• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Bayonetta Origins is the best game Platinum has ever made.

AranPrime

Octorok
Pronouns
He
Before I start, I have a small request. Could someone please volunteer and copy/paste this thread onto Resetera. Spoilers, I'm going to be mostly gushing about this game and I'd like to share this enthusiasm with as many people as possible and get them to try this game. Thanks and now to the main feature.

First, I'm gonna put my cards on the table; I'm not a big Bayonetta fan. I think the first one is like a 7 that has good combat but poor bosses (with one exception) and too much bullshit that separates the combat sequences. Bayonetta 2 reduced the bullshit considerably but made combat into a mindless spam-Umbran-Climax-fest. Due to my less than stellar experiences with the franchise and the mixed fan reception to it, I ended up skipping on Bayonetta 3 and still have no desire to check it out.

Then Bayonetta Origins drops in March 2023, gets good if not stellar reviews, seems to be a major departure in terms of gameplay and presentation and I decide, out of curiosity and not knowing what to play next, to check it out. The result; I think Bayonetta Origins is easily the best game in the series and probably the best game Platinum has ever made (I haven't played Nier yet).

Right off the bat, this game's vibes are off the freaking charts. Tons of games like Kirby's Epic Yarn and Odin Sphere have storybook presentations but I can't think of any that match Bayonetta Origins with it's combination of the artsyle, the music and especially the voice over. The ingredients aren't original, but the execution is just stellar. No matter what I would think of the gameplay, I knew immediately that when it came to pure style, this game is a 10.

But then the gameplay kicks in and it's right up there with Vanquish and W101 as the best of the dev's catalog. If you're like me and thought the dual protag combat in Astral Chain was lackluster, partially since the Legion felt more like a multi-form weapon rather than a combat partner, than this might be what you're looking for as it feels like a far more complex version of Ico or Brothers. Cheshire, the demon companion, is your primary source for dealing damage and will only be taken off the battlefield once you run out of magic meter or if he takes too much consecutive damage while Cereza can cast spells that can stun enemies, pick up Cheshire when he's knocked out and has the primary health bar you must manage. As you go through the game, Cheshire acquires elemental forms that change his move set. Side note, I can't help but chuckle at the fact that you get 4 elemental forms in total making this in a sense Platinum's redo/apology for their Avatar game. Now in terms of challenge, the combat is mostly a breeze but never dull from my experience. However, if you would like more of a challenge from the get-go, then you can input a "Platinum Code" on the main menu to unlock harder modes without having to beat the game first.

But in addition to the moveset, these forms also enable abilities that let you traverse Bayonetta Origins Metroidvania world, often time in conjunction with the dual protag mechanic; You'll grab a platform with your grass form to let Cereza reach on to it and then as Cheshire lead that platform next to another vertical layer where she can get off, and finally, with a simple tap of a button, you can send Cheshire right back to her in his doll form. Of course as you'd expect from this kind of game, there are upgrades hidden in the world that you get by using new abilities. These take the form of Moon Pearls and Inferno Fruits which are used to unlock new abilities for both character. Unlocking upgrades also requires another set of currencies that are dropped by enemies or scattered in the environment, more akin to traditional action game. This is a bit convoluted as one can presume it'd be simpler to just give each character one requirement instead of two but I get the sense that this done to be remain in tone with the game being BOTH a metroidvania and an action game and thus they decided to keep the character progression of the respective genres, so as to make players engage with both facets.

Outside of discovering these, you can also find bonus challenge rooms, of both the puzzle and combat variety, and lost wisps. The former reward you with currencies while the latter rejoin their kin in a playground area with you getting rewards after discovering a set number of them in addition to just having the pleasure of watching them gradually increase in number in the area. As for a slight negative,
another aspect of exploration is a rhythm mini-game where you control Cereza using her powers to manipulate objects in the environment. It's simple and never too long but definitely feels a bit basic and is barely made more complex as you go through the game.

But now let's get to the part of this game that truly shocked me. Are you ready? Listen up. Bayonetta Origins is like Dark Souls 1. No stop, come back, this isn't a joke. I kid you not, this game has a vertical map that's reminiscent of DS1's. One second you're in one area of the world and then you take an elevator that goes down and, wabham, you're right back in a previous zone and have now unlocked a shortcut. And here's how I know the influence is obvious; There's a secret area in this game, the only optional one in it, called the Sunkissed Shore that is a beach covered in pale white sand. Sound familiar?

Now I do need to set your expectations for this aspect of the game; it's not as well done as Dark Souls 1 since you get quick travel pretty early in the game and because the map is pretty, pretty, pretty bad. It's easily the worst thing about this game, being overstylized to the point of being almost unreadable, and thus it's hard to mentally visualize the vertical levels of the world especially in an isometric game where you can't just look up or down. Nevertheless, the sheer fact that this Bayonetta spin-off's world design even remotely reminded me of Dark Souls 1 still blows my mind.

So combat is great, exploration is great, the style is 10/10 but what about the story? Well let me ask you something; do you like Magical Girl animes? Because that's exactly what Bayonetta Origins is and a damn good one at that, probably the best one in this medium (not that there's much competition besides I guess Princess Crown or some other niche game I'm forgetting about). It also has a kid-meets-pet side that's really well done. Neither angle are gonna blow your mind but they're done with a great deal of sincerity and lightheartedness that prevents them from being a bother especially when combined with the great presentation. It's easily the best narrative in this series even though that's not saying much. Another side note, or tangent rather, but I still don't get how people act like the prior games had narratives worth dedicating brain cells over and how 3's story tarnished it all. Like come on people, those stories were just white noise. You went through them to get to the gameplay. And just like DMC, when they turned that shit into an anime, nobody watched it. Like I'm sure 3's story is terrible, but big woop. End of rant.

Alright to bring this all to a close, I originally started writing this thing back in November, when I was getting frustrated at how little attention this gem was getting and unfortunately got distracted and left this on the side. But today is this game's one year anniversary so I thought I'd go ahead and complete it. Back when I finished this game (did I mention it has a fantastic ending), I thought there was a strong chance that this would be the best game I would play this year and that turned out to be true. This game is spectacular. This is the game that everyone talks about when they say they want more ps2-like games. Or when they say they want more bold AA games. Well it came out and barely anyone played it. Their loss I suppose because this is undoubtedly going to become a major cult classic like Okami or God Hand. I bring those two games up specifically because this is the game by Platinum that most reminded me of their previous work as Clover. If that's not the highest praise then I don't know what is.

Can’t say I entirely agree with some of the more negative comments in the OP (particularly when it comes to the story of the other Bayonetta games), but yes, this game is absolutely delightful.

Also—you can play it in co-op! It’s not an “official” co-op mode, but it works great regardless; one player controls Cereza with one Joy-Con, and the other player controls Cheshire with the other Joy-Con. That’s how my partner and I played it and we had a great time together.

Like I said, I haven't gotten to Nier yet and besides VJ is Clover. If we're counting their Clover output, I'd say it's their second best game, right behind God Hand.
You should definitely try it, from what you said I think you’d enjoy it.
I’ll try bayonetta origins after what you said though, everyone that tries it seems really positive.

So do I have any volunteers to copy/paste this on Resetera? Like I said, I just really want to spread the love for this game as widely as possible.

This game was a swimmin' in 7's for me. A nice little side story, but nothing spectacular. My favorite part was actually the ending sequence where it was most similar to classic Bayonetta gameplay. It did have it's moments though throughout the story though as well.

Before I start, I have a small request. Could someone please volunteer and copy/paste this thread onto Resetera. Spoilers, I'm going to be mostly gushing about this game and I'd like to share this enthusiasm with as many people as possible and get them to try this game. Thanks and now to the main feature.

First, I'm gonna put my cards on the table; I'm not a big Bayonetta fan. I think the first one is like a 7 that has good combat but poor bosses (with one exception) and too much bullshit that separates the combat sequences. Bayonetta 2 reduced the bullshit considerably but made combat into a mindless spam-Umbran-Climax-fest. Due to my less than stellar experiences with the franchise and the mixed fan reception to it, I ended up skipping on Bayonetta 3 and still have no desire to check it out.

Then Bayonetta Origins drops in March 2023, gets good if not stellar reviews, seems to be a major departure in terms of gameplay and presentation and I decide, out of curiosity and not knowing what to play next, to check it out. The result; I think Bayonetta Origins is easily the best game in the series and probably the best game Platinum has ever made (I haven't played Nier yet).

Right off the bat, this game's vibes are off the freaking charts. Tons of games like Kirby's Epic Yarn and Odin Sphere have storybook presentations but I can't think of any that match Bayonetta Origins with it's combination of the artsyle, the music and especially the voice over. The ingredients aren't original, but the execution is just stellar. No matter what I would think of the gameplay, I knew immediately that when it came to pure style, this game is a 10.

But then the gameplay kicks in and it's right up there with Vanquish and W101 as the best of the dev's catalog. If you're like me and thought the dual protag combat in Astral Chain was lackluster, partially since the Legion felt more like a multi-form weapon rather than a combat partner, than this might be what you're looking for as it feels like a far more complex version of Ico or Brothers. Cheshire, the demon companion, is your primary source for dealing damage and will only be taken off the battlefield once you run out of magic meter or if he takes too much consecutive damage while Cereza can cast spells that can stun enemies, pick up Cheshire when he's knocked out and has the primary health bar you must manage. As you go through the game, Cheshire acquires elemental forms that change his move set. Side note, I can't help but chuckle at the fact that you get 4 elemental forms in total making this in a sense Platinum's redo/apology for their Avatar game. Now in terms of challenge, the combat is mostly a breeze but never dull from my experience. However, if you would like more of a challenge from the get-go, then you can input a "Platinum Code" on the main menu to unlock harder modes without having to beat the game first.

But in addition to the moveset, these forms also enable abilities that let you traverse Bayonetta Origins Metroidvania world, often time in conjunction with the dual protag mechanic; You'll grab a platform with your grass form to let Cereza reach on to it and then as Cheshire lead that platform next to another vertical layer where she can get off, and finally, with a simple tap of a button, you can send Cheshire right back to her in his doll form. Of course as you'd expect from this kind of game, there are upgrades hidden in the world that you get by using new abilities. These take the form of Moon Pearls and Inferno Fruits which are used to unlock new abilities for both character. Unlocking upgrades also requires another set of currencies that are dropped by enemies or scattered in the environment, more akin to traditional action game. This is a bit convoluted as one can presume it'd be simpler to just give each character one requirement instead of two but I get the sense that this done to be remain in tone with the game being BOTH a metroidvania and an action game and thus they decided to keep the character progression of the respective genres, so as to make players engage with both facets.

Outside of discovering these, you can also find bonus challenge rooms, of both the puzzle and combat variety, and lost wisps. The former reward you with currencies while the latter rejoin their kin in a playground area with you getting rewards after discovering a set number of them in addition to just having the pleasure of watching them gradually increase in number in the area. As for a slight negative,
another aspect of exploration is a rhythm mini-game where you control Cereza using her powers to manipulate objects in the environment. It's simple and never too long but definitely feels a bit basic and is barely made more complex as you go through the game.

But now let's get to the part of this game that truly shocked me. Are you ready? Listen up. Bayonetta Origins is like Dark Souls 1. No stop, come back, this isn't a joke. I kid you not, this game has a vertical map that's reminiscent of DS1's. One second you're in one area of the world and then you take an elevator that goes down and, wabham, you're right back in a previous zone and have now unlocked a shortcut. And here's how I know the influence is obvious; There's a secret area in this game, the only optional one in it, called the Sunkissed Shore that is a beach covered in pale white sand. Sound familiar?

Now I do need to set your expectations for this aspect of the game; it's not as well done as Dark Souls 1 since you get quick travel pretty early in the game and because the map is pretty, pretty, pretty bad. It's easily the worst thing about this game, being overstylized to the point of being almost unreadable, and thus it's hard to mentally visualize the vertical levels of the world especially in an isometric game where you can't just look up or down. Nevertheless, the sheer fact that this Bayonetta spin-off's world design even remotely reminded me of Dark Souls 1 still blows my mind.

So combat is great, exploration is great, the style is 10/10 but what about the story? Well let me ask you something; do you like Magical Girl animes? Because that's exactly what Bayonetta Origins is and a damn good one at that, probably the best one in this medium (not that there's much competition besides I guess Princess Crown or some other niche game I'm forgetting about). It also has a kid-meets-pet side that's really well done. Neither angle are gonna blow your mind but they're done with a great deal of sincerity and lightheartedness that prevents them from being a bother especially when combined with the great presentation. It's easily the best narrative in this series even though that's not saying much. Another side note, or tangent rather, but I still don't get how people act like the prior games had narratives worth dedicating brain cells over and how 3's story tarnished it all. Like come on people, those stories were just white noise. You went through them to get to the gameplay. And just like DMC, when they turned that shit into an anime, nobody watched it. Like I'm sure 3's story is terrible, but big woop. End of rant.

Alright to bring this all to a close, I originally started writing this thing back in November, when I was getting frustrated at how little attention this gem was getting and unfortunately got distracted and left this on the side. But today is this game's one year anniversary so I thought I'd go ahead and complete it. Back when I finished this game (did I mention it has a fantastic ending), I thought there was a strong chance that this would be the best game I would play this year and that turned out to be true. This game is spectacular. This is the game that everyone talks about when they say they want more ps2-like games. Or when they say they want more bold AA games. Well it came out and barely anyone played it. Their loss I suppose because this is undoubtedly going to become a major cult classic like Okami or God Hand. I bring those two games up specifically because this is the game by Platinum that most reminded me of their previous work as
Why can't you post it in era yourself? Were you banned there?

Also—you can play it in co-op! It’s not an “official” co-op mode, but it works great regardless; one player controls Cereza with one Joy-Con, and the other player controls Cheshire with the other Joy-Con. That’s how my partner and I played it and we had a great time together.

This. Played in “fake” co-op with my daughter…. Usually, she is a scaredy-cat (she even got stuck in Pokémon Violet, Spyro, and Mario Odyssey because of that), but with Dad/Cheshire by her side she loved the demo and wanted the game for her birthday. The story of Cereza's growth helped her be braver and there were wonderful father-daughter moments. I hope other parents get the chance to try this title with their kids. Simply magical ✨

Best game Platinum has ever made? Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Probably the best character action game ever made as well.

I really, really liked Bayonetta Origins, though. Hope it won't be a one-off.

Really enjoyed the game, but the game kind of hangs way to much on the combat and the overworld (and the map system) is an absolute mess with paths seemingly either being a dead end and not actually being and the other way around. For what the game does, it's either too long, or if they genuinely wanted to keep the game the same length, they should have made some real changes to the various Tír na nÓg, because 90% of them were identical fighting arenas and they became outright boring about a third into the game, and then the rest of the game still has to happen. The game has its moments where it shines bright with a couple of platforming and puzzle Tír na nÓg and some more unique ones like the one that was basically one giant slide ala Super Mario 64 style. I think my issue mostly boils down to just doing an utter piss poor job actually building up properly towards the ending where all gameplay elements are mixed together into a wonderful finale. Some of the segments were only done before once and never repeated again, and since you are not required to complete all the Tír na nÓg to finish the game, you can miss (and with how obscure some locations are most likely have missed) certain elements, but the ending still uses those elements regardless. And that's also ignoring you can miss the Stillwater Manor and Sunkissed Shore location, which is just an absolute crime.
I will say, I absolutely love the game and it's a wonder that the game exists, especially when you look at the series it spawned from and the rest of the studios output. But best? Nah...

Why can't you post it in era yourself? Were you banned there?
Who isn't at this point? 🤔

Like I said, of all their output that I've played, only God Hand is better.
God Hand is utter trash and I will not apologies for saying this.

(This is not seriously saying W101 is the best game they've made. It's my favorite but I honestly admit I'd have trouble recommending it to anyone.)

So do I have any volunteers to copy/paste this on Resetera? Like I said, I just really want to spread the love for this game as widely as possible.
I can see why you'd want the added eyes on your writeup, and I definitely respect your passion for the game, but I think it may be difficult for this request to see any takers. Someone else crossposting this thread to Era would just result in some weirdness I reckon, mate. "I'm posting this thread on behalf of a member of another forum, Famiboards, and you can't respond to any of the original poster's points or have a discussion with them unless you go to this other forum and make an account there." I feel like the mods might even lock the thread, since it wouldn't be the Era member's content, but someone else's.

I can see why you'd want the added eyes on your writeup, and I definitely respect your passion for the game, but I think it may be difficult for this request to see any takers. Someone else crossposting this thread to Era would just result in some weirdness I reckon, mate. "I'm posting this thread on behalf of a member of another forum, Famiboards, and you can't respond to any of the original poster's points or have a discussion with them unless you go to this other forum and make an account there." I feel like the mods might even lock the thread, since it wouldn't be the Era member's content, but someone else's.
In that case, to whoever does take up my request, please don't tell where this thread originates. Just post it there and quietly leave it there for people to discuss. Let's all keep this our secret as a birthday gift for this game.

Really enjoyed the game, but the game kind of hangs way to much on the combat and the overworld (and the map system) is an absolute mess with paths seemingly either being a dead end and not actually being and the other way around. For what the game does, it's either too long, or if they genuinely wanted to keep the game the same length, they should have made some real changes to the various Tír na nÓg, because 90% of them were identical fighting arenas and they became outright boring about a third into the game, and then the rest of the game still has to happen. The game has its moments where it shines bright with a couple of platforming and puzzle Tír na nÓg and some more unique ones like the one that was basically one giant slide ala Super Mario 64 style. I think my issue mostly boils down to just doing an utter piss poor job actually building up properly towards the ending where all gameplay elements are mixed together into a wonderful finale. Some of the segments were only done before once and never repeated again, and since you are not required to complete all the Tír na nÓg to finish the game, you can miss (and with how obscure some locations are most likely have missed) certain elements, but the ending still uses those elements regardless. And that's also ignoring you can miss the Stillwater Manor and Sunkissed Shore location, which is just an absolute crime.
I will say, I absolutely love the game and it's a wonder that the game exists, especially when you look at the series it spawned from and the rest of the studios output. But best? Nah...

Who isn't at this point? 🤔

God Hand is utter trash and I will not apologies for saying this.
Is it that common to be banned on there?
I was banned on there recently as I responded saying that everyone is only different due to having their own unique personalities so it didn’t matter about their colour or gender. When someone said how sick to death of white and Cis people they were.
Ban said “for discouraging diversity” stopped using the site after that. Only wanted to read some dragons dogma 2 previews lol.

Is it that common to be banned on there?
I was banned on there recently as I responded saying that everyone is only different due to having their own unique personalities so it didn’t matter about their colour or gender. When someone said how sick to death of white and Cis people they were.
Ban said “for discouraging diversity” stopped using the site after that. Only wanted to read some dragons dogma 2 previews lol.
Permabanned or just temporarily.

I need to get back into Origins! I actually stopped a bit into my first play through. I do oddly have the Steelbook and everything, I was really into the release but didn't get to the end.

Interesting, I need to take a closer look at the game.
However, if we're including Clover then Okami is amazing and arguably the most beautiful video game ever.

Part of me wonders if this game would have gotten more attention if it wasn't part of the Bayonetta series and PlatinumGames just pitched an entirely new IP; it's just so different from the mainline games, at least from what I've played of those, that I have no idea how the fandom feels about this one. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just ignored?

Co-signed, extremely creative game and one of Platinum's best efforts since the original Bayonetta.

Staff Communciation
Staff Communication
Lets focus on the topic of the thread and not cross-site drama. Fami is not the place to discuss your prior Era moderation history. Any further discussion on that topic will result in thread closure. Additionally, do not ask others to post your thoughts/threads on another site, regardless of reason. - BassForever, Lord Azrael, xghost777, Zellia, ngpdrew

Love the game, terrible map though. Hard to 100% and get those unlockables. Underrated gem for sure.

before-t8-was-announced-harada-said-dont-ask-me-for-shit-v0-e4arzhnywrda1.jpg

You're wrong in my opinion because NieR: Automata, Bayonetta 1&2, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Astral Chain... but I deeply respect the love for Bayonetta Origins. Great artistic direction, nice and fun little adventure, very cute and powerful coming-of-age story, a great game overall that I would definitely recommend to anyone, especially with kids.

I enjoy Origins and Astral Chains more than most
I enjoy Bayo 1 less than most

My Platinum ranking:

Astral Chain
Nier Automata
Bayonetta 2
Bayonetta 3
Bayonetta Origins
Bayonetta 1

I think Origins is very much underrated and underappreciated and I hope it gets it dues over time.

This. Played in “fake” co-op with my daughter…. Usually, she is a scaredy-cat (she even got stuck in Pokémon Violet, Spyro, and Mario Odyssey because of that), but with Dad/Cheshire by her side she loved the demo and wanted the game for her birthday. The story of Cereza's growth helped her be braver and there were wonderful father-daughter moments. I hope other parents get the chance to try this title with their kids. Simply magical ✨
Aww that's one of the most heartwarming posts I've read on here and I'm glad you two had such a great bonding experience over it!

I liked Bayo Origins well enough but they've easily made better games.

Also the map being the way it was really dragged the late game down for me. The garbage map design made it completely unfun to do any "postgame" stuff like going for 100%, which is something a game like Bayo Origins should be encouraging with it's design - not actively being annoying to do.

Back
Top Bottom