• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Ask the Developer |ST| Latest interview: Pikmin 4

That's it's own thing, the same way Mega Man X is a different entity from classic Mega Man. I secretly hope that they are going to do a sequel (and hopefully a remake to get it off Wii U) at some point.

I expect he is going to be so relieved when they finally get to slap a 4 on the title of the next game :)
Xenoblade Chronicles: First Blood Part 1

I am glad these interviews continue to exist. The story sounds very serious for sure, but also the implication this game closes Xeno and opens the path to a new Xeno series sounds like they went all out with this game.
Cannot wait!

Not a particularly spicy Part 1 of the interview, compared to the Switch Sports one, but it's still cool to have it. Looking forward to the next parts.

Nice read, I hope they talk about music in the next volumes… Also not mentioning XCX is just to not spoil XC3 lol 😝

And yeah Takahashi needs a bigger budget.

Vol. 6 - Xenoblade Chronicles 3 part 2

The page has been updated with the second chapter, this time focusing on character art and music. Interestingly, this page has some sketchs showing the finalized designs of Mio, Taion, and Eunie, with those sketches having dates ranging from 11-15-2019 to 11-25-2019. This means that, more than 6 months before XC1 Definitive Edition released, the main character designs had already been finalized for Xenoblade 3.

It's interesting that Mitsuda actually convinced them to make the flutes that Noah and Mio use, and how they arrived at the decision to use them.

The page has been updated with the second chapter, this time focusing on character art and music. Interestingly, this page has some sketchs showing the finalized designs of Mio, Taion, and Eunie, with those sketches having dates ranging from 11-15-2019 to 11-25-2019. This means that, more than 6 months before XC1 Definitive Edition released, the main character designs had already been finalized for Xenoblade 3.
That makes sense, we knew they had a team working on this even while DE was being made.

Wow. That's pretty much just a 3-3.5 year development cycle then huh. That is assuming they were about a year into preproduction before finalizing the main character.

Monolith soft continues to impress. That is still an insane development time when most of Nintendo's projects have been taking far longer.

It's interesting that Mitsuda actually convinced them to make the flutes that Noah and Mio use, and how they arrived at the decision to use them.
Yeah its crazy to me that they actually pulled that off. It definitely lends the soundtrack its own voice. I guess it helps that, on the Nintendo side of things, Yokota has been working with Takahashi for a while now and clearly appreciates what he's trying to do with his games. He knew that the idea to produce their own flutes wasn't made half-heartedly.

Those flutes would be a great collector's item for the fans if they ever decide to produce them for a limited run. Could be pretty expensive though due to being a premium handcrafted build.

It sounds like those flutes are artisanal builds so there's no way we're getting them as a collectors item. Maybe a cheaper mass-produced version but even then musical instruments are expensive as hell.

Wow. That's pretty much just a 3-3.5 year development cycle then huh. That is assuming they were about a year into preproduction before finalizing the main character.

Monolith soft continues to impress. That is still an insane development time when most of Nintendo's projects have been taking far longer.
When they were interviewed about Definitive Edition, they said that game began pre-planning after the release of 2, and that the staff of DE was shared with one working on a new game. So XC3 was in the works in some fashion since 2018.

I never knew how badly I needed those flutes. They are so beautiful.

Both DE and 3 were greenlit in April 2018 and began full production that August after Torna was finished.
Yes, exactly. Pre-production probably began in late 2017, so this game was around 4.5 years in development, and a bit less than 4 under full production. Still very remarkable considering COVID.

I never knew how badly I needed those flutes. They are so beautiful.

Yes, exactly. Pre-production probably began in late 2017, so this game was around 4.5 years in development, and a bit less than 4 under full production. Still very remarkable considering COVID.
So this means XC4 and XCX remaster are already being worked on rn 🤔

As a VGM lover, the extra length that these composers went to here with designing and crafting custom flutes to match the in-game ones and using them to record the soundtrack is so awesome to see. Such dedication to their craft…

There won’t be a XC4 (in title, at least); the future is XCX2 and a Switch version of XCX (which is the true XC4, narrative-wise), just wait and see~ ;P

Great interview!

And at this point, Xeno is a concept, so it will continue on even if not connected to the first three games (and even then, despite the connections, each entry stands on its own).

Looking at the threadmarks of Ask the Developers, what's Volume 3? It's strange to see a gap between 2 and 4 within this thread.

Thank you for reading.

I see what you did there!

waltergotme.gif

Looking at the threadmarks of Ask the Developers, what's Volume 3? It's strange to see a gap between 2 and 4 within this thread.

Thank you for reading.
1 was game builder garage, which came out before famiboards started, 3 was big brain academy but no one bothered making a thread for that one. i just made this thread today by merging all the separate threads for these interviews. probably better to have one place for all of them.

Really pleased to hear about the DLC being Torna-sized; hopefully it's Torna quality, too! Also genuinely glad that XBC3 is rammed with content; I'm not going to play as many different games as I normally would this year, but there's something really appealing about spending months gradually making my way around XBC3's world. Kinda glad Zelda got delayed now because I actually have the time to just immerse and soak myself in Takahashi and Co's latest dollop of madness.

I'd assume that pre-production soon starts on new Xenoblade titles, depending on how long it is since 3 wrapped up (the fact the release date moved forward means the game was likely finished a few months ago). Things might already be afoot. Difficult to guess when full production begins; full production for XCDE and XBC3 only started when Torna was done. Right now it looks as if the gap between the main game and the story DLC might be quite long compared to the gap between 2 and Torna (9 to 10 months). Story DLC's release is by the end of 2023, so somewhere between 12 and 17 months away seems likely.

Really pleased to hear about the DLC being Torna-sized; hopefully it's Torna quality, too! Also genuinely glad that XBC3 is rammed with content; I'm not going to play as many different games as I normally would this year, but there's something really appealing about spending months gradually making my way around XBC3's world. Kinda glad Zelda got delayed now because I actually have the time to just immerse and soak myself in Takahashi and Co's latest dollop of madness.

I'd assume that pre-production soon starts on new Xenoblade titles, depending on how long it is since 3 wrapped up (the fact the release date moved forward means the game was likely finished a few months ago). Things might already be afoot. Difficult to guess when full production begins; full production for XCDE and XBC3 only started when Torna was done. Right now it looks as if the gap between the main game and the story DLC might be quite long compared to the gap between 2 and Torna (9 to 10 months). Story DLC's release is by the end of 2023, so somewhere between 12 and 17 months away seems likely.
Last time they (Takahashi team) worked in Torna DLC,XC: DE and XC3 at the same time, this makes me wonder what project will take XC: DE place now if we think they are working right now on XC3 DLC and XC4*. I only see XCX remaster if they have plans for the Xeno X franchise if not maybe a Xenoblade spin-off or a small project in which Takahashi and other senior staff take a smaller role to let the younger staff members to start having director and producer experience which is something they have said they are struggling right now.

* XC4 = next mainline XC I don’t mean literally that it will use that name

I know it is not a dig, but at the same time, comes off as an unintended one when they say they want players of the same age of the protagonists to play this game lol

Cause I am sick and tired of seeing (primarily western gamers) want 30-40 year old protags and throwing a fit about the 16-20 protag, not understanding that is much of the audience many jrps target in their home.

Besides, I would rather play as a 19 year old and forget for a moment I am almost 40 lol

I wonder if there will be another physical release for the story scenario. If so, I might skip the Expansion Pass for the time being but I guess we won't find out for a while.

I wonder if there will be another physical release for the story scenario. If so, I might skip the Expansion Pass for the time being but I guess we won't find out for a while.
Generally I'm not keen on buying DLC when Nintendo are so vague as to content and release dates; but I feel, after Golden Country, Monolith Soft are the studio who've earnt the benefit of the doubt. But yeah, it's also nice having a physical copy if one is available.

Same boat. When Torna came out I really wish I had waited.

But at the same time… I want all the extra stuff before the story expansion.

I’ll double dip this time.

Last time they (Takahashi team) worked in Torna DLC,XC: DE and XC3 at the same time, this makes me wonder what project will take XC: DE place now if we think they are working right now on XC3 DLC and XC4*. I only see XCX remaster if they have plans for the Xeno X franchise if not maybe a Xenoblade spin-off or a small project in which Takahashi and other senior staff take a smaller role to let the younger staff members to start having director and producer experience which is something they have said they are struggling right now.

* XC4 = next mainline XC I don’t mean literally that it will use that name
XCX I think gets a re-release at some point simply because it is a game that can and will find a bigger audience on Switch and whatever new hardware is coming soon. It'll be a question of resources - can XCX be ported over efficiently, as a stop-gap, without diverting resources from a fifth mainline Xenoblade title and anything else Monolith Soft are doing? I could see Takahashi wanting to add extra content and to tie up some loose ends, which perhaps might make it easier to move on to an XCX sequel down the line.

But a decision on a sequel doesn't need to be made ahead of time, or for an XCX port to happen; resource levels would be the hurdle to clear, I think.

Since they're already confirming it'll be at least as big as Torna it's pretty likely.

Generally I'm not keen on buying DLC when Nintendo are so vague as to content and release dates; but I feel, after Golden Country, Monolith Soft are the studio who've earnt the benefit of the doubt. But yeah, it's also nice having a physical copy if one is available.
My general rule is to not buy DLC before it's worth the asking price, which ended up not happening until Torna. That's still the only bit of the DLC I really sank into, the other bits had appeal but I found trying to revisit them after beating the game... clunky.

Since they're already confirming it'll be at least as big as Torna it's pretty likely.
I think this is likely based on their self-admitted tendency towards scope creep in the interview, but it should be noted that "confirming" it's at least that big is misrepresenting what they said. The exact wording was "We are thinking of making its volume of content as large as [Torna]". It's very non-committal.

That said, he assures in the following sentence that it'll be a "high volume of content" that "won't let you down". But I think we should be thinking of it as about the size of Torna, with potential to be a little bigger or smaller.

In this eighth volume of Ask the Developer, an interview series in which Nintendo developers convey in their own words Nintendo's thoughts about creating products and the specific points they are particular about, we're talking to developers behind Fire Emblem Engage for Nintendo Switch, launching on Friday, January 20th.

Chapter 1: Motivating players to give Fire Emblem a try
Chapter 2 – coming January 18th!
Chapter 3 – coming January 19th!

I'm very happy that Nintendo has started publishing content like this again. It's absolutely fascinating, all the volumes published so far are great. I don't know who's conducting these interviews, and I understand that it's not stated out of respect for Iwata, but it would be great if Shinya Takahashi had taken over. Let's not forget that it was Iwata who chose him as his successor as head of SPD. I'm actually very happy that such brilliant people as Takahashi and Koizumi are in important positions, and I hope that this will continue.

I'm very happy that Nintendo has started publishing content like this again. It's absolutely fascinating, all the volumes published so far are great. I don't know who's conducting these interviews, and I understand that it's not stated out of respect for Iwata, but it would be great if Shinya Takahashi had taken over. Let's not forget that it was Iwata who chose him as his successor as head of SPD. I'm actually very happy that such brilliant people as Takahashi and Koizumi are in important positions, and I hope that this will continue.

It's Shigesato Itoi's company (1101). They also did the Iwata Asks series.

Ask The Developer is literally a direct continuation of Iwata Asks in all but name.

I think Takahashi said that he's not one for being in the spotlight too much. Instead prefering to support other developers visions in the background. I think this is also why him and Koizumi alternate Direct hosting duties.

Last edited:
I love these interviews they do right before the game comes out! Definitely enjoyed reading the XB3 and FE Engage ones.

Especially part 2 of FE, seeing how they pick the artist for the installment and how said artist gets to work on the whole thing has been intriguing!
It gave me a new found appreciation to game developing as a whole!

I think Takahashi said that he's not much for being in the spotlight too much. Instead prefering to support other developers visions in the background. I think this is also why him and Koizumi alternate Direct hosting duties.
I totally agree, butand that's why this kind of format is ideal for him: he puts the spotlight on the developers. I love Koizumi, but for me he is more like a spiritual successor of Miyamoto, while Takahashi's work is more global.

I totally agree, butand that's why this kind of format is ideal for him: he puts the spotlight on the developers. I love Koizumi, but for me he is more like a spiritual successor of Miyamoto, while Takahashi's work is more global.
Given Nintendo's goals with the Switch, Takahashi was always the best pick to run EPD over Miyamoto. Not to disrespect Miyamoto, but I and other Nintendo fans had plenty of issues with how he was running EAD during the Wii U era. Games took forever to come out due to not preparing for HD sooner, and not having the tools make development smoother, leading to massive game droughts and big IPs taking forever to come out. I feel like he also had a sort of tunnel-vision, being more focused on what interested him and his teams rather than what the Wii U needed as a platform. I feel like he would've struggled to run EPD given its larger role within the company.

Takahashi so far I think, is better at coordinating releases and ensuring a diverse lineup of titles, as well as embracing new development tools like the Bezel Engine. Again, Miyamoto is a legend, and he has a lot of strengths. I'm just not sure he would've been up to the task of running EPD.

What I really like about the current management of EPD is that Takahashi and Koizumi, who are both great talents, are perfectly complementary. Everyone is exactly in the right place.

Furukawa has inherited this organization (and the success of Nintendo Switch), but we'll truly see what kind of leader he is based on his ability to support these talents when things aren't going so well. For example in the face of often ignorant shareholders. Remember how much they screwed Iwata over for Nintendo to make dumb mobile games?

Back
Top Bottom