• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore |ST| What All True Warriors Strive For

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
ArzetteSTHeader.jpeg

Release Date: February 14th, 2024
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Steam, PlayStation 4/5, Xbox Series S/X
Genre: Action Adventure Platformer
Developer: Seedy Eye Software
Publisher: Limited Run Games
Download Size: 1.9 GB (Switch Version)

ArzetteIntroHeader.Jpeg

Publisher Description

After ten years of peace...the evil Daimur has returned! Princess Arzette is the Kingdom of Faramore’s only hope to restore harmony to the land!
In this brand new interactive action adventure game, you control the resourceful princess Arzette. Travel through multiple breathtaking locations filled with scum, villainy and secrets, speak with the locals to uncover mysteries and objectives, and take on the evil Daimur as Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore brings you the best interactive gaming experience since the invention of the CD-ROM!

Featuring:
• Hand painted backgrounds and incredible sprite art.
• Fully voice-acted cartoon cinematics with a colorful cast of characters.
• A sprawling world with diverse locations and many secrets.
• Acquire powerful items and abilities by exploring and helping those in need.
• Veteran dev team including artist Rob Dunlavey, Digital Foundry's John Linneman and Audi Sorlie, voice talent Jeffrey Rath and Bonnie Jean Wilbur, and award winning composer Jake "Button Masher" Silverman.

Characters

The below Character Art and Descriptions were posted to Arzette's official twitter account!

F28au4UXwBYuh3b

Arzette: Good natured, fierce, and determined, Arzette is both hero and Princess of the Kingdom of Famare. Skilled in sword fighting and magic, she is the only one capable of defeating the evil Daimur. Arzette wants to help everyone she can and is conflicted on how to best serve the Kingdom once the crown passes to her.

F3GmymZXYAAynmm

King Rahklin: The gentle kindhearted King of Faramore in his twilight years who loves both food and cigars. He is too quick to trust others, a hard lesson learned after enduring the treachery of Duke Nedelki. He hopes to pass on much of his wisdom to his beloved daughter Arzette while he can.

F3Gm2GAXoAoTrlT

Dail: A goofy bard and unlikely hero who, by sheer luck, helped vanquish the evil Daimur alongside Arzette ten years ago. He has since retired with this considerable spoils to spend the rest of his days in the royal castle, occasionally entertaining the King.

F8Qj2BmXMAAYQrH

Daimur: An evil demon king. Daimur will stop at nothing in his wicket quest to conquer Faramore. His previous attempt ten years ago was thankfully thwarted by Arzette: trapped in the book of Oakurin, which was sealed with the Jewel of Faramore, his escape was thought to be impossible. If only that were true...

F8QkN4SXgAAnkzE

Wogram: The King's royal advisor. A master of magical combat and strategy, he led the siege on Daimur's castle ten years ago. He has trained Arzette in sword fighting as well as the art of magic. Despite his prowess, he is a bit aloof.

F8Qklp-XcAAr0ha

Duke Nodelki: The traitorous, disgraced former Duke who has spent the last ten years doing hard labor in the Kingdom's strongholds. He betrayed Faramore by handing over the island of his rule, Amelog, to Daimur in hopes of winning his favor. He may have had a hand in Daimur's return...

Physical Edition

Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore will be releasing digitally on February 14th, 2024, but preorders for a physical edition, including the Collector's Editions and a special controller, will be available for your platform of choice until March 17th!

Preorder Page

arzette-the-jewel-of-faramore-limited-run-games-collectors-ediition-1.png
limited-run-games-retro-inspired-pink-controller.png

ArzetteMedia.Jpeg

Trailers

Official Website: https://arzette.com/

A Final Note
As many of you may know, the development of this game was helmed by our very own @Dopply , a person who was absolutely instrumental in the creation of Famiboards, so the release of this game is an extremely special one for this community. We cannot congratulate him enough on finally seeing this project come to fruition, and wish him all the success in the world on this release and all future projects.

You really did it, and we couldn't be more proud of you.

So I hope all of you reading who are interested go out and support this game! The world needs more silly and heartfelt stuff like this.

GB-pLMNWUAAA9J5

Game looks great, can't wait to play and nice write up OP.

1.9 GB?! Looks like I’ll have to stop dawdling and transfer all my data to the new micro SD card I bought in December.

I’m very tempted to pre-order LRG’s completely unnecessary CD-i replica paddle controller. I shouldn’t want it, but here we are. And the fuchsia one is only available in the Collector’s Edition bundle?!

IMG-1492.gif

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH

Wonderful ST! The game is out in Europe on Switch right now and unlocks later tonight for everywhere else. I am so super excited to finally release the game! It's been a really long journey, I am unbelievably lucky. I can't wait to see what people think about it.

I’ve got my copy downloading now, very much looking forward to diving in tomorrow!

Super excited to play this when I can! Would love to get the special edition but I don't know if that's in the cards for me. I've got plenty of time to think it over.

I'm gonna wait for this week's presentation before I decide if I buy this immediately, but I'll get it eventually regardless.

Congrats for the ST and also congrats @Dopply !

At first I wasn't sure this game was a good idea, I thought it would be like Sharkanado and other bad movies on purpose but this kind of thing usually doesn't translate well for games, especially with all the problems of the original CDi Zelda games that are nowhere to be seen in Arzette.

Reviews are coming in! I am...very happy, to say the least. Haha.

Great ST!
Reviews are coming in! I am...very happy, to say the least. Haha.

Congrats!

Dail keeps cracking me up, I really love the campy writing, and the animation is genuinely impressive so far.

First Jewel shard down.

Last edited:
Okay, so I started playing tonight, and maybe I was not following the pre-release as closely as I should have, but I was not expecting Aezette to get a fucking gun that is powered by the soups of monsters! Our princess was rightfully creeped out!!

It's been fascinating to see a take on the CD-I style cutscenes where the protagonist is very aware of how freaking wacky things are. It's very funny in a way that doesn't feel like it's being too mean-spirited, just having fun with the concept!

Okay, so I started playing tonight, and maybe I was not following the pre-release as closely as I should have, but I was not expecting Aezette to get a fucking gun that is powered by the soups of monsters! Our princess was rightfully creeped out!!

It's been fascinating to see a take on the CD-I style cutscenes where the protagonist is very aware of how freaking wacky things are. It's very funny in a way that doesn't feel like it's being too mean-spirited, just having fun with the concept!
Haha, I actually made it a point to keep that a secret in all of the pre-release marketing and trailers. I wanted players to be surprised, so I'm glad that happened to you!

Appreciate the kind words. The response has been overwhelming, in the best way. Forbes said Arzette was the best indie game so far this year! I never imagined it'd go over like this, I'm so grateful.

2 shards recovered now. The area themes are definitely bopping, and the game is opening up more. Haven't found much utility yet for the crow slide, but I'm sure it's coming. Context clues are indicating I'll get something like a double jump eventually, so I'm looking forward to that.

I like how while being an homage to the CD-I Zeldas, camp factor and all, the game embraces the aesthetic but never at the expense of telling the story it wants to tell. I admittedly have not played the older games, but the frequent story cutscenes add a lot and make me really like Arzette as a character.

So I intended to keep playing more Arzette today, and that ended up turning into...finishing the game!

2024021921104500-F3-F5628788-F134-CD05261-E9-DF2-F9-FA18.jpg

Needless to say, I had a pretty good time. Arzette wears its inspiration on its sleeve. The presentation captures that mid 90's CD game aesthetic really well, there are plenty of wacky NPCs to meet, and many of the base mechanics and items are present - you will be using lots of bombs and lamp oil!

But this is no mere clone. It not being as janky as the Zelda CD-I games is already a big one, though that should be obvious given the prior fan remakes (which I still need to play). Even from early on, though, Arzette takes a different tonal direction. Our heroine is a lot more grounded than either Link or Zelda. Arzette's reactions to silly NPCs that would be right at home in Gamalon or Koradai never failed to be funny. At the same time, it never felt like the game was mocking itself or its world, and thus when the story does take itself more seriously, it doesn't feel unearned. The king's passing is a great example. I was genuinely not expecting a story about a casually lesbian princess who actively seeks to stop the cycle of evil not by sealing it away and pushing the problem back but by destroying it at its core followed immediately by giving up her throne in favor of instituting a democratic government, but consider me pleasantly and delightfully surprised! I better get some fan art of that coffee date!

I remember hearing Wonder Boy comparisons beforehand, and that is very apt! Arzette ends up with a pretty formidable arsenal, and you'll be using them to explore older areas and find even more goodies. The most obvious new addition is the Smart Gun, which ends up being both an effective ranged option and one of the game's main puzzle solving tools with its color shifting ammo. But you get your fair share of new tools, both optional and required. You get mobility upgrades like a double jump and faster run, new means of breaking blocks and dealing with specific enemies, and some pretty powerful offensive and defensive buffs.. Arzette may start off kinda difficult, but if you find all of the upgrades, you end up with a busted as hell character. Almost too busted, honestly! But I do acknowledge that the most busted tools require you to explore and interact with NPCs. I'd also be lying if I didn't find tearing through older areas with my souped up abilities satisfying as hell, in true Metroidvania fashion. If I can offer a point of critique, I think the color switching mechanic for the Smart Gun worked as a progression block but wasn't very interesting because the two shot types were identical, something that sets in when you get purple magic in the end game. I similarly didn't find myself using the flute except to break the green blocks. I'd be interested in seeing more applications for the Smart Gun like ammo with different effects or trajectories, or maybe a bigger focus on those new moves over the situational items of the back half.

Of course, none of this stopped me from wanting to see this charming journey through to the end. I might even try Hero Mode! Congrats on getting Arzette out there, @Dopply! I'm all in for seeing what you work on next, especially with that sequel hook at the end.

Thanks for the reminder to pick this up. I am often fascinated by "bad" games made by clearly good developers, usually under time or technical constraints. There are often little bits of inspiration that are worth recovering, and I love that this celebrates that whole-heartedly.

Since it is Link’ed to Arzette, I’d like to share this :

It’s not just a YTP, it’s a fundraiser for American Heart Association.

I wanted to share my honest review on the game (it's in portuguese 🇧🇷 )

In short, I loved it! In fact, I love that this even exists! Props to the team and their bold direction! ✨

Finally got to start this game. It's kinda janky and I really regret not playing on easy. But it is oddly charming, especially the main character and her reaction to all the, uh, "colourful" characters she encounters :LOL:

Played it recently, it was really fun! As someone with lots of fond YTP memories, I loved all the CD-i esque cutscenes and references while also enjoying the genuinely solid gameplay!

Back
Top Bottom