• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP Axiom Verge 2

(Late to the party)

HockeyBird

Villager
Pronouns
He/Him
A few weeks ago I picked up Axiom Verge 2. The game came out over a year ago but I held out on buying it because I didn't want to over Metroid myself ahead of Metroid Dread. Fast forward a year later and I have finally finished Axiom Verge 2. I was a fan of the first game and while it had some faults, it was a fun Metroid-inspired adventure and unlike many Metroidvanias at the time, it really emphasized the Metroid aspects.

Axiom Verge 2 makes substantial changes to the gameplay. Unlike the first game where it was all about collecting new weapons, the combat in 2 is almost entirely melee based. You do get a boomerang for some distance but you'll primarily be up close to take out your enemies. And this is where my first issues start. I don't think the game design was balanced for melee combat. Melee attacks don't really stun enemies. That means you are likely to take damage while you hitting the attack button. Aerial enemies are pain to fight. In the early part of the game, you are pretty weak which means you die really fast. Only a few hits and it's back to a check point. The game prefers you to either dodge enemies entirely or use your new hacking abilities. But the issue is that the hacking is almost entirely useless throughout the game. You have to get up close to hack enemies which means risking damage. There's often so enemies and so little energy needed for hacking that it just becomes easier and faster to just run past everything.

The other big change to the gameplay is the combat drone which allows you to enter the Breach, an entirely different overworld that runs parallel with the main world. Think Light World and Dark World from A Link to the Past. You'll need to traverse one to make progress in the other. At the beginning, this is pretty straight forward which entrance and exists being clearly defined. But you eventually get more abilities to switch between the zones at will. You'll need to constantly be flipping through both maps to identify locations where you swapping worlds will put you on the correct path. This is a novel idea but it can get cumbersome late into the game. You'll spend a lot of time just looking through the maps to identify where the next primary route is. As for controlling the drone itself, it's basically a weaker version of the human form. It does get a grappling hook and the ability to hover so by the end game, being in drone form becomes the primary way of traversal in both worlds.

For secret items, instead of finding new weapons like in the first game, you'll primarily be finding upgrade points. These can be used in the pause menu to upgrade the power of your attacks. While this ensure that every secret you find is somewhat useful, it also means there are less chances to find something truly cool and interesting. You eventually pick up the main abilities while going through the critical path. The other upgrades are just for health, damage reduction, and some damage increase to some weapons.

The story, well it's there I guess. This was an issue in the first game. It wants to throw a lot of lore and techno babble at you but events and characters just aren't memorable. The notes and reports you find along the way just bleed into each other. The pixel art style, while beautiful, also means that none of the character designs really stick out. The Mesopotamian inspired structures and statues were a nice touch though. The story just kind of ends and seemingly setting up a sequel. It's whatever.

So overall, I found Axiom Verge 2 to just be an ok Metroidvania. Decent but nothing special. My biggest issues come with the changes to combat. It's simply less fun than the original game. You eventually get enough health that it's just better to just run and brute force past everything, especially when enemy placements become annoying and tedious. The game doesn't feel designed around it's major gameplay changes and that's a shame because there are some good ideas here on paper. I'd say pick it up on sale if you're itching for a Metroidvania to play and you already gone through Metroid Dread and the Ori games.

Nice review. I really like 2 with the difference that this one is supposed to be more exploration and less combat that the first one, and as such have less arsenal to fight against enemies. As you mention once you have more traversal options its easy just to dodge enemies and the drone form works perfectly for that, which I believe that was the intention.

As for the story, it is kinda weird and you don't get a resolution to a lot of the plot points, which even with all the tecnostuff in the 1st one you at least feel you acomplished something defeatign the final boss. Here its like "we did it.... something.... oh well". It makes me thing there will be a third gaming tying everything more clear (I know of the theories of the relations of 1 and 2, but weel, they are only theories)

To be honest, I didn't think the first game was anything special - it was competent, but nothing really stood out about it. Maybe I'm looking for the opposite of what you are, and 2 would actually be more up my alley?

To be honest, I didn't think the first game was anything special - it was competent, but nothing really stood out about it. Maybe I'm looking for the opposite of what you are, and 2 would actually be more up my alley?

I would say that the first game not being special was what made it special. It was a straight Metroidvania game at a time where Metroidvanias were trying new things. But to answer your question, Axiom Verge 2 shares that DNA of the first game. However, I don't think the gameplay changes were adapted well enough to fit the Axiom Verge mold. There's less emphasis on bosses. All but one are optional and they are easy enough to cheese. But the environments are still littered with enemies and given the lack of effective combat options to clear them out, it added to the tedium of exploration.

The story, well it's there I guess. This was an issue in the first game. It wants to throw a lot of lore and techno babble at you but events and characters just aren't memorable. The notes and reports you find along the way just bleed into each other. The pixel art style, while beautiful, also means that none of the character designs really stick out. The Mesopotamian inspired structures and statues were a nice touch though. The story just kind of ends and seemingly setting up a sequel. It's whatever.
If anyone is looking for more context on the Mesopotamian setting of the Axiom Verge series, I'd like to plug this. I've interviewed Tom Happ a few times over the years, and I also happen to be friends with some professional Assyriologists. So I worked with both sides to make an article detailing all of the Mesopotamian influence in the first game, and what it indicates for the story. The article doesn't touch on the second game (it wasn't out yet) but it helps contextualize a lot of it.

And in regards to the story being open-ended... it's a love/hate thing. Happ has essentially planned out an entire universe on paper. At least 6 games. And they involve concepts like the multiverse and simulated reality. It's a lot of fun if you like digging through lore and piecing a mystery together. But if you're looking for a straightforward plot with a concrete conclusion, it might leave you wanting.

Last edited:
Also... I'm not seeing any mention of the soundtrack! First game has one of my all-time favorite soundtracks. Second game isn't quite as consistently great, but there's still some absolute bangers.

Also... I'm not seeing any mention of the soundtrack! First game has one of my all-time favorite soundtracks. Second game isn't quite as consistently great, but there's still some absolute bangers.
Oh yes, forgot to mention the soudn track but the first one is really good

Yeah this game was a relative letdown for me even if the Dark World was brilliant. I never grew to love the combat even if I remember having some fun with it eventually. I also agree it was disappointing the bosses were all optional and not very thoughtfully put together. I tanked or glitched out quite a few I remember.

This game was a lot of hit and miss for me; mostly miss, even after I loved the first one. Some things like the dark world and portal shifting/etc. are cool, and the plot seems to really start getting interesting… right before the game ends. The combat just wasn’t great to me, for the reasons you mentioned, and there wasn’t anything quite like the joy of finding a weird new gun in the first game. And there weren’t any upgrades that I found as cool as the red lab coat. Music was good, but a bit too different than the first game’s and I prefer the style it had more.

Overall, it’s not a bad game exactly, just one that for me felt worse than the original in nearly every way. But I like where the story seems like it might be headed, so I’m still really looking forward to a third game eventually.

Nice review. Having finished it late last year, I agree in almost everything but the lore / story. However, I have done a fair amount of external reading on reddit material about the world building - it's obviously convoluted AF, but I guess it adds to a certain charm.

Last edited:
Nice review. Having finished it late last year, I agree in almost everything but the lore / story (however, I have done a fair amount of external reading on reddit material about the world building - it's obviously convoluted AF, but I guess it add to a certain charm)

I like the concept and ideas but I don't think they are presented well enough to be really memorable. There's a big betrayal in this game in this game and during that scene I was like "Who are you?". I just don't think the the type of game and style of graphics is conducive to the story they want to tell.

I like the concept and ideas but I don't think they are presented well enough to be really memorable. There's a big betrayal in this game in this game and during that scene I was like "Who are you?". I just don't think the the type of game and style of graphics is conducive to the story they want to tell.
To go along with this, I also found the graphics to be a bit... confusing? Something about the detail level and color palette made it sometimes hard to parse exactly what was what in general, and also in the background vs foreground, even though I overall thought the graphics were lovely. I'm not too sure what it was. Maybe there wasn't enough contrast/outlines? It felt to me like a lot of things kind of blended together, if that makes sense.

To go along with this, I also found the graphics to be a bit... confusing? Something about the detail level and color palette made it sometimes hard to parse exactly what was what in general, and also in the background vs foreground, even though I overall thought the graphics were lovely. I'm not too sure what it was. Maybe there wasn't enough contrast/outlines? It felt to me like a lot of things kind of blended together, if that makes sense.

I think for both Axiom Verge games, they both really do have a nice pixel style to them but it can make navigating the world confusing. You really need a diverse set of themes and color palettes to make different areas stand out more which I think 2 does a lot better than 1. But as I mentioned, I don't think the style lends itself to having in in-depth story with multiple significant characters. NPCs doesn't really stand out from each other so it's harder to associate who goes with which name.

Back
Top Bottom