• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Asano: "I'm sure we'll be able to tell you about some developments in the Bravely series this year"

mazi

picross pundit

\Default 2 3rd anniversary celebration! /
Many messages will be sent during the year-end and New Year project,
Thank you m_ _m

I'm sure we'll be able to tell you about some developments in the Bravely series this year, so please keep an eye out for it. Asano P.

My initial reaction was that it’s way too soon, but damn, it really has been 3 years since Default II, huh. Wonder what they end up doing. Remasters/remakes of the 3DS duology? Bravely Third? Second II? Default III?

God, the naming conventions of this franchise are so bad lol, I love it.

Yes! This is the news I've been waiting for. BD2 such an improvement over the past games, can't wait what he has in store for a sequel. BD3 or Bravely Third, I'll take anything. Even the return of the Final Fantasy branding to the series!

I'm excited! Hopefully, the next game is cross-gen.

It's a small nitpick, but they messed up the names.
The sequel to Bravely Default should have been called Bravely Default II.
And Bravely Default II should have been called Bravely Second.

But most importantly, where is Dragon Quest III?!

Hell yeah, was definitely my most wanted next Asano. BD2 was great

I'd prefer a new game but I'll take ports of the first two since I've never played them

Willing to bet on it being a new mobile spinoff but 3 years since BD2 definitely opens the possibility of a new console game.

There was a noticeable lack of S-E at the Partner Direct so hopefully Asano shows up at the next main one.

If I had to bet on something it'd be a Bravely Default 1 remaster (maybe combo with Bravely Second?). But I would absolutely take a BD3!

That's great timing! I've finally got my partner to play Bravely Default 2, which to me is better than the original

Hopefully we could get a BD3 announcement, or something? I do love new settings, so the games feel more like numbered Final Fantasies

Bravely third to resolve that cliffhanger or ports of the first two please

Dropped II like a rock the minute i realized it ignored the cliffhanger

Didn't they talk about remaking/mastering the 3DS game a while ago already? Could definitely see that happening

Didn't they talk about remaking/mastering the 3DS game a while ago already? Could definitely see that happening
this was back in october 2022

this was back in october 2022
Oh. That was in '22? Wow. Guess it's about time then 😅

I’m hoping a remake of BD1 and Second. BDFF is my favorite FF since FFXII, but I never got to play Second since I was in a tight spot financially when it came out.

Thanks for the reminder that I still need to finish BDII lol.

I 99% expect this to be a remaster or remake of the first one.

I found BD2’s combat and job system was a joy, but the rest of the game was pretty uninspired to me. I’m kind of tired of the weak plot and extremely by-the-numbers progression: new town -> somebody corrupt with an asterisk -> beat em / save town. Surely they can have asterisks and have less templated feeling design.

I’m still here for BD3. I think they’re close to having something really great.

Hot take but the game could go for a more detailed art style. Less chibi. It worked on 3DS. I think they can do something more detailed now if it's for Switch/Switch2/Multiplat. And they have to nail the story this time.

Hot take but the game could go for a more detailed art style. Less chibi. It worked on 3DS. I think they can do something more detailed now if it's for Switch/Switch2/Multiplat. And they have to nail the story this time.

While I do love what they did with BD2, it would be fun to see what they could do with models closer to the concept art. I suspect this would require a fair bit more time and money to do well tho.

Edit:
As I’m aware there’s concept art for the more chibi look, I’m talking about this:

OIP.N53mDnecHoyn34GEiKAtdgHaKe

Was hoping to get something Bravely related in the partner showcase but hey getting news a few days later is awesome!

Hoping it's either Bravely Third or a remaster of the original Bravely Default

While I do love what they did with BD2, it would be fun to see what they could do with models closer to the concept art. I suspect this would require a fair bit more time and money to do well tho.

Edit:
As I’m aware there’s concept art for the more chibi look, I’m talking about this:

Yeah this looks way better imo.

I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

Honestly I think it will be a remaster/remake of BD and BS, but I really hope that they'll confirm Bravely Third as well. I need that game so much!

Hopefully 2024 or 2025 BD game is BD 1 + Second HD Remaster, maybe even have 1 have the QOL that Second introduced.

2025 or 2026 BD game will be BD III/Third/Thirdly with a twist

That twist being the merger of BD Second and II cast

I do love that it's being referred to as the "Bravely" series, chances are very real that they could go for a "Bravely Third" that feels closer to the first two games and ignores II, the way II kinda ignored Second and took a different direction. This strikes me as a franchise that refuses to play by any rules.

Tbh I haven't played II more than the demo, it didn't really grab me at all, the character designs, their personalities, the music, the flow of battle and exploration were all not what I was looking for in a BD sequel. It felt like an off-brand rip-off by a different team.

Edit:

This but in Vanillaware-style 2D would be the dream.

I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

Honestly I think it will be a remaster/remake of BD and BS, but I really hope that they'll confirm Bravely Third as well. I need that game so much!
I know you're a big BD fan as well so I want to ask you. What's your opinion on a remaster having to ditch dual screen and street pass functions? I really liked both for the game tbh but I guess the street pass stuff could now be just tied to Online? You could get helpers through spot pass after all.

Have to admit as much as I love BD I still haven't played BDII because after playing the demo it seemed like a step down from the predecessors to me (and because of time lol)... BUT I'm happily looking forward to anything that could be coming in the future

Not surprised by this in the slightest but it's good to see Asano throw a bone to Bravely fans and downright soft-confirm an upcoming announcement. BD was always next in line among the existing arsenal of Team Asano original IPs, so something Bravely+DQIII Remake was immediately what my mind went to when I saw their new year's postcard message.

As for myself I bought BD2 more than a year ago (apparently, just checked when it last went on sale) but I still have to play it! And I've never played the first two either, so selfishly I'd like to see a remade duology, yes, that's both of them in a single SKU. I have faith in Team Asano. I know the man can positively surprise us.

I really enjoyed Bravely Default 2 on Switch, but honestly didn’t think much of the original and its concept at all. If they remake it there’s lots I’d want them to change, from how the fourth-wall-breaking chapters go to the creepy old wizard guy. I liked the music, and the general idea, and ‘store up actions’ has obviously inspired Octopath too, but I just don’t think BD was that strong at all on a system with tons of great rpgs.

Team Asano is essentially just a publishing branch, they don’t develop anything. DQIII is being developed by Spike Chunsoft, from what I remember.
A couple of small corrections, DQ III Remake is/was being co-developed with AMATA K.K., unclear whether they're still on the project as any mention of them has been scrubbed from the announcement trailer, and Team Asano does have creatives on the projects they produce (such as lead artists or writers), though a lot of the work, the bulk of it arguably, is done by their co-developers, on that you're absolutely correct.

Come on Bravely 3 more in the vain of 1 and second. Combat is snappier with no ATB, characters are simple but charming and the art style while basic feels more cohesive to me, all the extra details don't seem to come together as well. And the lack of all the extra little convenience and difficulty options bravely second had wasn't great. That's the entire point of the bravely games. Or if they try something new they capture more of what I like about the first 2 games.

Hopefully its more than just bravely 1/second remastered...

Here's my deal:

I think Bravely Default 2 is a much better game than the original. Better characters, similar quality soundtrack, better writing, much better pacing

And the mysteries of its plot lend to much better qualities of speculation and potential sequel links, too

I know you're a big BD fan as well so I want to ask you. What's your opinion on a remaster having to ditch dual screen and street pass functions? I really liked both for the game tbh but I guess the street pass stuff could now be just tied to Online? You could get helpers through spot pass after all.

Have to admit as much as I love BD I still haven't played BDII because after playing the demo it seemed like a step down from the predecessors to me (and because of time lol)... BUT I'm happily looking forward to anything that could be coming in the future
(I'm happy to see that I'm recognised for my love for this franchise❤️)

Honestly I think it will take me time to adjust to the lack of the dual screen, but I think that they can make it work if they do a full remake (with a remaster it will be harder imho, because it would be obvious that it was meant to be on two screens...). For the street pass feature I think they can change it with only spot pass (i.e. online) and that's it.

I'm more worried about the lack of the camera tho, since it's used in some occasions in the game. But again, I think they can make it work with a full remake.

Another thing I'm worried about is the reconstruction minigame + the sleep points. In the 3DS you could put your console in sleep mode and that's it, but I think it's trickier on the switch.
You can always put that in sleep mode too, but not everyone has a personal switch but more of a common switch for all the family. In that case I think it will be harder to use the sleep mode to obtain new shops and the sleep points.
(Also, please, no microtransation again for the sleep points. That option should be completely abolished lmao.)

I loved BDII! I think the story is not as good as BD, but honestly I loved everything else about that game, so I highly recommend it!

Hopefully 2024 or 2025 BD game is BD 1 + Second HD Remaster, maybe even have 1 have the QOL that Second introduced.

2025 or 2026 BD game will be BD III/Third/Thirdly with a twist

That twist being the merger of BD Second and II cast
I'm still fully convinced that the "II" is not a 2 but a representation of something "parallel", as if the story of BD2 is happening in a parallel dimension.
I can totally see Bravely Third to connect both of the casts.

I'm still fully convinced that the "II" is not a 2 but a representation of something "parallel", as if the story of BD2 is happening in a parallel dimension.
I can totally see Bravely Third to connect both of the casts.
Yeah, the II could be two parallel lines instead of a Roman numeral. There’s potential for the series to coexist with two types of storilines that are independent from one another

(I'm happy to see that I'm recognised for my love for this franchise❤️)

Honestly I think it will take me time to adjust to the lack of the dual screen, but I think that they can make it work if they do a full remake (with a remaster it will be harder imho, because it would be obvious that it was meant to be on two screens...). For the street pass feature I think they can change it with only spot pass (i.e. online) and that's it.

I'm more worried about the lack of the camera tho, since it's used in some occasions in the game. But again, I think they can make it work with a full remake.

Another thing I'm worried about is the reconstruction minigame + the sleep points. In the 3DS you could put your console in sleep mode and that's it, but I think it's trickier on the switch.
You can always put that in sleep mode too, but not everyone has a personal switch but more of a common switch for all the family. In that case I think it will be harder to use the sleep mode to obtain new shops and the sleep points.
(Also, please, no microtransation again for the sleep points. That option should be completely abolished lmao.)

I loved BDII! I think the story is not as good as BD, but honestly I loved everything else about that game, so I highly recommend it!
Yeah the reconstruction is what I was thinking of too... But they would find a way to make it work for sure. I'm curious if you have any other additions in mind for a potential remake?

I unfortunately feel like BDII is a downgrade visually on all fronts (except Town background those are always beautiful), but I will get to it... eventually!!

Hopefully it's not another random mobile game that won't come outside of Japan.
But yeah, pretty cool news. Bravely, Second and II all are games that I really liked a lot. Bravely 1 is one of the game that has reconciled me with traditional RPGs ; Second is just brilliant and II was slightly less good than the others two imo (mainly because of the plot/twists/etc) but it was still a great game and a solid RPG. So I'm more than happy if we could have a new game, well I would be happy even if that ends up being a remaster.

Yeah the reconstruction is what I was thinking of too... But they would find a way to make it work for sure. I'm curious if you have any other additions in mind for a potential remake?

I unfortunately feel like BDII is a downgrade visually on all fronts (except Town background those are always beautiful), but I will get to it... eventually!!
Imho Bravely Second is okay as it is, but for BD I hope they’ll make the second half of the game less repetitive.
I think a good idea for that is to make the subquests really different at every loop, and not only in the last one + add some qol to the game obv.

Otherwise I’m good with everything else. A dream would be more sidequests in general that explores the asterisks holder better (but I think they are already really fleshed out in both games) + one or two new asterisks. But I think this is impossible lol

What about you?

Imho Bravely Second is okay as it is, but for BD I hope they’ll make the second half of the game less repetitive.
I think a good idea for that is to make the subquests really different at every loop, and not only in the last one + add some qol to the game obv.

Otherwise I’m good with everything else. A dream would be more sidequests in general that explores the asterisks holder better (but I think they are already really fleshed out in both games) + one or two new asterisks. But I think this is impossible lol

What about you?
The repetitive stuff is a great pick, the biggest problem of the game probably. Though I will say when I first played the game in 2013/14 I wasn't bothered by it lol It felt like a mystery that I was unraveling.

Man other than that it's tough. Bravely Second was a little snappier when going through the menus, that would be a minor thing to adjust in a rerelease. Same with being able to adjust the encounter rate without going to the menu. More asterisks are something they could never add enough of for me lol honestly it's hard to think of any major things I'd want them to change that you haven't mentioned.... Maybe additional outfits for the overworld that aren't tied to the asterisks? Could be fun

Now I wanna play BD again

Bravely Third or Bravely Default III plz. use all your resources on those

daily reminder that when you reach the second half of Bravely Default 1 you're done 80% of the game already. almost all of the content people complain about in the second half are completely optional. no need to stall yourself out of finishing the game.

Back
Top Bottom