• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Artist Julius Hofmann is creating paintings with an early 3D aesthetic, and that rules

big lantern ghost

the notorious blg
Pronouns
he/him
Just saw this a moment ago and it blew my mind, thought maybe some people here would be interested too. An artist named Julius Hofmann is building a body of paintings with an early CGI / early 3D video games aesthetic. I have never seen anything quite like it before, and now I extremely need a print! Wild they can achieve this with paint. Here are a few pieces:

3FzTfkt.png

8UcNInr.png

gsEan69.png

Here is a good article about the artist (that these images and more are from!) if you'd like some more info.

those three paintings are all very, uhh, what’s the word, liminal? theyre creepy. super cool!

not really seeing an "early 3D" style here, if anything it's more standard cubist art than anything else. also one of the artworks is of a naked woman, so you might want to tag the link as NSFW.

it's worth noting that old versions of Bryce 3D (an example of an old application used to create early 3D art which this artist is presumably simulating.) surprisingly still work on modern Windows, though the fact it wasn't designed for multi-core CPUs means render times are quite long even on a powerful PC.

there were newer versions as late as 2012, though i don't think you'd get the same aesthetic out of it.

These look like the makings of a PS1 era detective game where the main character tries to search for the cause of the explosion that wrecked his hometown

Back
Top Bottom