• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster Shadowdropped on Steam ($44.99 launch sale, includes a digital artbook)

Hopefully they've updated it to fix more of the issues and those updates make their way to the Switch version, but this is Namco so.... Also English voices please. Also Xenosaga next.

Hopefully they've updated it to fix more of the issues and those updates make their way to the Switch version, but this is Namco so.... Also English voices please. Also Xenosaga next.
Still no English voices, but maybe there's a way to mod them back in. I'm begging on my hands and knees rn.

I heard rumors about this coming out on Steam but i'm honestly shocked that this is real let alone a shadowdrop

gonna actually buy this now, should be super easy to mod the dub back in with a Steam release

That's awesome, I hope it does well! PC has a good audience for card based games in general, which may help

Releasing it this month is not a smart idea though...

Lol Monolith is NOT listed as developer, only the folks ho did the remaster!

Maybe Xenobalde Chronicles is next? There has to be some grounds for it to launch on Steam: full 4k/60 fps, Steam achievements, Deck compatibility, hell freezing over and HD textures.

Maybe Xenobalde Chronicles is next? There has to be some grounds for it to launch on Steam: full 4k/60 fps, Steam achievements, Deck compatibility, hell freezing over and HD textures.
Nah. Baten Kaitos is likely wholly owned by Bandai or Bandai is perfectly allowed to port it to other platforms after a period of time as a co-owner of the IP. Regardless, this release does not mean anything for Xenoblade coming to PC. Xenosaga maybe though, and that's kinda neat.

No. This is strictly a Bandai Namco IP. Nintendo coproduced and published Origins on GameCube, but it’s very much a Fatal Frame IV and V situation where the IP holder still has ultimate control of where and how the games release. On Nintendo platforms, Nintendo’s copyright remains. Outside of them, it’s as if they didn’t touch the project whatsoever.

Had a feeling Baten Kaitos would be released elsewhere when the eshop page in Europe had something like "the Nintendo Switch version runs at 30fps" in the description
Glad to see it make it's way on Steam and hopefully it does well there

Nah. Baten Kaitos is likely wholly owned by Bandai or Bandai is perfectly allowed to port it to other platforms after a period of time as a co-owner of the IP. Regardless, this release does not mean anything for Xenoblade coming to PC. Xenosaga maybe though, and that's kinda neat.
No. This is strictly a Bandai Namco IP. Nintendo coproduced and published Origins on GameCube, but it’s very much a Fatal Frame IV and V situation where the IP holder still has ultimate control of where and how the games release. On Nintendo platforms, Nintendo’s copyright remains. Outside of them, it’s as if they didn’t touch the project whatsoever.
Are you not reading my post or something?

Another Nintendo owned game going multiplat ;P.. as Nintendo still remains the owner of Origins, and they are just omitting their copyright on the Steam release, not unlike the Fatal Frame situations

(Switch Title Screen)
image.png

Now the official site is just funny lol
image.png

Another Nintendo owned game going multiplat ;P.. as Nintendo still remains the owner of Origins, and they are just omitting their copyright on the Steam release, not unlike the Fatal Frame situations

(Switch Title Screen)
image.png

image.png

Are you not reading my post or something?
We live in a world where Hell freezing over wouldn't even shock me. The only thing that would shock me is Mother 3 getting official localizations.

(I'm tired, sorry.)

Nintendo published Baten Kaitos 2. How can this game end up on steam?
It's not just publishing rights, they own Origins outright, much like Bayonetta 2, 3 and Origins or Fatal Frame IV, V and 2 Remake.

As for they letting this go for other platforms, maybe they just didn't value the IP enough. In any case, I assume they still get royalties from Steam sales either way, so it's not like they're losing anything.

you['re gonna wanna take a seat while I tell you about Octopath Traveler/Triangle Strategy/Dragon Quest 11S/Live A Live
different cases. these were never Nintendo owned games;

(Switch Title Screen)
image.png

image.png

How many is that now? 3? Just the two Fatal Frame games and this?

I suppose there's The Wonderful 101 Remastered, but that seems more complex as it seems that Nintendo does not have any ownership of the game...except for the fact that they seem to still own the trademark?

I guess there may also be Lego City Undercover depending on how that deal was handled.

This port is incredibly stupid. They lost money on the Switch port already, so why lose more money by porting it to PC?
It's probably a hail mary thing to see if it finds an audience. (It won't and saying so breaks my heart)

But it's not exactly unheard of. Sometimes Nintendo just chooses to give up exclusivity of a title that one of their partners makes when the partner asks. Wonderful 101 was the same way.

How many is that now? 3? Just the two Fatal Frame games and this?

I suppose there's The Wonderful 101 Remastered, but that seems more complex as it seems that Nintendo does not have any ownership of the game...except for the fact that they seem to still own the trademark?

I guess there may also be Lego City Undercover depending on how that deal was handled.
Platinum wasn't clear about The Wonderful 101 ownership at the time of its multiplat release, but it's speculated they got the IP from Nintendo, while Nintendo themselves got Astral Chain as a whole in exchange (which was previously a co-joint, and it was changed pre-release).

astral-chain-copyright.jpg

On LEGO City Undercover, Nintendo funded its development, but I don't believe they ever claimed ownership of nothing. Not even back in the Wii U original. Just the references of their own IPs within the game (which are absent in non-Nintendo platforms these days)

image.png

It's not just publishing rights, they own Origins outright, much like Bayonetta 2, 3 and Origins or Fatal Frame IV, V and 2 Remake.

As for they letting this go for other platforms, maybe they just didn't value the IP enough. In any case, I assume they still get royalties from Steam sales either way, so it's not like they're losing anything.
it's so over if we ever see Nintendo let Bayonetta 2, 3, and Origins go on Steam 😭

Coincidentally, the copyright info on Origins' Japanese Nintendo GameCube website lists Namco as the sole owner despite being Nintendo published.
in Japan they were not the publisher, oddly enough. But the claim they paid only for the localization doesn't hold much water, because that'd be the case also for Bayonetta 1 Japanese voice over, which was released on other platforms after the Wii U port, which Nintendo doesn't get a mention not even in the trailer (like say, Fatal Frame multiplat release does)

BKO_title_screen.png
BKO_JP_title_screen.png

Not exactly. Nintendo gave permission to Koei to launch Fatal Frame on the other platforms iirc. The same probably happened here. I'm thinking PC late version was a requirement from Bamco in order to make the remasters.

in Japan they were not the publisher, oddly enough. But the claim they paid only for the localization doesn't hold much water, because that'd be the case also for Bayonetta 1 Japanese voice over, which was released on other platforms after the Wii U port, which Nintendo doesn't get a mention not even in the trailer (like say, Fatal Frame multiplat release does)

BKO_title_screen.png
BKO_JP_title_screen.png

Nintendo didn’t make Japanese websites for GameCube games it didn’t publish.

s-l1200.jpg

Nintendo published this video game in Japan and North America on Nintendo GameCube (it was not released in Europe until the HD Remaster).

Nintendo didn’t make Japanese websites for GameCube games it didn’t publish.

s-l1200.jpg

Nintendo published this video game in Japan and North America on Nintendo GameCube (it was not released in Europe until the HD Remaster).
I missed completely the url being directly in the Nintendo website lol, you're right; It's Baten Kaitos 1 which Nintendo only published in Australia.

There were oddball releases like Pac-Man Vs. too, which was fully developed internally by Nintendo, but still published by NAMCO.

Last edited:

different cases. these were never Nintendo owned games;
So you're saying there's a chance of Bayo 2/3 on PC? We're so back bayonutters

So you're saying there's a chance of Bayo 2/3 on PC? We're so back bayonutters
I think it all depends how much they value its exclusivity; I think in Bayonetta's case, they certainly do, because they fill a gap of genre and themes in their catalog. But who knows 5 years from now?

This port is incredibly stupid. They lost money on the Switch port already, so why lose more money by porting it to PC?
Is this a real post? If so it's embarrassing.

Platinum wasn't clear about The Wonderful 101 ownership at the time of its multiplat release, but it's speculated they got the IP from Nintendo, while Nintendo themselves got Astral Chain as a whole in exchange (which was previously a co-joint, and it was changed pre-release).

astral-chain-copyright.jpg

On LEGO City Undercover, Nintendo funded its development, but I don't believe they ever claimed ownership of nothing. Not even back in the Wii U original. Just the references of their own IPs within the game (which are absent in non-Nintendo platforms these days)

image.png
I did see the theory about the The Wonderful 101, but it seems in terms of the franchise itself, Nintendo is still the trademark holder: https://trademarks.justia.com/857/27/the-wonderful-85727861.html

My assumption is this.

Nintendo is probably okay with PC ports if one of the production committee members pays for it (this case, Bandai Namco). I assume Bayonetta 2 and 3 probably could see a PC release if Sega and Platinum Games paid for it, but so far have not done so. They, however, have been really lenient about allowing localizations and in the case of Bayonetta 1, Japanese audio on other platforms with no problems what-so-ever.

As for other platforms outside of PC, it probably depends on the deal and agreements they have (see: Fatal Frame, the Lego game, etc.).

The thing with Bayo 2 and 3 is that they were of a way higher profile and budget than the Fatal Frame games, and were million sellers too, so it's a bit less likely for them to consider porting them, probably.

Yeah, I made a whole thread about the situation a while back; It's funny just by looking at the Switch and Xbox title screens lol

GwZITB.png

GwZxpV.png

and Fatal Frame IV it's the same thing
Oddly enought this bit of "phantom copyright" seems to be going for decades, since in the GBA ports of the DKC Trilogy and Diddy Kong Racing DS Microsoft is not mentioned at all in neither the credits or game box or manual, depite owning Rare and it's logo/name by that point, however in the non DK related Rare games for the GBA and DS (like Banjo Pilot and Viva Piñata) Microsoft is mentioned at least on the game's box. Weird stuff when it comes to Nintendo and copyright.

Oddly enought this bit of "phantom copyright" seems to be going for decades, since in the GBA ports of the DKC Trilogy and Diddy Kong Racing DS Microsoft is not mentioned at all in neither the credits or game box or manual, depite owning Rare and it's logo/name by that point, however in the non DK related Rare games for the GBA and DS (like Banjo Pilot and Viva Piñata) Microsoft is mentioned at least on the game's box. Weird stuff when it comes to Nintendo and copyright.
And Nintendo's Brownie Brown (now 1UP Studio) developing Blue Dragon Plus on DS. Crazy stuff.

It's probably a hail mary thing to see if it finds an audience. (It won't and saying so breaks my heart)

But it's not exactly unheard of. Sometimes Nintendo just chooses to give up exclusivity of a title that one of their partners makes when the partner asks. Wonderful 101 was the same way.

When Wonderful 101 was released outside Nintendo platform, they got something (fully owning Astral Chain IP). Probably there are some deals going on to barter the release?

Would be hilarious if that is the deal for Nintendo to buy Xenosaga IP lol

When Wonderful 101 was released outside Nintendo platform, they got something (fully owning Astral Chain IP). Probably there are some deals going on to barter the release?

Would be hilarious if that is the deal for Nintendo to buy Xenosaga IP lol
Nintendo didn't get anything for letting go of Fatal Frame 5 except keeping Koei Tecmo happy though.

Back
Top Bottom