• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club ARMS is Nintendo at its most SEGA

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
ARMS rules and is the most Dreamcast-ass, NAOMI-board arcade-ass SEGA game Nintendo ever made

I’m not elaborating. If you know, you know.

But how does this relate to the Delta War? Does it sell Santory Beer? Does it have a random dance number despite the very, very, serious tone and visuals?

Are these some very Sweet Memories?

If it isn't, I want nothing about it.

"Metroid" lol
sad-boy-crying.gif

I think I'm picking up what you're putting down, but I'm not sure it's the most Sega Nintendo's gotten

Off the top of my head, I kinda want to say something like Kuru Kuru Kururin, at least conceptually if not quite graphically, has big "how was this not a Sega arcade game" energy

I agree. It's Nintendo trying and succeeding at making a bad video game. Like Sega!

/runs

I mean, you are right. Sega games tend to be extremely fun for the first 30-60 minutes, but then fall out of its weight due to not properly keeping the game interesting enough that game gets less and less fun. Due to either bad design, too much repetitiveness, or a lack of content.

I mean, you are right. Sega games tend to be extremely fun for the first 30-60 minutes, but then fall out of its weight due to not properly keeping the game interesting enough that game gets less and less fun. Due to either bad design, too much repetitiveness, or a lack of content.
I'm not sure if this is an insult to developers at Sega, or the team behind Arms.

Nah, I'd give that to Splatoon. I haven't picked up 3, but the first two were brimming with those vibes. Though, clearly, the success of the series probably led to them doing more SEGA-y things in the future, like ARMS and giving Mario the side-mouth and blurry legs in Wonder. Hell, the entire Switch is the concept for the Nomad more finely realized.

Of course, very big Nintendo games have copied SEGA games more directly than that. Even games that Nintendo fans have been begging to be remade so they can play them for the first time.

That makes me wonder, you don't suppose a lot of those supposed Sega/Sonic Team folks that moved to Nintendo worked on it, do you? I recall a chunk indeed joining the MK8 team that was behind the game.

the amount of anti-Sega sentiment in this thread is worrying

what is wrong with you all? Why can’t you all let me like something?

I think I'm picking up what you're putting down, but I'm not sure it's the most Sega Nintendo's gotten

Off the top of my head, I kinda want to say something like Kuru Kuru Kururin, at least conceptually if not quite graphically, has big "how was this not a Sega arcade game" energy
puru puru puuuru rin
pururin uhhh
puru puru puuuru rin
pururin uhhh

Nah, Starfox is nintendo at its most Sega

for instance, most of the games suck

I'm going to ignore the second part of this post to go

It's certainly a very early example!

I've also wondered at times if some Smash Bros moves for Fox and Falco might be inspired from Alien Soldier >.>

It's not surprising after so many people threw a fit over SEGA Boards last year. It's sad though, isn't it? Ancient fanboy wars preventing people from enjoying good games? Smh my head.

I don't even have Sega nostalgia because Sega basically didn't exist in the Philippines, but I kinda get what @Derachi means? ARMS is colorful and arcade-y in all the right ways.

But here's an idea. Yakuza, but with ARMS characters. Let these stretchy-armed folks roam the streets and pummel the living daylights out of some goons.

You can like whatever you would like. However, I think comparing one of Nintendo's lowest selling Switch games with lowest fan reception, compared to the Sega Dreamcast, the console that nearly destroyed the entire company and made them go third party, is not exactly the most healthy of comparisons. For either party honestly. It's not really doing you any favors there.

That's not to say that Sega doesn't have good stuff. Yakuza, and basically every Atlus game is fantastic. But yeah, you're not doing yourself any favors.

It's kind of like saying that Skull of Bones is the Ubisoft at its most Wii U.

You can like whatever you would like. However, I think comparing one of Nintendo's lowest selling Switch games with lowest fan reception, compared to the Sega Dreamcast, the console that nearly destroyed the entire company and made them go third party, is not exactly the most healthy of comparisons. For either party honestly. It's not really doing you any favors there.

That's not to say that Sega doesn't have good stuff. Yakuza, and basically every Atlus game is fantastic. But yeah, you're not doing yourself any favors.

Ah, now I get it. You just fundamentally misunderstood my initial point and used it as an opportunity to swing your negative opinion around as if it was fact. Got it.

I always wanted a Dreamcast growing up, and I loved the Saturn. I hope that makes you feel better 🪐 ❤️
I bought a Dreamcast at a pawn shop after hearing all the hype. Then I realized all the games were just arcade ports I didn't want to play after 20 minutes!

I'm going to ignore the second part of this post to go

It's certainly a very early example!

I've also wondered at times if some Smash Bros moves for Fox and Falco might be inspired from Alien Soldier >.>
Yeah, I just can't help myself from sabotaging my actual line of thoughts with sarcasm; I really do think Starfox being so arcadey and score based is the closest Nintendo ever got to Sega style games.

Yeah, the best Star Fox games are extremely arcade-y and well loved because of that rather than in spite of it. Feels like things always go a bit off the rails when they try to do something different, even though all anyone really seems to crave is another arcade-style game. It's kinda funny to me considering in ages past, Shigeru Miyamoto made a bit of a big deal about valuing the ability to make games that are pick-up-and-play and fun every time, and even openly stated he lost interest in making a fighting game because Virtua Fighter beat him to the punch.

I bought a Dreamcast at a pawn shop after hearing all the hype. Then I realized all the games were just arcade ports I didn't want to play after 20 minutes!

damn dude, sucks to have a Dreamcast and not play Phantasy Star Online, Shenmue 2, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, or be able to enjoy the fun of replaying arcade style games like the insane variety of fighting and racing games, unique action games like Jet Set Radio, or stand-out shooters like Rez and Ikaruga.

I am here once again to stan ARMS and demand for a bombastic sequel that builds on everything and proves the haters wrong

3UJmmMfPMHb8gXYUNE03PDjl-3R64ZV7Zr7JwDYbdxeye2AsgOsnpaoj1BYYYMlhKyKE4hnX6AJZSsrs2XRPtma0vvlXD10bp1fuwVlVClJ_-oejk0FizN8tn7i_YoOMK_3RvQ5rAB1Sl7im4N9p_7ho6N_otAivnC47NUWVEVgx_hsZ_Pak

Would it be cheating to say that Nintendo at it's most Sega is that time they published a Sega made entry in their IP?

Have you played any Dreamcast games though? There's a whole vibe from that particular era of Sega that ARMS really fits in with. Nothing to do with sales or market perception or console war stuff, I'm talking the games. The visual style, gameplay style, the creative goofiness of it, there is a similarity.

Again, I'm a big fan of that NAOMI era of Sega and one of the things that had the Dreamcast set apart from the competition was how much of a big creative swing most of the games felt like. Goofy, colorful, kinetic creativity. Just like ARMS. It really does feel like a game that'd be at home on the console that gave us Power Stone.

Have you played any Dreamcast games though? There's a whole vibe from that particular era of Sega that ARMS really fits in with. Nothing to do with sales or market perception or console war stuff, I'm talking the games. The visual style, gameplay style, the creative goofiness of it, there is a similarity.

Again, I'm a big fan of that NAOMI era of Sega and one of the things that had the Dreamcast set apart from the competition was how much of a big creative swing most of the games felt like. Goofy, colorful, kinetic creativity. Just like ARMS. It really does feel like a game that'd be at home on the console that gave us Power Stone.
I think every system has its own vibe, but I think that comparing games that (supposedly) unsuccessful to games that were objective failures is kind of funny.

Even without the shackles of Dreamcast, almost all of the Dreamcast properties created at the time were huge failures that were put on ice and led to abhorrent projects like Sonic 06.

For example, Jet Radio. Love the vibe of that game, but both Jet Set Radio and Jet Set Radio Future were well reviewed commercial bombs.

Shenmue famously stopped after 2, was rebooted and then the 3rd game flopped hard and was put on ice.

Crazy Taxi as a series did not do well with critics or commercially after it left the Dreamcast. Crazy Taxi 3 on Xbox pretty much put the series on ice.

I could go on and on. But I do find it interesting because I don't disagree in the comparison of ARMS.

A lot of the biggest problems of ARMS are the exact problems people had with Dreamcast games that made them so undesirable to the general public and led to low sales, even on successful platforms.
I am here once again to stan ARMS and demand for a bombastic sequel that builds on everything and proves the haters wrong

3UJmmMfPMHb8gXYUNE03PDjl-3R64ZV7Zr7JwDYbdxeye2AsgOsnpaoj1BYYYMlhKyKE4hnX6AJZSsrs2XRPtma0vvlXD10bp1fuwVlVClJ_-oejk0FizN8tn7i_YoOMK_3RvQ5rAB1Sl7im4N9p_7ho6N_otAivnC47NUWVEVgx_hsZ_Pak
I actually welcome Nintendo to try. But I afraid it would need so much overhauling to make it work. ARMS had a severe advantage because it was the second first party game that could be played online, and pretty much the first new fighting game on the system and still didn't set the world on fire. Even with new hardware, if it's backwards compatible, Nintendo would be in competition with Splatoon 2, Splatoon 3, Mario Tennis Aces, Smash Ultimate, Switch Sports, and in competition with very high quality third party fighting games like Dragon Ball Fighter Z.

And that's before we even get to new content, and the possibility of something like Street Fighter 6 coming to the new system, along with new online first party games like a new smash.

dsp-what-dsp-huh.gif

Back
Top Bottom