• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon |ST| See all that stuff in there, Raven? That's why your robot never worked!

Okay yeah, that chapter 1 boss is tough
I highly recommend doing the Arena battles, getting some OS upgrades namely the Assault Armor and others of your choosing. Also, when he gets to phase 2 at halfway point or just over, try and stay in the air as much as you can as the flame attack on the ground can really damage you.
Also when Balteus is slashing I just flew away rather than stayed close.

I highly recommend doing the Arena battles, getting some OS upgrades namely the Assault Armor and others of your choosing. Also, when he gets to phase 2 at halfway point or just over, try and stay in the air as much as you can as the flame attack on the ground can really damage you.
Also when Balteus is slashing I just flew away rather than stayed close.
Another thing I can recommend is basically doing the most to maintain your pressure on the boss. Machine guns and/or pulse guns are great for ripping up its shield, and then you can usually have enough left over to pour on the damage once its broken (and if you can induce stagger, so the much better).

But in short, the main thing is just to not give up and study its patterns.

We got dudes who are besting the boss with the STARTER mech, after all!

The bosses aren't necessarily the hardest part of the game. Yes, they are intimidating at first, some of them more than others, and they are spectacles, pretty much without exceptions.

However, there are some missions I found way harder than most of the big boss fights.
Some have you to go through two AC battles back to back, another through a 1 v 2 that turns into a 1 v 3, all without checkpoints in between. If you go for all battle logs, there are some tough setups as well.

The main takeaway for me was that once I got truly comfortable with the controls and they pretty much came natural, things started to click. I don't think it is necessarily a hard game, or that there is bullshit artificial difficulty, but it is very hard to get into, and will eat you alive if you can't wrap your head around the controls.

Where things really start to make almost the entire challenge trivial is when you figure out how to build your AC to adapt to different situations. It is, imo, absurdly good and rewarding game design, in a way that I don't think I have quite experienced to a similar degree in any other game I've played.

I also spent way too much time attempting to outmaneuver my opponents in two dimensions, when there was a third one sitting right there all this time.

Another thing I can recommend is basically doing the most to maintain your pressure on the boss. Machine guns and/or pulse guns are great for ripping up its shield, and then you can usually have enough left over to pour on the damage once its broken (and if you can induce stagger, so the much better)
Cool, so I guess I do get the general gist of how to fight him, I just have to get his attack patterns down pat. But I'll probably do what @SumioMondo suggested, get some upgrades so I feel like I'm sorta progressing instead of ramming my head into a wall.

I highly recommend doing the Arena battles, getting some OS upgrades namely the Assault Armor and others of your choosing
That's probably what I'll do for my next AC gaming session. I really wish this was on Switch so I can put more time into it hahaha.

So, my speculation of the game after getting all of the achievements and S-Ranking the entire game:

The ending of the new game++ route is basically a huge tease for the obligatory Armored Core expansion game that builds on everything that was in the original numbered entry and dials it to eleven.

You are basically God at the end of this game - both in lore and actual gameplay wise. You are everywhere and anywhere. You have no more challengers - nothing that can come remotely close being threatening. How are they going to make the expansion any hype without stakes?

Quite simple, really - the expansion is going to stick you with a completely different protagonist who now has to deal with surviving the monstrosity that is Raven. I'm expecting that the starting level is going to feature us in a grunt MT trying to survive the coral apocalypse. I expect meta builds in this game to be laughed at when you're dealing with multiple copies of that monster they built with an absolutely underpowered rifle and cheap missile launchers and expect that you still remember how to reload properly.

Ālea iacta est. The die has been cast, and we will face the consequences.

So, my speculation of the game after getting all of the achievements and S-Ranking the entire game:

The ending of the new game++ route is basically a huge tease for the obligatory Armored Core expansion game that builds on everything that was in the original numbered entry and dials it to eleven.

You are basically God at the end of this game - both in lore and actual gameplay wise. You are everywhere and anywhere. You have no more challengers - nothing that can come remotely close being threatening. How are they going to make the expansion any hype without stakes?

Quite simple, really - the expansion is going to stick you with a completely different protagonist who now has to deal with surviving the monstrosity that is Raven. I'm expecting that the starting level is going to feature us in a grunt MT trying to survive the coral apocalypse. I expect meta builds in this game to be laughed at when you're dealing with multiple copies of that monster they built with an absolutely underpowered rifle and cheap missile launchers and expect that you still remember how to reload properly.

Ālea iacta est. The die has been cast, and we will face the consequences.

Pretty sure that
it's not the first time From have done this very thing in a previous AC game "sequel" story: at least this time, they'll probably make it so Raven is equipped with all the OP equipment we outfitted Raven with lol. So it's gonna be hard if you've outfitted the AC with so much ridiculous equipment.

Some impressions after starting last night:

• If you ask me, FromSoftware is batting 1.000 on having extremely good intro cutscenes— Armored Core VI included. The intro is short but super effective. The bleak, crummy world the game takes place in sort of speaks for itself. I know what I need to know before I’m ever in control!
  • The controls felt a little complex at first, but necessarily so. You have to dart around in three dimensions after all! It starts to feel comfortable quite quickly. Still a little out of control with the dash, but overall it has felt natural. That’s good, because you can really get mucked out there and need to have your head on a swivel!
  • This game looks awesome. Anyone complaining about this looking too bland obviously has no appreciation for the industrial hell worlds it’s clearly celebrating! HDR looks very nice. Runs great in Performance mode on Series S.
  • Apart from the visual fidelity, the menus and UI look great too. I love the shot of your AC being lifted out of the hangar when you start a mission, followed by your UI booting up.
  • Left off at something I can’t remember the name of, a buddy helps you fight the first phase before you’re on your own. Got really close but no cigar. I think a few more tries should do it! I kept getting mucked by the mines it drops, perhaps I need to be more airborne.
  • I have the pink & green mech of my dreams. Thanks FromSoft.

Me, with my nerves frayed after finally, finally beating Balteus:

bea63bf7-a4d6-40d9-8322-932df0bbab7e_text.gif

The story is good in this game. For a gameplay first dev like From Software, I really enjoy their Armored Core stories usually and this might be my favourite one yet..and NG+ is definitely worth doing.

Me, with my nerves frayed after finally, finally beating Balteus:

bea63bf7-a4d6-40d9-8322-932df0bbab7e_text.gif

Well done!

There's so many hype moments in this game...

just-you-wait.gif

NG+ in this game is utilized extremely well since it makes the obvious but often overlooked expectation that the player has played the game before on subsequent playthroughs and provides new content with different gameplay scenarios with appropriately scaled up enemies. Crucially, the new stuff shows up relatively early and is sprinkled in alongside most of the original content, so you know that there's still plenty more of the game is holding back while you're indulging in the stereotypical NG+ power fantasy of blowing through the original challenges with superior firepower. The changes introduced in NG+ also make sense even from the story perspective - you as the player are starting off as a more experienced combatant and the factions react appropriately. The player character being a complete blank slate makes this plausible without any need for a convoluted lore explanation - you could have been anyone, even a better version of the player you once were.

NG+ in this game is utilized extremely well since it makes the obvious but often overlooked expectation that the player has played the game before on subsequent playthroughs and provides new content with different gameplay scenarios with appropriately scaled up enemies. Crucially, the new stuff shows up relatively early and is sprinkled in alongside most of the original content, so you know that there's still plenty more of the game is holding back while you're indulging in the stereotypical NG+ power fantasy of blowing through the original challenges with superior firepower. The changes introduced in NG+ also make sense even from the story perspective - you as the player are starting off as a more experienced combatant and the factions react appropriately. The player character being a complete blank slate makes this plausible without any need for a convoluted lore explanation - you could have been anyone, even a better version of the player you once were.
It will only get better from here on

Looks like there's a new patch going live or that has gone live, and look and behold, they nerfed bosses.

Do i break my own rule of the three strikes to give the game another chance? This will take some internal discussions with myself.

Well damn I wish they did that before I spent my weekend gaming hours on Balteus lol

You definitely see the handwriting of the Sekiro team in AC6.

It's also striking how it lacks the nuance of Miyazaki's games where the story bossed are hard, but doable, and the bullshit difficult stuff is more found in side areas and optional bosses.

Better gamedesign would've been to either give the player full access to how to adapt and set up their AC, cause i've read that some quite important stuff unlocks after Baltheus, and that includes more money, more of those OS points and a better variety of AC parts.
Or it would've simply be enough to ... dunno ... take some things from Baltheus. Either that he could nuke, stunlock and combo you into a OHKO, or his insane mobility and ability to dodge. I mean ... by the time i turned around to follow it, it was already at the other side of the map.

FromSoftware. You scamps. You absolute trash bags. I can’t think of any other company’s games where I get a psychosomatic response from playing. My heart races. My palms get sweaty! It is annoying to talk about intangibles, BUT…there is just something about the way they do it. I can’t deny.

Speaking of The Way They Do It, let’s talk about your friend and mine — BALTEUS. Managed to get to this boss before hanging it up for today and wow. Can’t speak to it pre patch but uh, still seems pretty hard to me! Getting him down to ~30% was the best I could do this run. Maybe next time…

BALTEUS you are straight dog water but I have to admit, I'm still thinking about your GLM (Good Looking Missiles) while I await a rematch.

TTvcpeP.gif

Feel like I had such a good session this morning that really drove home the build potential to me. I beat BALTEUS! After getting quite close several times with my go-to build I relented, quit the mission, hit the shop to buy a range of parts, and rushed back to Big Boy.

The training missions let you try out a range of different ACs, but those are against fodder enemies. It was really illuminating to try BALTEUS with, say, tank treads and quickly get to the bottom of their strengths and weaknesses against a toughie like him. After some more out-there experimentation, I built out a medium weight bipedal AC with duel shotguns and beat him handily. Super satisfying to go through the process. Took me the better part of two hours to beat in total, but I learned a LOT.

Phew! Onto Chapter 2.

1lwkHgz.gif

That ejecting shotgun shell gets me every time

The patch really did a number on the bosses, it only took me three tries to take down the Sea Spider with my own double grenade-gun tetrapod.

Whoa, just played for about 90 minutes and…did the entirety of Chapter 2! That was fast. Sea Spider as it is now isn’t so bad. Took me 4-5 tries.

Whoa, just played for about 90 minutes and…did the entirety of Chapter 2! That was fast. Sea Spider as it is now isn’t so bad. Took me 4-5 tries.
Yup, chapter 2 was really short. And Sea Spider wasn't as bad as Balteus (obviously comparing pre- to post-patch).

I'm not complaining about being able to progress though

Yup, chapter 2 was really short. And Sea Spider wasn't as bad as Balteus (obviously comparing pre- to post-patch).

I'm not complaining about being able to progress though
Oh a hundo 😄 I’m glad the patch hit pretty much right as I picked this up. I’m all the way OK with the difficulty being a few notches below Spirit-Rending!

Keep coming back to this to grind a couple million worth of currency to purchase the last remaining weapon parts so I will have unlocked everything.

I may or may not make a lengthy post about this at some point, but this is the first game in quite some time that has truly impressed me in terms of game design, and it is my number one contender for my personal game of the year at this point.

It has been almost two weeks since I've seen the true ending, and I still can't keep this game out of my head.

Agreed @MissingNo. this is game is climbing up my list HOT

Also was clearing out the notes on my phone, realized I missed a crucial detail in my last post:

Invincible Rummy yelling “MAD STOOOOMP!” as he blew up was extremely funny

Agreed @MissingNo. this is game is climbing up my list HOT

Also was clearing out the notes on my phone, realized I missed a crucial detail in my last post:

Invincible Rummy yelling “MAD STOOOOMP!” as he blew up was extremely funny
Almost, but not quite Roberto level meme-worthiness.

CEL-240 was probably my favorite boss fight so far! I felt like I was reenacting a duel between a Gundam protagonist and masked antagonist. The clear lesson from all these bosses is to throw caution to the wind and pile on the aggression.

Played through Chapter 3 this morning.

The fake out briefing that leads into fighting the Raven you stole your ID from was a cool moment. The Ice Worm boss was great! In FromSoft parlance it was the “story boss” of this game, and they nailed it. I’m getting more and more impressed with how much I’m enjoying the characters and overall story, despite the low-key presentation. Wish you rolled with a crew a little more often, it’s fun!

Think I’m nearing the end, and I’ll probably be able to finish the campaign on the weekend. I heard New Game Plus will have cool new stuff?

Wrapped things up. Final boss was a little anti-climactic but I think I'll be returning to this game a lot. It just feels so good to move your unit around.

Think I’m nearing the end, and I’ll probably be able to finish the campaign on the weekend. I heard New Game Plus will have cool new stuff?

NG+ is an absolute must! There's a lot of cool new things you will discover, plus different routes means different missions and story.

Cannot even fathom how satisfying it would be to press a big red button and have something EXPLODE. I should have been a Mythbuster.

Just starting this up now, getting through the mission for the Chapter 4 boss and
LMAO at FromSoft pretty well putting a bonewheel in there

WOO! Was close but I got the boss on my first try back and it was due to a single crucial change in my build. The customization — and how meaningful it is — remains one of the central joys of this game.

Ahh but now I’m in a junky AC and I’m scared, help

OK one more post and I will stop gumming up the thread; I feel like this is the best place to ask though! I absolutely love this game, and I know absolutely nothing about anime. What would you recommend I watch RE: mecha anime?

OK one more post and I will stop gumming up the thread; I feel like this is the best place to ask though! I absolutely love this game, and I know absolutely nothing about anime. What would you recommend I watch RE: mecha anime?
Gundam is the quintessential mecha anime franchise, and Witch from Mercury (the newest entry) is a great place to start since it's entirely standalone and fairly well written. It's also free to watch on Youtube:

Gundam is the quintessential mecha anime franchise, and Witch from Mercury (the newest entry) is a great place to start since it's entirely standalone and fairly well written. It's also free to watch on Youtube:

Wow, thank you for the quick reply! And free to watch to boot. I will definitely check it out. I feel like it’s weird that I have painted a Gundam but have never seen an episode 😂

What would you recommend I watch RE: mecha anime?
Armored Trooper VOTOMS is what I would say is the closest to an anime form of Armored Core.

Gundam is another mecha anime mainstay. The Iron-Blooded Orphans subseries is probably the most similar to Armored Core, but you can't go wrong with most of them. Witch From Mercury is the most recent one, I'm not as hot on it as previous series but it's still worth a watch.

Patlabor is another good shout out. Leans more on the realistic side. Well, as realistic as giant robots can be.

86 (like, that's the title, Eighty Six) doesn't have the humanoid models, but it has a similar sort of bleak atmosphere. It is also masterfully written, and is my favorite of the recent mecha shows.

Thank you for the recommendations! Thursday night I think I'll have a good chunk of time to really give them a shot. The mecha can't stop.

Finished this up early this morning. Just fantastic. I want to write up some more substantial thoughts but for now I'll just say I'd be surprised if this wasn't my GOTY.

Back
Top Bottom