• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon |ST| See all that stuff in there, Raven? That's why your robot never worked!

Sumio Mondo

Lynchian
Pronouns
He/Him
giphy.gif

Synopsis:

Armored Core is a third-person shooter mecha video game series developed by FromSoftware. The series centers on a silent protagonist who takes on work as a mercenary pilot in the far future in dystopian settings, operating large robot combat units known as Armored Cores (or "ACs" for short) at the behest of corporate and private clients.

As the player completes missions for these clients, they gain credits to improve their Armored Core and unlock further opportunities to make money.

Genre: Mech Action / FromSoftware
Publisher: Bandai Namco
Developer: From Software
Release Date: August 25, 2023
Platforms: PS4/PS5/Xbox One/Xbox Series/Windows

Armored Core History:

First founded in 1986, FromSoftware was originally a business software developer that didn't develop video games. However, a number of employees worked on PC games between larger projects and had a passion for various topics like Western fantasy and giant robots. When the larger company decided to branch into video game development, its small development team tried to make a PC game featuring 3D robots navigating an underground labyrinth. This was halted by technical issues, but both its ideas and its failure paved the way for FromSoftware’s biggest games. With the reveal of the Sony PlayStation, the first King’s Field was quickly prepared for the PlayStation's 1994 launch window, and it spawned two sequels over the following two years.

However, something else was building momentum in the background. Renowned mecha designer Shoji Kawamori was approached before the PlayStation's launch to work on a game with FromSoftware. The initial pitch involved player-designed modular mecha, with Kawamori focusing that idea into machines built around armored cores. The idea of mecha navigating underground labyrinths was revisited, with the explanation being that humanity had retreated underground after a calamity. Dystopian megacorporations employing mercenaries called Ravens had risen to power, and the player would slowly learn about this through mission briefings as they continued their piloting career.
One thing led to another, and the first Armored Core was released in Japan for PS1 on July 10th, 1997, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Source: https://gamerant.com/armored-core-history-fromsoftware/

Story Overview:

giphy.gif

A mysterious new substance was discovered on the remote planet, Rubicon 3. As an energy source, this substance was expected to dramatically advance humanity’s technological and communication capabilities. Instead, it caused a catastrophe that submerged the planet and surrounding stars in flames and storms, forming a Burning Star System.

Almost half a century later, the same substance has resurfaced on Rubicon 3, a planet now contaminated and sealed-off as a result of the catastrophe.

Extra-terrestrial corporations and resistance groups fight for control of the substance. The player infiltrates Rubicon as an independent mercenary and finds themself in a struggle over the substance with the corporations and other factions.

Dynamic, Omni-directional Battles

giphy.gif

Pilot your mech in fast-paced, omni-directional battles, taking advantage of your mech’s mobility both on land and in the air to ensure victory across massive stages.

Customize Your Mech to Your Playstyle

giphy.gif

Explore a breadth of playstyles and combat styles by customizing your mech’s buildout between missions.

Pick and equip your preferred parts via a robust customization system that can dramatically alter your play strategy, maneuverability, and battle style.

Thrilling Boss Battles

giphy.gif

Deploy a wide variety of offensive and defensive tactics at close and long range to take down powerful enemy bosses.

Kota Hoshino returns to produce music for Armored Core VI.

This is the first entry in the series since Verdict Day a decade ago...

Welcome back, Raven.

0lGXrOTF.jpg

sWmPB66b.jpg

IiLc4CyE.jpg

Reviews:

MC score
OC score

Trailers:

Official Site

Last edited:
Nice OP! Plus +1 manual Yeah! right now for your subtitle. Also the game looks really good. I don't think I have what it takes to dive into this right now, but I will be thinking about it for sure

Your first pic doesn't work on my end OP, just gives me a thumbnail for EZ gifs just FYI

I've never played an Armored Core but the FOMO is getting to me, I do love giant robots and this is on sale on CDKeys right now... very tempting

Between my backlog and the stacked releases this year though, it's a lot

Your first pic doesn't work on my end OP, just gives me a thumbnail for EZ gifs just FYI

I've never played an Armored Core but the FOMO is getting to me, I do love giant robots and this is on sale on CDKeys right now... very tempting

Thanks, changed to GIPHY instead, that working now?

Thanks, changed to GIPHY instead, that working now?
Yep!

I'm probably gonna end up folding because it sounds like this is a shorter game (and that's a good thing) and the mission structure will lend itself well to playing on and off. Gonna try to finish FFX soonish and then this will likely be my last day 1 purchase until Mario Wonder.

Plus knowing From, this 45 dollar deal on CDKeys is the cheapest it will be all year lol

Still feels unreal getting Armored Core 6
I remember when the leaked screenshots came out a while ago. I was like "No way are we going to get a new Armored Core game."

And now I'll be playing a new one in less than 24 hours. I put off buying Resident Evil 4 Remake and Baldur's Gate 3 for this, and I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Have about 5 hours in the game so far. Just unlocked OS tuning. Loving it! Also found out the game has photo mode, so here's some pics. All of these were taken in the garage or in training, and it's all gear you can get after the first few missions so no spoilers here!

F4WTaD0XkAAmC7P

F4WTb46XwAAOEVB

F4WThRVXIAAD3MP

Managed to play through chapter 1 and the first mission of chapter 2 so far, and I'm having a blast. Some of those missions are intense, and then there's the boss fights. Phew.

Will post a picture of my AC next time I fire up my Xbox.

I’ve watched that launch trailer like 20 times, so good. And a great looking photo mode too?! This might be too tough to resist.

How are people here finding the difficulty so far?

I’ve watched that launch trailer like 20 times, so good. And a great looking photo mode too?! This might be too tough to resist.

How are people here finding the difficulty so far?
For me, it's got that good "tough but fair" vibe I most love.

The intro level boss got me once, but then I paid attention to what my handler was saying re: take the fight to the air with it, and I got it on my next attempt.

And most of my other deaths could be largely chalked up to just taking my lumps because the game wants to stress that I may need to change tactics, either by being more aggro when it calls for it, or put together another build to act as a counter for my opposition.

Even as a vet of From's mecha games, this has still been a learning experience. And I love every minute of it.

I'm completely stuck on that
Balteus
boss fight. Anyone else? Only like 30% of players have beaten it yet apparently, so I know I'm not the only one. lol. I've tried all sorts of different builds but the damn thing is so damn fast I can barely keep up with the camera spinning around constantly and sometimes the boss is above me raining down destruction, l other times below or far away, I can barely keep up with the git. I'm about to throw the towel in for today.

I beat the helicopter boss and the
"Wall" boss and the Juggernaut boss
all in one go (down to the wire though with the Helicopter boss) but this one is a nightmare. Anyone got any strats/build ideas?

And most of my other deaths could be largely chalked up to just taking my lumps because the game wants to stress that I may need to change tactics
It’s nice to hear this! I think the conceit of being able to rebuild your AC when you die would be a huge help to my resolve.
It’s hard as hell but the checkpoints are generous and respawning with all your items makes me motivated to keep trying.
I didn’t know about this but that would also be a huge help to me, I find that so demoralizing in Souls! 😂

Don’t think I can swing picking this up right away, but maybe with some birthday cash next month. Even if I don’t end up finishing it, it looks too good to skip.

Balteus
boss fight. Anyone else? Only like 30% of players have beaten it yet apparently, so I know I'm not the only one. lol. I've tried all sorts of different builds but the damn thing is so damn fast I can barely keep up with the camera spinning around constantly and sometimes the boss is above me raining down destruction, l other times below or far away, I can barely keep up with the git. I'm about to throw the towel in for today.

all in one go (down to the wire though with the Helicopter boss) but this one is a nightmare. Anyone got any strats/build ideas?
I haven't watched this video yet (or gotten to that boss lol), but I saw this posted earlier:

undefined
What I did was plasma gun, laser blade and double plasma missiles. Pelt it with missiles and gun until shield is down (plasma weapons help deplete its shield faster) and then go ham with missiles and laser blade once the shield is down. Rinse and repeat.

I found evading towards the boss made avoiding its missile barrages easier, but you still have to pray it doesn't whip out its flamethrower once you get too close.

Only managed to pull it off by a hair's width.

Balteus

Double microwave guns, double shotguns. E z p z.

Behold, the mighty Bumblebee (because it is definitely too chunky to be a hornet).

DyZc7xk.jpg

ojhN86W.jpg

I haven't watched this video yet (or gotten to that boss lol), but I saw this posted earlier:

What I did was plasma gun, laser blade and double plasma missiles. Pelt it with missiles and gun until shield is down (plasma weapons help deplete its shield faster) and then go ham with missiles and laser blade once the shield is down. Rinse and repeat.

I found evading towards the boss made avoiding its missile barrages easier, but you still have to pray it doesn't whip out its flamethrower once you get too close.

Only managed to pull it off by a hair's width.

Double microwave guns, double shotguns. E z p z.

Thanks. You'll never guess what happened, literally as soon as I posted me being stuck, went back on and beat the boss in the very next go and that was me not even changing anything about my build.
Ain't no technique like complaining on the internet to break the pattern!

No wonder some of the late game parts look so GOOD. These are Superstars in the mecha genre, right here! Perhaps none more poignant than Kawamori himself, who was there for AC at the beginning!

That pissant
Sea Spider
nearly broke me yesterday night. At one point I ran out of ammo with a sliver of its health left, but then I got it in the next run.

First phase was no problemo, but it kept getting me in the second half. Took me like 15, 20 attempts.

On another note, I reluctantly ditched my heavy, high AP quadlegs build for a light reverse-jointed one and the difference in agility is astronomical.

Last edited:
Balteus

There is no one strategy to beating it - I've survived the entire mission on a reverse joint dual shotgun build with maxed out direct hit OS tuning. The keys to this fight are two lessons that will serve you well throughout the rest of the game:
  • Knowing what each stat does and how it translates into actual gameplay. These numbers matter, and they dictate what you can and can't do. Just blindly copying someone else's build without understanding what those strengths and limitations are will get you killed if you can't get accustomed to how that build works. You don't necessarily need to be able to exactly predict what results these numbers will have, but you at least need to know aspects like how those numbers translate into tangible effects: distance covered by a boost, what is the effective range of a weapon, how quickly your energy recovers, etc. This understanding will help you build an AC better on your own terms - something that you're comfortable with using.
  • Movement dictates everything in combat, and energy management dictates your movement. Defense in this game can be distilled into not getting hit in the first place, but all of the maneuvers to do so has an energy cost - either literally in battle or as a tradeoff in building the AC. On the other hand, dealing the most damage also means staying in your weapons' effective range, which also means moving and thus requires energy. This means that you have to be doing this constant ballet of just moving enough to not get hit and conserving your energy until you have an opening to burst that energy into offense. The shoulder weapons are primarily there to degrade shield and ACS (stagger) while in the defensive state since they typically require little to no energy to use, and your hand weapons are used to capitalize on any offensive opportunity (which may even be while still dodging if the weapon stats allow for it).
This is the battle that tests whether you've really understand the game's systems and mechanics - simply knowing the boss does is not enough to beat it if you do not know your own AC can do. The boss has very predictable and telegraphed moveset that doesn't really require extremely high levels of dexterity or reflexes to avoid, but instead necessitates building an AC that adequately avoid these attacks while still dealing constant damage.

tbh with both the first and second chapter bosses I went with a very light and speedy build and it went pretty smooth, if anything I thought the first major boss was much harder. And for the missions themselves I play with a much more heavy build that'd be way to slow to avoid the attacks from "serious" enemies.

I think the most important thing with Armored Core is to not get attached to your builds and just quickly swap things out and experiment.

The game is also pretty generous with how you can redo past missions to get more money as well as selling parts at the same price as you bought them.

tbh with both the first and second chapter bosses I went with a very light and speedy build and it went pretty smooth, if anything I thought the first major boss was much harder. And for the missions themselves I play with a much more heavy build that'd be way to slow to avoid the attacks from "serious" enemies.

I think the most important thing with Armored Core is to not get attached to your builds and just quickly swap things out and experiment.

The game is also pretty generous with how you can redo past missions to get more money as well as selling parts at the same price as you bought them.

The helicopter fight? Yeah it was tough but I beat it in one go.

I found the tetrapod really good for Smart Cleaner boss since you can hover above and rain down damage into the weak spot, you could also tank that encounter and shoot into that furnace opening which is also a weak point to build the stagger meter.

Just on the Sea Spider boss now.

In the middle of Chapter 3, and while the ramp-up in difficulty is rather steep, I feel like so is my learning curve. 17 hours in, I have at least a serviceable grasp of how to adapt my build to different situations, even though it involves a lot of trial and error. Sometimes, even marginal changes make a world of a difference.

Arena missions are a great change of pace from regular missions, and I always do them back to back as soon as a new batch becomes available. Most of them have been a breeze, and I barely needed a second or even third attempt, but 11/B was an absolute nightmare for me.

The helicopter fight? Yeah it was tough but I beat it in one go.

I found the tetrapod really good for Smart Cleaner boss since you can hover above and rain down damage into the weak spot, you could also tank that encounter and shoot into that furnace opening which is also a weak point to build the stagger meter.

Just on the Sea Spider boss now.
regarding bosses I was specifically talking about those end of chapters ones (missiles dude and Sea Spider) but even then it applies to the rest (besides the helicopter since you have to use the starting mech for that).

I'm honestly not seeing much reasons to go for heavy builds besides purely for variety sakes during missions tho I'll admit longer missions do make a more health based mech more viable (tho I'd still switch to a light build for combat focused moments).

Last edited:
Watched a friend play tonight, it was SO LIT! 🔥 Felt so good to be sinking into a comfy couch, watching AC again on a big screen- felt like my old home for a moment. 🥹

Love the speedy flight of certain builds.

I'm in the middle of chapter 4 by now. This is the most viscerally fun I've had with a game since Sekiro. Just pure bliss to become completely absorbed in the game and finally starting to 1) get super comfortable with the controls and 2) starting to intuitively understand what the build needs in order to overcome the challenge at hand. And I love that it's mission based and that you can do small missions and arena fights, tinker with the build and then go tackle a bigger mission and a boss. I got sucked into the loop immediately.

I'm new to the series but I just love this game. It might not reach TotK's level of magical feeling, but I think ACVI is a very very good video game and certainly one of the best games I've played this year together with TotK and Hi-fi rush.

Reached Chapter 5 now, and it feels like the end is nigh. Pretty satisfied with my cookie-cutter standard build at this point.

zFlAWb6.jpg

ZxKeEum.jpg

This is my favourite AC at this point, halfway through Chapter 3 and unless it drops in quality a lot, it will stay that way. There's good mission variety it feels as well. The game feels really polished.

First playthrough, check.

Truly amazing game, I think I'll just continue with NG+ straight away.

First playthrough, check.

Truly amazing game, I think I'll just continue with NG+ straight away.

Same here. I’m done with chapter 1 now and the new content in NG+ is really intriguing.

Just a good ol’fashion video game with tight controls and a nice challenge this one. They rarely make ‘‘em like this anymore.

Same here. I’m done with chapter 1 now and the new content in NG+ is really intriguing.

Just a good ol’fashion video game with tight controls and a nice challenge this one. They rarely make ‘‘em like this anymore.
Yeah, I just breezed through the first two chapters on NG+ and saw some new content already.

A bit surprised
the game does not get more difficult in NG+ like it does in Souls games, but I actually like that. It is so much fun to just annihilate everything with upgrades you did not have access to at that stage the first time.

Last edited:
NG++ completed, all missions and endings done.

Truly amazing game, it is definitely up there with Bloodborne and Sekiro for me, which is the highest praise it could have gotten.

If only the older AC games were not so hard to find and play in this day and age, let alone on current hardware…

Finally got to put some time in and finish the prologue mission. Quick and dirty impressions: the controls are crispy as heck, it really feels like you're controlling a robot. Making scrap metal out of enemies is so satisfying. My mecha fan heart is singing.

How easy is it to change up builds? I'm looking forward to making a missile-spam spiderbot.

How easy is it to change up builds? I'm looking forward to making a missile-spam spiderbot.
Pretty easily done. Obviously, you gotta put in the time to both get some money to unlock more tiers of parts in the shop, as well as to buy them.

Also, another early game tip: Make sure you do the tutorial missions that Allmind sets up for you as soon as they're available. Doing them also unlocks a few parts for free!

so I previously said that I wasn't gonna focus on an heavy build for bosses and stuff. But ever since I've decided to use the light tank treadmill part I'm now getting enough ground mobility while using relatively heavy parts for the upper body.

izqfueW.jpg

with this bad boy I've been a bit more on cruise mode besides a very specific boss so far, even the duels have been a breeze up to the last one (in S rank).

cBKaaBu.jpg

Depending on the mission I either use the laser Lance or another gatling gun to dual wield and nobody has been able to really stop this build (with the song birds doing massive damage).

so I previously said that I wasn't gonna focus on an heavy build for bosses and stuff. But ever since I've decided to use the light tank treadmill part I'm now getting enough ground mobility while using relatively heavy parts for the upper body.

izqfueW.jpg

with this bad boy I've been a bit more on cruise mode besides a very specific boss so far, even the duels have been a breeze up to the last one (in S rank).

cBKaaBu.jpg

Depending on the mission I either use the laser Lance or another gatling gun to dual wield and nobody has been able to really stop this build (with the song birds doing massive damage).
Have you dabbled in multiplayer much yet? How's the experience? I'm curious to know if the network is good and active, I've just been replaying/playing the Missions so far, may try it after finishing the game this week.

I still have to grind about 4 mio worth of COE to purchase the last remaining weapon parts, but I figured I'd take a break for a while and play some Starfield instead.

There is absolutely no way I am going to attempt to S-rank all missions, though. Some of them are absolutely brutal.

Have you dabbled in multiplayer much yet? How's the experience? I'm curious to know if the network is good and active, I've just been replaying/playing the Missions so far, may try it after finishing the game this week.
Tbh I really didn't touch the multiplayer and I'm already going through NG+
in general I'm not much of a multiplayer guy when it comes to From Software games (even with Armored Core being quite different).
If From Soft ever considers doing PVE content for Armored Content I'd be all for it tho.

Sadly, i have to say that i shelved the game and deleted it from the PS5.

I just wasted another day of the little gaming time i have, again for a double-digit amount of tries to beat the Chapter 1 boss.
That's a total of three days wasted for this, including grinding money to buy new parts and play around with the loadouts after consulting online strategies.

Nothing helped.

Even if you somehow manage to come well enough out of the bullet-hell like that is the first part of this fight, the stuff that start on the next part is simply bullshit.

I believe this game was made by a lot of people from the Sekiro devteam, and ... yeah ... with this boss i definitely see it. Sekiro had it's share of bullshit, but it was doable. Though i hit a roadblock by going after one specific ending, a situation where you basically have 3 boss fights right after another, without a checkpoint or option to stock up again between the first two.
But this? Nah.

Due to my limited gaming time, games get three strikes for wasting my time before i shelve them. There's a few exceptions, for example Soulsborne games, but generally, three strikes and you're off to the shelf, and i won't revisit you.

I kinda wish they had a demo for this that went up to / included this first boss, because i would've saved those 70€ then. I spared myself from Wo Long thanks to the demo, for example.
Though i'm not mad about the money, i have enough, but the lost time.

Guess this was the first and last AC game i got.
Though, it's a shame. I really liked what i played up to this boss. Difficult, but not impossible.

Back
Top Bottom