• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Avatar bet: Demise will or will not be featured in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Was Demise a one-time occurrence or will he return in TotK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yavga

Pipis collector
Pronouns
He
There is a discussion to be had whether story important characters besides Zelda, Link or Ganon(dorf) from earlier Zelda games can re-appear in newer games, this time the focus will be on Demise from Skyward Sword.

Will he re-appear or will he be shunned for all eternity?

Its name will have to be heard or seen on-screen in any way imaginable for it to count.

You decide...
Smart-Select-20230413-192706-Twitter.jpg

I have to think of an avatar for the losing team... Any ideas?

Last edited:
Will he literally return, like a concrete character that phisically appears? Nope. Will he be mentioned as an entity, either by the Zonai or some diary or book? 100% sure. Does that count?

Good one... Let's make the bet about his name appearing together with the character.

The character Demise will not return. Maybe Ganondorf will have a form which resembles his design, but the explicit character Demise is dead.

Then he will resurrect!

That's the only way we can win.

Last edited:
Glad I’m not the only one thinking about this. Definitely seemed like the Skyward Sword HD Remaster was deliberately timed and not a cynical box checking.

There is a discussion to be had whether story important characters besides Zelda, Link or Ganon(dorf) from earlier Zelda games can re-appear in newer games, this time the focus will be on Demise from Skyward Sword.

Its name will have to be seen on-screen in any way imaginable for it to count.

You decide...

Looks more like Ganon

I don't think he will appear again. We'll get Ganon and will like it that way :p

Will he literally return, like a concrete character that phisically appears? Nope. Will he be mentioned as an entity, either by the Zonai or some diary or book? 100% sure. Does that count?
Yeah there's even an area of the map named after him in BOTW already

I believe Ganondorf will consciously access his "Demise powers" just like Zelda and Hylia, my bet is that at some point he or another character will cite the origins of his powers, but not necessarily by name.

Yeah this might end up being a 50/50 thing were we can all agree on Demise being in and the whole world knowing it but because it is a manifestation it does not count as the character.

I'll let that chaos slowly brew and watch it unfold gloriously.

I think the question of what constitutes Demise is very abstract even with the name, although it's clear a lot of Skyward Sword's DNA is in this game, so... maybe?

Yeah, not confident enough either way to vote lol

I think it could happen with how Ganondorf is being treated as a main character of the story now. There might be someone else pulling the strings yet again. We’ve seen this trope in Zelda games before.

I think it could happen with how Ganondorf is being treated as a main character of the story now. There might be someone else pulling the strings yet again. We’ve seen this trope in Zelda games before.
Nobody has ever Ganon'd Ganon before, tho

That would be a wild twist

They confirmed on release it will link into the story of TotK.

People seem to be forgetting this.
I don't remember that? Seems like it would have been a bigger deal at the time.

If true, though, it's likely they whole "sky island" thing is enough of a connection.

Fine, I'll do it:

I don't get this. It's literally the exact same design as the Ganondorf we saw them tweet out. He has a flowing toga-style shirt with his right arm free and his left arm in a long sleeve. He's got a flowing skirt behind his legs, just like in that scene. He even has the EXACT same bracelet on his right forearm. The only difference is that he's let his hair down. And malice energy is flowing all around him.

This is the same character, there is really no question:

FtmaMdfaEAcMcRi

kAmNXF1.png

Some more evidence that this is quite obviously still Ganondorf:

image.png

3:00-3:02 in the trailer shows Ganondorf (yes, Ganondorf, we see his face in the next cut) setting out his arms on a platform with these pillars in front of it.

Literally the exact same place as in this screenshot:

kAmNXF1.png

The pillars are identical. This is the same place, and the same scene. And the same character.

Fine, I'll do it:

Ok, as rebuttal the only thing I can bring to the table is that in this shot he is channeling Demise and is halfway, or the Upheaval makes him change into Demise. So he is Ganondorf but also Demise. Like how Zelda is also Hylia (?) in that other shot.

Ganondorf is clearly channeling his inner Demise which is obvious through the way his hair and his other arm are shown which is seemingly also having scales.

Of course the story of Skyward sword introduced us to Demises design long after Ganondorf was already established as a character. But we now know Ganondorf has always had Demise's traits (the red flowing hair), it is by design.

Also, Skywards Swords HD remake makes more sense all of a sudden and I believe Aonuma also told us to play the game in order to better understand the sequels story.

Then there was the voice actor leak that told us a voice actor having the role of both Daruk and Yunobo (?) kinda playing into the whole megatama channeling theory.

Edit: I love how the split is basically 50/50

Last edited:
Ok, as rebuttal the only thing I can bring to the table is that in this shot he is channeling Demise and is halfway, or the Upheaval makes him change into Demise. So he is Ganondorf but also Demise. Like how Zelda is also Hylia (?) in that other shot.

Ganondorf is clearly channeling his inner Demise which is obvious through the way his hair and his other arm are shown which is seemingly also having scales.
I don't think anything about that other character suggests Hylia either but that's another story.

you know I really thought it would be Demise but the official art makes it seem like it’s just Ganondorf Demising out a little

who knows!

Maybe there another interesting detail in the picture from the OP, you see... The character there has a horn, whereas Ganondorf does not in his picture.

Also in the mural is a character with a horn.

Ganondorf has no horn and neither does Ganon.

In Skyward sword Demise has a giant wound on its forehead inflicted by a sword. He could originally have had a devil's horn.

Also if Demise was sealed in the sword earlier maybe we can even go further and make a giant leap and argue that this game is a prequel to Skyward Sword and that the breaking of the sword released Demise.

... Just casually scrolling Twitter

Last edited:
Maybe there another interesting detail in the picture from the OP, you see... The character there has a horn, whereas Ganondorf does not in his picture.

Also in the mural is a character with a horn.

Ganondorf has no horn and neither does Ganon.

In Skyward sword Demise has a giant wound on its forehead inflicted by a sword. He could originally have had a devil's horn.

Also if Demise was sealed in the sword earlier maybe we can even go further and make a giant leap and argue that this game is a prequel to Skyward Sword and that the breaking of the sword released Demise.

... Just casually scrolling Twitter
What horn?

The only thing you can see on the figure's face is the red eyebrows.

The crocodile enemy thing that splattered into the ground seemed very Demise-like.

This has "scam chat" energy written all over it. Literally any game with ganon/dorf has "Demise" based upon how the lore is written.

This has "scam chat" energy written all over it. Literally any game with ganon/dorf has "Demise" based upon how the lore is written.
Exactly, one could argue every game with Ganondorf has a manifestation of Demise in it, which would be true.

Hence the avatar bet that he will now return as actual full named character this time, in the... Eh... Flesh?

Screenshot-20230413-234417-Chrome.jpg

Also, the mural.

Smart-Select-20230413-234609-Chrome.jpg

Demise:

maxresdefault.jpg
Hmmm I'll admit I hadn't seen that horn at all. I'm not convinced that's what it is but it's interesting at least.

Ganondorf does have the tear gem embedded on his forehead which it also looks like you can see in that shot.

I will not bet, but I do think he’s more likely the figure in the trailer than not. The point I’m less certain on is if he’s actually directly named.

Hmmm I'll admit I hadn't seen that horn at all. I'm not convinced that's what it is but it's interesting at least.

Ganondorf does have the tear gem embedded on his forehead which it also looks like you can see in that shot.
Oh yeah, there's definitely Ganondorf there as well... No argument there but he's changing into Demise is what I believe. Through the power of that megatama/tear which is exactly what Zelda uses to change into Hylia.

Maaaan, this game is killing me. I'm going to take a break 😅

I love all the little new details the trailer brings and the uncovering of all the past puzzle pieces only for us to be swept away when the game releases in a month. What a time to experience.

Last edited:

Of course the story of Skyward sword introduced us to Demises design long after Ganondorf was already established as a character. But we now know Ganondorf has always had Demise's traits (the red flowing hair), it is by design.

Also, Skywards Swords HD remake makes more sense all of a sudden and I believe Aonuma also told us to play the game in order to better understand the sequels story.

Then there was the voice actor leak that told us a voice actor having the role of both Daruk and Yunobo (?) kinda playing into the whole megatama channeling theory.

Edit: I love how the split is basically 50/50

I am thinking along these lines. What we saw in these shots is clearly part Ganondorf but there are a couple of things that point to a transformation into something much closer to Demise.

I guess the distinguishing factor will be how this being will refer to himself or how others will. I'll be on team Demise thinking they will acknowledge his existence in some way as a part of Ganondorf or as a separate entity at some point of the game.

I think Demise is dumb so I hope not ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Just let Ganondorf be Gandondorf here.

Its name will have to be heard or seen on-screen in any way imaginable for it to count.

You decide...

Honestly that looks more like a corrupted
rauru
than it does Demise.

Hmmmmm...I'll lean to "sure!".

I think revealing as much as they have about Ganon, as it is, may be an intentional misdirect. Not unlike how they did with ALBW (where he ended up being a Macguffin for Yuga to fuse with) . Either the "hijack by Ganon" trope is being employed in an interesting way, again, or Ganon's initial plan is all about bringing Demise back on purpose (so he can destroy him or to some other end).

Either way, I can't help but think that the new mechanic about Link having NPC allies will be utilized so that Link and Ganon (and hopefully Zelda, too!) will all fight together against the True Final Boss, in what will make for the sickest boss sequence in an action game since Dante and Vergil vs. Arkham in DMC3.

Screenshot-20230413-234417-Chrome.jpg

Also, the mural.

Smart-Select-20230413-234609-Chrome.jpg

Demise:

maxresdefault.jpg
Hmmm now that I think of it that "horn" could just easily be part of his forehead jewel plating.

the_legend_of_zelda_tears_of_the_kingdom_screenshot_5.jpeg

The mural might be depicting the tear itself as a more metaphorical horn. Or maybe him in his beast form.

I don't think Demise will be straight up coming back but I wouldn't be surprised if Ganondorf's red sphagetti hair form is called "Demise Ganondorf" or something like that. I think Ganondorf will just channel Demise's evil so hard that he almost comes back but he's still technically Ganondorf.

my the way, I have a question, if ganon fused or takes on demises form does that count as demise returning or him not being in the game?

Back
Top Bottom