintendo has been at a loss for what to do with DK ever since Rare left. It's been nothing but Mario spinoffs and random, experimental games in the past 20 years, with the exception of the Returns series - but now that's over with, too, with Retro having moved on to other projects.

The news of DK moving to in-house development is encouraging. I hope something good comes of it.

Donkey Kong is such an iconic character, and recognizable in broader pop culture. I wish he was more prominent. As much as I love DKC 2D platformers, it seems like he's stuck in a rut with a once-a-generation release, like Mario Golf.

Luckily, the DKC games are still amazing so I guess I can't complain too much. But I've always wanted him to be more than just a featured character in Mario games.

We will always have Donkey Kong Country 2 and fans of other platformer series will always exist wishing their favorites were 15% as good. Is that a bad life as a fan of DKC?

sure but have you ever been a Yoshi's Island fan?
Virtually every game after that one has been varying levels of not [as] good.

DK at least had Tropical Freeze recently

Yoshi's Story fans stay winning, sitting on a game so good it doesn't even need a sequel.

Try being a Star Fox fan.
Or a Wario Land fan.
I think Wario Land was done the dirtiest of all. No good new games since the turn of the century and an existing series that is seemingly its replacement.

Yoshi's Story fans stay winning, sitting on a game so good it doesn't even need a sequel.

I think Wario Land was done the dirtiest of all. No good new games since the turn of the century and an existing series that is seemingly its replacement.
Yoshi Story is the reason I put as in brackets... so that you can read NOT GOOD

Being a Donkey Kong fan is a gift. It teaches you patience. You'll receive a new game perhaps once a decade, when you'd already lost hope, and you'll enjoy it. After that, you'll retreat to your banana hoard cave and play the old games while you wait, patiently, like a babuin, for a new game to come out. Somehow.

Rejoice, brethrens, as you shall receive enlightenment through Donkey Kong. And so it shall be.

We got Wooly World. Superior to Island 😈 There. I said it. Again. :D

True Yoshi fans should never expect a sequel at the original's level anyway. That's not happening, ever. Us Yoshi are fans more than happy with what we got.

Also unlike DKC, Yoshi games bring a new mechanic with every game. Might not be original's level, but every entry feels fresh. DKC is still stuck in runner mine cart levels.

Being a Donkey Kong fan is a gift. It teaches you patience. You'll receive a new game perhaps once a decade, when you'd already lost hope, and you'll enjoy it. After that, you'll retreat to your banana hoard cave and play the old games while you wait, patiently, like a babuin, for a new game to come out. Somehow.

Rejoice, brethrens, as you shall receive enlightenment through Donkey Kong. And so it shall be.
ddqg4ab-58b189a7-ccba-4302-9459-a8d6833aba62.png

Would it be too snarky to say that was exactly what 3d Zelda was doing essentially until BOTW happened.
LOL! Good point! Yeah, Zelda needed a shakeup, just like Star Fox does. People keep saying they want more Star Fox 64, but they technically have only gotten that since Command. Time for a big revamp.

Nintendo has been at a loss for what to do with DK ever since Rare left. It's been nothing but Mario spinoffs and random, experimental games in the past 20 years, with the exception of the Returns series - but now that's over with, too, with Retro having moved on to other projects.

The news of DK moving to in-house development is encouraging. I hope something good comes of it.

Well, this is where the whole "battle for DK's soul" occurred. That decade or so after Rare's departure was basically Nintendo trying to find a direction for the series to go. Even possibly making DK a bad guy for Mario, again. But despite the many attempts to look elsewhere, it was still Rare's legacy that won out handily over all the others. Proven by how Diddy, then K. Rool found their way into Smash, and how a reinvigoration of the DKC formula (by Retro) was still proven very apt in modern times.

The word that said in-house team is comprised of devs that grew up playing and loving the DKC series was the best thing that could've happened, in my eyes. At this point, I'm not really worried about DK's prospects, at all. He and Samus both seem to be going through the kind of renaissance that I can only hope Fox McCloud and some others experience, soon enough.

Since the new DK is rumored to be internal I'm thinking of spinning up the last internal game - Jungle Beat, and keybinding the entire left and right side of my keyboard as bongos to slap my laptop like a big dumb ape

Back
Top Bottom