• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

RTTP Astral Chain - 4 years on, still as refreshing as a cold raspberry energy drink on the warmest of days.

(Returned to the party)

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
As we're coming up on the 4-year anniversary of this most magical and somewhat underappreciated Switch game, let's take a trip and remember why it's one of the greats.

astral-chain-switch-release-date.jpg

So I've decided to give Astral Chain a new spin. Firing it up, I was wondering how I would feel about it this time around, as you normally do when you're replaying something you remember loving, and it has indeed been years since I last played it. I remember falling head over heels for it when it released - The gameplay was not only flashy and fun in the most Platinum-esque way possible, but also incredibly varied and flavoured, as it branched out into a lot of unexpected areas. Not to mention the engrossing story, the wacky humor, the sublime artstyle and of course Harmony Square.

So after being through 3 files (aka chapters) so far, I can with utmost sincerity confirm that Astral Chain has retained every single piece of its magic. From the very beginning, you're thrust into a frantic motorbike section, before you're taught the ropes of combat in the midst of burning cars, and before you catch your breath, you're introduced to the core cast, thrust through cutscenes that brim with the usual Platinum-branded frenzy, and before the chapter ends, there is a brief section where you have to avoid burning cars thrown your way. I look at the watch, and not even 25 minutes has passed since I pressed the icon on the Switch home menu.

Astral Chain has you picking between male or female Akira - whoever you pick becomes your own silent protagonist, while the other then becomes sort of the main character in the story. You're both employees of a special unit of the police force made out of people that can use Legions - super-powerful fighting companions that are bound to you by a blue chain. The primary threat in the game is the Chimeras, monsters that hail from an alternative dimension, the astral plane. The game begins basic enough, but over the course of 20-ish hours, it just keeps on thrusting the gas pedal to the floor, seemingly just to see what happens.

Combat is of course the center stage here, and phew, what combat! It's a tad overwhelming to control both yourself and your Legions at the same time. Keeping control of your own attack, weapon swap and dodge, while also switching Legions as well as keeping track of their movements and attacks. It could've been a complete mess, but is being held up by all the cool stuff you and your Legion can pull off. For example, holding a button gives you simultaneous, free control of the Legion (usually, it auto-attacks) so that you can circle around your enemies and bind them, or just send them flying away in a counterattack - incredibly satisfying stuff. For me, it all makes for the kind of experience that has me somehow go "Yes!!" inside whenever I see yet another combat arena with a bunch of grunts.

But other than combat, you spend your time investigating areas and crime scenes, or chill out in the police HQ. The former should be dull as bricks, but is being made quite interesting with a couple of elements added to it, you have to gather recounts of events and then puzzle them together to sort of figure out what happened, and use Legion powers to scout out the next astral plane entrance. One of the areas in the game is Harmony Square, hands down one of my personal favourite game areas in recent memory, where the ice cream balance minigame is a highlight. The game also sports a top-tier collectible in the form of toilets, where you get paper you have to donate to a stall. Lastly, the police HQ is where you spend time in between missions to execute maximal chill, and it is a sublime place, with great vibes, colleagues to talk to and the occasional scene with the hilarious police mascot Lappy.

2021032613294300-257-FD939428-E4-BFE6-BF9-E2-F559-D5037-A.jpg

Thing is, this is a game that just never lets up. I think its key characteristic and perhaps the one thing that draws me to it is its refusal to just stop at one point. Instead, it just sprinkles and seasons its elements with more and more, more idiosyncracies, more quirks, more mechanics. The Legion abilities allows you to platform, race and solve puzzles, the investigation scenes are packed with spectacular sidequests, the story is not afraid to throw in one mad element and idea after another, and the bosses in a Platinum game are pretty self-explanatory. Heck, even the chapter names has small descriptors attached to them, such a small detail that I somehow really appreciate.

Playing Astral Chain reminds me of a special kind of energy drink that I drank a lot during my first time playing it: The Pro Brands Raspberry one. It has the very same brisk, eager energy to it that encapsulates the entire experience and makes every one of its quirky intricacies feel refreshing. And that's not mentioning the bangin' music, the sleek and sharp-looking artstyle, all the way to one of the most satisfying finish-off moves in gaming. (Seriously, it rules!)

All in all, Astral Chain is the raspberry energy drink of the Switch library. To me, it was one of the very best games of 2019, and the wait for the next installment in the franchise has been way, way too long.

Screenshot-2023-08-26-153808.png

Last edited:
I imagine Nintendo might see Astral Chain as a once per generation game, similar to the advice they gave Ubisoft about Mario + Rabbids.

I need to finish this, but I was really enjoying it before I stopped playing it. what surprised me was how Zelda-like it was. I really hope they make a sequel for Drake and double down on the Zelda-like elements

I have fond memories playing through that game and jamming to the music in the police station. I don't play a lot of character action games, but that one was amazing.

Great thread! One of my favourite games on the Switch and a real breath of fresh air from Nintendo and Platinum. I'd love a sequel and more surprise new IP like this.

It was good. Almost great, but ultimately just pretty good. It was probably my most hyped game of 2019 and while I really liked it several elements were disappointing. The ranking system is the worst I've seen in any action game because it's methodology doesn't fit the game. The story was better in the beginning when it was just Automata and Evangelion memes and once it started taking itself seriously it was ultimately pretty toothless. I loved the platforming but it didn't work half the time. And while I'm way more forgiving of the detective / minigame gameplay than most people, it's hard to deny it isn't as well thought out as the main gameplay and it starts to drag the game down near the end. It's the kind of game that could really benefit from a good sequel.

I still remember this has some of the best action pieces recently. The beggining is very hype with bike sequence just throwing you directly into action. Also I really liek te grading rewards you for trying more things instead of punishing you not making ultra long combos and all that

I have this game and played about half of it, but really enjoyed what I played. I definitely need to start a new playthrough fresh when the release schedule gets thin.

One of my favourite games of 2019, liked it a lot. I'm a sucker for unique combat systems and this one worked really well.

Echoing some of the criticism in regards to the detective stuff and the story. Also thought that the silent protagonist didn't really work for the story it was trying to tell. I think they should have made F!Akira main character and given her a voice.

I definitely need to replay this at some point. Combat is incredible, doing big unchained combos feels so good. I really hope that Platinum is working on a sequel for Switch 2

Also, it's really funny how the story eventually drops all pretense and goes "fuck it, this is just Evengelion, I aint gotta explain anything, you weebs know how this goes"

I didn't like some aspects of it, but those can be fixed in a sequel. Nintendo really should release the soundtrack on streaming or put it up for digital purchase or just sell it somehow.

The story was better in the beginning when it was just Automata and Evangelion memes and once it started taking itself seriously it was ultimately pretty toothless
This was my biggest gripe with the game-- it should have gone full throttle into the anime-as-fuck weirdness.

But anyway, I'm not a story-oriented gamer, Astral Chain handily delivers on that front.

It's a tad overwhelming to control both yourself and your Legions at the same time
This is probably my favorite part of Astral Chain. It's a legitimately fresh spin on the character action/stylish action combat. Having to effectively control two characters at once should be a hot mess, but it's not. You'll enter a rhythm as you bounce off attacks between your PC and your Legion, as if you're hitting a football against a wall over and over.

top-tier collectible in the form of toilets, where you get paper you have to donate to a stall
This is hilarious, I agree! I was hunting for every piece of paper the guy could possibly wipe his butt with.

I am not skilled with these kind of game. I did like the colouring and style of the game anyway. I just couldn't get too far into it. Great game for fans of action Platinum combat though.

Great OP, it's definitely one my favorite 2019 games and probably the most memorable for me. Loved the combat with the legions and how anime it is. The safe house with all the cats is also a highlight for me, just good vibes.

The final boss was definitely a difficulty spike for me though, compared to the rest of the main game. I also ended up doing all of the extra missions and beat Aether after many attempts. I still question if it was worth the time I put in, but beating it was definitely a great feeling.

I definitely agree that there is a lot a sequel can improve on in most areas, whether it be writing or design or even just benefitting from better hardware. Very excited to see what they can cook up next time.

Played it for the first time a few months ago and really liked it. It for sure has areas it can improve on, which is why I really hope it gets a sequel at some point. Especially with how many loose threads are there at the end.

And yeah that soundtrack goes hard af.

Pretty awesome game!

I feel it reached a level of polish and technical proficiency that all other games by Platinum could never touch, which makes me wonder how much of a role Nintendo played in that regard.

And although it is not my favorite game by Platinum, as I prefer the first two Bayonettas, it's easily up there with those two.

Remember when people attacked this game for something to do with 'an ongoing discussion about the role of police in Japan'? So fucking stupid lol

This game is fucking amazing and I sincerely hope there is a sequel asap.

It's a masterpiece that basically appeared out of nowhere.

AC was the first major platinum title (and only so far) I was disappointed in. I found the combat to be dull and disjointed with the level design/side quests/platforming being weak and idk what they were doing with the story.

I really enjoyed what I played of it, although I dropped off midway through and was admittedly having a tough time with controlling both units at once. I honestly loved the detective parts, they really gave the game a unique feel and I would honestly play an entire game that was more of a detective story set in this world; the look and feel of it is very good.

I really struggled with controlling both characters, but I really liked the art direction of the game and the idea of you effectively clotheslining enemies with the chain.

This game was so dope! What a pleasant surprise to go from reveal in Nintendo Direct to release 5-6 months later. My GOTY of 2019.

The art style, the combat, music, how customizable you can make your character, the bits of time you get to explore certain areas and investigate for the objective. It just hit a lot of the right buttons for me. The plot was pretty straightforward like an anime shonen but I still enjoyed it for what it was.

I'm confident Taura and his team will be working on a sequel for the next Switch. It definitely has more room to grow the world and characters and even the Astral Plane itself.

Remember when people attacked this game for something to do with 'an ongoing discussion about the role of police in Japan'? So fucking stupid lol

This game is fucking amazing and I sincerely hope there is a sequel asap.

I haven't played this game, but it's fairly fair to call out something that looks like copaganda as such imo. We really don't need more media that helps uphold an inherently capitalist and discriminatory entity, not that something like Astral Chain or the upcoming Deca Police can't still be enjoyable in spite of that.

I haven't played this game, but it's fairly fair to call out something that looks like copaganda as such imo. We really don't need more media that helps uphold an inherently capitalist and discriminatory entity, not that something like Astral Chain or the upcoming Deca Police can't still be enjoyable in spite of that.
Yup, and it's hard not to have opinions colored on the game when the director was saying stuff like this:
Also, I think it’d be good, too, if you generally have a negative image of the police, but you play through this game, that your image or opinion of the police changes as a result of playing the game.
source: https://www.polygon.com/interviews/...e3-2019-platinumgames-interview-nier-automata

It was fantastic and I really want to play it again now. One of the only action games I can think of in recent memory that really did something interesting with its core combat.

but it's so clearly not actual police in a real-life japan. i don't like police and i don't trust them as far as i can throw them and astral chain is 100% not copaganda. it's an ultra sci-fi alien invasion story where you play as a "cop". Astral Chain making someone sympathetic towards cops is like saying "Independence Day is what made me join the army".

It's the only Platinum Games title (apart from the Turtles, Korra and that battle royale game I didn't play) that took me a while to get into.

I really did appreciate the combat system, but especially in the first few hours I struggled to click with the Legions. Essentially controlling two characters with one set-up just confused my brain and it felt disjointed. It was just my brain yelling "no this can't be right, how will I do this" and after the first upgrades appear, the challenges and the differenct legions you just start slaying.

To be fair to the game, the main villain is the chief of police (that's barely a spoiler, it's ridiculously obvious from minute 1) he's an authoritarian dickhead with a god complex who cordoned off and abandoned a whole sector of the city, leaving the people in there to suffer in squalor unbeknownst to the rest of the populace.

At the end of the game, actual good guys take charge and there's a line about a need for reform. The game isn't the best take at handling cops, but it could have been way worse. If there's a sequel, it'd be pretty easy to ditch the police angle and pivot to the main characters being supernatural exterminators or something.

but it's so clearly not actual police in a real-life japan. i don't like police and i don't trust them as far as i can throw them and astral chain is 100% not copaganda. it's an ultra sci-fi alien invasion story where you play as a "cop". Astral Chain making someone sympathetic towards cops is like saying "Independence Day is what made me join the army".
Media doesn't exist in a vacuum and taking place in fantasy land doesn't sever something from drawing the connotations associated with its real-world counterpart. Especially notable when fiction is often used to explore and critique real things. The cyberpunk genre has a long history of being anti-cop despite being science fiction.

And no one is really saying you can't enjoy or like the game. Liking problematic media is fine, it's usually just best if fans can actually recognize the problematic nature instead of bending themselves backward gong through mental gymnastics to try and defend the idea that it's problematic at all. I probably won't post anymore in the thread because I don't want to bog it down with this stuff, but it's really fucking depressing to see how easily people want to dismiss any concerns with disrespectful takes like calling people "fucking stupid" when people have very justifiable reasons to feeling discomfort seeing cops as heroes.

To be fair to the game, the main villain is the chief of police (that's barely a spoiler, it's ridiculously obvious from minute 1) he's an authoritarian dickhead with a god complex who cordoned off and abandoned a whole sector of the city, leaving the people in there to suffer in squalor unbeknownst to the rest of the populace.

At the end of the game, actual good guys take charge and there's a line about a need for reform. The game isn't the best take at handling cops, but it could have been way worse. If there's a sequel, it'd be pretty easy to ditch the police angle and pivot to the main characters being supernatural exterminators or something.
I don't know, kind of just sounds like bad apple cops vs. good apple cops. But maybe I'm wrong, I'll refrain from further criticism.

Don't think it really knew what it was trying to be, but it was a lot of fun nonetheless. They either need to cut out the filler stuff or put a greater focus on it and flesh the detective stuff out more, it drags the pacing down quite a bit. Chapter 8 in particular was egregious.

Same with the story. If the detective stuff isn't really gonna amount to any sort of interesting legal drama, just cut it out in favor of the action. There were moments that were really interesting, but a lot of it resulted in a big ol pile of nothing.

bobs-burgers-dance.gif

Really enjoyed the game, even if it had it's problems at times with the Legion and the platforming sections with the dog were a goddamn mess. The story was just generic as can be, but that doesn't make the rest any less, and the combat is absolutely amazing and it's probably the last great Platinum game. As much as I enjoy Bayonetta 3 and Origins, 3 had a lot of problems and Origins had some general weird choices when it came to world building and how it was all connected to one another.

Really wish we actually go that trilogy (or at least one sequel), really would love to see the systems in the game be expanded and improved. It was such a unique game and the world building is godtier (including that absolutely ridiculous ice cream minigame) and there's so much potential.

Does anyone know if they ever made a 60fps patch with emulators? Would love to revisit if that way.

Edit: Oh, and before I forget. It had THE BEST character design in a long time as well!

maxresdefault.jpg

Such an awesome game, probably my favorite character action game. Just excellent vibes and stellar gameplay. Do wish we had a voiced protagonist but they'd probably my only real complaint against the game

Really hoping they put out a sequel or other type of follow up soon. I feel like that might be a good fit for an open world ish title like Platinum wanted to try with Bayo 3

I honestly believe this game is severely underrated and applaud Platinum for what they were trying to accomplish here.

Astral Chain feels more like an adventure game at times more so than it is an action game in the vein of DMC and Bayonetta. There are moments of downtime where you interact with characters, or sometimes just soak up the world-building before proceeding on to the next case.

Last edited:
I honestly believe this game is severely underrated and appload PLatinum for what they were trying to accomplish here.

Astral Chain feels more like an adventure game at times more so than it is an action game in the vein of DMC and Bayonetta. There are moments of downtime where you interact with characters, or sometimes just soak up the worldbuilding before proceeding on to the next case.
yeah it succeeds in world-building where IMO bayonetta fails. Bayo has a story it wants to put at the forefront but it never wants to hang around in one place very often. Astral Chain really gets you settled.

I enjoyed the first half of the game, but it fell off the edge of the cliff at the end with the same old tired cliched tropes that have been done to death.

Loved Astral Chain, both company exclusive Platinium titles are a must play for Switch players (Bayonetta 2/3 and Astral Chain)

Really liked it for the most part. My favorite parts were honestly just exploring the levels and doing the detective work stuff. I did dig the combat a lot as well, but the monotony of the Ark environments wore thin pretty quickly.

bobs-burgers-dance.gif

Really enjoyed the game, even if it had it's problems at times with the Legion and the platforming sections with the dog were a goddamn mess. The story was just generic as can be, but that doesn't make the rest any less, and the combat is absolutely amazing and it's probably the last great Platinum game. As much as I enjoy Bayonetta 3 and Origins, 3 had a lot of problems and Origins had some general weird choices when it came to world building and how it was all connected to one another.

Really wish we actually go that trilogy (or at least one sequel), really would love to see the systems in the game be expanded and improved. It was such a unique game and the world building is godtier (including that absolutely ridiculous ice cream minigame) and there's so much potential.

Does anyone know if they ever made a 60fps patch with emulators? Would love to revisit if that way.

Edit: Oh, and before I forget. It had THE BEST character design in a long time as well!

maxresdefault.jpg
Kyle only being in one chapter was such a shame

Adore this game. Combat is fun, the game is gorgeous, and I really liked the quiet parts of the game where you're investigating the area and talking to NPCs. My favorite part of the game tbh. Def underrated.

I really need to get around to finishing this, the reason I didn’t is probably pretty unfair.

For Platinum games I love their focus on a badass main character, culminating in Bayonetta being my favorite video game character of all time. Having a charming and badass MC goes so well with crazy action combat.

So the silent, customized avatar MCs in Astral Chain just really put me off, solely because it didn’t have that crucial aspect that I love the developer’s games for, even if it’s not really a “flaw” in a general sense.

Crazy that its been 4 years. Its still one of my favorite Switch games, and in a way, superior to the Bayonetta games.

Been meaning to go back and replay it eventually and definitely hope we get a sequel soon. Also, Dark Hero is the best song in the game 🙏

Astral Chain is the hypest shit and one of the only Platinum games I actually enjoyed start to finish. I honestly dont really like their games much outside of this one.

This game has been a surprise highlight of the Switch generation for me. With Bayonetta 3 and Bayonetta Origins out the door, I'd be happy if Nintendo next contracted Platinum to work on Astral Chain 2 for Switch 2.

While the high-profile Switch exclusive Platinum game was arguably Bayonetta 3, it's Astral Chain and Bayonetta Origins that I'd rank highest.

Kyle only being in one chapter was such a shame
He does reappear for a few fleeting moments, but that's about it. If we ever get a sequel or (forgive me for dreaming) a spin-off, I hope he's either a lot more in it or just simply the main character.

Back
Top Bottom