• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Bayonetta Origins Discussion Thread

It really is a bit of a nightmare trying to go through and 100% this game. Thinking about skipping that which is a shame because I was looking forward to finding all the hidden areas and secrets.

Finally reached the credits playing entirely co-op with my partner, and we loved it! Still have to go back and get another ~13% for completion, though, and we haven’t touched the Jeanne story yet.

We might just try to rush through whatever remaining story-related content there is, though, to get that out of the way for now before the Xenoblade DLC next week. Can anyone here tell me exactly what story-related content is left after being the final boss, if any? There’s still one area that we haven’t visited in our game, so I dunno if that’s post-game story stuff or what, or how to even get to it…

Also, does surround sound seem to be broken in this game for anyone else? I didn’t even think the game supported it because I hadn’t noticed it at all when playing, but when I was looking through the options menu I saw that you can change the position the narrator’s voice comes from…but it doesn’t seem to actually work? The “right” and “left” options play from the front right and front left speakers, but there’s also an option for “back” but it only plays out of the front speakers instead, just like the “front” option… Surround sound is definitely enabled and working on my Switch, ‘cause I just checked that to make sure. Has anyone else experienced this same issue? Is the game just bugged or something?

I'm almost done with this game, currently 75% through.

How did no one say that this game's world design is like Dark Souls 1? It even has its own Ash Lake.

I'm almost done with this game, currently 75% through.

How did no one say that this game's world design is like Dark Souls 1? It even has its own Ash Lake.

Oh that's fascinating... I'll have to ask some of my hardcore soulsborne friends what this means haha.

Oh that's fascinating... I'll have to ask some of my hardcore soulsborne friends what this means haha.
Basically the world has a mazelike structure with areas connected by shortcuts and elevators. Granted Bayo doesn't do it as well since the map does a poor job conveying the vertical nature of the areas and less visibly tangible due to the isometric angle.

As for the Ash Lakes comparison, both games have a hidden area thats a beach covered in white sand.

Basically the world has a mazelike structure with areas connected by shortcuts and elevators. Granted Bayo doesn't do it as well since the map does a poor job conveying the vertical nature of the areas and less visibly tangible due to the isometric angle.

As for the Ash Lakes comparison, both games have a hidden area thats a beach covered in white sand.

Oh! I actually missed that area. I did stumble upon the music when looking up the OST on Youtube, but since there's no official tracklist a lot of the songs on there just have generic titles. Maybe I'll look for it another time. I agree the map isn't very good at showing verticality, it turned me off from 100% the game.

How long is the post game extra campaign?

Less than a hour.

I didn't want to start a new thread since I don't have much to say other than despite the issues this is a really good surprise. I'm not a fan of the other Bayo titles, not into action games, but this one I love it. I'm in chapter 9 and it's only getting better. My biggest issue is the camera and the map. Probably won't bother to 100% it. I like the general gameplay loop though!
Worth to give it a chance!

Borrowed this from the library. Good game, fantastic soundtrack and art design. Still don't think they should've charged $80 for it though, I've played like 3 hours and already 1/3 of the way through it.

I just finished this game and I was not expecting it to hit so hard.

It's brilliant. Really special.
There is such care in every detail. What a great artstyle, world and soundtrack. What fun gameplay that fits its story so well. So gentle and earnest that every emotional beat hits and feels truly earned.

A great fairytale and one of Platinum's best games in my opinion.

And the last few bossfights?? Outstanding!

Moving on to the extra content now.

Last edited:
Ok after finishing the extra chapter I definitely think this should've been released before Bayonetta 3.

They said in interviews they didn't know which one would release first, and I think it was sadly the wrong choice.

It sets up everything in Bayo 3: the fairies, Lukaon, Cheshire, Jeanne's connection to Singularity, even Singularity itself.
Jeanne dying seems way less random if you play this first - a "will they or won't they" type of suspense, and it actually makes sense for Singularity to kill her like that as revenge for messing with his plans. It alludes to the time-bending multiversal themes as well, and gives Singularity a much-needed early presence instead of only showing up at the very end.

I would have been so much more surprised and into the Luca is Lukaon topic if I had played this first. By seeing Cheshire with Viola and her transforming into a fairy. Even Bayo and Luca's romance/care for eachother makes more sense.

It even introduces Demon Masquerade in the final phase of the Morgana fight! Seriously, look at the archive entry.

Last edited:
Ok after finishing the extra chapter I definitely think this should've been released before Bayonetta 3.

They said in interviews they didn't know which one would release first, and I think it was sadly the wrong choice.

It sets up everything in Bayo 3: the fairies, Lukaon, Cheshire, Jeanne's connection to Singularity, even Singularity itself.
Jeanne dying seems way less random if you play this first - a "will they or won't they" type of suspense, and it actually makes sense for Singularity to kill her like that as revenge for messing with his plans. It alludes to the time-bending multiversal themes as well, and gives Singularity a much-needed early presence instead of only showing up at the very end.

I would have been so much more surprised and into the Luca is Lukaon topic if I had played this first. By seeing Cheshire with Viola and her transforming into a fairy. Even Bayo and Luca's romance/care for eachother makes more sense.

It even introduces Demon Masquerade in the final phase of the Morgana fight! Seriously, look at the archive entry.

I had a similar thought actually when I finished it last year.

I believe they chose to release 3 first because it went through dev hell after being announced a bit too early overall. I know a LOT of people would have been really frustrated if this came out (even though it is a great game with only a couple of shortcomings) after 3's announcement overall. Maybe marketing could've helped with setting expectations and "it can be relevant to 3, don't worry Bayo fans!"

but overall, some Bayo "fans" in my opinion feel very weird about the Bayo franchise after 2. This might have been the overall safest approach...

I had a similar thought actually when I finished it last year.

I believe they chose to release 3 first because it went through dev hell after being announced a bit too early overall. I know a LOT of people would have been really frustrated if this came out (even though it is a great game with only a couple of shortcomings) after 3's announcement overall. Maybe marketing could've helped with setting expectations and "it can be relevant to 3, don't worry Bayo fans!"

but overall, some Bayo "fans" in my opinion feel very weird about the Bayo franchise after 2. This might have been the overall safest approach...

Yeah, I agree it was a difficult spot to be in. People might have been even less receptive.

I think both this game and Bayonetta 3 injected much needed life and variety into the world and characters. The worldbuilding and its uniqueness have always been one of Bayo's biggest strengths IMO, even if you're not a fan of the fragmented B-movie style storytelling.

I love all the games, but Bayonetta 2 felt like a dead-end storywise and the worldbuilding just circled around itself without adding much. It's the one I remember the least to be honest, and I haven't played the first in ages.

I hope they continue with the series and find a way to work with (or without) Kamiya. The story is begging for a sequel.

And I definitely want another Origins-style game, whether Bayonetta or not. Bravo to this team, hope Nintendo keeps them around

Back
Top Bottom