• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Ask the Developer |ST| Latest interview: Pikmin 4

Vol. 2 - Nintendo Switch OLED Model

• For those who don't know, this is the new name for the Iwata Asks-style of interviews. This time, they focus on the OLED model.

Vol. 4 - Kirby and the Forgotten Land

• In this volume of Ask the Developer, an interview series in which Nintendo developers convey in their own words Nintendo's thoughts about creating products and the specific points they are particular about, we're talking to developers behind Kirby and the Forgotten Land for Nintendo Switch, launching on March 25th.

• Chapter 1: Why aren't the stages more densely populated?
    • Chapter 2: I can't believe this is the first mainline, 3D Kirby title!
    • Chapter 3: Just an extra bit of "flavour"
    • Chapter 4: Even more wild and free

Ask the Developer is a new series of Iwata Asks-style interviews started by Nintendo. so far there's been 4 interviews, with the first three being for Game Builder Garage, Nintendo Switch OLED Model, and Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain.

Last edited:
    Vol. 5 - Nintendo Switch Sports

• This interview is way too cool not to get its own thread. I strongly advise you all read the entire thing, but here is the major insight from the title:

When did work start for this title? Did the development start with the assumption that it would be a sequel to the Wii Sports series?
    Yamashita:
    The project started a while after the Nintendo Switch system was released. Mr. Koizumi (2) called me and requested the development of a Nintendo Switch title in the Wii Sports series. And that’s how the project started.

So, it started quite a while ago.
    Yamashita:
    Since it launched in 2022, one may wonder why it took so long.

You have been working on it since you received the request from Koizumi-san, haven’t you?
    Yamashita:
    Yes. With the Wii Sports™ and Wii Sports Resort™ games, we came up with as many ideas as we could think of...and most of them were achieved and implemented in the titles, so we felt that we had done all we could. My impression at the time was that if we were to do a sequel in the future, it would be quite difficult. Therefore, when this Nintendo Switch Sports project started, I honestly felt that there weren't any sports left to be added.

So, your starting point was "there is nothing left to do," and you considered creative ways to add new things?

Yamashita:
    Yes. "There may not be so many new sports and types of gameplay anymore. But that's not good enough," and so on. I thought about a lot of things for a while and worked hard on my own. New members joined, and in the process of prototyping, we were conscious of creating something that looked new and different from the past. But we were so conscious of this, that we ended up going as far as having gameplay where you can play without swinging the Joy-Con™ controller. (Laughs)

Without swinging the Joy-Con controller...? The plan was to develop a Nintendo Switch title in the Wii Sports series, right?

Yamashita:
    That’s right. We started off with Wii Sports but got so caught up in making it look new, the swinging motion controls became a secondary consideration, and other aspects of the game, like the game’s atmosphere, became a higher priority for us to put our efforts into. But we were working so hard at the time that we didn't really question it. We were very conscious of creating something new no matter what... However, it didn't go well in the end. We had lost our way and were on the verge of losing the charm of Wii Sports. And by the time we acknowledged we'd pursued the wrong direction, years had already passed.

There are a ton of little details about the design process that really demonstrate what sets Nintendo apart as a development studio. Many surprising considerations went into the game's design, and as such the interview was a very engaging read.

Vol. 6 - Xenoblade Chronicles 3 part 1

• In this volume of Ask the Developer, an interview series in which Nintendo developers convey in their own words Nintendo's thoughts about creating products and the specific points they are particular about, we're talking to developers behind Xenoblade Chronicles 3, launching on Friday, July 29th.

Chapter 1: The relationship between "Xeno" (foreign) things
    Chapter 2 – coming July 27th!
    Chapter 3 – coming July 28th!

Ask the Developer is a new series of Iwata Asks-style interviews started by Nintendo. so far there's been 6 interviews, with the first five being for Game Builder Garage, Nintendo Switch OLED Model, Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, and Nintendo Switch Sports.

Last edited:
    Vol. 6 - Xenoblade Chronicles 3 part 2

• The page has been updated with the second chapter, this time focusing on character art and music. Interestingly, this page has some sketchs showing the finalized designs of Mio, Taion, and Eunie, with those sketches having dates ranging from 11-15-2019 to 11-25-2019. This means that, more than 6 months before XC1 Definitive Edition released, the main character designs had already been finalized for Xenoblade 3.

Back
    Top Bottom