• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News as part of Epic's commitment to turn Fortnite into a full platform, the game now has THREE separate ratings by the ESRB.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
Fortnite-Games_12-02-23-768x432.jpg

you've probably seen the news already, Fortnite is now getting three new game modes built by the various studios Epic has acquired over the years.
a racing mode by Psyonix, a survival crafting game involving LEGO, and a rhythm game by Harmonix. but the press release has a very bizzare detail buried in it.
Rocket Racing is developed by Psyonix, the visionary team behind Rocket League, and will be available to play on December 8, 2023 in Fortnite with an E rating.

LEGO Fortnite is the first digital play experience from the long term partnership between Epic and The LEGO Group, and will be available December 7, 2023 with an E10+ rating.

The Weeknd will kick off Fortnite Festival Season 1 as the game’s first Music Icon when the game goes live December 9, 2023 with a Teen rating.
every mode has it's own age rating, with only the rhythm game (particularly ironic considering it's the least violent of the three) using the same Teen rating the base Fortnite game has.

the ESRB has always had policies allowing DLC to get a higher age rating than the base game, with some notable examples including the various "Blood & Gore packs" released for the Total War games, and SNK 40th anniversary collection cordoning off some of the more violent games onto a separate (free) DLC package on some platforms.
but this is the first time an age rating has gone down during the process, and the same game having three completely different ratings.

I like the doors this opens. I wonder if collections or say, the NSO apps, could get individual ratings for their games, it Nintendo wanted.

Ironically they just started with their seperate NSO 18+ initiative for N64, so they seem to be doing the exact opposite.

I don't understand Epic's obsession with "Fortnite as a platform". It doesn't have the UI for it, it's confusing to consumers who need to know what parts to install or not install or update or not update, and Fortnite, even just the BR, already had SO many options and variations that the main menu was cluttered.

In short, huh? Hwhat? Uh? ???

I like the doors this opens. I wonder if collections or say, the NSO apps, could get individual ratings for their games, it Nintendo wanted.

Ironically they just started with their seperate NSO 18+ initiative for N64, so they seem to be doing the exact opposite.

I don't understand Epic's obsession with "Fortnite as a platform". It doesn't have the UI for it, it's confusing to consumers who need to know what parts to install or not install or update or not update, and Fortnite, even just the BR, already had SO many options and variations that the main menu was cluttered.

In short, huh? Hwhat? Uh? ???
Epic is riding their cashcow as hard as they possibly can, and they're apparently determined to just do weird shit to keep it relevant, I guess?

It’s basically what Rovio tried to do with Angry Birds but on a level that’s way more effective. Turn their cash cow into as many things as possible in order to see what will fly while they can. Doesn’t really seem that different to Nintendo putting out Mario golf, Mario tennis, Mario Kart, Mario RPG to me, apart from the ‘game modes’ rather than separate games thing. That just seems confusing to me but then I’m old.

Last edited:
Doesn’t really seem that different to Nintendo putting out Mario golf, Mario tennis, Mario Kart, Mario RPG to me, apart from the ‘game modes’ rather than separate games thing. That just seems confusing to me but then I’m old.

Unironically, I'd love to see on Switch 2 a 'Mario Sports' gaas, continuously updated through the years with various games (like golf, tennis, baseball, etc.), characters, and outfits.

Unironically, I'd love to see on Switch 2 a 'Mario Sports' gaas, continuously updated through the years with various games (like golf, tennis, baseball, etc.), characters, and outfits.
Best I can do is switch sports 2 now even halfer baked.

Lego Fortnite actually looks so beautiful on Switch. One of the best looking and performing open world games on Switch. Crazy.

"Find it in Fortnite" is such a weird branding...
get used to it because there will be more coming

Several more Lego-themed games will launch inside Fortnite starting early next year, Epic Games has now confirmed, while thousands of physical Lego bricks and pieces will be added to Fortnite for creators to use in their own fan-made Lego modes.

This sounds much more like a Netflix for Games. Though I have to say I really hate that Lego Trailer. It follows all the bad trends of modern movie trailers with some contextless pop song with heavy reverb and this "shot" sound effect that is so overused.

I actually am attempting to give Fortnite a shot again (Battle royale shooters just never appealed to me) and the Lego mode seems interesting. Basically a kid-friendly scavenging/exploration/crafting game with occasional basic combat. Also looks way prettier than the base game in terms of lighting and even crazier is that they’ve manually gone and made Lego equivalents of nearly every existing skin.

If the racing and rhythm elements are also similarly well-made I may finally start diving into this game more often. I like a good arcade-y/kart racer and am a Harmonix stan since the Frequency/Amplitude days, and the brief tastes of the festival mode look very Rock Band Unplugged/Blitz where all instruments and even vocals are done via standard buttons rather than peripherals or actual singing. I can roll with that if there’s enough content.

Are they intending everything in Fortnite (barring the original Save the World) to be free to play with just paid cosmetics?
We’ll have a better guess for this once the remaining modes are out this weekend. Im bracing for an additional pass for the rhythm game because licensing many individual big songs gets pricey.

more LEGO content, probably not going to change the age rating further

there’s rumors that LEGO is considering letting people make custom (even monetized) content with their assets, and presumably this is a test for that.

will Fortnite ever get an M rated experience and complete the rating quad? probably not here.

Back
Top Bottom