• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

PlayStation ASTRO BOT releases for PS5 on September 6, 2024

The hottest take here is saying that 3D World is the best looking 3D Mario, when it’s by far the worst looking one
I didn't mean graphically, I just meant to my perception lol

3D World is still my favorite 3D Mario game.

Oh, I meant visually and gameplay wise
I can't really judge it visually yet, because of YouTube compression. Gameplay wise this looks absolutely wonderful, it has the same ingredients as 3D World and Kirby Forgotten Land, two of my favorite games.

Seems like only the first DLC trophy is available now in GPU Jungle and the others will become available over time in the countdown to release

New snippet footage also in the PS Blog article

Astro Bot will also get free dlc levels

Last edited:
It's unfortunate Astro Bot is the most uninspired, sterile, mascot character anyone could've created. Of course that suits current day PlayStation very well.

I don't understand why this couldn't have just been Sackboy.
Oh, come on. I like Astrobot more than Sackboy. This also something that Sony needed. A franchise that sells... decently and continue momentum instead of giving it up. (Rip to Socom, Killzone, and others).

Honestly brilliant move on Sony's end to not release any games this year so that people are actually excited to pay for Astro's Playroom 2. Any other year and nobody would have cared.

Not sure if this is a joke, but Sony has/will published 10 games this year.

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-06-08-a-09-38-35.png

Not sure if this is a joke, but Sony has/will published 10 games this year.

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-06-08-a-09-38-35.png
Pretty funny how the Internet took Totoki's "no major tentpole releases this FY" to mean "PS5 has no games baby!". I imagine a lot of that discourse comes from people who just do not keep up with anything PlayStation related?

Especially amusing when this year is arguably the first in the quintuple's generation in which SIE has both sheer quantity of releases and diversity of output covered.

Pretty funny how the Internet took Totoki's "no major tentpole releases this FY" to mean "PS5 has no games baby!". I imagine a lot of that discourse comes from people who just do not keep up with anything PlayStation related?

Especially amusing when this year is arguably the first in the quintuple's generation in which SIE has both sheer quantity of releases and diversity of output covered.
I think the problem is that two of the releases are remasters no one was asking for and one of them is Concord. Had these titles been replaced with other games, this would be a much better lineup.

I think the problem is that two of the releases are remasters no one was asking for and one of them is Concord. Had these titles been replaced with other games, this would be a much better lineup.
I don't agree at all if I'm being honest. The problem is that folks are either being ignorant or arguing in bad faith. Concord might suck ass for all we know but it's still a fully fleshed out new game, and I'd say we can comfortably live with two remasters/remakes out of ten titles. Also c'mon don't give me the "no one asked for them". It's never a good argument, let alone when stuff like TLOU has millions of fans.

I've definitely been disappointed with Playstation's output and took him saying that as nothing big first party coming at all... and I get what he meant now but I think he was lowkey underselling the fiscal year? Not from an investor's persepctive I guess.
But yeah, the lineup looks strong and pretty diverse, that much is evident even with there still being nothing that speaks to me too much.

I've definitely been disappointed with Playstation's output and took him saying that as nothing big first party coming at all... and I get what he meant now but I think he was lowkey underselling the fiscal year? Not from an investor's persepctive I guess.
But yeah, the lineup looks strong and pretty diverse, that much is evident even with there still being nothing that speaks to me too much.
I don't think it was wrong, the actual quote was

We do not plan to release any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year like God of War Ragnarok and Marvel’s Spider-Man 2

And it was for the Fiscal Year, so Helldivers, Ronin, TLOU2R don't count. This FY's games so far are Stellar Blade, Astro Bot, Concord and Until Dawn Remaster which aren't really "major" or "existing" franchises, and Lego Horizon which I guess is technically from a major franchise but not really a mainline game.

I don't agree at all if I'm being honest. The problem is that folks are either being ignorant or arguing in bad faith. Concord might suck ass for all we know but it's still a fully fleshed out new game, and I'd say we can comfortably live with two remasters/remakes out of ten titles. Also c'mon don't give me the "no one asked for them". It's never a good argument, let alone when stuff like TLOU has millions of fans.
TLOU is a huge franchise, but I didn't see any people asking for a remaster of TLOU2 since it was already an impressive looking game visually. Same goes for Until Dawn. There are many older Sony games and even some PS4 games that would benefit much more from a remaster than these two. And Concord might be better than it looks, but it just seems rather generic right now.

That being said, Astro Bot looks great and Lego Horizon looks solid. So all things considered, this year was a lot better than it could have been. I just think that TLOU2, Until Dawn, and Concord are weak links in that lineup.

The reveal trailer didn't get me as excited as I hoped, but reading through the PS Blog today actually did. Seems like it should be a fun platformer. My backlog is huge so I'm in no rush to get another game, but I'll likely eventually buy this and hope Sony makes more games like this. I may buy this earlier than normal just to support that. (Same goes for Horizon Lego Adventures. I'd love more colorful, funny, fun, family friendly games!)

TLOU is a huge franchise, but I didn't see any people asking for a remaster of TLOU2 since it was already an impressive looking game visually. Same goes for Until Dawn. There are many older Sony games and even some PS4 games that would benefit much more from a remaster than these two. And Concord might be better than it looks, but it just seems rather generic right now.

That being said, Astro Bot looks great and Lego Horizon looks solid. So all things considered, this year was a lot better than it could have been. I just think that TLOU2, Until Dawn, and Concord are weak links in that lineup.
I agree that they're the weak links in the lineup, though I was mostly focused on why the whole "actually no games" narrative was dumb as heck. Also the TLOU2 thing is more of a DLC than anything. Given that it's a paid upgrade for previous users (of a game that got a free PS5 boost no less).

Edit: obviously I too would rather see SIE go back to pre-PS4 games to remaster and remake. Alas it doesn't seem to be their MO currently. These 2 games existing don't invalidate everything else that's coming and suddenly make me go "well I guess they have a point!"

Anyways previews are unsurprisingly looking great. Game's gonna be a banger.

Last edited:
More info
▪️"Primed to be a big hit", "feels like a 3D Mario game"
▪️"Tight, responsive experience", Astro still has his trusty jump, attack, charged spin attack, and versatile laser-hover ability
▪️Difficulty Modes: Easy, Normal, Hard (hard will "challenge seasoned platforming fans")
▪️Overworld consists of multiple galactic maps, each full of colorful planets with their own unique levels
▪️Some planets are harder than others. Hovering over them reveals their difficulty level
▪️Completing some 'hard' levels unlocks other, new hard levels
▪️80 levels to visit packed with hidden bots, puzzle pieces, boss battles, goofy power-ups, coins, and challenges that lead to other secrets
▪️Levels are full of fun, interactive bits: bouncy inflatable balls roll down a waterslide with you, gooey paint buckets, shiny bolts, and colorful spray paint cans all with detailed physics
▪️Sky Garden Level: Consists of multiple connected floating islands giving a vision of idyllic paradise with pink robo-flamingos in blue ponds, cherry blossom trees whose petals float across the ponds
▪️Swinging Sentries Level: "Hard" level featuring multiple platforms with enemies swinging spiky ball-and-chain weapons
▪️Slowdown Showdown Level: Astro throws an hourglass item to slow down enemies, platforms, and environmental hazards "that move impossibly fast"
▪️Construction Derby Level: A miles-high construction site with cranes, beams, scaffolding, etc. A "sumo-bot" guards a helipad halfway through the level, forcing Astro to target his vulnerable backside
▪️Astro can collect a new item that pumps him full of air in order to reach new hidden heights
▪️Astro can now explore underwater for hidden bots and treasures
▪️Exploration is rewarded - for example, an underwater area concealed by a bubble holds a secret bot whose themed after Rivet (Ratchet & Clank) surrounded by enemies you have to defeat in order to rescue
▪️New ability: A robotic dog partner clings to Astro's back, granting a jet-powered boost that serves as both an attack and air boost
▪️Tons of PlayStation themed bots to discover - a game menu indicates how many bots are hidden throughout each stage, and PlayStation symbols mark hidden cameo bots
▪️DualSense haptics and adaptive trigger implementation as great as Astro's Playroom was
▪️Wako Tako: Big octopus boss battle seen in the trailer - Astro lands on a shipwreck and gets a new item: "extend-o frog boxing gloves". These allow Astro to punch from far away, swing across grapple points, do slingshot style attacks, etc. Boss fight has many "twists and turns"
▪️Mythical companions join Astro's journey, like discovering bot versions of Kratos and Atreus under a capsized floating canoe

So good theres difficulty levels.

Tempted to pre-order (which I never do) to send the message to Sony that I want proper, fun single-player games from Japan, not endless soulless, boring Western GaaS tosh.
Futile I know...

I wonder what exactly affects the difficulty for hard mode, since normal mode is apparently still a one hit kill. Maybe less checkpoints?

Edit: Ah, it seems levels are actually just given a just difficulty label.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom